Ahm confused

comicsworthreading.com/2018/01/17/its-never-too-late-to-say-sorry-artist-apologizes-for-work-on-marvel-mangaverse/

Can someone please explain how mangaverse punisher is racist, I must not have noticed it?

She should be apologising because it's fucking awful. Lile Ultimatum level awful.

From one of her posts:

>The main characters, Japanese-Caucasian sisters, were named Hashi Brown and Sosumi Brown. (Update: there’s also a female villain named “Skan Kee Ho.” There was exotification of Asians. I depicted Sosumi, the Punisher, in a sexy kimono alá manga art of “bad” women even as I was careful to dress Hashi in a “schoolgirl” uniform that was mid-thigh length shorts and a jacket, alá Utena. Because I was sick of the sexualization of children, but didn’t grasp that exotification needed to be off the table, too.
Even though I was uncomfortable, I did the Punisher art, turning in the last pages at 11PM on Christmas Eve, and hitting the road from San Antonio to Dallas. (Because I didn’t dare upset my mother by saying I was too tired to drive safely.*)

Huh, neat....though I like the kimono kinda gives her an avenging jurei look.

What?

What?

So why couldn’t they just hire actual mangakas for this?

>Exotification
Is this their latest word for 'you can only be attracted to your own race or you're racist'?

Lea is cool.
She worked with Gainax in the early 90s and did a comic about it called Bani Garu.

Also she's right, even for shlock the jokes in this Punisher book are fucking trash.

>there’s also a female villain named “Skan Kee Ho.”
That's gold.

I get what she's trying to say, and her coming out on her own kinda randomly means she's serious about it so in the end it was her decision to do this, unprompted so you really can't fault her for this as SJW pandering or anything like that.

As an Asian person I wouldn't call the Marvel Mangaverse racist. Really it was more just bad than anything. The comics sucked and were fap material at best. The early 2000s had a big flood of unfocused, confused appeals by western comics to the new "manga audience". This was just one of many ham fisted and naive attempts to try to grab some of that early weeaboo dollars. The thing is that in the early 2000s there was still a lot of "outdated" perceptions of Japan and what was "ok" and what "wasn't" was confusing to a lot of people who had grown up with views of Japan didn't realize that they might offend people. This is how we got cringey stuff like the original Big Hero 6 or Grant Morrison's interesting but ham-fisted Chinese Great 10.

So really, reprinting Marvel Mangaverse can be seen as a little bit of trip down memory lane to the early 2000s when the Manga bubble was just starting to gain steam. It's just so bizarre that its almost silly.

I'm not seeing a sincere apology here. I'm seeing a social justice wannabe throwing an old friend under the bus in order to signal her virtues. "Oh I was uncomfortable when I did it. It wasn't my fault it was the racists who hired me. By the way did I mention I have disabled children?"

Fuck this cunt.

>I don't like people having convictions.
Fuck you.

So I'm guessing this is one of those things everyone was trying to forget until some dipshit needed likes and riled up their goon squad by going through some randos past work for shit to be mad about

What convictions? She's looking for a pat on the back.

she's literally just saying "I did a shitty thing 20 years ago, and I regret doing that thing"

Let me guess. You're gonna pretend like you actually like mangaverse punisher now.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Cebulski pretended to be a Japanese guy while working on these books has caused everyone to re-evaluate the Manga-verse era stuff and distance themselves from the uglier aspects.

This is comics. Who pays attention to this stuff enough to pat her on the back.

>As an Asian person I wouldn't call the Marvel Mangaverse racist. Really it was more just bad than anything. The comics sucked and were fap material at best. The early 2000s had a big flood of unfocused, confused appeals by western comics to the new "manga audience". This was just one of many ham fisted and naive attempts to try to grab some of that early weeaboo dollars.
They didn't understand that the reason people were drawn to manga wasn't because of the art. They thought if they just took their same old crap and slapped manga art on them they'd get a whole new audience.

I owned the issue.
It wasn't good but I fapped to it.
Is it racist? Not anymore than any of the other mangaverse books which played with the stereotypes of cheesy anime tropes, even for its time you might simply consider it satirical or parody though that probably wasn't the intention.

If she feels bad about it, whatever. It's trash and not because of the 'racist' tones.

She's saying she did a bad thing out of desperation, then proceeds to put the blame on everyone else.

I don't have to like the mangaverse in order to point out shitty behavior.

she takes full responsibility for putting Punisher in a kimono, though.

It was the early 2000s and Perlmutter is an incredibly cheap bastard, even by Jewish standards.

Exactly, they didn't understand why people were drawn to manga, they saw anime and manga as just a 'style', not a whole genre. The worst part was they didn't 'respect' the genre of manga to actually bring aboard people familiar to the history of Japanese animation (like Japanese people). It reminds me of all those "How to draw manga" guides from that era. They just got some random guy who maybe saw three episodes of Dragonball Z and was asked to make a book about it.

I'll never understand how that book got approved for publishing

>it's okay when japanese make "foreign" halfus
>what i did was shameful
Fuck these people. Japanese don't give a shit they do the same bullshit.

So she is an hypocrite?

>Doing an autobio comic about working with real people is the same thing as drawing a comic written by a dottering old man that thinks Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's is the height of comedy.
Are you dense?

fuck off lea

I just read it, she's kinda cute.

>I think it has more to do with the fact that Cebulski pretended to be a Japanese guy while working on these books has caused everyone to re-evaluate the Manga-verse era stuff and distance themselves from the uglier aspects.

"Akira Yoshida" wasn't the writer on any of the Mangaverse books, user.

yeah but as C.B he wrote the X-men one shot.

He wasn't "pretending to be Japanese" when he wrote things under his real name, though. It seems most of the editors who hired "Yoshida" knew who he really was, as well.