Is Vader the most depressing Sup Forums character?

>inb4 Sup Forums
Considering the fucking amount of SW comics, plus the fact that Vader's been headlining his own Marvel ongoing since 2015, I think it more than qualifies to be here.

But anyway, I was thinking about it, and Vader's life really is one huge series of miserable events. Especially from the moment he is saved from Mustafar, he essentially becomes an emotionless cropse moving along with robotic limbs, with no purpose but to kill, hurt and destroy. He gets some motivation when he learns about Luke, but for those ~20 years at least, his life was an empty, waking nightmare.

Is there anyone who can rival him? Maybe JonCon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Q1RJhldi7xs
youtu.be/Wm593Vhs3bI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

At least he was a good friend.

Star Wars as a whole is depressing. Fuck The Last Jedi.

Agreed. He felt like no one believed in him which caused a downward spiral, even obi wan thought he wasnt worth saving and gave up on him. The only part of his life were he was able to be happy was at the very end when his son was the only person left who hadnt given up on him.
Luke is a pretty depressing character too. Dad's a bad guy and is only able to connect and bond with him before he dies. Tries to reestablish the jedi, in a moment of weakness fucks that up and becomes a hermit and shuts himself off from everything. Defeats the empire, it comes back within his lifetime. Every goal he had accomplished or was working on after episode 6 failed. To me it felt like his life was wasted.

Sauce on that pic?

On a side not do you guys think George Lucas got ripped off?Selling everything for 4 billion when TFA made like 2 billion alone?

Why do people even care about Star Wars outside of the movies?

I mean beside autism, obviously

New Vader comic by Soule, issue 5.

Why is this even a meme?
We see their friendship.

Sequel trilogy is not canon

Is there a SW recommended reading list? I don't care about canon, just good stories

Aside from the few early decades of adventures training with Obi yeah things go to shit by the clone wars considering how many people he knew get killed off but everything really went downhill for him post ROTS and he was stuck becoming an depressed murdering robot man

>Hey rember how hopeful Luke and everyone was by the end of ROTJ?
Well fuck you they didn’t accomplish shit and even Luke became a depressed hobo who tried to kill his psychotic edge lord nephew, someone should really punch Rian and Kathleen in the face for their choices

I'm really enjoying the new Vader series but honestly besides that and Rogue One, SW is almost dead to me.

If IX is as bad as VII and VIII I'm done with the franchise.

Anyone can be tempted by the dark side, user. That's kind of it's whole deal.

They’ve already had a better story we’re luke got tempted to the dark side TLJ luke didn’t even get tempted he tried to murder his fucking nephew for the sake of shitty writing and directing

Honestly this. The Luke character's internal consistency seemed to be sacrificed on the altar of giving Kylo some semblance of a logical motivation.

Anyone else absolutely love how they depict Vader during his meditation?

That’s probably it Rian could not think of anything better because he’s a hack, why did doesn’t choose him anyways and not bother make a plan for their flagship trilogy

>STILL fucking complaining about this
God, of all the fucking problems with this movie, why do you people choose one of the smallest?

The fact that Luke wasn't presented as the perfect Jedi that never again fell to any sort of temptation was one of the best parts of the movie.

Nope
I remember when people said the same about the prequels
I remember how naive they where, because the empire still controlled more worlds, had a much larger army and a larger fleet then the rebels at the end of ROTJ.

Force vision showed that Kylo would be worse than Vader, force visions are always right.

No, we're told about it.

Fucker should have just gotten over it. LMAO what a baby.

>one of the smallest?

Sure, if you think
>Gosh, guys, he just considered murdering his nephew briefly to keep something bad from happening and then ran away forever when something bad happened,
>it's only the opposite of literally his entire character and everything he's done so far just so we can have him relearn the things he already knew and then die!
>Why aren't you satisfied with our poorly thought out bullshit meant to push our boring characters nobody likes?! It's only the crux of the entire sequel trilogy, that's all!

No, we see it.

Sure user. That ~50 user score is all Canto Byte, and not several generations raised on Luke Skywalker being as iconic a hero as Superman. Funnily enough, I think I know another franchise that tried to deconstruct a iconic hero, much beloved and portrayed as a beacon of hope and optimism from around the same era of film making. I wonder how well that worked out for them after that good will ran out?

