What are the most ok movies of the MCU? Movies that aren't terrible, and you might have even enjoyed a little...

What are the most ok movies of the MCU? Movies that aren't terrible, and you might have even enjoyed a little, but left almost no impression on you after leaving the theater.

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i've come to bargain

Most of them except Iron Man 1, Ant-Man and Winter Soldier

Ant Man, although Paul Rudd is hilarious
Thor 2
Iron Man 2

Ant-Man is preretty much the most generic and mediocre/okay-ish movie in the entire MCU. 100% predictable and safe.

They're all pretty much the same.
Then again I haven't "left the theater" since Ant-man.
I'm over the hype so I don't really see the reason to run out to a theater in the first place.

I haven't bothered watching Strange but I thought he was pretty cool in Ragnarok. Should I or was he completely different like most characters in Ragnarok?

Antman, First Avenger, Thor 1.

I'd say everything else is either overall great to good or bad to atrocious.

Doctor Strange, Thor 2, Homecoming, Ant Man.

This. It's such a mind number.
The sad thing that Dr. Strange would've been 10/10 if they just stopped shoving in quips and jokes every 5 minutes. I'm not saying you can't be funny, but have some respect for the premise.

Doctor strange wasn't bad. Had some cool visual effects and a fun final battle. I'd say it worth watching once.

Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Iron Man 3, and Homecoming.
Homecoming rises slightly above by having Michael Keaton.

Homecoming is shit

Dormammu, I’ve come to bargain!

sorry had too. the way Strange dealt with final fight was unique and cool tho

Homecoming and Thor 2 are the only Marvel films I would call bad

Dr. Strange was good, imo, but not particularly memorable unless you like trippy effects. Like most Marvel movies, it's a perfectly cromulent way to spend two hours.

Ant-Man is the most Mid-Tier of all the Marvel movies. It's not bad, you'll probably enjoy watching it enough to make it to the end. But it's not a movie I want to watch again the way I'm always down to see Winter Soldier whenever it's on.

Like 95% of Marvel movies are just OK

What is the general consensus about the worst MCU movies? I see Thor Dark World and Iron Man 2 get brought up a lot. Are they really that bad?

Iron Man 2 is great

These and while not the movie itself Hulk as a character in the solo movie

its very hit and miss desu

on one hand
>only three iron man action scenes total
>blahblahblah government wants robot
>cuts midway to advertise thor and based Coulson
>dude howard stark is walt disney lmao

on the other
>act three is basically all action despite all the waiting
>natasha and happy’s kung fu adventure is half of it
>the other half is tony and rhodey playing CoD Co-op at their most bro-tier
>mai burd man was actually cool fuck you

Antaman

Hot take: Cap 1

Age of Ultron is honestly the most mediocre mcu movie

Iron Man 3.

Age of Ultron is too busy being bad to be mediocre and forgettable.

Nope

Age of Ultron is not the best MCU movie but it's far from bad. Its pretty much watchable throughout the entire thing (and it's pretty long so that's impressive) and some scenes like the party at Avengers tower and the Hulkbuster fight are actually really good. The main problem the movie has is Ultron himself who has a shit design and never really seems like a threat. Still it's a masterpiece compared to some of the genuinely bad superhero movies like Batman V Superman or the Fantastic Four reboot.

Dude, I'd rather watch BvS three times in a row than watch Age of Ultron once. At least BvS takes itself with a modicum of seriousness.

It takes itself so seriously that it becomes more of a comedy than any Marvel movie. How can you not burst out laughing at MARTHA

Because that moment is great you brainlet

I liked that moment. I dunno why. I thought it was an interesting way to connect the two characters. I infinitely prefer Superman clunkily forcing his mom's name into the conversation (and it was clunky as fuck, I get that) and Batman screaming WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME" to Quicksilver quipping at Hawkeye while his lungs fill up with blood.

Ultron undercut itself too much and did so at key moments. Like it was afraid to let its material stand on its own because people might think it's stupid if it doesn't make itself appear that it's in on the joke. That quality pisses me off about Marvel movies more than any other.

This desu.

>I infinitely prefer Superman clunkily forcing his mom's name into the conversation (and it was clunky as fuck, I get that) and Batman screaming WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME" to Quicksilver quipping at Hawkeye while his lungs fill up with blood.
This. Quipsilver's dying breath was a Whedon comment.

>The sad thing that Dr. Strange would've been 10/10 if they just stopped shoving in quips and jokes every 5 minutes
What makes it weirder is that Bandersnatch's delivery makes them feel awkward. He plays the role with the same gravelly seriousness he plays all of his roles so when the script calls for him to be witty and flippant it just falls flat.

