Astro Boy Storytime #1

In anticipation for the French reboot, I'm going to storytime some of of the best Astro Boy stories on a weekly basis. This week: The Birth of Astro, the Plant People, and the Hot Dog Corps! So sit back, relax, and feel free to discuss retro anime here.

youtube.com/watch?v=h4SmuiiwCV0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DpVHnjUqb80
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I support this, but I worry the mods won't.

NICE!!!
Hope that mods don't delete this.

I've dumped a few stories before with no problems. But yeah, hopefully the mods are merciful, Sup Forums isn't too fond of Tezuka stuff.

If you do get deleted I'll just say I think weekday mods are more forgiving, maybe.

Bump
most of Sup Forums doesn't care about pre-Evangelion stuff, and Astro Boy predates the Western usage of the term anime,If I'm correct it was just a Japanese cartoon back when it was first released this side of the pond,

This is left to right or right to left?

You are right about it being a sort of a Japanese cartoon. Anime wasn't really a thing until much later, when shows and manga started straying away from Tezuka's established style. So retro anime is sort of stuck in this weird place altogether.

Left to right, Tezuka comics were flipped when they were originally translated. So treat these as you would a normal comic.

I didn't know that Japanese Trucks were the leading cause of deaths in old manga. Are People in Japan really that terrible at driving?

Oh you have no idea. It's the leading cause of death in anime even to this day. For some reason Japan loves this trope for drama and isekai stories.

Alright guys, now it's time to strap in, because this arc is LONG.

Hot Dog Corps is GOAT

Agreed

>Sup Forums isn't too fond of Tezuka stuff.

Sup Forums having shit taste, surprise surprise.

It's weird how the Atom trades front load a lot of the really good but usually not referenced stories, especially since other Tezuka collections either go for rough chronology or exact release order. Guess they wouldn't fit together or sell terribly well otherwise.

>mfw I donated 200 bucks to a crowdfund campaign to translate and publish a bunch of Tezuka manga but the company just went bankrupt

Feels bad man. I don't read any ongoing manga, I just want my oldschool fix. But it's becoming increasingly risky for publishers to venture into that area, and now even crowdfunding isn't working.

They tend towards tv, not comics, to begin with. And good scans and translations of 50s-80s manga is much more scarce than the 90s onward.

Did they even manage to get most of what they promised out? It sounds like mismanagement more than a lack of sustainability.

Wow, that sucks. I would've love to see more of his stuff translated.

Nothing out of the recent Wonder 3 campaign has been sent out. They were waiting til all 8 or so omnibuses were printed and ready to go before mailing, and last update we got was back in October.

DMP are known for taking forever to deliver, sure people only just recently got their books from the previous Tezuka campaign.

Yeah and DMP are the last publisher to do anything with his books since Vertical dropped him. Not sure who else could follow

Maybe Dark Horse can pick up where they left off? They did publish the Astro Boy Omnibus' after all.

So this was the inspiration for Dr Roosevelt in Pluto?

Think they retell this story later on, only Tobio's mom is involved. And it's even MORE heartbreaking.

Huh, never even realized that. You might be right.

OP is king!
Thanks for storytiming this!

youtube.com/watch?v=DpVHnjUqb80

Wait so Tezuka invented the "Start the story with somebody getting run over by a truck" trope?

Yep, time travel arc. They actually go out of their way to flesh out Astro's original parents, it's one of my favorite arcs.

Doubt it, if they'd any interest in pushing Tezuka again they would've done it when the omnis were coming out. They already had the material for those so it was an easy project

He was definitely the one that made it popular to an almost memetic degree.

meant to reply to

japanimation, when i was a kid.

Dr Tenma is one of my favorite villians of all time, one cool thing about cultural diversity done right is that stories don´t need to have the same cliches that american stories do.
If this was a western comic Tenma would have failed or Astro would have come "wrong" in some way to show that scientist shouldn´t play god.
But here is jus the begging of the story, sure Tenma didn´t really revive his son that is why he got rid of Astro in the first place but at least he manage to make an artificial human without something horrible happening.

You have a point there. I can definitely see a western version having a tragic bent to the whole origin, much more than it already is.

bump

Why do these vary in size so much?

Might've messed up downloading these, I apologize.

Unless you downloaded these one page at a time, that likely isn't it.

>Unless you downloaded these one page at a time

Yeah, about that...

So is an army of Dog Robot Men. I know is tragic that they killed all those dogs but both the name of the story and the idea of robots acting like dogs makes me find all of this really hilarious.

Learned, or was modified?