Is Rango what animation for adults in America should aim for?

Is Rango what animation for adults in America should aim for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g
youtube.com/watch?v=AEsMW0GidxI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

One of the most hyperealistcs 3d cgi movies i seen...
And never get a sequel

>And never get a sequel
Rango is what animation should aim for
Hell, I would even say Rango is what movies in general should aim for

Fucking this. I'm planning on getting drunk and rewatching it this weekend just because of this thread.

I'll be accompanying you in spirit; I'm definitely giving it a rewatch.

post the fox

A sequel is unnecessary.

Maybe. 3D seems to be better considered as an adult medium than traditional, 2D "cartoons". It might help to erase once and for all the retarded belief that animation is only for children.

Maybe? It is of the highest quality, but I don't advocate that every animated film should take the exact same approach. Variety is interesting as well.

The film doesn't need a sequel. It was a contained story that hit all the appropriate marks. It would be nice to have a follow-up or something similar, but not a sequel. We've talked about the state of ILM before, and it's completely uncertain if there will ever be another.

>He has the same voice actor as Lotso from Toy Story 3

I wish more cg movies had this kind of detail. Most if them are painfully similar to each other visually.

For a Rango sequel would you rather it stay a western? In that case the marquis de carrabas route won't work very well.
Part of me would like it if it was more about how Rango going into other genre of film and inserting himself seamlessly into those environments.

Wait, this movie is good?

Yes

We've been sucking it's dick for seven years. Where've you been?

It's unironically one of the best CGI movies ever made.

It's not perfect, but it's damn good.

>fox tits

Rango is an incredibly overrated movie.

it won an Oscar.

YES. Jesus fucking christ. ALL animated films, adult or not, should aim for it's level.

Rango is what animation and movie in generally should strive for. It is one of my favorite movies of all time for a reason, its perfect.

>We've talked about the state of ILM before, and it's completely uncertain if there will ever be another.
What do you mean? Explain?

It is arguable one of the best films of the past decade.

Whatever it is, it's probably George Lucas's fault.

It is one of those amazing movies who are inexplicably underrated.
I like it that way, though; keeping it small means less contrarians.

It's my favorite animated film. It probably sounds like such a weird choice, but it honestly is so incredibly well-executed in about every manner. I've been studying film and animation for about a year and a half, and it's always one that I come back to.

It's unironically the greatest animated film of the 2010's. And possibly 2000's.

i like good movies out of nowhere too

Well George started ILM, so everything is his fault.

top-tier choice.

I kinda feel bad for George.
At least the recent failure with TLJ probably had him laughing.

Imagine if they made an hyper-realistic animated horror movie with extreme graphic violence and gore; it could even seem like a real snuff film.

Nah, George is an asshole. Or a very human figure with lots of flaws who has helped make some great works, and some shitty works, revolutionized cinema, and fucked over a lot of people in the process. Depends on how you look at him.

He definitely got a good laugh/cry at TLJ.

Rango doesn't need a seque indded, but a spin-off about Rattlesnake Jake's adventures could've been fun.

Like it means anything anymore.

>You see them, Mr. Rango? All my friends, and neighbors? It's a hard life here. Very hard. Do you know how they make it through each and every day? They believe. They believe it's going to be better. They believe that the water will come. They believe that against all odds, and against all evidence, that tomorrow will be better than today. People have to believe in something.

>oh boy, just like my real snuff films!
Wat?

It was one of only a few deserving animation oscars.

The oscars are a joke. I legitimately forgot when they were this year.

Coco vs Boss Baby or Loving Vincent.

Rattlesnake Jake is Davy Jones.

Loving Vincent. but it'll be Coco obviously.

I didn't get to see Loving Vincent at the theater though it actually played in my city, I feel so ashamed

Pity he's full of shit.

>Boss Baby
>Ferdinand
Goddamn what a waste of nominations. Not that anything would have a chance against Pixar, but it would've been nice for something like Big Bad Fox or In This Corner to get more exposure.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g

The definition of Sup Forumscore.

In a good way.

