Should a new generation of heroes eventually replace the older generation in the main continuity of each respective...

Should a new generation of heroes eventually replace the older generation in the main continuity of each respective franchise?

It would definitely be a good way to keep things fresh. That said, you'd need to get readers to accept the new characters, and THAT will never happen. Comic book readers are to fucking stubborn to accept anything new or any kind of real change.

I dunno. Dickbats and BuckyCap were acceptable replacements. I wouldn't have minded that have been the new status quo. And both replacement batgirls are infinitely more interesting than Barbara. Especially Steph.

I loved Steph. What a fun book. Shame New52 had to fuck everything up.

She is such a charmer.

Yes, but it has to be thoroughly planned.
New heroes mean the older heroes got... well.... old. It might work on said hero book but might bring issues in the shared universe.
But fucking yes I would love to see each long running hero to be slowly replaced by a new generation full of new stories to be told, instead of just retconing older heroes so they apart to modern times.

>Yes, but it has to be thoroughly planned.
Ya, seriously. It feels like Marvel was trying to do it, but they're really half-assing it. They create bland new characters despite decades of supporting characters they could have chosen instead, then they pussy out and bring back the old characters they had just replaced.

It really felt like no one in leadership knew what the fuck they were doing and ruined the whole attempt. If they had someone up above who planned it out years in advance, had a deep understanding of the franchise, and had the vision to see it through, it could have been great.

Easier said than done, even OP works only because they're AUs allowed to make definitive breaks and only because their failure would cost the companies nothing.

If somebody did it it would be like a groundbreaking shit for comic books. DC and Marvel will never do it, but if you started your own comics universe, and 10 years down the line you've got other artists coming in, bringing their new characters, while the older heroes retire or die, I think that would be really breaking new ground for the superhero comic genre, which shamelessly brings back men from World War II or earlier and depicts them in their 30's

Problem is and the easiest example is what befell the Batgirls is that someone will always be fond of the one they loved the most.

So, when they get in power that character will be restored to that identity whether we like it or not. Then take personality traits of the superior model to be more assessable.

Then there's the other side where the legacy character came from a time period where the person in chief HATES and will do everything in their power to ignore the hell out of that character and shove someone else down our throats. Poor Mayday....

Yes. But it will never happen because fanboys love their old guys too much. Batman should be like Castlvania, every generation there will be a Batman.

Bruce= Leon
Dick=Simon
Jason=Trevor
Tim=Juste
Cass=Shanoa
Damian=Richter
Terry=Johnathon
Next in line after=Julius

But DC and Marvel has too many sticks up their asses to do this.

Sliding timescale means characters like Batman or Superman will forever remain young and in continuity. That said, there's nothing wrong with having titles with legacy characters set in the future.

Sliding timescale a shit. Not attacking you user, just saying.

I love CV but most of those are interchangable

Yes. Old characters need to be given endings, no matter how popular, because otherwise they are not a STORY. They are just... a billboard for themselves. Forever.

If you don't move on, but just keep sliding the timescale, you make reboots to keep the continuity straight a mandatory thing. And rebooting the universe to fix your mistakes every few years is just awful showmanship. Its the sort of thing that makes people not take comics at all seriously as a medium anymore: nothing matters because no one stays dead, and even if they did stay dead they will just be brought back to life when the universe rolls back to checkpoint one again so we can see Uncle Ben died in Peters arms for the 12th time at the start of his hero career, BUT THIS TIME THE YEAR IS 2021 INSTEAD OF 2015 LIKE LAST TIME.

Perpetuating the lie that you can stretch a character forever just means stagnation, an increasingly bloated cast, and creative bankruptcy that enables writers to just peddle the same stories with the same heroes and villains over and over again, instead of doing it ONCE and making it GOOD THE FIRST TIME and then just moving on.

Buckycap was hated in his time. People only accepted Dickbats because Morrison already told that Bruce is not dying.

>Buckycap was hated in his time
Are you out of your fucking mind?

>nobody raises an eyebrow when you rape the joker

Mayday, Stephanie, Cassandra, Kyle, Wally, and Tim were some of my favorite legacy characters. Shame they all got raw deals.

Pretty much this.

god I love Cass. I've been meaning to finish going through everything but I put things down where war games started and haven't been able to get myself to pick it back up.

Damn almost forgot spiderman's daughter, when did marvel stop making her comics? I know it was supposed to be an AU/future like spiderman 2099 (which was also good) but she was a good character desu.

