What is the goal of Two Face? How does he function as a long standing villain...

What is the goal of Two Face? How does he function as a long standing villain? Most people ask "why would anyone work for the Joker", but I can imagine some nihilistic scumbags easily buying into Joker's shtick, who would work for Two Face though? How could his model be profitable at all for anyone, and even if it isn't supposed to be, how the hell does he get anything done?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U-Dk0O42c2s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He pays people with money

Origin story aside, he's pretty much just another "mobster with a gimmick" character. Those are a dime a dozen in Batman's rogue gallery.

I don't think all versions of Two-Face literally flip a coin to decide everything they do.

So what is his end game then, to be rich? To control Gotham? What happens if Two Face wins?

Two face is the most sane gotham villian to hench for dude. At his absolute worse, he'll flip a coin and he'll only pay you half. He doesn't use people for cannon fodder or experiments. He doesn't even want you dressed like so freaky ass dandy. Just show up on time and respect the OCD. You'll get out better than any other big name. Save for penguin, that he's his own story.

That depends on what the coin falls on.

what would happen if the other half of his face got just as messed up?

A robot chicken sketch thats what.

Or like in the cartoon, he'll just make another alt-ego

>most sane gotham villain
Nah, that'd be the riddler.

No, the riddler fucking sucks.

Dent at least gets how the game works. He knows you're just trying to get some scratch and get out.

>The entire time you're working for the riddler he's either talking down to you or giving you fucking riddles.
>Spend all goddamn day setting up fake heists across the city and he just fucking tells batman where we are.
>Watched him completely freak the fuck out and nearly kill a henchman for cleaning up a clue.
>Is the absolute master of fucking up a sure thing
>Never fucking pays us regularly or on time, he gives us fucking clues and makes it a treasure hunt.
>Have to wear a green spandex onesie with a big purple fucking question mark on it.

In most continuities Riddler will not mutilate or kill you.
He will barely even injure the people he's actually opposing.
The shit new King run being the exact opposite of course, but that obviously wasn't real Riddler, it was some retarded monkey faced violence prone idiot calling himself the Riddler for unknown reasons.
Two-Face on the other hand is not at all above randomly murdering you over a coin flip.

>What is the goal of Two Face?
Ideally, Two-Face is a character who's supposed to be both the vengeful scourge of the underworld as well as someone who rules over it. He's arguably more successfull at cleaning up Gotham as a crime boss than he ever was as a district attorney, and Eye of the Beholder (the definitive origin story for him) even shows that he consolidated his power due to gaining access to detailed files that could put half of Gotham's crime bosses behind bars.
Him being a master criminal is secondary to his overall character since it's just what allows him to continously fight Batman and be a danger to Gotham City.
The closest thing Harvey has to an end goal is the end of his suffering.

>What happens if Two Face wins?
Depends on what you see as "winning", because the only way Two-Face "wins" anything is if he gets cured or if he dies. He's done both several times and it never lasted long.
Killing Batman isn't a victory for him, if anything it's him offing the only person in the world who still believes in Harvey Dent.
If anything he'd probably turn his sights on finishing off the rest of Gotham's super criminals and vigilantes, if he didn't kill himself first.

What if half his dick got burned?

He'd be no dick

you'd be wrong

it's almost like all of batman's villains are extremely unrealistic and purely gag characters only kept alive and relevant because they're necessary to carry the plot.

Dent's from an era of Batman where Batman was more a detective and vigilante than a plot armor super hero saving the universe from gods and demi-gods.

There he makes sense as a minor character who functions at testing Batman in his own Two-Face way. He also serves as a potential redemption character.

Unfortunately for Two-Face, in this modern multi-universe crossover-happy comic industry. he has an even smaller and minute role to play than he ever has before. He's not even complex or effective enough to join most supervillain teamups (not that he'd want to).

Two Face wants to clean up all the crime and corruption in Gotham by taking extreme measures. He wants to be the vigilante who murders mob bosses, or a kingpin who controls the underworld thru fear. Harvey's that one cop who wants to take the law into his own hands because the government is too corrupt and inefficient to solve the problem.

