Why did the show focus so much on them being together yet they never actually got together...

why did the show focus so much on them being together yet they never actually got together? Was it really just for gags and a waste of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

tv.avclub.com/see-you-next-summer-alex-hirsch-says-goodbye-to-grav-1798244355
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmh1WGagp73Jx3podA1kzOvy-nSLATSiX
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

age gap, sage, >>/d/

you bumped the thread though
are you alright?

because Hirsch repeated himself as a way of filling all those episodes he took on himself

Prolly were intending to run the show longer than it did, or the buildup was to build character and personality for Dipper.

Would Dipper's fixation on Wendy be more believable if she had larger breasts?

What if they were huge?

It bugs me that the 13 year old kid characters are fucking midgets compared to the 15 year olds

It's just a generic filler thing to have the protagonist with an unrequited unobtainable crush. They were never meant to "get together" it's just a common relatable kid experience to have had a crush on some older person you have no chance with, it's a kiddie crush. That's all. There were lots of Bart Simpsons eps or "crush on babysitter" things like that.

The problem is it is a cliche and boring. Padippica shippers on here are really obnoxious but they (Pacifica and Dipper) actually were more interesting to watch interact really. But if it had been an actual crush that probably would have been annoying too. All the love plot things in Gravity Falls were bland. And since they are children of course nothing "real" would happen. So no "romance" on a show like this is best.

The show was clearly always meant to have a third season. Season Two would have been all about the buildup to the portal and 'Not What He Seems' would have been a season finale instead of a midseason cliffhanger. There would have been more stories like 'Blendin's Game' or 'Northwest Manor Mystery' centered around the supporting characters - Soos, Wendy, Pacifica, Gideon, Candy and Grenda - and building them into a competent and well-rounded team for the events of Season Three. Season Three and the post-portal arcs would have had more breathing room to introduce us to Ford and flesh him out as a character while emphasizing the growing divide between Dipper and Mabel leading up to Weirdmageddon.

Sadly it was not to be.

I think that the theory that there were supposed to be 3 seasons is probably true. But I doubt a real love plot was ever a plan. I think Hirsch also said they decided to mostly end the Dipper crush on Wendy episodes because the audience said they found them boring.

Are you guys this autistic? Why do you think it needed to be anything more than it was in order to have value?

The having a crush on an older girl is a classic element of those early teen coming of age years that she show was trying to encompass

>Are you guys this autistic?

Even if there'd been a third season, Dipper wasn't going to get together with Wendy. The show would've still taken place over the span of 3 months, and a 15 year old girl isn't going to hook up with a 12 year old boy. He might have a shot with her if they met up again a few years down the road, but that was never going to happen on-screen because the whole premise of the show involves it taking place in a single summer vacation.

They're close enough in age that it wouldn't even be statutory rape

I know a ton of 15 year old girls irl who dated 12 year old boys

It's hard not to believe this wasn't deliberate shipbait. Yes it shows that Pacifica is oddly antiquated with stuffy standards of dress for a kid, but a woman doing up a man's tie is a cliche gesture of intimacy.

She gave Dipper her hat. She clearly wants him

But she literally told him to see her when he's older.

when?

Titanon, leave us

>a 15 year old girl isn't going to hook up with a 12 year old boy

Alex Clark has a whole video series on dating his babysitter and it was basically the same gap as Dipper and Wendy.

I require links

>why did the show focus so much on them being together
It didn't though. It was a coming of age story and Dipper's unrequited crush on a cool older girl like Wendy was just supposed to highlight a part of growing up that people go through.

There were tons of signs scattered around season 2a of them developing, if not a mutual crush, than at least a close friendship.

Claims like this require proof user.
We need it.

Why does the OP feels so much about having a gf when he never had one ?

NEVER

because I want to kiss Wendy

oppacifica is the worst thing i ever seen...
I STILL DEFEND HER HONOR

But being classic doesn't make it good and it's ALWAYS been a shit element.

>why did the show focus so much on them being together yet they never actually got together?

