I wanna get into Green Lantern comics. What should I read?

I wanna get into Green Lantern comics. What should I read?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/green-lantern-reading-order/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Green Lantern comics.

Not Johns.

best art: willworld

best standalone story: sinestro corp war

Green Lantern Rebirth and then start on Johns' run. At some point you'll need to get Green Lantern Corps Recharge and then you read that ongoing.

You'll have ten solid years of comics. It's not always the best but the overall quality is up there.

Oh my fucking god. Willworld had the best art. RIP Seth Fisher.

>Muh hating Johns meme
Fuck off

Thanks, I’ll look into it

Don't do that, that's the way of the casual dumbass like this guy
You wouldnt enjoy green lantern if you start by johns. The 80s and 90s comics are where you should start. then you can read johns

no, not fucking, what less new readers want is to read histories of 30 years ago with autistic exposition. Johns did everything he could to make the GL stories for the new readers

>Johns did everything he could to make the GL stories for the new readers

And that's why it's a terrible recomendation, the people that got into comics with johns enjd up being eternal brainlets

Moore, go to sleep, nobody wants you to go back and make fish rape people.

What a surprise, a johnsfag that needs to talk about moore.

I grew up on Ron Marz's run, where Kyle Rayner got his start, and have always been a fan of the character. He also gets plenty of great material in Morrison's JLA.

As for the other Lanterns, pretty much any material by O'Neil (like Green Lantern/Green Arrow) and Moore is fantastic. Johns' run is pretty good too, despite what some autists will tell you, but it definitely drags towards the end and I was a bigger fan of some things that came out of it, like Tomasi and Gleason's run on GL Corps.

Johns turned the series form "space cops fighting space crime" to "conflicts between gimmick light ring armies"

He also ruined the Guardians

Forgot to mention that if you want some fun, more digestible adventures, the Silver Age stuff has been reprinted recently. It's a good bang for you buck.

Mr. Moore, I'm sorry, but you can not do that with the fish, they're helpless

Start with Johns, and catch up to today, whenever that is when you get there.
Then work your way back and forth when you start asking questions. Like "Why was Hal dead at the start of GL Rebirth? The answer starts at Emerald Twilight, which his it's roots in The Death and Return of Superman.

I used pic to read through John's GL run. Once I reached New 52 and more recent, I started using this site.

comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/green-lantern-reading-order/

This would be my recommendation, too, it's actually how I got into Green Lantern myself- I saw all the rave reviews The Blackest Night was getting and decided I wanted to read it, so I started from GL Rebirth and went forward from there with only a limited understanding of the Corps' prior history. After that, curiosity drove me to work backwards and read some classic runs to see where it all started.

It's given me an appreciation for the Green Lantern character and mythology overall- both the classic era, and the Johns era. For the life of me, I'll never understand why people on Sup Forums wig the fuck out when someone suggests getting into GL with Johns' work, it's easily the most accessible GL there is, and if you like it, it's only gonna lead to you wanting to read more GL stuff. More fans is good, right?

>liking Johns meme
Fuck off
Marz is the best Green Lantern writer

Johns run created a wave of casuals that only like shit that is similat to johns and only recomend johns shit. That's the issue, Johns run makes stuff like final night shitty as there's no real redemption, hal isnt a fallen hero if you start with johns run, he is just the poor innocent victim of a space bug.
That and this

On it's own johns run is a good run, but also will poison too many casual readers that will not enjoy kyle's era, mosaic or even guy's era as much. O'neil is the best starting point.

I got in through King's Omega Men.

>Johns run makes stuff like final night shitty as there's no real redemption, hal isnt a fallen hero if you start with johns run, he is just the poor innocent victim of a space bug.
That's the joke, hal was a redeemed hero in final night, what Johnson did not take away everything that happened in that comic in particular, apart from never being mentioned again, that's the capeshit joke, what a writer does , it is very much what another does, it's like with John Bryne's superman at Azzarello.

I generally don't like Johns stuff (or rather, have come to retroactively realize most of his writting is hokey) but honestly, Johns made non-Kirby cosmic/space storylines worth a shit. The emotional spectrum was genius for DC lore.

There are some select GL that is good (Mosaic, early Kyle Rayner stuff) but Johns' run is pure kino.

Look up Hal and Kyle's reading material. Read everything that's not that.

Willworld is the only good Green Lantern comic ever

Fell off a balcony.
To this day I stay away from balconies

Read the Silver Age collected trades.
Read Green Lantern Corps

That should be it if you don’t want to hate the character or the idea of what Green Lantern is

>The 80s and 90s comics
the runs that sold like shit and ultimately lead to Hal being replaced?

I forgot only the best selling comics are the good ones.

>Carol is great user!

Geoff Johns' run in order. Ignore everything else.

Read all of it

This is pretty much what you need to read to understand almost all of modern Green Lantern. Once you hit New 52, just pick up and read from there.

>get ring that you can basically do anything with
>make giant green fists and green weapons

GLs are retarded

are these all included in john's omnibuses? or would i have to pick up extra trades?

This right here is a classic Johns hater. They're Kylefags that are forever bitter their GL was replaced by the greatest lantern (not including Sinestro).

Marz's stuff with Kyle is great but you really do need to just read the Johns stuff at some point. If you really want to start way back, just jump at Emerald Twilight. That shows the downfall of Hal and the rise of Kyle. Then you can read Kyle's stuff and then hop onto the Johns train.

It's crazy that some fans can't let others enjoy other characters.