I always skip that portion and War Crimes given what happens to Stephanie and how garbage that era began to be. Really the only saving grace was Cass's ongoing which then had an amazing crossover with Robin.

It really showcased the amazing chemistry the two had. Then it gets good and goes off the rails thanks to Infinite Crisis with a Namekian-esque arc that lasts way longer than it should.

But it's worth it for Garza art and Cass vs. Rose.

I doubt we'll see her back until RYV ends, if ever.

>tfw no Barbara having nightmares after seeing Jim fuck Steph in costume

Because they decided to push Spider-Gwen as the next hot AU Spider thing then RYV has Annie May who's basically filling that role now. I honestly don't know what to be pissed at Costa more for:

A.) Shoving Spider-Gwen down our throats in Web Warriors and side-lining the entire cast.
B.) Sasuke from Venom.
C.) Treatment of Flash and Andi to pump Sasuke up. I hope Coles fucking kills Sasuke's ass or nobody ever brings up the fucker again.

Sucks all we're getting is a complete collection trades. Truly a crime since she was Marvel's longest running female comic and that's how they treat this sort of character.

>Truly a crime since she was Marvel's longest running female comic and that's how they treat this sort of character.

She's a GOOD female character. They don't want that type anymore. Just this stupid grrrl power nuFeminism bullshit. Which is no replacement for characterization.

Yes, but not by being stupid faggot teenagers who break into someone's house, steal their property and then get rewarded for committing these crimes by becoming a superhero.

I accepted the fuck out of DickBats. I loved that. It felt like the next natural step. I hate that nothing changes but situations in comics. It's why I stopped keeping up with them outside of the occasional good run with a certain writer.

Superhero continuity past the original run on a character should be treated like mythology. There is a loose canon of basic qualities that often is (but just as often isn't) adhered to, but mostly the important thing is telling a good, self-contained story that works on its own merits. Want to tell a story about a new Batman/Batgirl/etc? Great, go for it. Want to make the same Bruce Wayne immortal due to [bullshit logic]? Okay, Great, also go for it. Continuity as it exists now introduces more problem than it solves.

And someone is inevitably going to say "stories don't matter without continuity," or something similar. I would argue that stories don't matter because of continuity, because a character is never allowed to stray far beyond certain limits and things are actively retconned to maintain a status quo. If a story is interesting and impactful, other writers will make use of it or react against it as part of that loose, "mythological" canon.

Yeah but characterfags would riot

Yup. It has been successfully done before too. The problem is there are retarded nostalgia fags who dragged it back to the ancient status quo they liked because they wanted to recycle their own childhood fan fiction. Couple that with their autistic hatred of actual progression and you have the stagnation and apathy that reigns over cape shit in general. I doubt either company is willing to accept this. Marvel is probably going to kill of RYV in a couple more issues and Bendis is probably going to rape and murder Jon and Damien.

What I thought was always weird is that DC and Marvel could easily do both, they could have an advancing timeline with new heroes replacing old heroes, permanent death, whatever, and continue telling stories with Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker, or any other 50+ year old character, because they're already doing it with "history" stories, elseworlds and alternate universes.

The comic industry just has the worst fucking upper management.

I'd be unironically upset if Bendis does end up killing Jon,thought i doubt he would do the same with Damian, as Bendis just has reigns over the SuperFam and not the Bat-Senpai.

the x-men should have been reproducing and having children decades ago. the story arcs of desperate parents becoming bloodthirsty just to protect their kids would be a fucking goldmine plot tree. but no, marvel's gotta shit its pants with O5 bulshit

>the x-men should have been reproducing

Legacy works for some characters not for all for example Barry should have stayed dead. He adds nothing to the DCU and his existence is just dumb every time we see the Flash in any medium its just Wally re-skinned as Barry. With that said their is no way DC can remove Superman, Batman or Wonder woman. All these Dickfags are just delusional, Bruce will always be Batman he is just too big to be replace, especially by an inferior character.

>every time we see the Flash in any medium its just Wally re-skinned as Barry.

Justice League had more of an amalgamation, leaning heavily towards Wally.

Didn't exactly invalidate my statement but..OK...I guess. The only reason Barry is back is because of John's ego. Everything we whole as part of the Flash's character comes from Wally, John's just took it all and give to to Barry yet I never see anyone call him out on it whenever people take about Legacy the conversation is hijacked by Dickfags who want their character to have some legitimacy by filling shoes he can't fill.

