I'LL teach man to use his machines. I'LL show him what distorted science can give birth to...

I'LL teach man to use his machines. I'LL show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'LL teach him to fly like a fairy. And I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ogsNTmPAIaE
youtube.com/watch?v=-qC2P7QYjaE
youtube.com/watch?v=RKOErq1-okU
youtube.com/watch?v=oCbtTvA4pqE
bogleech.com/dragons.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY
youtube.com/watch?v=LlcQ3hO-EPY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks satan.

When you give up your soul to become a machine, you commit suicide. Of course this matters not to the atheistic generations who don't believe a soul exists in the first place, they were already dead.

Yo I want to give props to you OP for starting a Flight of Dragons thread

I don't think I've ever seen a Rankin-Bass thread on Sup Forums... Maybe the occasional Last Unicorn, but no others

Best animated movie ever made, son.

>Starting in the middle of the monologue instead of "I shall not retire to this fools' paradise!"
Shame on you, son

God damn great speeches in this movie though.
>Blade with whom I have lived
>Blade with whom I now die
>Serve right and justice one last time
>Seek one last heart of evil
>Still one last life of pain
>Cut well old friend
>And then...farewell

...praying?

youtube.com/watch?v=ogsNTmPAIaE

When that motherfucking dragon started laughing after being silent the entire film I had chills.

PUNY SCUM OF CAROLINAS
PREPARE TO DIE
youtube.com/watch?v=-qC2P7QYjaE

Dejavù.

Then he Hindenburged that bastard

Also, this movie taught me to drink milk to help with ulcers. Incredible movie.

I always thought the dragons looked a bit goofy as a kid but they honestly match pretty well a lot of medieval depictions.

Huh. I had no idea Don McLean sang that.

that's neat
We need more attempts at authentic medieval styles.

>I know you! I almost knew you as soon as I saw you on the road coming to my door. Since then, there is no movement of yours that has not betrayed you! A pace, a glance, a turn of the head, the flash of your throat as you breathe... even your way of standing perfectly still - they were all my spies!

It still gives me chills

Bluray when.

they really knew how to build tension and execute a climax. The last 20 minutes flow like an emotional symphony. Hope, fear, hope, fear, OH SHIT A DRAGON KILLED EVERYONE, hope...

Getting either of Jones or Lee to voice your villain is basically cheating.

>Yes Byragh, it's your turn now. You and your legions.
> Attack, demolish, devour, burn, grind them to dust!
>Go forth and death be thy destination!
>(Doom! Doom!)
>A Flight of Dragons! I command it!
>A FLIGHT OF DRAGONS!
>(Doom! Doom! Doom!)

>OOGA BOOGA MAGIC BOX STEAL 'EM SOUL!

That's all I read.

>Jeremy Parish saves the day by shouting electives at James Earl Jones
Well, 9/10 ain't bad.

Haven't seen this in ages

Good goy. All jokes aside though, you only say that because you're scared and don't want to face the facts.

That's right only Allah can save you.

That's the schizophrenia for. Declare something to be true and if someone requires any proof decry him as evil.

Seriously, Ommadon was one of the absolute best Sup Forums villains. If I ever met James Earl Jones, I'd probably bring him up before any other role.

Then there's this motherfucker

The "spies" line is so good it's almost orgasmic.

That's still a really cool way to kill an evil wizard

Posting because it is inevitable.
youtube.com/watch?v=RKOErq1-okU

The three good wizards perhaps represent Europe, Africa, and Asia (as some depictions of the Three Kings do), i.e. the whole of the "Old World"...but then what's Ommadon? Just "the darkness"?

La creatura...

legitamatly think this is James Earl Jone's best roll ever. He perfectly made it over the top evil and it worked so well

>Yes, Bryagh, it's your turn now. You and your legions, attack, demolish, devour, burn, grind them to dust! Go forth and death be thy destinations, doom, doom, DOOM! A flight of dragons! I command it! A flight of dragons! Doom, doom, doom, DOOM!

now die

The RB Hobbit is still the best adaptation of it to date. At 70 minutes it manages to be tightly paced AND a better, more respectful adaptation (both in content and in spirit) of the book than the fucking ten hour trilogy with its love triangles and shitty action set pieces.

