Should artist just focus on delivering it?

Should artist just focus on delivering it?

I have recently finished my script for my comic and realized that it's going to take at least few years before I'm done(it's a long one). Mostly because I want it to be good and look as detailed as possible.

But I also realized not many people seem to care? people in Sup Forums seem to only talk about art when it's really bad like The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, but people seem to be okay with even bad art if the story is good heck a lot of people recommend DC's Flintstones and the art is bad, It's not exclusive to Sup Forums.
Even in manga:

>Attack on Titan
>Hunter × Hunter
>The Promised Neverland

All mangas that have mediocre/bad art but still beloved and popular.

>ttdlr: good art takes time but is that time really worth it for the artist if we look at it realistically?

>The Promised Neverland
>mediocre/bad art
Fight me.
And it really depends on the writing style. Walls of text don't need art, as if to distract from narration. On the other hand, a lot of silent and/or larger panels require better drawings.

Do you want to do something that sell well or something that's good?
I'd prefer being a great ignored artist than a mediocre popular one.

You don't half ass what you make. It's your heart and soul in your work and if you want it good, you do it the best you can cause you fail yourself.

People expect good art in a comic book but not great writing, thats why a good story and good plotting beats art all the time.

>ask for help
>keep it simple (not calarts simple but simpler than usual)
>release it in parts

There's always a way to make things work. You don't want to have a Thief and the Cobbler on your hands.

Smarter not harder.

promised neverland does not have bad art. Switch that out with One Punch Man, which was quite popular as a webcomic before Murata discovered it.

One's art is great through.

Is this a project that:
>You are meant to learn from
>You are making for money
>You want to be proud of

If it's the last one, then you probably shouldn't half-ass a comic that you consider your baby.

If you plan to do many, many more in the future and you consider this a stepping stone for your TRUE project in the future, then you can simplify things a bit and lower your standards.

>a lot of people recommend DC's Flintstones and the art is bad

I think when I read manga the first thing I use as a guide is the art, it shows the kind of story probably the writer is gonna tell, if it's serious or not, shoujo or seinen so at least you need a style of art fits with what you're writing.

In the american market the art sells and because the style they use is complicated in the details of the body it don't let you to focus in the actions and backgrounds, the environment. Recent examples are interesting: Batman Prince charming (Marini), Sean Murphy (White Knight) and Capullo (Batman). Capullo's art is "3D" while Marini and Murphy tried something different. Marini is the best art in a while, a western style but it has simple bodies and characters, Murphy's art is what people look for in his book and it's basically an adaptation of a Manga style.

Shingeki no Kyojin was a particular story was rejected for publishers in Japan cause the art was bad and it wasn't bad cause the characters were ugly but cause the writer and artist didn't have a sense of perspective but he was lucky cause his manga appeared in the best moment ever when all the biggest mangas had finished. His story was wonderful and strange but he was really lucky and Japan tolerates the art cause they're a special readership appreciate a good plot more than anybody else.

oh and Hunter X Hunter had a big advantage cause the writer was married to the queen of the shoujo at that time, the creator of Sailor Moon so the publishers had to give it a chance hehe

Besides it was simple but the fights were good and followed Dragon Ball's style

Uh. No they let him do whatever the fuck he wanted because he saved a failing jump with yu yu hakusho.

Togashi's actually an exceptionally talented comic artist. He's a great visual storyteller and is able to do a lot with very little. Which is good because for several years now very little is the most he's been able to do.

Anyway you ought not use Sup Forums as your measure of what people care about in a comic. Memes and bitching drown out actual discussion one-hundred fold. Look at what people talk about in shelf threads or the 3x3 favorites threads for a better idea of what people value. Or look someone that's not filled with the stupidest fucking people on the planet.

well did he did yu yu hakusho

was he married when he started HxH

I like the manga it's really good honestly, and while it's not a big issue it does have some glaring flaws. My guess it's because of deadlines

he was married to her before Yu Yu Hakusho I just forgot that story was more about Yu Yu Hakusho and by the way I think she wrote a part of Hunter x Hunter though she didn't get credit obviously but that's other matter, they were great together anyway.

What are you asking? "Should I half-ass my work to fill a deadline?"

Just draw in whatever style you want. If it makes you feel any better, super realism isn't exactly a hot commodity. Most people just want something consistent and not cartoony.

