Give or take a couple of years, Golden, Silver and Bronze Ages went on for about 15 years each...

Give or take a couple of years, Golden, Silver and Bronze Ages went on for about 15 years each. It's also been more than 30 years since the end of Bronze Age. Isn't it time we gave the 1985-1997/9 period its own title? 2000-2015 as well?

Little bit of trivia for those who want to be smug about "it's too early":

>Golden Age ended around 1950
>Golden Age was first identified as such in 1960
>By mid 1980s, the term was widespread enough for DC to publish a hardcover titled Best Golden Age Stories Ever Told

Pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_Man
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Isn't it time we gave the 1985-1997/9 period its own title?

the Best Age

00-10s is the Millennial Age

I mean yeah sure but those decades had a certain spirit, or goalpost to mark themselves.

It's all kind of fuzzy and mishmashy right now.

It's the Moore Age.

you could almost go by his years in comics. Swamp Thing was like 83 and he left ABC in like what 03?

nigga people have been calling 85-99 the Dark Age for years

Modern Age - 85-99
Event Age - 00-12
I know Marvel hasn't got the memo, but DC's quantity of events has significantly dropped off since the New 52.
I almost want to say that 12-now might as well be the Cinematic/Live Action Age based on movies and TV shows. Yes, the MCU started in '08, but The Avengers was the theoretical payoff that defied conventional wisdom.

Dark age and aluminum age

I'd end the post-Bronze pre-current Age at the industy crash. Start the current one (Event Age?) with JLA #1/Marvel Knights/DC's Wildstorm/Image's creator owned efforts growing over superhero stuff

>Isn't it time we gave the 1985-1997/9 period its own title?

It's called the Dark Age. Or it was. I personally call it the Dork Age.

Traditionally, after Bronze comes Iron age, though.

There's not much dark about it except some superhero books featured more scowling and blood

The sales were going up until the implosion
Indie output grew exponentionally
Creators' names grew in importance tenfold

>Modern
Isn't that the default for "these days"?

I'd say around ~96-8 - 06 can be called a Renaissance. Mainly in the more literal meaning of the word since there was a definite undercurrent of 'going back to basics' and seeing what worked in older material while iterating on them with moderns sensibilities. Moore's Supreme, Planetary, The Ultimate Universe, Invincible, etc all fit the mold.

06 is when I think things shift with the release of Civil War and 52, whereupon we enter the 'Event Age'. Of course events where definitely a thing before then, but with the success of these two works it really kicks into gear with big, universe changing events every year. Nowadays we're still in it, with shit like Marvel relaunching every year, DC running two 'everything you know is wrong!' events at the ame time, and a plethora of 'event characters' (Miles Morales is so important!).

However the two do overlap each other, with shit like Identity Crisis (the exemplar for shitty event comics) came out in 04 while All Star Superman (one big love letter to the characters history) released form 05 to 08. But thats a wider issue with the age system in general, since mediums almost never have a solid point where everything changes, rather attitudes and approaches shift over time.

I cant help but think all the shit that era gets is unfair. Sure there was a lot of garbage, but there was also a bunch of great stuff coming out like Hellblazer, Hellboy, Hitman, etc which really made good use of the darker tone comics at the time went with.

m8 it doesn't have to make sense, that's just what it's called

Golden Age is 7 years.

Silver Age is about twice that.

Bronze Age is a decade or less.

Your entire post is completely baseless.

>06 is when I think things shift with the release of Civil War and 52
04 - Avengers dissasemble and DC goes through the Identity Crisis

You guys don't seem to get how the terminology works. "Ages" refers to periods of peak success and subsequent decline and ultimate disappearing from the mainstream. There are only 3 "Ages" ever for anything: Golden, Silver, and Bronze. You can't have more than that. That's just not how the terminology works.

>1938 to 1950 is 7 years
whooooooooooooa
>1960 to 1976 is 14 years
whooooooooooooooooa

>I personally call it the Dork Age

that's because you have literal autism

don't try and be pedantic about shit you know nothing about

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_Man

Golden Age ends with the end of WWII and the near total collapse of the superhero genre around the same time.

Silver Age starts with the debut of Barry Allen in 1956 and stretches no later than about circa-1970.

Bronze Age starts at the same time that the Silver Age ends and goes until about the collapse of DC at the end of the decade.

You're just memeing if you say otherwise.

>Isn't that the default for "these days"?
I've seen it used in intellectual contexts as a title given to a flag plant style that significantly departed from what is referred to as "Classical" up until that point.
Within this context, say what you will about the creation of Sci-Fi/Legacy in Silver, empathetic/flawed characters of the Bronze, but the pursuit was always to create heroic characters you could look up to. I would wager whether you call it the Moore Age, Modern Age, or arguably Deconstruction Age, the application of deconstruction to subvert everything that came before it and present characters that are not simply flawed, but really unheroic in many cases, and downright fucked up in others, it marked a stylistic divergence from what came before it, that frankly nothing else (other than creator owned) has come along has come close to being as impactful as, at least IMO.

no, that's... not how shit works

we're not talking about economics, dumbass

Yeah, you can definitely make the case for it starting earlier. I just chose 06 because both CW and 52 were massive successes which solidified that approach. It's almost impossible to find a point everyone can agree on for the whole age thing, and most discussions will turn to people arguing over the whens.

>Mid-to-late 80s
Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Maus, DKR are all the rage. Burton's Batman, X-Men #1, early Image. Culminates in industry crash.

>Late 90s to early 00s
Sales rising back with new JLA, Batman, Superman teams, later the Jemas tenture at Marvel. X-Men movies, Spider-Man movies. Culminates in comics being an afterthought behind movies and controversy clickbait fuel today

I'd say it fits

Yes we are talking about comics, and you are attempting to imply that there is some unwritten rule somewhere that states you must name comic book history ages over your own autistic conventions.
There is no such rule, for anything. And user just provided one example.

Now stop sperging.

there is no system where "Ages" are measured only in Golden, Silver, and Bronze.

the terminology itself comes from Greek mythology, which has five ages. Archaeology has three ages, but that's Stone, Bronze, and Iron.

Modern age ended back in 2011. We're currently in the tumblr age.

>Nothing else has come close to being as impactful
We're living in the nerd age where we nostalgia-ise about the silver age and scream how bad the 90s were and bring back silver age archetypes and literal silver age heroes with GL rebirth and Flash rebirth.

The Golden Age ended in 1953 with the CCA

>90s

The Dark and Edgy age.
AKA the best age

IIRC my mythology class correctly, those ages are usually followed by the "heroic age", which is something I'm sure comics have used before themselves.

think Marvel used it for their post-Siege relaunch

>naming an entire era after big 2 shoddy business practices
Nah.

Modern Age refers to the current age. Full stop.

>1985-1997/9
Mature Adult Comics Age
>2000-2018
Man-Child Comics Age