It was a cute idea but the execution was fucking awful. Sorry but we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Batman V Superman genuinely made me angry at how awful it was when I was watching it in the theatre. It's not that the themes went over my head or anything like that (I watch David Lynch films for fun) it's just that i strongly disagreed with Snyders interpretation of the characters. Not because they were "too dark" but just because they were so cringeworthy. Honestly if you enjoyed it I envy you because I've watched both the theatrical cut and extended cut trying to like it and it just wasn't happening.

Meanwhile I went to the midnight opening of Age of Ultron and had a blast. It was a really fun ride even if it wasn't a particularly clever or emotional one. Also I personally liked Quicksilvers dying line to Hawkeye. It was a call back to their earlier banter and seemed like Quicksilver was genuinely showing his respect for Hawkeye by saving him and saying "you misjudged me" without actually saying it.

>I watch David Lynch films for fun

BvS and AoU were terrible for different reasons. AoU for taking a previously dark character who has had notably grim storylines associated with him and strip out any urgency or weight they had with jokes. BvS similarly misrepresented it's title characters as well as several others, along with weighing down itself with horrible worldbuilding and universe set-up and trying to make up for it's flaws with references to comics like TDKR and the Death of Superman without getting any of the context behind those stories right.

Wasn't trying to show off or anything. Just trying to avoid the typical "you didn't like Batman V Superman because you didn't understand it" argument.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I didn't like every part of BvS but on the whole I liked what it did with the characters, but it was just so hard for me to get into Age of Ultron to the point where I was genuinely annoyed when I thought about the movie afterwards. I was unsurprised to find out Whedon and the studio had been clashing constantly, but even then all of the quippy stuff was pure Whedon and that's the stuff that really annoyed me.

Having said that, I can see the your interpretation of his death. It doesn't work for me, but that's a valid way of looking at it.

Yeah the main problem with the movie was definetly Ultron himself. His design was generic and ugly and he never really seemed like a threat either physically or mentally. His drones get torn apart easily and even his final vibranium form doesn't do much. Plus him being based of Tony Stark basically turned him into a quip machine. I wish they had released Ant-Man first and had Ultron be based off Pym. Especially since the MCU Pym hates Stark so much. Ant-Man came out like a month after Age of Ultron so they could have easily swapped the release dates round.

I'd rather the in on the joke approach than changing things wildly to pretend that there's nothing to joke about to begin with.
Neither of the approaches truly embrace comic corniness, but at least one isn't trying to shamefully hide it under the rug under the guise of realism.

But yeah even as someone who likes AoU in general the QS death was some stupid shit, not really because it had a quip, but because as says it was Whedon going "[see what I did there with killing QS instead of Hawkeye?] Didn't see that coming".

I got angry at MoS, BvS was just funny to me.

>BvS was just funny to me.
elaborate

The most notable clash was Whedon insisting on keeping the Hawkeye house scene and how long it was. And it's a good scene.

Blame Edgar Wright.

The Bruce/ScarJo shit was lame. Betty exists in the MCU.

Yeah apparently the studio basically said he either had to cut some scenes of Thor learning about the Infinity Stones or cut the farm. He chose to keep the farm and cut some Thor scenes. That's why there are clips of Thor in the trailers that aren't in the actual movie.

My personal take on BvS vs AoU is that while Lex was played like a spastic fuckboy in BvS, during the scene in the study I could easily see Lex killing the senator right there while at no point did I think the Korean doctor was in danger when she was captured by Ultron.

Holly Hunter's character was one of the highlights of BvS and it pains me she nor her role within the film is ever discussed seriously.

Okay, so why the fuck doesn't the studio want scenes setting up Avengers 3 in Avengers 2?

other way around for me. MoS was fun and dumb, I watched it drunk and had a blast. Figured BvS would be similar, but halfway through I found myself wanting my wasted time back. The thing is like three hours long but it feels like five.

It was basically just because of pacing. The Farm and Thor scenes both happen around the same point in the film and were originally pretty lengthy. They were worried that it was too long a break from the action scenes and that people would get bored.

Woops, sorry for linking you in that previous post.
I think it's mainly funny to me because it tries super hard to be taken seriously mixed with (often unintentional) corny moments. It feels like that kid who thinks everyone is scared of him because he dresses like a school shooter, except everyone sees through that and treats him like the autistic novelty he is.
I generally have issues with Goyer's dialogue and how it's very often pseudointellectual ramblings, but when it's delivered by Eisenberg's twitchy weirdo Lex it just veers off into hilarious.

