ITT: Proof that animation is still moving forward

Too much negativity surrounding an art form, post things that proves animation is still worth a damn.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5LEdjWYyfRc
youtube.com/watch?v=7IIXf-Hn_Ok
youtube.com/watch?v=oN1zxp9Ff90
mega.nz/#F!5OATzZ5a!9U7nzCnCDeMwiPlRprfoqg!1CJQWSyJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Your post and a handful of Pixar movies that weren't prequels / sequels / midequels / raped by exec meddling are literally the only things that belong ITT.

Japan

I miss it still

>ignoring the greatest milestone in animation since Toy Story in 1995
>ignoring everything that's been coming out of France since 2010
>ignoring the rare independent American film like Anomalisa

>over the garden wall came out 4 years ago
>nothing since has reached it's level of music and theme direction
I just want more high quality tv animation

Too bad this encouraged degenerate race mixing and is thus forever tainted by SJWs

The Chinese animation scene in general. Never have I seen an industry go from nearly nothing to absolutely bursting with fresh faced enthusiastic talent in under a decade.

>Posts an example from a time where CN wasn't beyond repair
Moving forward to the trash.

Now let’s be fucking clear here, Steven Universe is a bad cartoon. But there are clear moments (almost exclusively in S1 and S2) where the show takes on the sort of creative aspirations that almost none of its copycats, inspirations, or otherwise peers in the 2010s have ever really bothered to attempt. Moments where the show almost masters the unique style that distinguishes it from any other cartoon made in the past 20-30 years, even despite its bazillion anime references.

Somewhere, buried under all the politics and bad art and shit pacing and lazy writing is a genuine creative spark, and if even SU, which seems to epitomize everything there is to hate about modern cartoons, can have something so unequivocally good in it, there’s still hope yet for animation.

The thread is about animation, not cartoon Network.

>ignoring Rango

Op here, I was going to post Rango too but It was released 7 years ago, if animation hasn't moved forward in 7 years I would say we were stuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=5LEdjWYyfRc

There is no forward or backward. For example, OTGW was masterful storytelling with great world building and characters, but the art of the character design was not very good. Everything is differences in style and substance.

I really fucking loved OTGW though, watch it every fall since it came out.

The secret of Kells gave me hope, I was watching it and realized that flash animation could do things better than other mediums and that was encouraging.

people really underestimate flash sometimes
youtube.com/watch?v=7IIXf-Hn_Ok

youtube.com/watch?v=oN1zxp9Ff90

>The Chinese animation scene in general.

Not a single good piece of animation has come out of China.

Food Chain was fucking incredible even if you hate AT I'd highly recommend it.

>Too bad this encouraged degenerate race mixing

You mean because Wirt feels attracted to a bird?

>and is thus forever tainted by SJWs

Reminder: Sara just was added to the story because Beatrice couldn't be dark skinned.

We aren't talking about design in this thread. It's about the animation how a method to express art and feelings.

>posts overrated shit
What did he mean by this?

Over the Garden Wall is honstly the only thing to come out of 2010s Cartoon Network that I consider "good." I mean, Adventure Time or Steven Universe can be called "unique" or "innovative" but they're very much bound to a particular style and time that's already started going out of vogue. I know people call OTGW "pretentious" but I think it wasn't concerned with its style or really any awareness of its audience--it felt like a project that created its own world and put out for others to enjoy with no precedents.

Steven Universe, at times (times as in earlier in the show's run) does have an incredibly unique style that is in line with the 2010s movement though relatively unique and personal. It's a shame that really good instances of this style are few and far between, and semi-concurrent with tumblr "~~~aesthetic~~~ uwu" cancer.

Steven Universe is very much proportionally good to how well you can separate it from memes and audience mindfulness, which is difficult because of how many frivolous anime references, townie episodes and creator/fanbase dramas there are.

>using the term overrated without providing context or better content
I miss when the word "overrated" was followed up by someone making an argument or suggesting something better and it not being a Synonym for "thing I don't like that's popular"

Lastman is a good example

mega.nz/#F!5OATzZ5a!9U7nzCnCDeMwiPlRprfoqg!1CJQWSyJ

THIS

Honestly this kind of behavior has made me hate that stupid term.

Yeah I like how OTGW showed us a really uncommon world, we often see things like medieval worlds, aliens, and fairy tales, but the kind of tales that OTGW uses and the atmosphere and historical moment is really weird to see in the cartoons or other media. In fact I have grow attach to these kind of tales since they have some kind of charm.

You know I don't know what is exactly "pretentious" for internet people.

This would be fpbp if not for the fact that any pixar movie that fit that category was made prolly 7 years ago

Are you a retard? Like seriously?

Check out Song of the Sea if you haven't already.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdCabgJQpbA

You're acting like the show is brand new. Or like OTGW is the topic of the thread.

It wastes its already short runtime on less than interesting side stories. The many zany aspects of the show work against the gloomy setting of the overarching story. It had poor design choices like the red, geometrical noses. The ending is a very unsatisfying conclusion/explanation of the predicament the characters found themselves in.

Not only does it easily break the expectations of a "Disney movie tie-in series", but each episode surprisingly exceptional and the overall story follows through. On top of that the second season shows significant promise with the setup.

Steven Universe is a perfect example of what happens when a studio has too much influence over a show. The show's first 52 episodes (what's now classified as season one) ended in March of 2015 and aired over 16 months. That's a little over three episodes a month. Not great, considering the show has half the running time of most cartoons, but still, you're averaging just under an episode a week, that's respectable, and if that pace had been maintained, the 'Lars of the Stars' arc and the reveal of Pink Diamond would have been sometime early last Spring.

Instead we got hiatus after hiatus, bomb after bomb, and this retarded marketing strategy has basically killed the show. All of the show's major problems stem from this shitty air schedule - the pacing is ruined, hype-building is almost impossible, filler and townie episodes become massive and frustrating disappointments instead of a refreshing break from a few weeks of intense plot-heavy episodes, and too much dead time between episodes has caused the worst aspects of the fandom to fester.

I thought this was really good, but I watched it drunk and I love pretty much any sappy movie if I'm drunk so I'll have to watch it again sober to see if it was as good as I remember.

>cancelled cartoon
You're not proving the OP right.