What went right?

What went right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=anndNbRjOeE
youtu.be/qlUt7aDMNus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

(Relatively) good writing and charismatic characters.

Good writing
Fantastic casting
God-tier aesthetic design
Amazing music
More serious than other MCU movies
Had a villain worth a shit

Basically every complaint against the MCU got fixed.
The music didn't suck. The villain had a decent plan and didn't suck. The hero was more stoic than quippy. The aesthetic had some uniqueness to it...
Shame it's never going to get treated fairly.

I liked The Winter Soldier and Civil War. Will I like this movie? Please, answer and remember to check my youtube channel.

There also was a charity program literally giving tickets away to kids. So that didn't hurt.

>The music didn't suck.
You know, this is such a good point. I had completely forgotten that most MCU movies had throwaway music, but honestly, peeping the BP soundtrack, it's actually really damn good and fits the movie perfectly. I didn't get what I wanted, an African-inspired rock piece, which I think would've been awesome, but it's still really damn good.

>Shame it's never going to get treated fairly.
I've been rather surprised that most people here and on Sup Forums actually seem to admit that it was at least pretty good.

Bucky's theme was good in The Winter Soldier... but yeah, even teh DCEU had a shitload of better music.

Ike Perlmutter not being involved.

I mean, if a female villain for Iron Man 3 made him go apeshit, imagine this film with 4 female leads.

hope to fuck this gets some inner city at-risk black kids to take school seriously for STEM education, it's good that they showed wakanda as heavily tech centric since that's what it is

>if a female villain for Iron Man 3 made him go apeshit,

What?

You know that female scientist in Iron Man 3? She was originally the villain. But Ike Perlmutter said that she wouldn't sell toys, so they created Guy Pierce's character.

Man, Iron Man 3 was so forgettable that I don't even remember half of it's shitty plot.

It was a very conservative movie that was given a pass because of the mostly brown cast.

>just kidding, we're vegetarians

youtube.com/watch?v=anndNbRjOeE
>Black Panther Fixes Marvel's Most Common Flaws

tv and pol were utterly btfo and it makes it all the much sweeter.

The hype.

If by fixing their most common flaws they mean actively using every single one of them and only really succeeding as a film due to a marketing campaign on par with Obama's 2008 presidential campaign, sure.

Winter Soldier had a few good songs too, and the Ant-Man theme.

It's really not all that great. It's basically as good as Thor 1 except maybe removing some issues with Earth but they replace it by going full Phantom Menace in the climax.
I doubt it'll be years before people are able to really admit that though.

It's funny, I really think Ike Perlmutter was holding back the MCU so much. There's a palpable difference between before he was booted and after. Where the films before used to stress "We're all connected" and future films, now the films can go over the top and do wild stuff.

For example, Age of Ultron kept being derailed to hype up future films, and you now that was all Perlmutter. I half wonder if the Infinity Stones in each film was him too.

Also look at the concept art of Thor 2. They were clearly going to go bigger, but fucking budget cuts.

I liked Killmonger, but saying he's one of the best villains in cinema is pushing it, especially since he shows up halfway through the film.

The only part of Iron Man 3 I found enjoyable was looking at the concept art for some of the iron man suits afterwards.

It's pretty nice to have them shut up about "It's a black cast, it'll tank". Lord knows, they can't say it's a failure now.

>Great writing
>"WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOSSSSSEEE! XD"

Cringiest line ive ever heard in a movie

It’s supposed to be cringy

they got a director with a vision and let them fully execute it

>He doesn't know the memes
There's literally nothing that can stop it.
All you can do is shitpost back at them, which we all know is the point

she was a sassy as fuck, lil sister 16 year old

it fit perfectly. she gave everyone shit and shes a tech memester

I like how Killmonger was a commentary on racists and racial supremacists. These people had something bad happen in their lives and then blame it on a one group of people. They become so filled with hate that they can’t think straight and it eventually destroys them.

He was literally the first line in the movie which is the first thing you hear. Opening narration is Eric asking his dad to tell him about Wakanda. Also he’s the kid who spots the ship as it flys away.

I think one thing I really like is that Killmonger goes through all the trials T'Challa goes through, but his outcomes are always more violent.

The waterfall trial, T'Challa spares his opponent. Killmonger throws T'Challa off the cliff and showboats in his waterfall trial.
When T'Challa has his vision, it's a moment of peace. When Killmonger has it, he wakes in anger and burns the herbs. When T'Challa is in the throne room, he's contemplative and talks with his advisors, where Killmonger flat out orders plans for a war. The other big one is how T'Challa has all these women that mean so much to him, where Killmonger kills and abuses all females around him.