Cause they just friends with benefits now

People on Sup Forums don’t understand coming of age stories. We see everything through the lens of shipping, headcanon fulfillment, shitpost fidder, jackoff material, and excuses to get buttmad. We don’t actually understand what stories are or how they work, and the idea that someone would make something to express something is baffling to us. Unless we can jack off to it or someone dies, it’s filler

I'd have liked that if only to give Dipper ONE friend his own age.

I thought that, in Wendy case at least, it was because of her "freakish lumberjack genes"?

>if not a mutual crush, than at least a close friendship
I could have lived with that, it sucked that Dipper's ONLY normal friend in Gravity Falls was Soos.

Dipper doesnt deserve friends. he is ugly and weird

Didn't they explain that Dipper and Mabel weren't exactly the most famous folks in school?

>school
hah, like a bite of a bee, not influencial.

Except even after he gets over it a few episodes into Season 2, Hirsh backtracks and refuses to let characters to progress.

>a close friendship
Pacifica and Dipper? What? She had two episodes where she didn't hate Mabel and Dipper but otherwise was nothing but antagonistic. I don't see how two eps and whatever bookstuffs throwing her fandom bones were "tons of signs."

What the fuck makes people here think they were owed a bunch of love stories from this show? Alex even said he didn't think kids that age could be in love. Kids in Afghanistan might meet their spouse at 12 but kids in upper middle class suburban California hardly ever do.

Write your fanfics and make your fanart but the anger here that this comedy mystery about kids on a summer vacation didn't end in weddings is bizarre.

I think that was supposed to be the case going by this photo, but it didn't come across clearly enough that Wendy's still freaky tall for her age.

Didn't she said so herself? I remember she was describing that she was freaky tall even at a young age

>oppacifica is the worst thing i ever seen...

You're lying out of your ass

i wish there was a third season. honestly we're lucky we even got two. hirsch wanted to quit the show after just one, it almost killed him

Not the guy, for one im somewhat glad dipper's got some love interest with someone his own age.
but It feels forced if anything

It doesn't matter - characters need other characters to play off of, and if they're only interacting off the same one or two people it gets boring - part of why NMM was so well received was that it's one of the only times we actually see Dipper have any kind of serious interaction with someone besides fucking Soos and Mabel in the show. The only other instances that even come to mind are Dipper and Wendy in 'Into The Bunker' and Dipper and Robbie in 'Fight Fighters'

>it almost killed him
What did? The show's budget or like what?

what a pussy

j

Maybe.
Pacifica still best girl, for two pretty impressively huge reasons.

Why did show treat Wendy like a main character yet never bother to give her a personality? Bad writing.

>Why do you think it needed to be anything more than it was in order to have value?
Because what it was had no value in the first place.
>The having a crush on an older girl is a classic element of those early teen coming of age years that she show was trying to encompass
And every time it’s done it’s gotten more and More grating. If I enjoyed seeing Teenagers spill spaghettit and work them selves up over crushes or relationships that won’t happen because they’re too chickenshit to try, i’d Work at a high school.

>If I use the word We, people can’t accuse me of projecting
Speak for yourself only yourself faggot you hivemindes faggot. The “Dipper Pines over Wendy” was used as a plot hook for beyond what it should have been, especially in season two where it was supposed to have been resolved, it’s a waste of screen time, and the only less interesting plot line they could follow, would be Mabel and her flunkies chasing random boys. Relationship bullshit is almost never entertaining, especially when you already know it’s not going to anywhere and just wastes time that could be spent focusing on actually enteraing things, like Monsters, or Stan, especially Stan.

tv.avclub.com/see-you-next-summer-alex-hirsch-says-goodbye-to-grav-1798244355
AH: Gravity Falls is a very hard show to produce. I was not permitted for the longest time to let the world know that it was only going to be only two seasons. Season one was such a difficult thing. I’d never made a television show before, and just the type of show this is—the amount of callbacks and continuity, the level of artistry, the complicatedness of it—was very taxing. And in the middle of season one—I remember I was on my fourth all-nighter in a row—I promised myself, “This is it. You’re not making another season. You’re done.” Because I was wiped out.