>married to another successful mangaka that helps you out
>have a publisher that supports you even while you are bad with deadlines.
>having a dedicated fanbase that will buy your shit whenever you feel like publishing next chapter

Togashi living the good life

I want to pitch a project but I need an artist and I don't think DC accepts submissions by email.

It's more a question if it's worth the investment of doing something high quality. Not should i draw shit because thats easy. Good consistent art is hard, and if the reader dosen't care is there any reason expect for your own validation to dedicate that much time and investment?

Yes but it didn't matter. HxH is the way it is because the gave him cart blanche for saving jump. His wife didn't factor in at all. She has no pull at jump. It os a completely different genre and the series was never marketed as anything as his own work. You really have no idea what you're talking about here.

heh sorry lack of ideas is the least of my issues.

check /ic/ or make a thread in Sup Forums to get more info on how you can find artist that want to work with a writer

Man, if you say it is not a matter to get your work published when your wife was selling millions of copies you're wrong mate.

Yu Yu Hakusho was one of my favorite mangas/anime when I was a young but the writer indeed had advantages and she gave to H x H a nice touch easy to detect.

No. That's not at all how it works. Jump doesn't care about who you are it. It's very cutthroat and has forced several series made by successful people who started to decline a shitcan. It only gives togashi a pass because he saved them. He worked at jump before he was married and he in the business for years. You seem to want to distort facts.

Don't forget that comics are a narrative medium first and foremost. The art needs to be able to tell the story, and trying to make each page or panel a little artwork in itself takes hella time.

Besides, you don't want every page to be visual fireworks. Pacing is just as important to the visuals as it is to writing. Visually understated pages are just as important as the ones you you really want to pop visually.

I would also add that good art isn't always what you want. Looking at chew it has it's flaws as a style but it's very distinct. There are some good artists that just aren't good for comics. And some mediocre artists that can bring a flair.

Honestly, if you are serious and have a script i would consider hiring a professional to help.

>Marini
>adaptation of manga style
You need to read more bande dessinée,
faggot.
And learn to inform yourself before spouting paragraphs of seizure english, (you) special readership.

you're really an innocent guy

I meant Murphy had an adaptation of manga style faggot. Read Tokyo Ghost, yeah, Ghost instead of Ghoul

How? Nepotism exists certainly but you're fucking retarded. They didn't get together until after yu yu hakusho which is again why he was important. That was the series that saved jump in a bad time for them. HxH was just when he was allowed to play love idol all day.

The art quality is irrelevant desu
Unless you're trash at it, most people won't really care about it past the first few pages

What's important is having a good looking cover and title, something that does grab the attention, then what's inside can be 'half-assed'
It really all depends on what you want to do yourself, we're talking about art here, do you want it to look good? Or do you simply want to tell a story? Or do you want both?

You can draw something that looks amazing for yourself if you want to, but you can't ever know if others will find it just as amazing (or go the other way around)

It really is all up to you to find the balance that you want, whether it's taking 10 years to publish a dozen chapters or a hundred

The artstyle on the other hand, now, that can be really important

I imagine it the other way around "I have a girlfriend" hehhee

still the best of H x H was like that cause she was there

You're wrong. I mean if you want to believe that you can.

It depends on the medium. If you are making a webcomic people have lower expectations of quality. A comic has some expectations of quality. Bad frames happen, no one is perfect but a comic that has bad art can ruin a good story.

Ask yourself is your art shit? is your script shit? cause it could be shit. You're a fan and a reader as well, could it catch your attention? it could be shit. Think about it.

You won't know until you show other people. Art is subjective and personal bias exists.

>Besides, you don't want every page to be visual fireworks.

I get what you are saying but you wouldn't happen to have example?

It was actually advice from my comics-teacher in school, but think of stuff like Sandman Overture. The art is gorgeous, but too many fancy splash-pages can overwhelm the storytelling. A lot of the original Sandman had a bit more breathing space.

And from what I've read of it Cerebus generally tries to find a balance between simpler and extravagant pages.

It depends on what your deadlines are.

If you are on a monthly book, you need to knock out 20-22 pages every month. That means at some point you're going to cut corners, rush a background, something that makes it not as good as it could be. But you're on a deadline so tough shit.

Then again artists and books are late all the time so what do I know.