Huh, it's funny, I forgot all about that stuff cause I remember thinking "Where is that guy in jail for a while" and then shrugged it off. Still, Killmonger shows up late to start Killmongering.

>shows up too late
>the beginning of the movie is too late

Everyone new just how much rode on the success of the movie. And then gave it their very best.

My theater loved it

That’s a beautiful analysis

Oh shut up, it was cute. It's the exact kind of line a geeky little sister would pull on her brother

It didn't do anything really right or wrong. It was a safe bet with a huge budget and actors they knew could carry a mediocre cape film. Even though there's sort of a huge plothole in that like 1/2 the movie doesn't even need to occur. Killmonger knew where Wakanda was and had a claim to the throne, if in Wakanda all you need to do is challenge the king to a deathmatch and win, and Killmonger obviously could win that fight, then literally what was the point of all that globetrotting plotline with Klaw? Why didn't Killmonger just go directly to Wakanada and beat the shit out of Tchalla?

He wanted to earn the respect of Wakanda, so they would follow him and not just turn him away at the border. He needed Klaue to do that, and he needed to get him without his guards.

>He wanted to earn the respect of Wakanda

Then just fight Tchalla. I don't understand, he has a rightful claim to the throne, Wakandan tradition states that he can challenge Tchalla freely. The entire society seems completely idiotic insofar as they're super advanced but also incredibly base and barbaric. Loyalty also apparently doesn't exist outside of like a few of BP's close friends because all the guards just instantly accept Killmonger as their new king. Why would he even have to earn their respect? Or is it one of those "the movie needs to happen" things.

Didn't he find out where Wakanda was from Klaue? There's really no way some kid from Compton was ever going to find his way to Wakanda, and Klaue was the only non-Wakandan to have been there and back.

>and Killmonger obviously could win that fight, then literally what was the point of all that globetrotting plotline with Klaw? Why didn't Killmonger just go directly to Wakanada and beat the shit out of Tchalla?

He knew Klaue was extremely hated there, and got some support for bringing his dead body. In other words, he was printing pamphlets.

>tfw the WW theme actually grew on me and I love it now

Fucking hope this movie leads to another black renaissance.

He knew how to get there from the map his father had in his book hiding in his house

>The entire society seems completely idiotic insofar as they're super advanced but also incredibly base and barbaric.
Properly written Wakanda in a damn nutshell.

It was more of a way of shitting on T'Challa since he can't take revenge on a dead man, specifically T'Chaka. And yes, Wakanda has always been this dumb when it comes to tradition/government

I'm more amused by the unintentional anti-immigration message. A single immigrant, Killmonger, reduced them to tribal war in the span of a single week. (And also destroyed their most precious resource, then nearly kicked off a race war.)

I mean, my takeaway from it is that peace is so fragile that you really can't let anyone in. Wakanda was right to stay hidden: The King's only mistaken was not flat-out murdering Killmonger to tie up loose ends.

Killmonger wasn't just ANY immigrant though. He was a long lost royal who actually did have a claim to the throne, which is the only reason why he was able to obtain so much power in the first place.

The thing is, Killmonger's entire issue is that he's black. T'challa, for instance, is not black: He's pure African. Killmonger is half African-American, half Wakandian, and it's his African-American half that causes all the trouble.

Basically, he chimped out.

ITS SUPPOSED TO SUCK HURR DURR the movie sucked and will be Forgoten once it leaves theaters

Wakanda is incredibly closed-off and it's existence is supposed to be a secret. If he just wandered into their territory demanding to fight the king and claiming to be royalty he'd probably get imprisoned by a guard on a border territory. By bringing in Klaw he gave himself an in.

>black Chad from America comes and steals your throne

shiet

Now, I speak as a Chinese guy: I felt that a lot of this show went over my head, and that the choreography was a little clumsy in parts. But I think the show gets a lot of credit for basically being the first all-black 'mainstream' superhero movie, not counting Blade or the Meteorite Man.

But I think this movie had a big push towards success. I don't honestly think it was that good, but I might be biased. (I still think Civil War was much better, and Antman was better than this.)

Nah you're right, a lot of this movies praise is based on a lot of people just wanting this to be the greatest thing ever.
It wasn't bad, but the CG was pretty lack luster and a lot of it was a pretty by the numbers marvel flick.

