Why do nerds have such a probelm with enjoying things that are "non-canon"?

In a world where we have more free time and more mediums ever than before to create in copyright law has become one of the biggest obstacles to advancing our culture.

It used to be entirely normal for authors to take and build upon the stories of others and if they were good they were accepted to be just as legitimate as the originals. This is what Disney is built upon doing, and they're the ones who've created the draconian copyright laws of modern day.

More to the point of the thread: It's because modern society, and nerds in particular really have a fascination with categorizing things, and it helps facilitate conversation when we all can have an agreement on what 'really happened' even though it's all just fiction.

Stop trying to justify the sequels you fag.

Oh my fucking god this shit

Imagine being a young lad watching this series and you see Mace Windu and Kit Fisto doing all this crazy shit and them becoming your favorite jedi ever. Now you are sitting in the theater on the release day of Episode III its the scene where Mace Windu goes to arrest Palpatine and you see fucking Kit Fisto in the bacnground. You imagine to yourself "holy shit this is gonna be over quick this old fuck cant do shit"

Then that entire scene plays out

Doesn't /swco/ blow a gasket when it comes to Genndy Wars?

They blow a gasket whenever anything from Legends is mentioned, it's kinda pathetic.

A lot of enjoyment of fantasy worlds comes from imagining how all the parts of the world interact with each other. So it's pretty frustrating when cool parts of the universe get deleted, or are non-canon from the start so that none of the events matter outside of their own storyline. A lot of the draw is the world, and when the world doesn't matter, then a lot of the appeal is lost.

If you hate anything currently Star Wars you are not a true "Star Wars" fan.

The fact they defend Rebels with such devoted zeal is amazing to watch

otherwise will be a normie thing.

Half of it is sheer tribalism. MY version of the story is endorsed by the creators, and is therefore correct. If it isn't, I will complain.

The other half is direction. In modern continuing media forms, what is canon determines what kind of stories you're going to get. If you're into stories about Luke Skywalker being married and having a kid and someone declares it not canon, you're not getting anymore stories like that. So you'll complain.

I know how you feel man, same with how lame general grievous was handled in the movie.

Now I feel like Im a little more mature, I used to get pissed that movie superheroes barely wore their iconic mask, but now I realize that with live action people prefer to see the actors face.

idk why any rational user would defend helicopter sabers

this

Especially if all the retcons and decanonization is the result of the franchise being passed around from writer to writer and from production team to production team all doing their own thing, which results in the old "too many cooks spoiling the broth" problem.

Of all the possible ways of granting your villains flight, I still cannot imagine what went through the scriptwriters' heads to make them think this was the best one.

/thread

that looks cool as fuck

Funnily enough the old EU implied that Gennedy Clone Wars was in-universe propaganda.

The stupidest thing about the spinning sabers is that they could have just been regular double ended sabers that the user spins around. If you can force throw something you can spin it around your hand really fast.

Well I am a nerd and I don’t mind. In fact I am a huge fan of self-contained alternate verses like Earth Ones for example. I am not sure if that’s what you mean as non canon tho.

Star Wars has dumb shit, what else is new

Honestly some of the best material ever to come out of the Star Wars franchise is "non canon", so I don't really give a fuck.

yea, the general has gotten a lost worse lately, nothing but autistic arguments and dick girl posting

No it didn't

I used to point and laugh at people who liked this show saying "non-canon, lol." Now The Last Jedi is canon and I feel in part like I deserve this punishment. I sincerely apologize to all of you.

It's unadulterated autism. The amount of discussion there is of whether EqG is canon is shameful.

Toy mandate.

And yet people want to throw a hissy fit when we have threads outside of that spergfest

dont say that to /swco/ or they'll piss themselves in anger while yelling at you
also dont mention how rebels is being cancelled, because apparently even though its being canceled its not being canceled

That's just what losers say to justify the fanwank.

At least that looks cool. In a rule of cool setting like SW, you can easily get away with shit that looks cool. That's not applicable to

>Why do Star Wars faggots have such a probelm with enjoying things that are "non-canon"?
FTFW

No one ever says DC's Elsewords or any of the stories before the New-52 are bad and don't mean anything since they aren't main universe canon. This problem is almost exclusively for Star Wars fans only. Probably becasue most of them tend to be casuals that only started really caring about this stuff when Disney bought it.

Legends is the objectively better Star Wars continuity and Gendy Wars is canon to that so there's really no problem.

Other way around. One of the West End Games books implies that the CGI Clone Wars series was Imperial propaganda since it had so many contradictions with the rest of the Legends canon.

For me personally, I dislike some of the canon shenanigans because it means something isn't going to be followed up upon, but the Star Wars fans in particular seem a bit nuts.