That's the Penguin. The Penguin, you dolts.

When he gets caught, unlike almost every other supervillain who gets sent to Arkham, the Penguin gets sent to Blackgate Penitentiary. There's a reason for this.

Sounds like Two-Face ought to be working with Red Hood

>What is the goal of Two Face?
Revenge. The 'good' face punishes the criminal underworld by being a gangster. Robbing, killing and stealing from the criminals themselves. The 'bad' face punishes society at large by being a gangster. Robbing, killing and stealing from the people whose complacency supports a corrupt system.
>How does he function as a long standing villain?
He makes money. You don't know what the job is and you don't care. Two-Face is going to take from somebody and as long as you get yours then fuck'em.

He pays double.

Should have been the first answer to the thread

I've always seen Two-Face's schtick largely being revenge on the world. In a sense, he's like the Joker from The Man Who Laughs, which was before his major Batman obsession. His mental state has more or less deteriorated into blind rage at the world, blaming everyone but himself for his fall from grace and his exile.

So then it would only make sense to assume that Harvey predominately attracts other misfits, probably angry young men with a chip on their shoulder. As great as Professor Pyg was, Two Face should be the real ringleader of the Circus of Strange. He should be a cult figure for all of the losers, outcasts and weirdos, a figurehead for a bitter "fuck the world" movement.

>He should be a cult figure for all of the losers, outcasts and weirdos, a figurehead for a bitter "fuck the world" movement
That's pretty much the premise of Matt Wagner's Faces.
But I think this position belongs better to characters who actually have a complex over their appearence, like Penguin or Killer Croc.
A lot of writers like to force a vanity complex on Harvey (as if he didn't have enough going for him as it was) and it always feels forced.

I mean for Harvey it's not about his face as so much as what it represents. He was on top of the world, then he lost everything. He's not mad about the ugly half, he's mad about the intact part, the one that reminds him of the man he used to be. The complex for Harvey boils down to a deep-seated resentment of other people having happy and fulfilled lives, never understanding the loss that he experienced.

>So what is his end game then

He doesn't have one. Sometimes he wants to kill Batman, sometimes he wants to just rob shit, other times he gets fixated on something related to duality...

To rob the Gotham 2nd National Bank on February 2nd at least two times

Maybe he's just chaos. He wants to continue living for the sake of doing to the world what the world did to him. Not out of vengence, or hatred, but out of sheer nature.

People follow him, probably, by believing or because he -was- a former lawyer that'd know the ins and outs of Gotham's laws. Ergo; criminals would be safer under him against the law than with... say... Joker who'd say Fucktherules and shoot everyone in the face with a bb-gun that shot thermite pellets with little smiley faces painted on each one.

Two-Face seems like a reasonable boss who would meet his goons halfway and make good on promises for bi-annual vacations even if his schemes are half-baked and executed half-heatedly at times.

He was the Gotham district attorney, so he's got tons of charisma.

Best villain. Also, best hero.

>he gets cured
Of his scarred face? I think that's a relatively easy fix for someone with so much money.

I think Two-Face's character is about making a statement on how meaningless human choices are in a universe of forces beyond our control. He believes it matters so little what we do that you may as well flip a coin.

He once believes that we control our destinies, that we make our own luck. That good comes to people who do good, and evil is punished. But he fought on the side of good, and still lost everyone. For no reason other than chance. Why me? It isn't fair. I gave my life to justice. No, it IS fair. I had the same chances as everyone else: 50/50.

Justice is a sham. It's this false idea that people receive outcomes proportionate to their actions. When really, our actions have nothing to do with it.

It isn't the face but the mind. For most of the time he doesn't even consider fixing his face because it fits his dual personality.

There was at least one story I remember where he tried to reform, even fixed his face but he fell back eventually because his madness kept him obsessing with duality.

He pays twice as much as the other villains.

The goal of Two Face is to have a villain who has Two Faces.

Also, Harvey Birdman was a lawyer before becoming Two Face, lawyers are known to be twofaced.

shit I meant Harvey Dent.