>Didn't exactly invalidate my statement but..OK

Wasn't trying to. Just making an observation. ;) NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE AN ARGUMENT!!!

OK user sorry. You know how it is around these parts, been on Sup Forums too long.

these are both wrong as fuck son.

People whine about that all of the time. Don't know how you miss it.

I loved BuckyCap. And I think Falcon would have done the shield proud if not for the current direction of Marvel. What a wasted opportunity.

>What we want:
>Terry and Mayday
>What we get:
>Damien and Miles

No! No! No!

It wasn't meant to be this way!

Renew Your Vows and Batman Beyond Rebirth are both currently going last I checked

Why can't there be two Batman?

Cape comics would be better if there were no overarching continuity to begin with, if instead there were self-contained shorter continuities that begin and end with one writer. Then the next one wouldn't have to care about what came before and re-write and retcon the ever living shit out of characters which leads to such questions as why the Batman doesn't just let Joker die.

What gets my is that they had already done stuff like Young Avengers and Avengers Academy which were decently received, so it would have made sense to try to push those characters a little. But instead they stuffed each and every one of them (aside from Kate) into comic book limbo and made a bunch of new cardboard cut out characters that failed horribly.

The answer is whales and the obsession with "canon".

M2 struggled because it wasn't "canon" and didn't matter. Same with almost every line and flash-forward/back book. The whales and the people in charge are obsessed with stories that matter in the big fancy canon.

would they have been a cute couple?

would they talk about their crazy cloning stories?

that got a hardy kek.

Yeah but who actually reads the current ongoibg of Batman Beyond
Ever since the Brother Eye thing and TimBeyond everyone has dropped it by now
Does Terry even have the mantle back again?

idk i think readers could accept new characters but at some point they will want the old character back. also it their death or replacement is well written then people will accept it, but if we have bullshit stories like how whor replaced thor for no fucking reason then yeah readers are gonna be mad about it

Yes, it should be like jojo.

Steph looks kinda thicc in the second panel
I love it

being a joseph fan must be suffering.

you can't help but recall his prime and compare with what he had become.

on the flip side would be goku who despite wanting others to carry the torch, the narrative makes it so that it returns back to him.

Yes.

It's not like Bruce could do anything about it legally, without make people know that he was Batman.

>Does Terry even have the mantle back again?
Pretty sure he got it back when Rebirth happened.

>all we're getting is a complete collection trades
Back up now nigga, we're getting complete collections for Mayday? Tbh this was always the best case scenario in my mind if that's the case.

>complete collection trades
When are these supposed to be coming out?

Yeah first one was announced for August when they popped up on Amazon listing in January.

In an ideal world, this would've been the case from the beginning. Characters wouldn't have to age in real time, it could be a bit slower, but it would've crated definitive cutoff points for each character. If you want to read about Bruce Wayne as Batman, there would be a finite list of comics you'd need to read. People wouldn't be as intimidated by continuity and it'd be easier for people to get into cape comics because there's a definitive starting and ending point for every character.

My reaction to such pages make me realise how thirsty I am for contact with attractive women.

You could divide the heroes' lives into segments and have teams write stories in different periods. For example, stories of Bruce Wayne being Batman, others more in the future with Bruce being too old and Dick taking over, others further in the future with Terry. There's not even a finite number of stories you can tell; any team would simply choose a period and write what they want.
And if anyone says "But that's dumb. We'd already know how Batman ends, the status quo would never have any meaningful change", well... That's what we have right now.

This. But isn't stuff like Batman Beyond already what you described?

Yeah, but Beyond is so far up in the future it might as well be an elseworld. People give it a pass because of that, but I don't know if they'd be as chill with a Dickbats comic where Bruce takes a backseat.

Does it trouble you then when King or Tynion (since he's following a mixture of Morrison and Titans Tomorrow) gives a finite ending then?

Finite how? I haven't read their stuff so I don't know what you mean.

King just recently had an annual where Bruce died around his family (he was happily married to Selina, had a kid in Helena then she, Jason, Dick, Damian, a balding Tim lol, Carrie Kelly, Duke, and Stephanie watched him die peacefully.

Tynion basically fused Morrison's bad end that Bruce dies, Dick dies, Damian fucks up royally, and Tim come's in to clean up his mess by going facist/ironically adopting Jason's prior edgy methods aka the Titans Tomorrow future.