This is too general. It's not that "nerds" can't enjoy things that are non-canon, it's that when you get a franchise like Star Wars with so much material it's hard to invest in things you know don't matter. You don't get that with every franchise. You don't see a whole a lot of people shitposting about the Oz books, and that only the books written by Baum are canon or what-have-you. That's because Oz isn't a franchise with the breadth of entrenched material that Star Wars has with the kind of in-universe history Star Wars has.

I started reading Star Wars novels in 1997 and followed the old EU pretty consistently until the Dark Nest Trilogy made me hate where the post-ROTJ timeline was going. I spent a lot more time reading EU material than I did watching the films, and I'd say 75% of my investment in Star Wars as a fan was in the EU. The Star Wars material being released now has little to do with the old EU, so characters, locations and events that I invested in 10-20 years ago isn't paying off. If someone new to the franchise asked me if they should check out Legends stuff, I'd say no. It's not going to pay off in the upcoming films, books, comics, etc, and it all started going to shit anyway.

BASED FILONI AMIRITE???

>No one ever says DC's Elsewords or any of the stories before the New-52 are bad and don't mean anything since they aren't main universe canon.

The fuck are you going on about? EVERYONE complains about reboots. It's garbage like that what's keeping capeshit comics from ever becoming a cultural force again.

star wars canon HAS NEVER BEEN RESET

star wars nerds have always been really picky about the details.

now the details are a shitty pile of recycled material.

What's stopping comics from being a cultural force is lack of exposure. Comics are never thought of by the general populace as anything more than a novelty of the past. Comics need to be sold in more than comic stores if there's ever going to be an increased interest in them.

People complain about the reboots but no one says that since they're not canon anymore that those stories are now worthless.

I stopped browsing there when every single thread theme was futa shit.
I guess talking about Star Wars Rebels 24/7 gives you autism.

If you ever lauded Star Wars as a pillar of sci-fi you are a fucking pleb, this is just fact. The best thing about Star Wars has been and will always be its sounds, from the music to sound effects and design. Everything else is lowest common denominator garbage that predates the work, from plot to themes.
Star Wars is about as normalfag as normalfag gets and I have never understood the obsession with it.

fuck off, that scene was good, intense action, good dialogue, acting.

Of course a tv show is going to be able to make the fights longer, this is literally 10 minutes of a character fighting robots and nothing more.

Star Wars should not be like that, its more like Shakespeare.

the general goes back and forth, there are quite a few hard core members in the /swg/ here in Sup Forums.

ive been browning /swg/ Sup Forums since the clone wars animated series.

they hate everything from Legends

Futa is lame when there's no magic involved.

They should've brought Durge in the CGI Clone Wars

>OH MY GOD its my favorite Jedi, Kit Fisto

(WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGG intensifies)

I actually agree with the first post.

>Of course a tv show is going to be able to make the fights longer
Are you fucking kidding me? TV versions are notorious for having short, shitty fights due to budget.

>sucking the taint of a long dead overplayed franchise
it needed to die a long time ago along with any other faggot that still watches that trash

are you like, actually retarded?

they were going to, Cad Bane was originally going to be "Durge" (actually just a human in Durge's armor)

It's a symptom of the manchild disease. Fantasy worlds, and their ideas and internal logic, come to replace many of the reassuring sociological structures that are lacking in the standard manchild's life. A need for order, to be assured of one's own knowledge and intelligence, to feel a sense of righteousness, all these things which would otherwise be missing for these people come to them when they take fiction way too seriously.

holy shit that's fucking lame
either go all out or go not at all

That was, in fact, me in the theater.

Everyone has a personal canon. everything in legends in still canon in my view. I take the multiverse theory when it comes to most things comics/sci fi. that way i can enjoy everything, including the prequels and sequels

That's notre dumb shit, cavalery charges are effective underground the right conditions.

>Star Wars should not be like that, its more like Shakespeare.
the absolute state of /swco/

fuck you

It's Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin and Agen Kolar. Four Jedi Masters from the High Council, and Palpatine kills three of them in about two seconds. It's bullshit, even without the Genndy cartoon.

>fucking hate star wars
>love dick girls
I feel conflicted.

D*sney shill begone.

Every time I see one of these thread with endless arguing over prequels/sequels/cartoons/EU I get the urge to watch the universally loved OT

You have to go back.

Every time I see the pic on the right I think "A little glass of water please..."

>not spending your entire time on Dagobah getting cut

Both canons are good

Both have their good moments and their bad moments

Enough to insult others just because they like something that you do not

Enough to be a retard

Why? The whole point of Durge is how bullshit he is.