Thorin's death is still one of my favorite sad moments in animation.

>I was wrong. You did understand war. It was I who did not... until now.

THE GREATEST ADVENTURE...

>Child of the kindly West, I have come to know, if more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell.
Jesus it's like having your heart ripped out of your chest. The first time I watched it as a kid I was inconsolable.

Omegon was a scary motherfucker with this monologue. The ending is garbage though.

What do you expect he denied all magic

>imply jew influence
>while worshipping the jew god
wew lad, ya sure told him

You mentioned the truth.
The truth requires evidence.please provide evidence for "the soul."

>The old you're only an atheist because you fear god meme.

I shiggydiggydontdothat.

Nice film.

*tipping intensifies*

You can hear the enthusiasm coursing through James Earl Jones voice when he's doing those lines.

Basically the corrupting influence of power, ambition and greed. He looks more like an old king than the other wizards, with his crown and sword.

The levels of meta in it are fun. He writes a book that he does a game on and gets transported inside to tell the story that he is writting. In the process he conjures his waifu to the real world like a true comic writter does.

youtube.com/watch?v=oCbtTvA4pqE

Now I see where Morrison got his inspiration from

Here's another:

And one from an map of Brasil (in the Miller Atlas, 1519).

Read the book "Jesus in the Talmud".

Did someone say "classic dragons?"

bogleech.com/dragons.html

Thats a wyvern

Nigger faggot, nobody made that distinction back then, it's D&D autism.

>cave people don't understand anatomy
>therefor it doesn't matter if we do

Flight of dragon goes really indepth into dragon science, you should try

wyvern is a pretty old term, the distinction's a lot older than D&D is

>1682 J. Gibbon Introd. ad Latinam Blasoniam 123 This Dragon hath but two Legs, and so is the same with our Wiverne.

from the OED

Incorrect as to the former. Still autism, though.

There were many words for dragons and dragonlike creatures floating around for a long time. Using the word "wyvern" to describe one specific type of dragon was an arbitrary invention of medieval heraldry laws, the purpose being to codify and regularize the symbols and images used in coats of arms.

So danielle or Melisande? I normally have a thing for red heads but in this case i have to go for Melisande. She is so pure

Pffffft. Best grill is obviously Sir Orrin.

He's got nipples to lick, that is for sure

It works for what was happening, though. Had the guy just conjured up some weapon/trinket to beat Omegon, it would have felt extremely clichéd. If anything, they should have at least toyed with Peter or whatever his name was causing something to wither/vanish with his scientific ramblings, that way his solution wouldn't have come out of nowhere.

>anatomy
>of a made up animal

How hardcore does one need to be to strangle a fucking dragon

To me him putting Omadon in logic traps was fantastic. Where the son WAS not where it IS was great. When he went dictionary mode it was really bad. I say this as someone who watches it twice a year and calls it his favorite movie

>anatomy of a mythological creature

Watch the fucking movie. It is an important part

Having seen the movie, and having seen that:

The movie made up rules for dragons, just like ALL stories about dragons made up how they work and what they look like.
Just like how vampires were made up and the rules that 'govern' them are going to change from telling to telling.

Likewise, "a flight of dragons" has its own version of dragons and is no less or more valid than, for instance, china. Whose dragons have no wings, but are dragons nonetheless.

Also true of Tony Jay.

The film is actually made from two different books. The title, main character's name, and the bits about dragon physiology are from Flight of Dragons by Peter Dickinson. Pretty much everything else is from The Dragon & The George by Gordon R. Dickson with a few things created by Rankin-Bass like Ommadon and Melusine.

Probably just had trouble figuring out good science name counterparts for all of Omagon's beasts and mythological figures. And it certainly would have dragged things out too long if the guy was just deconstructing every creature and monster Omagon could mention.