Two-Face sounds like a pretty decent boss, beyond his duality obsession. Just as long as you stay on his good side he wouldn't mistreat you or betray you like other bad guys.

>Should I make an example of one of my henchmen to make myself look more badass and scary?
>*flip*
>...
>BLAM

I need more heartwarming henching stories

Do you think guys in the Joker's crew try to bang Harley?

50% chance you get paid double
50% chance you get paid half
(2+0.5) /2 = 1.25 payrate on average
The math just works

Quinn is literally there only to attract henchmen. She's a poster girl.
Joker doesn't even fuck her himself, I'm 90% sure he's gay.
If you're good looking, Harley will blow you after a successful heist, but don't aim for more than that or she'll fuck you up.

Bullshit

>The fuck did I two?

I hate to quote TDK user but some men aren't looking for anything logical. Two Face is insane. The cunt doesn't know what he wants

>There was at least one story I remember where he tried to reform, even fixed his face but he fell back eventually because his madness kept him obsessing with duality.

user that "one story' sounds an awful lot like it comes from the most famous Batman story of all time

Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight?

I rather liked that about dent in Arkham city, he was basicly a very talented management leader due to his background. He was setup to be kingpin of crime after that game, ofcourse it went nowhere in the next

I'm a fucking casual don't read much Batman, it was with the crazy bitch.

We're clearly talking about "most sane" as in least likely to mutilate or murder you if you hench for him, learn to use context.
Also it's not even like Penguin is sane in general, he goes to elaborate lengths to torture people for minor perceived slights against him like laughing or accidentally bumping into him, up to and including having their friends and family murdered or infected with HIV. And he's not always sent to Blackgate.

This interpretation of Penguin is complete shit. I prefer the interpretation of him where he infects Batman with bird flu and uses the symptoms of it to convince Batman and everyone else that he is a coward

>off by one
>would have gotten three twos anyway
what a waste

I remember that one story made in the style of TAS where he gets fixed, but reverts willingly back because his new girlfriend got killed by her sister. And after killing her he willingly goes to Arkham Asylum. Or that was how I remember it. I may be wrong on some details.

>guy obsessed with twos
>no one sees a problem assigning a doctor with a twin sister to him

Gotham deserves its criminals.

Harvey sweating in the second panel makes this funny for some reason.

he flips a coin
if it comes up heads, he'll defend you in court

hes a homage/rip off of Dick Tracy villains, who were often "x-face" or some other gangster with deformity

Justice is dealt by the hand that wields it and his is flimsy. That's why he keeps losing to Batman.

Sometimes he likes ABBA, sometimes...it's Black Sabbath

he's a lonelyc cunt with a sick mind. user, what's your endgame? what happens if you win? you've never even thought of that because you just drag yourself through the constant misery that is your life, same for two-face. unlike joker, two-face doesn't actually enjoy his insanity, he only finds ways to cope with it for another day.

How do I read DKR on the iPad? Name an app. I've got it on my PC but it doesn't look good.

Don't know abot Ipad, but perfect viewer does wonders on my phone.

He propably got a subincision after the accident

>Just as long as you stay on his good side
That sounds like a lot of shuffling around.

>TFW you have to organize a charity car wash because the boss' coin landed on the unscratched side

I wish writers still used this aspect of Harvey.
It's rare enough nowadays when they even remember he is not supposed to be evil regardless of the coin's outcome.

For me 2face is the worst Batman villain

He has a stupid gimmick that doesnt really work because writers barely use it
And he doesnt have any actual goal just like others posted

Milligan should have another shot at the Bat. How was Morrison's run?

youtube.com/watch?v=U-Dk0O42c2s

fbpb

that and the fact that she's not looking into his eyes, like she's already gone

Guys, Mr. Cobblepot is an upstanding citizen of Gotham and local business owner. While he makes no excuses for his former life of crime, he finds it disheartening that, despite years of clean behavior, he is still referred to as a crime boss.

Birds of fether is the most frustrating episode