And then you have things like a movie that wants to be a serious character examination ending with the weightless Clash of the Titans tier Doomsday battle, and how poorly filmed was Clark's death scene which looked like something out of a bad amateur film.
Overall it feels tone deaf, it downplays aspects deemed too corny, but adds its own brand of corniness and play that straighter than a highway, like it doesn't understand at all what makes a human laugh or cry.

That being said there were also moments I enjoyed genuinely, more than MoS. Maybe I was really cheery when I watched it, I dunno.

That was the worse part of the scene, but it's like 10% of it.

>Eisenberg's twitchy weirdo Lex
I liked his performance so we are not on the same page.
He's literally comic Luthor with one difference- he can't hide his autism. The pathology (I know that's the wrong word but i'm having a brain fart) is the same.

Same actually. If you expected something great out of BvS after how fuck awful MoS was, you're a retard.

I couldn't see Lex through the Goyerisms, I had the same issue with his Joker though so I'm clearly not the universal voice on that.

>thread about subpar Marvel films
>For some reason the conversation shifted to DC
You people are doing this on purpose

I found Hunter really charismatic in the movie. I really wanted to see her and Superman actually talk to each other. Bummed me out that she got taken out the way she did.

>how fuck awful MoS was
More than 50 percent of critics liked it.

Doing what exactly? We've talked about Marvel movies, nobody prevents you from talking about them more. It's mostly civil too.

Don't act like you're not doing anything wrong, this is a derail and this happens in every thread that talks about Marvel's shortcomings. Some jackass decides to shift the focus onto DCEU for whatever fucking reason, usually shitposting and the initial topic just gets buried under a bunch of company wars shit.

Is it difficult to stay on topic? Does it distress you?

This kind of pins what I missed about the Iron Man films. They weren’t really bogged down with the superhero genre bullshit; they were just really good action movies. The elder god-tier bromanship at work in Iron Man 2 is honestly worth the price of admission alone. I wish more films cared less about being powerful important messages and more about wild power fantasies.

Doctor Strange felt like a waste of money for me

Ant-Man
Thor 1

Really most of them. Thor 2 was bad but I thought Age of Ultron was fucking garbage. I felt burnt out by the MCU then and now really have a mild interest.

>Like it was afraid to let its material stand on its own because people might think it's stupid if it doesn't make itself appear that it's in on the joke.

I've been finding this recently with the MCU movies and it's really put me off them.

Fuck off, we're talking about flaws in movies from both companies, not everyone is obsessed with company bullshit like you.

No you fuck off. The OP says MCU you monkey, why involve the other guys? You got 14 movies to talk about already.

All three Thor movies plus GOTG 1.

it's weird since it even happens on the Netflix shows too. I get they are supposed to be serious, but damn they seem fucking ashamed of the source material.

The only ones I like are Winter Soldier, GotG, Dr.Strange because I really enjoy the fight scenes, and Spider-Man:Homecoming. Beside those most marvel movies are average or just above.

Ultron wasn't horrible imo but a big ass dissapointment. Blame whedon, even with that evil committee you got WS and the first guardians. And people thought JL would be a nice mix of fun and serious. Dunno what happened with the guy, since Ultron he looks JUST as fuck.
>jellybean
>Jar of piss
>Lex speech about zeus
>WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME
Like other anons say some interesting ideas here and there but the delivery was awful. BvS is one of these cases:
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanar

And we are discussing those movies you giant faggot. Jesus if you think this is off topic you haven't been around for very long.

Why was Avengers so good while Age of Ultron so shitty?

Ultron was a shitty villain, nobody but waifufags cared about Psycho Manti- Witch and Aryan Flash's death was hilariously out of place. Lots of unimportant shit happening while at the same time numerous plot points are being shoved into your ass. The result is a tasteless dumb cgi final battle that has little to no weight and the villain's best scene, which is its DEATH.
I also found Black Panther okay. Entertaining, but overall just okay. I left the theatres dissatisfied and watched Coco next, which was a refreshing experience.

I personally prefer AoU because I think its highs are higher, but Av1 is just tighter paced, more coherent narratively and more even qualitatively.

I unironically like every single MCU movie [except IM 3, which I still find watchable].

Why did he stop using the yellow gloves in infinity war?

>Movies that aren't terrible, and you might have even enjoyed a little, but left almost no impression on you after leaving the theater.
All of them.