Nah, I'm sure it was just the alt-right or hackers.

>I remember how naive they where, because the empire still controlled more worlds, had a much larger army and a larger fleet then the rebels at the end of ROTJ.

And then they disbanded completely but still came back somehow even stronger, we think. We're not sure, it's probably in an art book or something.

You know user, there are times when people DON’T want their fucking expectations ‘subverted’. This was one of those times and was the MOST egregious error in this piece of shit laughingly called a film.

>, I think I know another franchise that tried to deconstruct a iconic hero
Hey fuck you Casshern Sins was fantastic

>It's only the crux of the entire sequel trilogy

We literally had an entire movie dedicated to finding a map to find him, and then it turns out it was for fucking nothing. TFA was all FOR FUCKING NOTHING

Luke dying offscreen would've been more satisfying, at least then we don't have to live with the fact they could've finally had our favorite characters all together again for one last ride, but they chose to squander it instead and now we'll never get the chance ever again.

They never disbanded, they just changed their name. Like going from the Roman republic to the Roman empire

Things get worse for him when he lost his mother and the Jedi were too emotionless to know how to deal with this matter and help him to move on.

The war also made it worse since he took every lose as personal failure and the Jedi were expecting so much from him.

And last jedi gave us a good answer to of why he was missing in the first place

The sad thing about his story is that he would have been far much happier as a slave in tatooine than he was as a Jedi. They really doomed him.

I wasn’t asking for Luke to be perfect just not a complete cynical fucking failure for the sake of the shit plot, the movie was a mess because both the director was shit and the person who chose him cares more about her agenda than the ducking brand she owns

>as the perfect Jedi
He was never prefect. He was actually pretty selfish since he is only reason for becoming Jedi was because his father was one and he literally risked everything in ROTJ just to get his father back.

No it didn't, it gave us the dumbest and most senseless answer anyone could have possibly thought up. A toddler would have been able to think of something better than

>He ran away!
Because even a toddler would ask why the fuck Luke would run to a jedi temple and take care of it while also stating THE ENTIRE FUCKING PREMISE OF THE MOVIE BEING THAT HE THOUGHT THE JEDI HAD TO END AND FUCK'EM. Oh and that map? Who fucking even knows, this makes it downright impossible for any explanation, any at all, to make sense. Either Luke made a map to a place where he didn't want to be found after running away from the big bad who corrupted his nephew and leaving at the worst time when he knew danger was ahead, or R2 somehow just magically got a chunk of map to a place that people who knew luke "knew where he would go" based on and appropo of nothing and now it doesn't make sense that he's there at all. The entirety of the force awakens is now based on one of two equally stupid options and neither of them even explain why Luke was there in the first place because the characterization is so bad.

This is so mind bogglingly stupid it only makes sense that someone would still be defending it on twitter with 'badass', if anyone actually thinks about it they'd realize they could not have fucked up harder if they tried. They literally could not have done worse than "Ran away to place he didn't want to be and left map so he could not be found there."

The denial is strong in this one.

Plenty of stuff.

Vader:
>Darth Vader and the lost command
>SW Purge
>Darth Vader and the ninth assassin
>Darth Vader and the cry of shadows
>Darth Vader: Ghost Prison
>Both new canon Vader comics by Marvel
>Dark Lord: The rise of Darth Vader novel

The Clone Wars comics by Dark Horse. If you want a genuine good sequel trilogy read the Thrawn trilogy books.