We had written every episode of season one before the first episode aired, so I had no idea if people would even like the show. I didn’t know if this experiment had succeeded at all, and I made multiple promises to myself: “Alex, this is too hard, don’t make any more.” Even though I ended on a cliffhanger, even though my original intent had been to make more seasons. I came very close to not making another season. People think, “Oh, Alex, was it a choice between three seasons and ten seasons?” And it was briefly a choice of no more seasons. Honestly, it was the response from the fans—people loved it so much—so I said, “Shoot, I think I need to finish what I started here.”

> the network was never going to let him make 3 seasons
jesus h christ the thing was insanely popular before it even aired the pilot what was their fucking problem

I really wish they'd kept it down to a few episodes. The Simpsons managed to do just fine with the same plotline with one episode with Bart and that girl that Jimbo was dating. I know why all the Wendip shit happened it was just dragged out for way too fucking long.

Sounds more like a personal problem with being incapable of properly delegating or managing his workload, rather that it being an especially taxing process itself, considering that Nefcy doesn’t seem to be having this reaction.

Nefcy doesnt put any effort into her show aside from making love triangles

Not really true. After the runaway success of the first season Disney was banking on Gravity Falls to be their next big thing, and the reason why the announcement that the show was ending came basically out of the blue was because they'd held back on announcing the series finale until basically the last minute because they were hoping that he'd change his mind.

It was to make lil boys peepees hard. It causes a fixations that lasts a life time. Self insert style shite. This is basic fandom foundation creation stuff. Alex knew what he was doing.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmh1WGagp73Jx3podA1kzOvy-nSLATSiX

Blah blah blah.

So there's a Japanese tribute to Wendy fanbook called "Red Hot Riding Hood." Has anybody bought it, and is it any good, is it worth the price?

honestly Disney should have fired Hirsch after the first couple of Season 2 episodes and just continued it by themselves without him

So no chance of a ten years later thing where they’re both older and wiser and just hookup?

Nefcy's show is shit. Also, look what happens when someone does delegate everything- we get SU, a million episodes that suck with totally varying tone

I'm not speaking for myself, I'm speaking for whiny bitches like you

Disney still can continue it without him. It's their legal right. They own the property and can do whatever they want with it. The reruns still get big ratings. Disney could make 100 seasons if they wanted to. The fact that they haven't shows they know they can't do it without him

>honestly Disney should have fired Hirsch after the first couple of Season 2

Hirsch micromanaged EVERYTHING of the show, and was a perfectionist, he literaly helped rewritting every script. Everything that you like about it comes from him.

Remove him of the show, and you would get "Twin Peaks season 2", instead of "Twin Peaks season 1".

The most bugging thinkg though is the number of fingers, I mean, what the fuck?

the show was teaching you how to be a good little cuck

That was a good scene, I wish the rest of the episodes after this one had the same level of writing

>> the network was never going to let him make 3 seasons
where did u get that?

>All the love plot things in Gravity Falls were bland
Soos and the real girl was especially painful. I don't remember Soos ever giving a shit about romantic relationships before that episode and the girl he got with did fuck all afterwards.

Did you shit your pants when Bleach ended too?

Where was Wendy in the finale montage? Did Soos fire her for Melody? She'd have to be at the logging camp.

Isn't the summer holidays over in that montage?

I think she would be back at school.

Jesus the ending was so rushed and so bad
Wasted potential

Pacifica only really interacted with Dipper as a separate entity from Mabel in one episode, the manor mystery one, after which she went right back to being a lame Ivanka Drumpf parody who got her "just desserts" for being slightly mean to the Pines by losing her inheritance at the end while a few characters who tried to kill everyone got off scot free.

The idea that only one person out of a population of millions is capable of making a semi-decent show is ridiculous and quite frankly false. It’s more likely that The Mouse just didn’t feel it worth the trouble to find someone able interested in continuing someone else’s pet project, especially since it would have generated a “Not Muh” reactions from fans anyways.