Renew Your Vows has Annie-May not Mayday.

Dammit, I ship this now.

I just want 2099 to come back.
Miguel is a better spidey than Peter.

No. Simply because the very idea of superhero legacies is a gimmick that's antithetical to the way the franchises are handled and how readers get attached in the first place. Plus, it's something that requires a long-term investment from writers and editors who won't just abandon it after a few years. Unlikely in today's market.

Ok, they're actually kind of cute.

Damian is good though

Play it like with JoJo then.

Better yet, just bring pre-OMD Peter back, he didn't suck as much as post-OMD did.

Yeah but I want cyberpunk Spidey.

only the true one, fuck those other guys, 928 all the way

Yes, sure.

One of the most baffling things about comics is how so called fans want to read the same shit endlessly forever

>Buckycap was hated in his time.

Wrong, there were complaints, but the book was popular and sold well, Brubaker's BuckyCap did better than most Cap books from the 2010s.

>complaints about brubaker captain america.

hahahahahhahahah no

i guess more established heroes will have a harder time being replaced without people making a fuss but smaller publishers can make stories about this exact topic and make it work.

There were complaints but those were easily ignored because people liked the run. Brubaker's BuckyCap sold better than Spencer's and Remender's run by 10,000+ copies

Buckycap was fucking bland. Dick was never ment to be a permanent replacement...I mean, none of them were.

"These new kids we hire at Marvel will come up to me and tell me how excited they are to write for Spiderman or the Hulk. And I'll say to them 'But why do you want to write for my characters so badly?' When I first started, I loved Superman and Batman and the Flash, but I didn't write for them, instead I created Spiderman and the Hulk."

Writers for the big two are shit with blank slates.
Time and time again they fuck it up even with all the legacy behind the superhero mantles they slap on a character they can't help do anything good with them.
Not to mention turning the character into a mouthpiece of some sort.

>so we can see Uncle Ben died in Peters arms
Stopped reading right here

I'm torn. Wally West, BuckyCap, DickBats... all characters I think did a great job inheriting the mantle, and could have stuck with it. As much as I like her character design (sorry for saying that), Barbara Gordon should have remained Oracle.

Thor? Never needs to be replaced. Hulk? I don't see it.

There's always going to be an appetite for characters that are classic, but if you create it organically, it can work. The issue that we really have is bringing characters back too fast, and tossing characters into the mantle that have no reason to be there.

People make a fuss because the process isn't a real passing of the torch and as you said a replacement.
It's too sudden with no real bonding and establishing of the new hero.
Reason why people accepted Batman Beyond and have no issue with him in a solo series is the cartoon build a relationship with him and old Bruce. He wasn't just given the mantle and Bruce fucked off. He had to earn his stripes, fuck up, succeed, and go on a journey together with the original.
In cases like Riri Williams it was sudden with no real connection with Tony Stark. Yeah they had him say shit to put her over but that's not how you transition from one main character into a new one.
One of the examples I like to use is the Blue's Clue host change over. They advertised like crazy that a new guy was coming in and wanted kids to gradually get use to the idea of a new host.
They even had a crossover with the old guy and new guy having an adventure with Blue to convince kids that Joe was just as good as Steve. And then had Steve explain to the audience by he was leaving and to give Joe a chance. If they just let Steve go with no warning of course kids would have flipped out because they're use to Steve.
This is common with all audiences, you just can't change a constant and not expect the audience to react.

He has a point here.

>New heroes mean the older heroes got... well.... old

Aren't superheroes, you know, superpowered and immune to the effects of aging?

^This. Batman can never die, only the actors who play him.

Based Stan. See this is how it is done.

No?

Just as many major characters have aged compared to ones that haven't. Peter Parker isn't 15. Kitty Pryde isn't 14. Scott Summers isn't 18.

DC is in deeper stasis because they reboot their entire line every couple of years, but Marvel is a mix of aging people and people who don't through the powers of bullshitium

>instead I created Spiderman and the Hulk

That's a funny way of saying "I stole characters Jack Kirby created and also did his wife."

They axed Mayday so they could push Anya Corazon (who already had a perfectly good identity as Arana) as the Supergirl to Spidey himself, and when she failed, they kept on trying again and again with others without realizing that Mayday's success as a character simply cannot be recreated.