Coco, does it deserves an Oscar?

How come South Americans loved it so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_diplomacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

representation really counts when it comes to viewer ship, china ate pacrim up for the same reason

Why did China like Kung Fu Panda so much?

Pandas

But if it was up to China pandas would be extinct by now.

Based on what I've heard about the movie I can only assume South Americans are all racist against themselves.

>does it deserves an Oscar

Coco was a great movie and one of Pixar's best.

But Loving Vincent is literally the first animated film of its kind, and tells the story of Vincent Van Gogh in a unique way, whereas Coco is mostly just a good implementation of the Pixar formula (Inside Out pushed the boundaries of what Pixar could do a lot more than Coco).

I'm fully aware that Coco is going to get the Oscar, but you're kidding yourself if you think anything other than Loving Vincent deserves it.

That shit movie didn't deserve a sequel.

If anything it's human affection that kills most things.

>oooOOOooo coral is pretty, let's walk on it.

No, but the Oscar is always for Disney because of general corruption, even awful films got the Oscar instead of better movies.

FUCK YOU DISNEY

Coco was better tho

We really are. "Latino" identity is only really thing in the US and among rich Latin American celebrities that live in the US or Europe anyway.

Sure, it was a great flick, but don't kid yourself into thinking anything gets a Oscar for a valid reason.

I only just saw Coco and Loving Vincent this week. I'd probably find myself going back to Coco a lot more just cause it's a more easily enjoyable and fun movie, but Loving Vincent was so much better.

>Coco, does it deserves an Oscar?
No, it's typical modern Pixar emotional manipulation. That shit is easy to do.

Lego Batman was robbed.

Bump

>Coco, does it deserves an Oscar?

Damn right it does. I dont usually say this for every Pixar and/or Disney movie, but Coco deserves it. It was good. Sure, the villain twist was predictable as hell but it was a good movie overall. If it wins, it'll be well deserved.

South Americans probably dont care or hate Coco because it's not about them.. Coco is about mexican culture.
As said, latino identify is not a thing outside of the USA. A Peruvian or Argentinian is probably not gonna care about Coco for being "about them" cause it's not.

That's like asking why Kung Fu Panda did well in China.

It did well because it told a story based on the culture it came from, not the culture as perceived by Americans.

Just as KFP did Chinese culture better than China, Coco did Latin American culture arguably better than them as well.

Does it deserve an Oscar? Sure. At this point having an Oscar is like having an Associates degree: a totally pointless award that makes you feel better about all the time you wasted.

Why wasnt Mary and the Witch's Flower even nominated? I dont get it.

Disney always has the upper hand in that category; they should either retire it or restructure it so other studios get a chance.

Because Ghibli didn't make it. Pretty much it.

Bump for Oscar

Even ghibli films that weren’t specifically from Hayao Miyazaki usually had a rough time.

It just won

>Coco is proof that art can help change the world!

Are there artists out there who actually believe that a heavily commercialized and controlled Disney product is gonna change the world?

It's not like I Love Lucy which gave fame to a woman comedian and Cuban man in the 50's.

>Disney won the Disney Award

WOOOOOOOOW

It deserved it though. The only other nomination that came close was The Breadwinner.

Im Latino and I think Loving Vincet shoult have won.

because it was a realistic representation of Mexico, mexican culture and latin american family values.

Well, they do have influence.

But yeah, they tend to play things so safe that their movies are less game changers and more like landmarks that serve to reflect the current times, rather than changing them.

>realistic representation of Mexico

But nobody was skinned alive for leaving the resort.

Plus none of Miguel relatives where in the Cartel.

>That's like asking why Kung Fu Panda did well in China.
>It did well because it told a story based on the culture it came from, not the culture as perceived by Americans

>Mexico
>South America
>Actually implying Mexico and Chile are the same in any way

Feels more like what the turism department of Mexico would want you to see. more that how actually is

Mexico and Chile have more similarities than differences.

>Disney/Pixar won the “lets give Disney/Pixar and award” award

Congrats, much deserved

>Mexican culture is the same with other South American cultures
>Latin countries=Mexico
do Brazilians relate to Mexican culture? How about Chileans? Is South America really similar in culture( other than religion/language)?

probably, it is like comparing canadians, aussies and americans, there are clearly some differences but at the end they are all practically the same shit

Did it deserve it? Yes. But it ultimately means nothing because none of the other movies ever stood a chance. Loving Vincent and The Breadwinner were too niche, Boss Baby and even more Ferdinand weren't up to the standard.

Just in Mexico the people in the north, center, south, coast and Mexico City are as different ethnically and culturally as countries in Europe, even as populated as them.

I'd be less pissed about Coco winning if the whole trademark nonsense never happened.

Don't forget the whole representation bullcrap, that made me roll my eyes.

Miguel never got a beating from his grandmother the entire film.

>When the award is so predictable CartoonBrew already has the article ready to submit mere seconds after the award is announced

Stay classy, CB.

watch the scene where the abuela finds him in the plaza, that's totally the reaction of a kid that has been at the receiving end of a chancla.

the academy needs fresh blood.

>"Disney wins" the award
Pointless 2bh, just make "best Disney music", "best Disney animator" and all that. Don't nominate anybody else because what's the point?
Is there an animation award bingo? because "Disney wins" should be on the free space.

Not just fresh blood, fresh blood that actually gives a shit. Cause they can just bring more schmucks from their inner circles and still neglect categories like Best Animation.

No other country keeps Pandas alive. If you have Pandas at your local zoo it's because they have a deal with China.

why wouldnt they?

They wouldn't and they should. I just think the lack of even attempting an illusion is hilarious. Amid may as well submit the article the day before the Oscars with short picture being a blank _____ and edit it in the next day.

Dime eso a la cara, conchetumadre

Your out of your mind, pandas are literally a part of China's diplomatic policy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_diplomacy