The worst thing about The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were that they made it so nothing anyone did before actually mattered in the long run. Obi Wan and the Jedi council failed to stop the rise of the Empire and Palpatine. Luke did redeem Anakin, but destroying the Empire didn't bring back the Old Republic. pionts out what happened to Luke, but Han and Liea are just as tragic. Leaving aside their son turning to the Dark Side, their marriage fell apart and Leia's dream of reestablishing the Old Republic turned out to be a pipe dream. If taking down five planet's and a single fleet of capital ship's ended the "New Republic," there wasn't much of a New Republic to begin with. Which was why Leia was off playing soldier instead of being an elder statesman or whatever. She was tacitlky admitting her dream of reforming the Old Republic had failed, and Han left becase between his son going bad and his wife being unable to give up on an impossible dream, he couldn't take it anymore. The New Republic failing isn't really surprising. The Old Republic was falling apart as of Phantom Menace, Palpatine just stepped in and used the chaos to his advantage to consolidate power. He knew the Senatorial system was breaking down, which is why he gradually devolved power back to regional governors and eventually dissolved the Senate. He was managing the breakup of the Republic while maintaining overall control. With the Empire gone, the Old Republic wasn't going to reform anymore than the Roman Empire did after it broke up, but Leia had been feed a steady diet of how awesome the OR was by Bail Organa and believed it's Restoration was waht everyone wanted when in reality most members wanted the Empire gone so they could be independent. Most memebers of the Rebel Alliance had no interest in restoring the OR.

So what the fuck is the Imperial Remnant in the Core Worlds doing during all of this?

I'm reminded of this one video I watched a while back about the whole reality of Star Wars.

youtu.be/Q1RJhldi7xs

>someone make a thread about Vader comic
>TLJ fans and Luke fans once again mess up another thread with their pointless arguments
Good job.

Meh. The Empire fragmented. The First Order is just one Imperial Remnant, probably out of hundreds. The New Republic had a single fleet of capital ships at the home system with the smattering of ships we saw in The Last Jedi. If that was keeping the First Order at bay, then they weren't any larger. Starkiller base was likely some project initiated by Palpatine in the last years of his rule that Snoke took over and spent the next 30 years completing. I don't buy the "with the New Republic gone, The First Order is taking over the galaxy" bullshit. Both the First Order and New Republic were fractions of the original Empire, most of which retained lage portions of the Imperial or Rebel fleets, production facilities or infrastructure. Logically speaking, it's a big galaxy. The Empire has been gone for over thirty years. The plans for the Death Star, pretty much the nuclear weapon of the Star Wars universe, have been essentially around just as long. Snoke needed Starkiller base to one up the potentially dozens of Death Stars built by the various Imperial or even former Rebel factions out there.

I know this is not true but I pretend it is. It makes me feel better about the whole star wars mythos.

Likely minding their business. Probably built a few Death Stars as a deterrent to the First Order or any other factions that might want to screw with them.

Sad but true. It's why, though I was willing to give the new canon a chance, I vastly prefer the old EU on reflection. All I would salvage is Kylo, and frankly, I prefer the Solo brats.

I just don't enjoy all that you laid out. It's not for me. I don't even like the directions Rebels has taken, with spirits and the force as blatant D&D style magic. Which basically means Star Wars is no longer for me, outside nostalgia over my old material.

Fuck it. At least I'm still enjoying capeshit, and that shows no sign of ending.

From a certain point of view, it is. If you consider canon what the creator releases/writes, that you can sell the brand but not the 'soul', then Disney isn't canon, any more than if Star Wars had lapsed into public domain and a fanfic author had legally been able to write and sell a sequel trilogy.

Or, put another way, the Disney SW material isn't G-Canon, or even allowed to exist under his throne, as the old EU did.

Honestly I’d be fine if they didn’t reform the republic and just had Leia trying to reform it on more political terms while Luke is of trying to stop Kylo and snoke instead of the retarded muster box of trying to find where he is and why which was even more disappointing how hard would it have been to have Luke find Leia train her and help him confront Kylo/ snoke and reform with a few remaining survivors of Kylo purge who just want to kill the edgy bastard and they have the big confrontation in the first film with not Death Star blowing up and the second film could’ve just been a big the army of the pissed of survivors of the new republic going total war against the strong but weakened first order with Leia leading the armies and Luke/Rey going fighting snoke and Kylo, I mean that just something I thought up in like ten minutes but I’m pretty sure it would’ve been much better than shitty slow chase the ship movie were the bad guys don’t just speed up and call for reinforcements

How much is there to discuss Vader’s a depresses sucidal robot man whose to busy getting high on the dark side and killing everyone to turn a new leaf until ROTJ

If you engery to discuss TLJ for millionth time, I'm pretty sure you can find something to discuss about Vader.

Do you think he cares? He's an old man with 4 billion dollars in his pocket.
I'm not even sure I could spend 4 billion dollars in my lifetime if I was given it now, and I'm only 20.