The jarring thing about this picture is how nice the clothes are drawn (relative to the show's style) than anything else.

huh? The show made it pretty clear time and time again that Dipper never had a chance. They really should have stopped this nonsense in season 1.

Except that unlike most of those, this show did it shittily. Hell, in the first season, Dipper even ends up with Wendy, but has to give it all up because he retard sister needed her Mandatory Disney Animal Mascot™.

If you're only going to make one great show in your life, make it count, put in the long days, the long months and do it fucking right. Don't chicken out halfway through. Don't get me wrong, Gravity Falls is GOOD, but it could have been GREAT. It could have been the kind of show like a BTAS or ATLA where people are praising 10, 20 years later for breaking ground and pushing the boundaries of quality for animation.

What sucks is that the start of Season 2 was really promising in that regard - Into The Bunker seemed like it was very a much a "this part of Dipper's story is over, they're just going to try and move on together as friends" moment and most of the rest of Season 2 has Dipper genuinely advancing as a character and then all of a sudden NOPE - he never got over her and he's been secretly pining for her all season and all the stuff about being friends or having relationships with other characters is dropped and Dipper gets fucking reset to Season 1.

I misunderstood

God what a fucking whiner. Yes, making a show is a lot of work, especially if you want it to be good, but don't sit there and act like you're one of the sweatshop Koreans animating it frame by frame you whiny microdick manlet hack. What next he's going to start crying about his dad making him clean his room again like those /gfg/ memes? Such a low energy individual. Sad!

No wonder the hiatus took so long

It was far too early for Alex to be directing. He was fixated with micro-managing everything and also decided that it would be a bright idea to voice half the town. He really needed to learn how taxing the industry was.

He also needed a team of people he could trust. A writer that struggles to fill a twenty minute run-time, and so proceeds to make filler content, is not a good writer and yet that's what one of the writers, not only admitted to, but also thought he was giving good advice; in saying that maybe fifteen minutes is the perfect runtime. If that guy was my employee, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from rewriting all his shit either.

>A writer that struggles to fill a twenty minute run-time, and so proceeds to make filler content, is not a good writer and yet that's what one of the writers, not only admitted to, but also thought he was giving good advice; in saying that maybe fifteen minutes is the perfect runtime
Why would he not have just replaced that guy? Does not have that sort of authority? Was he just dumped with a bunch of randos and told “this is your crew now?”

if you mean roadside attraction that was pretty much shit in every damn regard

He blamed disney for the late renewal but it was his fault for pretty much quitting and then coming back to it way late

I wish I knew how that stuff worked user, because then maybe I could apply to work as one of those suits at Disney and have a good income, for a change. But, I assuming (I know I shouldn't) that he was working with some of the people he know from college and with some new faces and neither one makes for a particularly tight team. Especially not both. I'm also assuming that he didn't have hiring and firing power, because that costs time and money and so that would be someone else job. Alex would have the power to complain about any one he didn't like, but we've all seen the Simpson episode about the goat that eats employee complaints.

It would be easier to believe it was an isolated incident of bad if it wasn’t also brought back for weirdmageddon.

You’re an idiot. That’s like saying that anyone could write and draw Calvin and Hobbes, or anyone could perfectly forge a signature. Artists have a unique voice in their writing, directing, and thought process, one that’s very hard to copy. Look what happened when they tried to make Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 without Chris Miller & Phil Lord.

Sup Forums can’t decide if Hirsch is a lazy hack who doesn’t care, or an incredibly hard worker who cares too much. Shitpost all you want, but at least get your stories straight. From everything the crew had said about him online, it seems like the second one.

Hey now, don't lump me in the rest of Sup Forums

I think he was just a normal guy. Not a hack or some paragon of effort. Just a guy who was hired too young and made mistakes. That's not a hack, the only hack in that regard is the suits that hired him to be a director of a children's show-- based on one student project they saw. They gambled and they gambled poorly, should have hired him and then let him earn the role of director. As well as, instil a sense of company loyalty in him.

Sup Forums is made up of people with differing tastes and opinions, of course there won't be much of a concensus about Alex Hirsh.