Mine didn't reacted at all. But again, i'm not American.

well to be fair ruining countries was his job, but that shit did go down pretty fast jesus fuck

They put a token outsider into the story and didn't make him into a useless joke.
Doesn't happen enough.

>Had a villain worth a shit
>I LOST PEOPLE
>So I will proceed to murder innocents and stop on my culture of origin to get my way

user, the bar is very low.
I mean there are people who thought Zod had a point.
Zod.
What I'm saying is, people are contrarian idiots who will take the bad guy's side no matter what.

1 BILLION DOLLARS

>>I LOST PEOPLE
>>So I will proceed to murder innocents and stop on my culture of origin to get my way
I mean...yeah? He was still the BAD guy, he was just more sympathetic than most other Marvel villains. He had a point, it's just the methods he'd chosen to right what he'd seen as injustices were brutal and, for the most part, downright evil.

Zod was sympathetic up until you realized that they could've just terraformed Mars.

Shuri is cute! CUTE!

>they could've just terraformed Mars.
He was getting revenge on Jor El.
God you people are dumb.

Killmonger and M'Baku.

>steal the Codex
>terraform Mars
>you now have a base of operations upon which you can wage war against Earth and terraform it eventually as well
Zod was dumb and didn't know how to play the long game.

I mean, using that term loosely, sure. In a very general sense, being an endangered species is very sympathetic.
But his tyrannical and hypocrisy ways made him very unsympathetic very quickly.
Also the implication is, the terraformer fails on dead worlds if not always.
Also why not just be Supermen? Also why not just fuck Faora. That's one way to get the species back.
I mean, Zod was an idiot, I'm sure that was the point to a degree, he was every reason Krypton should stay dead is the point. He was never really sympathetic.

My dude- he was pissing on Jor El by building Krypton over the place Jor El sent his son.

Only amerifats get this character

I mean, I went to see the movie, and I thought it was alright, but it's just another marvel movie. To pretend otherwise is to really just lie to yourself. Killmonger is a flat villain like all of the rest, more like a walking ideology with actions that don't make sense (primarily everything he does in the first act), and the rest of the movie has no real value besides set pieces, a few jokes that are easy to laugh at. Even I laughed at "sneakers" but it's just another movie, my man. Something to ride out February and make some money before the real cash cow comes in, meaning that this movie also really couldn't even have done anything impactful anyways.

The sneakers also comes to nothing, by the way. At no point does T'challa even attempt to move stealthily after that. More, what about the EMP discs? You're telling me those wouldn't come in handy, when there was a massive car chase immediately afterward?

A problem I had was the fact that Black Panther's powers are multilayered: He has the suit, he has his training, and he has his jungle juice. But that makes things less clear - In the final battle, when they activate the trains, what does that affect? They just keep fighting regardless. Is Killmonger's suit more powerful than T'challa's? How? They're both effectively bulletproof and both have the kinetic storer.

>hope to fuck this gets some inner city at-risk black kids

we live in a world where Black Panther has more relevance to an urban audience than Luke Cage

fucking kill me and fuck Jeph Loeb and Netflix for their horrid version of Luke Cage

Did it never occur to T’Challa to talk things out with Killmonger, or to explain his father’s choices.
>I want the throne, I’m of royal blood and I brought back the dead body of your nation’s number 1 enemy. Let me challenge you.
>You kidnapped Klaue from us while he was in our custody, where you opened fire on me and my compatriots
>Your father was killed for trying to attack the king and his trusted advisor. That on top of your own killing spree disqualifies you from challenging me
Honestly, had he shown up after T’Chaka’s death with his father’s journal, they probably would have accepted him, maybe even legitimized his challenge

Plot was not the standard "ayylmao come to take over the WORRRRLD" shit
Costumes that you wouldn't see in any standard Hollywood movie period, let alone capeshit
Bad guy 2-dimensional instead of 1-dimensional
Deeper political message without hitting you over the head with it

plus

OKOYE

It's about time we realize capeshit is retarded. Even fucking videogames have better villains these days.

It wasn't made to pander to black people, but to pander black panther's fanbase.
Despite all the bullshit about race every sjw said this movie was about, it wasn't like that.

hahajaja

>I mean, my takeaway from it is that peace is so fragile that you really can't let anyone in. Wakanda was right to stay hidden: The King's only mistaken was not flat-out murdering Killmonger to tie up loose ends.
You got that completely backwards. The point is that Killmonger wouldn't have turned Psycho if he wasn't abandoned. And for the same reason, the United States wouldn't have trained him to be such a killer if Wakanda had interveined during the colonial period.