The most depressing moment in DV was when he had a vision about the time where he was burning in Mustafar and he yelled at Obi-Wan about how he is a coward and liar because if he loved him, he would have killed me. Like man...

When he emerges from the lava as Vader, then "kills" Anakin and says "I am well acustomed to killing children" I didn't kno whether he was proud, horrified or devastated.

This is all speculation from me but I feel like Obi Wan was sure Anakin would die but at that point he was ironically overcome by emotion and let him to die in horrible pain. Anakin had just helped enable a dictatorial regime under their worst enemy, killed all the Jedi, and almost killed a pregnant Padme. It's obvious why Obi Wan would come to that decision after all that shit.

Can you imagine if Anakin actually went through with his vision it save him decades of depression

Originally, after Obi turns to leave and before the "I hate you", Anakin was supposed to beg Obi to save him. It was cut for obvious reasons, but man that would have been good.

Obi-Wan not killing Anakin was out of selfish love. He just couldn't bring himself to be his killer which end up dooming Anakin and the galaxy.

His franchise is certainly one of the most depressing, after D*sney got their hands on it. I never imagined there would be a time when we'd long for the days of the prequels and look back on them as an ideal, but the Didney Wars garbage has been so awful it's made that a reality.

Disney Wars is non-canon.

Are his arms and legs white here because they’re cut off?

Yep

Is that a serious question?

Honestly the Prequels are still bad, but they are a good example of the difference between a good story done badly and just plain old regular bad. If you put a gun to someones head and have the remake the sequels you only have to go back and edit the script. They didn't even have a plan when they shot the first movie for the next two, and now they did it again, so the sequel trilogy went wrong at the idea stage.

The prequels have a good core, the execution is just clunky or cheesy at times.
The ST is just a bland nothing.

Not really... Obi Wan would’ve executed him for his attack on the Jedi Temple

Yes, why?

>done badly
meme
80% of the time it's told well, people just let the bad be what defines the movies.

Why do you think I'm asking?

The scene where Obi-Wan defeats Anakin was originally slightly longer and included additional dialogue between the two men. After everything what happened between them on Mustafar and after everything Anakin has done Obi-Wan’s first impulse is to reach out to help the man who became his brother and Anakin’s first impulse is to reach out to Obi-Wan for help. Anakin’s cry for help (together with his outstretched hand) is actually left intact in the movie, even though the sound was muted. You can see Hayden Christensen’s lips clearly pronouncing the words.

“Christensen groans to get into character, and then gives an emotional delivery of the two lines, ‘Help me, Master,’ and “’I hate you!’” - The Making of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

The Making of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith by J. W. Rinzler documents the filming of that dialogue and there is actual BTS footage where Obi-Wan refuses to help the fallen Jedi. It’s only then that Anakin’s eyes turn from blue to the Sith red (the 4th gif). This revelation adds a new dimension to the scene and makes it even more heartbreaking.

“I love you but I can’t help you.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

According to the book, after Anakin implores Obi-wan to save him, George Lucas asked Ewan McGregor to say “I will not…” softer, almost to himself because after Anakin bursted into flames it’s as if Obi-Wan was talking to a dead person. That’s why he also suggested, to drive home this point, that McGregor changed the words in the script to the past tense “I loved you”. Ewan agreed, but pointed out that his subsequent line would have to change to “But I could not help you.” Lucas also explained that what Obi-Wan is basically saying to Anakin is “you were my only hope - you blew it. Now we don’t have any hope.”

Not interested enough to find out about why you asked me a question then didnt answer mine back.

>What could you hate enough to destroy me?
>Myself.
Even Hayden Christensen couldn't ruin Vader.

I like both versions honestly. The eye bit sounds cool, but other than that, I like the story and sweet movie version.

Am I the only one who thinks Hayden did a good job?

Like, what did you think young Anakin was going to be like?

Those parts are the key moments though. Like the entire trilogy builds up to Obi Wan vs Anakin. This is the moment where Anakin is already fallen but still doesn't want to view his only friend as his enemy. The moment where Obi Wan has to come to terms that he is going to have to kill his apprentice and masters dream. Great moment, great buildup, great Music.

