What are some weird or seemingly silly changes/retcons? I present to you the case of Carnage, aka Cletus Kasady...

What are some weird or seemingly silly changes/retcons? I present to you the case of Carnage, aka Cletus Kasady, pictured here as a Transforming robot. At some point in every appearance he would be written to speak in a stereotypical Southern/hillbilly accent, even though he never had this way of talking in most of his early appearances, no doubt done simply because the name "Cletus" is a usual name associated with such people in fiction. It sort of reminds me to a lesser extent of when Sandman and Norman Osborn were made to be cousins because of their similar looking hairdos. In any case, what are some other instances of weird shit like this?

black robot getting the red repaint

>i defy the nemesis prime law of repaints! defy it i say!

There’s a video game where Carnage had a southern accent,

Wasn't he a redneck when everyone got inverted because he requested a statue with a confederate flag.

Is he only pretending to be a redneck?

Cletus was born in Brooklyn and raised in NYC. If anything, he should be written with a strong Brooklyn accent.

why reed richards is actually the villain

exhibit a:

Sandman and Osborn's genetic cause for their hair looking the way it does is so vanishingly rare that it would be more unusual for them to not be distantly related (the cause is essentially the wavelength of the wave of their hair, which when cut to a specific length gives the characteristic "cornrow" look). More to the point, though rare overall, in a high density part of the US like New York, it's perhaps only unusual that both men became career criminals, as that's a statistically unlikely career; but two or even more people with hair like that should be easy to find in such a large population.

>CARnage

Are... are these MARVEL Transformers, did they actually sell these like the Star Wars Transformers?

Yep.

We have such sights to show you.

BTW, never trust stock photos. They aren't done by the people who make the toy and are often mistransformed or oddly posed.

Once you have that in mind, it's also important to note that the regular Transformers designers didn't work on these or Star Wars Transformers, which explains why some of them aren't up to usual design par.

For example to the first point, Thor's wings are supposed to unfurl to simulate a cape

Remember the jet where you can combine Iron Man and Spider-Man?

Carnage is sort of an echo of whatever is edgy. In the 80s/early 90s it was edgy to be a heavy metal/anarchist/punk dude, so he was kind of that. Now it's edgy to be a the-South-will-rise-again redneck, so he's kind of that. He wasn't really punk rock in the 90s, and he's not really a redneck now, but he sort of evokes those things.

I think it's in-character for him to just use the southern accent to annoy people.

I think they kind of toned it down (or even eliminated it entirely) after AXIS and that Nova story where he at one point even yelled, "The South shall rise again!"

I have the Cap and Spidey bike ones. They aren't too bad, actually. Better than most if the Star Wars Transformers, at least.

would it have been better if it was transformers characters who turn into marvel vehicles?

like broadside turning into the helicarrier or starscream into the blackbird?