Doing nothing and let the world rot is not an option, as the rot would eventially spread to your lands.

Going nuts dominating the world with military might is not an option either, as you would just create more Killmongers who want nothing more than revenge.

Wakana's lesson is the importance of knowing there is such a thing as middle ground. Fuck the slippery slope argument, you can be moderate and win out.

Diversity

>He didn't get the reference
youtu.be/qlUt7aDMNus

Several hundred million dollars on marketing.

And dozens of Kickstarter-type thingies literally begging for money from people to buy movie tickets for other people.

>Cringiest line ive ever heard in a movie

It's not even the cringiest line in that movie.

"throw my body in the sea blah blah slaves slaves slaves"

He tackled that stupid rhino
And he panthered m’baku in the coronation fight

Basically, border patrol wouldn't have let him in. He only got in because he brought them Klaw (This is all conjecture, but I imagine he was waiting 'till Klaw got thrust back into Wakanda's spotlight. Killmonger busted him from T'Challa's grasp, so he knew that T'Challa, and ergo the country, wanted to get their hands on thei old enemy finally. A perfect time to betray Klaw and serve him up to the border guards and slip inside the country)

>98907585
the choreography/action plain sucked. The director just doesn't know how to fuckign do fight scenes. When it comes to MCU fights, it's just the Russos I really trust now.

But he did use them, he just used one tho. The upgraded disks allowed his sis to do the car ad during the chase, leading up to the CIA guy hijacking the transporter.
The sonic shit used to keep the vibranium on the trains from exploding due to the trains speed also nullified both suits (since they are the exact same tech) abilities to absorbs the kenetic energy. Hence why they where getting torn and seemed to be turning on/off. That's why the sis was hesitant about turning on the train.
Did you pay attention?

Wow dubs, also I forgot. Your right about the sneakers. Fun gag that went nowhere.

Literally nothing except timing and how it was advertised. It's an average Marvel movie people are treating as spectacular I went to see it and I don't see what the fuss is about. I feel the same way I did when everyone was hyping up Wonder Women and when I finally went to go see it I was underwhelmed. I have no idea why everyone is saying it's so amazing. It's really not. People are going to forget it in a few months just like they did with WW.

No, what I meant is, it's not as clear. When Iron Man and Iron Monger are fighting, their suits are their only power. When the suits are down, they're helpless. Here, even when the suits are sort of melting off them, they're still fighting without any notable reduction in ability.

So the only villians that are alive now are Loki, the Abomination, and Thanos?

another user here, but I agree in as much as they never used the Sonic Vibranium Nulifier train to effectively change a dynamic.
Take the War Rhinos. I found them really silly, but they changed the dynamic by giving the "Bad" faction the edge and raising the stakes. That's what the train nullifier should've done, but doesn't really do 'till the end, when T'Challa stabs Killmonger in one of the openings from the nano-tech.
A better use of the train nullifier would be to have Killmonger and T'Challa both aim for those exposed areas. Killmonger gives T'Challa a good kick to the shin, and boom, his leg has gone numb and the dynamic has changed. Whiddling down each other like that. Something a bit more clever and, well, visceral, because the rest of it felt like the Zod/Superman fight, where it feels like neither one is getting hurt.

Because the suits only absorbed the Kentucky energy/bullets. Without the suits it was basically the ritual fight again only with the superhuman abilities that they had been using for most of the fight already.
With the irons the point is without the suits they are powerless. also the panther fight was literally a death fight since neither was ever really going to yield.

Dormammu
Mordo
Zemo
Vulture
Scorpion
Justin Hammer
The gold-painted lady from GotG2
General Ross
Man-Ape

Oh and I think The Collector and Grandmaster.

I think the train nullifies where more of an excuse for then to take a breather and exchange diologue. I do agree that they could have been used better.
And they where hopped up on heart juice, so in a sense it was kinda zod/superman marvel edition.

>Wakandan character comments guns are uncivilized
>They chose their king by mortal combat

Obi-Wan once said such things also.

Steve and Bucky were both hopped up on Super Soldier Serum, and their fights still felt really painful. You can do it even with heart juice -- in fact, they did it pretty well when Killmonger beats T'Challa in Ritual Combat (no heart juice there, but when T'Challa gets tabbed there, that looks like it hurt. That's the element of pain I missed in most of this fight -- something to ground you in these fantastical, CGI fights)