>TV versions are notorious for having short, shitty fights due to budget.

what part of ''this is 10 minutes of a guy fighting robots'' did you not understand?

Hell, it was a two parter so 20 minutes of pure action

great argument, spoken like a true /tvirgin/

Oh its a bunch of nobodies getting killed and that are only developed in the novels, cartoons and shit while theya re meaningless in the movie.

again, fuck off.

Okay.

Now send us nudes of your sister

>nothing but autistic arguments
>cherry picks one opinion like there's a consensus among all anons of said opinion

>nothing but autistic arguments and dick girl posting
I don't think I've seen a place here devoid of this. It feels like whenever a board has a split opinion on anything anons over inflate the opinion they don't like and claim most feel that specific way.

Not like any of it matters, time travel happened in the latest episode of Rebels to save Ahsoka.

Thanks for the spoiler. Now I'm gonna go watch it and kill myself.

This is why I could never get attached to any of the Jedi Council. Knowing they are all propped up to be so cool only to die like total bitches just doesn't sit well with me.

I mean, they're supposed to be Jedi MASTERS for God's sake, and they still die easily from being betrayed by their own soldiers. That's not something they just hand out like a participation trophy. I get that they would have been in the passion of battle at the time, and their Jedi Spider Sense wouldn't have picked up their allies' mutiny, but I still find it so unbelievable that they all died except for Yoda and Obi-Wan.

They didn't all die, only a good majority. The rest were hunted down and killed afterwards by Vader

What I dont get is how people hated on miticlorians and now they willingly swallow a trinity of force gods and space time manipulation.

The new EU is just a copy paste of characters, locations or battles. Reading legend comics pays of in explaining and exposing various aspects of technology, the force, the organizations and the planets. I mean, there is no better way of understanding how the jedi purge worked and how they tried to erase the jedi from the memory of the universe than reading clone wars, rise of the empure and purge comics. I think vader was also more balanced than the op version shown on the new comics. If vader could kill a whole batallion with Y wings alone then why the fuck did the empira had such a hard time? Same with thawn...so much with tactics and he is just focusing on lothal like it is the fucking most important planet on the galaxy.

and people thought dragon ball power level fags are annoying.

That scene shattered my little teenager heart.

I see the crew watched Victory Gundam.

we will never see kylo go full crossbone

Man, I'd suck dick for a Crossbones adaptation. It's the perfect kind of zany that I can appreciate.

I see more people wishing that cool stuff like Genndy Wars was canon.

And it is pretty obvious why something being canon or not makes it better for the ongoing narrative.

>but I still find it so unbelievable that they all died
Why?
Jedi aren't superheroes. If they're charging with guys they've had no problems with for the last three years, the clones will have the second they need to fire.
I find it unbelievable that you find that unbelievable.

Calling something non-canon is literally calling it not genuine. It's disowning the work. From a religious standpoint you're saying the text doesn't matter just by definition.

So it's hard to enjoy something when it is divorced by its creators and given such a lowly status.

Because we go from this

To this

Shouldn't Jedis and Siths BE fucking OP and leagues above the average clone and drone? Like, you are charging into a battlefield with a sword, a melee weapon with limited range that puts you on a massive disadvantage. A blast and you are a goner, a grenade explosion and thats it, a missile and you are no more. How are these slow old farts viable in battle? They look like a massive liability that competent actual soldiers have to babysit around so that they don't get themselves killed on a dialy basis. They remind me of those Japs in WWII who charged at the enemy with fancy katanas only to, well...get shot and die?

Because nerds have trouble dealing with cannon and head cannon. Some want a thing to be cannon but wont be while the other side get easily annouyd that others enjoy the non cannon plot

>we can make 7 seasons
>Filoni says the show is ending on the verge of crying
>I-it was all planned guys! Don't mind the shit ratings and low merch sales, totally Filoni's keikaku!

Cause when old things are declared non canon and new things come to replace its place in the continuity the new thing always sucks except for when it rarely doesn't.

>cannon

Canon is a loose euphemism for "what is ok with in the copyright".

its not the argument itself but the massive block of text of some user going on and on about something no one in particular cares that much about followed immediately by mindless shitposting that sums up what the general is like these days

There are two types of non-canon works.
First is "original non-canon", that doesn't belong to main continiuty from the beginning. Like Elseworlds or another AU.
If such work are self-sufficient, properly made to be standalone story there is no problem.
Second case is decanonized work.
That scenario is cutting away possibly interesting storylines
"You wonder what happens with that newly introduced character, what adventures awaits him? None, because we are retconning him!"

Another point is actual for reimaginations.
"It's not muh Whatshisnameman, he even haven't Whosthatgal as a girlfriend!"
People awaits same story to be retelled and surprised when story turns out to be not the same.