Halfway through reading Bendis avengers

As a DC fan and not much of a marvel one I don't really know what to make of his switch to DC, so I'm about halfway through his avengers run trying to get a feel for what a superman run might be like. It's fine. I can't tell if its just okay or if I'm not as into it because I'm not as invested in the characters. So far I'm intrigued at the idea of having a singular powerful vision for the superman franchise, which is something that's been lacking in his books for a long time. What I'm most anticipating is how he claims he wants to give metropolis as much of a sense of place as current gotham. Please create a wider super-family dynamic.

it's gonna be like byrne but worse

Bendis is a cucked out, over-the-hill hack now. Fuck him.

>or if I'm not as into it because I'm not as invested in the characters.

It might be more that. I know a lot of people who've enjoyed his run but only had a vague knowledge of Avengers. But those that have followed many of the Avengers for a long time before Bendis, didn't really like his run.

That being said his Avengers work in the 00's isn't his worst work. His worst work was mainly stuff in the 10's like Civil War 2 and stuff like that.

It'll be thin whatever it is. 7 years of Avengers and it was all plot. Very little character work except for one or two of his favourites.

You're not invested in the characters because he wrote them poorly.

Yeah, I never touched an Avengers book before picking up New Avengers and I mostly enjoyed his run, well for a good while anyway.
I also enjoyed his Ultimate Spider-Man run too, up to issue 100 or whenever Ultimatum happened.
But I also never read Spider-Man 616 stuff before that.

I get the feeling it'll be worse among long time fans this time, Bendis' talent has really dried up.

he's good but mostly bad.

his Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, and beginning of New Avengers was good, rest all shti esp. Secret Invasion

If you don't have any reference point for the characters he's writing or what they've been through, then he can be tolerable, you'll just assume the characters he's shitting on was always shit.
But I'm gonna warn you now, if he ever starts an arc that goes over 4 issues just wait for the trade to come out. There's nothing wrong with with long story arcs, the Black Ring arc that led into Action Comics #1000 was good and that was 11 parts +2. But Bendis is infamous for decompression, what could wrap up in 1 or 2 issues takes 3 or 4.

*led into Action Comics #900

Bendis, Like the writer?

>But Bendis is infamous for decompression, what could wrap up in 1 or 2 issues takes 3 or 4.
I feel like a lot of current writers are guilty of that, but Bendis is one of the worst.

Yeah, Bendis.

Brian.

Micheal.

Bendis. THE Bendis

>I get the feeling it'll be worse among long time fans this time, Bendis' talent has really dried up.

I'm cautiously waiting for it. I haven't bought his Marvel work in a long time (though I have read some of it to get an opinion on), but the only reason I'm considering giving him a chance is the possibility that Marvel's lack of quality control in the last five years is what made Bendis' work subpar.

I'd like to hope that's true. But if it turns out bad, I'm not giving him any more chances.

>So far I'm intrigued at the idea of having a singular powerful vision for the superman franchise

And you're expecting Bendis to provide that? Goof grief.

Bendis. He's a writer? Like... he types out ideas? Dialogues? Narration?

And people pay him for it?

Like a job? Writing as a job?

>Half way through
If you want to keep a decent opinion about Bendis you should stop there. The longer you read the more you'll notice a lot of...regurgitation in character speech and behavior.

Concerning his DC work...I'm sure the first thing he'll do is, heh, heh, "make every character talk like people usually talk in real life"...heh, heh.

Bendis hits his peak around Secret Invasion and steady goes downhill...

>Marvel's lack of quality control in the last five years is what made Bendis' work subpar.
This could be a thing. Didn't the dog fucker go from utter trash to halfway decent jumping to DC?

No, he's still shit, but DC is sk bad that he passes as good. Wait for a few months and rebirthfags will start defending Bendis too, calling it rebirth magic and shit.

Not fooling anybody.

You already have them saying stuff like “Hell do good on a character like Superman” and “editors will keep him in line” and spouting off the DChad meme is real! I just want to say that I am so sorry for DC, I’ve been wishing for Bendis to be gone from marvel for years, but I didn’t mean for DC to contract that plague, no one should ever have to suffer with Bendis ruining their comic line, least now the Trinity of Bendis’ is complete with King and Snyder beside him.

Pretty much.

>Please create a wider super-family dynamic.
Fuck you, spinning a whole crew out of a single character always turns into cancer

This could be said for a lot of Bendis' stuff, honestly. It's like he wants to be Byrne but doesn't have the talent to write on his level or the fetishes to at least make it interestingly bad.

>it's gonna be like byrne but worse

Which Byrne are you gonna compare him to? 80's Man of Steel era Byrne or late 90's Spider-Man Chapter One era Byrne?

Just stop after dark reign, the finale to his run is age of ultron which is one of the shittiest events I’ve ever read

Read ultimate spider, even in peters last couple arcs it stays semi entertaining

What made Bendis’s writing really dire for the past few years was his total lack of ideas. It’s possible that he’ll be more inspired by Superman, though I’m sure we’ll all hate his big changes.

I'm banking on him being controlled by the editors. When off his leash, Grant Morrison goes too far up his own ass, but he managed to be great in my opinion when he was controlled on batman and xmen

Avengers is not a good reference point, since it’s not indicative of his current output.

Just read his recent works: Defenders, Jessica Jones, the Iron Man books.

Bendis is the type of writer where when he writes a certain type of character he writes them really fucking well. However when he's placed out of that zone his work is very bad.

>The good
Daredevil which is one of the best runs on the character and that's white an achievement

ultimate Spider-Man - was solid throughout and even during ultimatum, which is one of the worst event books ever, his Spider-Man parts were still good.

Alias- I enjoyed it a lot but some may not like it

Powers was really good at the time but aged poorly

The rest of his stuff is either really bad, uneventful, or forgettable.

he got handed the x men after a ton of build up and character development and had an easy opportunity to write some good x men stories but instead of doing anything with what gillen and remender left him he just did nothing and it was really bland.

He's good with street level super heroes and solo books but he's awful at everything else.

I don't think he will be good on superman which is a shame because superman books have been pretty decent for a while and I'm afraid it will end.

halfway through reading bendis avengers?

>mfw some of these Bendis haters defend Tom King