Shame she got so little screentime.
>fantastic Mr. Fox
Was it too creepy looking for furfags to latch onto? I really liked it.

>Sup Forumscore
not Sup Forumsre?

That's so damn fitting.

And Rango is Captain Jack Sparrow.
And the director is Gore Verbinski who did Pirates of the Caribbean
And the music is done by Hans Zimmer who did Pirates of the Caribbean
And the CGI is done by the same people who did Pirates of the Caribbean

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Rango doesn't get all the love it deserves. A fucking masterpiece.

It gets Sup Forums love. A very rare, but powerful love.

it got an artbook, that's enough.

Not enough lewds I say.

Also, there are a number of references to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (also Depp). Rango's appearance even resembles the poster of that film.

One of the few things that gives me hope that Sup Forums has stellar taste is that Rango threads are incredibly positive. It's like Pikmin threads on Sup Forums

>Now... we ride!

What's your favorite joke in the movie?

Why is on model lewd dying out?

I want to pet her fluffy tail.

Is there more of this fox than just brief glimpses?

>But he's a snake and you're a lizard!
>My mother had a very active social life

Shows up when Beans goes catatonic.
>thirsty brother?
Great line.

>Thespians? Those are banned in seven states!
This movie got away with so much.

>only 20 results on e621 for rango_(movie)

I really love the liberal use of weapons in this movie.

I like the movie but somehow I still don't understand the villain's plan. Was it some land development thing?

it was actually the last non-Disney movie to win the Animation Oscar

>the entire town is packing heat
>rattlesnake jake's minigun tail

I wouldn't really like a sequel but rather a spiritual successor. New characters, new story but still have it be small desert animals in a western.

>...that's a big one.

youtube.com/watch?v=AEsMW0GidxI

>This video is not available.

Basically he wanted to force the town into adopting the new world's city model whose inspiration he drew from Las Vegas. The idea was getting absolutely everyone to sell him their lands so he could use them to construct a modernized city.

What the fuck was that anyway? From the looks if it it's much bigger than a human.

the Leviathan

That is chotehite. The desert dragon. It is a myth a few native American tribes have passed down through the generations. It eats the lost and evil spirits of the desert. Since the native tribes are all but extinguished, he sleeps underground, unable to muster the strength to hunt the deserts due to being starved. Also, I made all that up.

>1.3 Billion Dollars
>failure.

How many deaths are there in this movie? I remember a relatively high number.

Toad
Hawk
Mr. Merrimack
Presumably the Mayor
Several members of Balthazar's family and a few bats

Don't forget about Rango himself

Rango is a film with many, many brilliant things about it. Even the sound design is praiseworthy. But it has a weird energy which is NOT helped by Johnny Depp's performance and the lizard with human hair bugs me.

>But it has a weird energy which is NOT helped by Johnny Depp's performance
What do you mean exactly by that?

And the fly that drinks the cactus juice and his eye explodes.

>lizard with human hair bugs me

Why apply logic to a pseudo mystical anthropomorphic western cartoon? If you want to nitpick try something more substantial like the relative scale of everything or that some creatures aren't sentient.

I think pretty much all creatures are sentient, only with different ranges of expression.

god damn she is perfect

>go to hell!
>where ya think I come from?
I wanted more but I know we got just enough.

>For you

So can someone explain to me how this has managed to become one of the only animated films NOT made by Disney/Pixar to win an Oscar? Is it really that good?

I'm jacking this for my next DnD campaign, thanks user.

Yes

Just watch it and see for yourself. Don't rely on the opinion of others. Make your own judgments based on your experience.

I'm still a little disappointed the owls didn't just say "and so the lizard died and Rango was born" at the end

That cat's face in the second panel.

Because Disney had a pretty meh year.

Winnie the Pooh was underrated

The (few) humans in this film looked amazing

Would love to see whole CG films with art and quality like this, but I guess it's hard to justify using the medium and at such cost when you don't NEED it for unreal shit like anthropomorphic animals.

It was a shitty year for Disney (except for Winnie the Pooh, but it flopped so hard the Academy didn't even pay attention to it).