Chineese dragons can sometimes fly and are in the movie. Shin-su is a great dragon. And in the movie they say that imagi ation comes from the realm of magic that is now sealed from the world. So our imagination of dragons is from there

/autism

All joking aside i just like the movies depiction on magic and how science and magic play out

It is pretty cool how it plays with the parallel worlds (ours and a fantasy one) instead of "fuck the real world rules" as most stories with such tend to do.

It kinda sucks though cause everything else about the story is so well constructed.

In Chinese myth, yeah, dragons fly.
Yet, with that said, they don't fit the rigid definition other user(s) have said. But they're still dragons.

And then you have the curve balls like Qilin which are different in each part of Asia they're depicted in, and in some cases ARE dragons, i.e, the japanese kirin.

Yeah the ending
>man will only cross over for a blink of inspiration or a dream
That stuff gets me

At least it played into part of what the film had established early on; that the fantasy world is reliant on/influenced by the minds of people from the real one. Had that never been said, it most certainly would have felt completely out of place to have the nerd guy just up and say "Fuck everything. You're not real. You're powers aren't real. Fuck you."

Hey, if you're gonna cheat, at least cheat the best way you can.

I feel like Tony never got enough roles in his life. Frollo is by far his only big film role, which is a shame because he had one of the most memorable voices out there, at least to me.

>it was really bad
What, exactly, was bad about it? Did you really want him to go into detail explaining why dragons and etc. couldn't exist because of physics?

Just being a fucking dictionary doesn't add anything to the story. Alphabetically it made it even worse

For most people, it's just how sudden it feels that Peter starts to think logically after having spent the bulk of the film just going along with fantasy logic, him listing off elements and other science jargon, and how it only seems to affect Omagon instead of nearly erasing the world since he's basically saying "Nothing of your world makes sense, and is thus not real"

It was fine for what it was, in any other story, it would have been out of place, but this one at least hinted at how the two worlds are connected and how one greatly influenced the other.

Not ar all. He is merging science and magic the entire time and at the end he has to reject it. It's tragic until melisande follows him and he gets his waifu. The problem was all in execution. Listing scientific fields is a poor ending

Hardly poor, just a weak follow up to the first part of his logic battle with schooling Ommadon about shit like the sun's positioning.

>just being a dictionary
Please.

Ommadon declares victory, PD denies it. Ommadon threatens him, and and asserts he is onmipotent. PD counters with physics and asserts the superiority of science. Ommadon defies him to deny all magic. PD does. Ommadon spouts threatening mubjojumbo, PD counters with scientific "incantations." Ommadon attempts to conjure various magical beings. PD "conjures" scientific disciplines. It all flows very naturally.

The alphabetical listing was awesome, by the way; a nice little touch showing just what a huge nerd PD was.

think we can all agree that The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus is their best Christmas movie

Hmm...that is a good point. It is like an argument that just devolves into pettyness. Will rewatch with this in mind

That was the real stuff! That was wiiiiiiine!

>until Melisande follows him and he gets his waifu
Got to love when nerds basically fuck with reality to get their waifus.

>devolves into pettyness
I'm not sure I would have put it that way myself, but, yeah, there is an element of that (just that the actually stakes are pretty high).

I especially like the brief moment between when Ommadon defies him to deny all magic and the denial where PD realizes what the consequences of doing so will be and it flashes across his face.

youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY

Now that you mention it, it does flow a lot more naturally when I listen. Thanks user, you let me appreciate this more.

youtube.com/watch?v=LlcQ3hO-EPY

>Ora e Sempre
>Today and Forever
>for ages and ages to come
>til the Last Trumpet sounds

"contempt" is the correct word

It's my favorite as well, so awesome.

Not quite sure if it's contempt, he's not exactly being scornful of the fantastical, but forcing his logical mind to disavow anything and everything magical. Still, it really is amazing how they make what is essentially a teacher a schooling an ignorant brat come off as really badass. Had there never been any mention about the world being affected by humanity's belief in it, the entire scene would have most certainly come off as an asspull.

It's really cool how he makes his voice match the character. Some words are slurred, others have a bit of a lisp, it really makes whatever the hell Ommadon was sound like he should instead of just having a voice.