The line "then from my point of view" kinda dampers the entire thing.

Hayden is more good than bad IMO. People meme on the stiff lines, but there's many moments that I enjoy his performance
>LIAR!

>The line "then from my point of view" kinda dampers the entire thing.
Totally disagree. I've always seen it as Anakin trying to convince himself that he has a reasonable position and when Obi doesn't buy it, Vader had to remove this man who could bring back Anakin if left alive.

>Luke ran away
>But he left a map so we didn't really have to do anything to find him
>you know like maybe rely on the force or something
>maybe finding someone strong in the force who could find luke without the map
>guess the map was easier though
>Where's the map
>This old dude has it
>Why does this old dude have it
>oh he's dead
>wonder if he'll ever come up again
>nope well ok
>oh hey 3po has a red arm
>that's sort of pointless and doesn't really add anything to the film but a bit of color
>oh that describes the whole film
>ok
>why is the black guy a worthless janitor who can't do anything right
>seems minstrelsy
>who is rey
>shes forcey
>oh she's talking down to han solo
>oh han solo ran away from the only woman he ever truly loved
>wonder if theres a good reason for that
>nope
>oh orange yoda
>theres a darth guy
>rey does a thing
>oh its the death star again
>ok
>that was really
>really
>stupid

He was an okish actor, but no one could've made those lines work. He was just badly written.

Oh no, I agree on the purpose of the line is good, he wants to not be the bad guy and at the same time is trying to separate Obi Wan the Jedi vs Obi Wan his friend yada yada, but the nature of the line is pretty bad.

They’ve fumbled and failed to do anything original and good in the first two out of three movies in their flagship trilogy because no one thought getting a bunch of writers to sit down for a minute and plan this whole thing in a decent way would be a good idea

Name three moments over episodes 2 and 3 where their friendship is displayed

I think he makes many of them work.

Hm. Well I thought it was well done. He's trying to appear rational.

Literally every time they are on screen together, except that one time with the high ground.

The entire opening act of RotS.
The contrast with AotC is what sells it for me.
>His fate will be the same as ours.

Thank you very much

Anakins fall would have been infinitely better if they were more overt with how the Jedi had gone to shit compared to their old ideals

E.g. have Qui Gon say the council only cares about midichlorians because it can be measured and quantified, and that ultimately a persons strength in the force is nothing to do with it

Have the Jedi be more morally ambiguous, they’re already leading armies of clones bred for nothing but war, have some of them raise concerns about this only to be shut down by Mace about how it’s “for the greater good” or some shit

Have scenes where the Jedi lie to Anakin because they think it’ll be easier to control him that way (also rhymes with Obi Wan lying to Luke about Vader) then when Anakin finds out, it actually makes the “I see through the lies of the Jedi” line make sense

Honestly, my favourite scene is when Mace goes full authoritarian and is about to execute palpatine, saying “he’s too dangerous to be left alive!”

Anakin was right, that isn’t the Jedi way.

This, and TCW is 6 (7) Seasons of Lucas addressing thar complaint, as well as anakin not being heroic often enough, and doing it well.

youtu.be/Wm593Vhs3bI

Clone Wars is GOAT, was it actually directed by Lucas?

>if they were more overt with how the Jedi had gone to shit
No. It was already very plain to see. As plain as it could be without making the Jedi pretty much antagonists.

RotS felt closer to them being friends, with the opening scene being okay and the one just before Obi Wan goes off to confront Grievous
AotC didn't really have anything, despite the dialogue trying to suggest that they were friendly in any way

RotC has two scenes of them being friendly, AotC has none

Do they segregate the teenage girl and boy padawans?

I’m not sure you can just tell teenagers to not fuck because the force when their hormones are raging

>jedi wield lethal weapons and murder hundreds of mooks and bodyguards with no hesitation or remorse
>killing the bad guy who started the whole mess is "not the jedi way"

???

Otherwise, I agree with you.

>infinitely better
But those are either small changes or things that are already there...

It's very jarring to think TCW Anakin becomes Hayden Anakin in EPIII. They seem like totally different characters.

Not really. Early TCW Anakin, yes. But by the second Clovis arc, he's the petulant and unstable character we know and love.