Modern coloring is 90% fucking atrocious, why is pre-digital coloring so much better

Modern coloring is 90% fucking atrocious, why is pre-digital coloring so much better.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EednuMMnZWE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jokes on you i'm not racist.

That's not pre-digital

Kinda funny

OP you fucking idiot

stop blaming digital when you clearly can't even tell the difference

start blaming artists, and admit your personal preference for flat colors

Better or worse?

the bottom has more personality to me.
bottom for interiors, top fr covers.

I didn't know Loki was ever an X-Men villain.

Sort of, there was an X-Men/Alpha Flight miniseries and then a follow-up in the New Mutants/X-Men annuals.

I guess the colors do get a little dulled and muted

Foreground characters of top pop out more, but the bottom one has a better color scheme.

Left feels too generic and everything seems like it's the same shade. The one on the right seems to read better.

Still all digital.

Plus the style of coloring should always match the artist and Old Lee is a lot more suited for Flats or Light gradients.

Try to color someone like Quinones with flats and it's boring as hell. Not trying to start shit about America, it's just the first example I thought of.

>the style of coloring should always match the artist

Yeah, that's not what's being talked about here.

That left is depressing. It's like all the life was sucked right out of it.

He even wanted to date Storm, pleb.

youtube.com/watch?v=EednuMMnZWE

*Coment valid only for France.

Coloring, as a process, required skill and actual technical know-how.
Nowdays anyone can be hired on to do flats and they dont need to be aware of color theory or worry about how the colors used will look or if they are even creatable at all with the printing process.

That stuff is not digital you can look at it and tell it's done with the old school color separation. Marvel didn't go digital until after Image and Malibu made it standard and in fact their coloring tech was the sole reason Marvel acquired Malibu

This one is pretty good

_ ____ __ ____ psylocke

For me the digital coloring looks far more vivid. But it can be overdone like in were its hard to focus. It can mix everything together, nothing really stands out. Sadly.

I wouldnt reduce it on what is better, but what the artist want and how good he is. And if the artist rely too much on digital and everything is a bad comic.

close, but no CIGAR

These are good, but only because they're more emulating the early digital color style Marvel used in the mid-to-late 90s. As opposed to slathering ill-fitting, dull colors on lineart like

Modern coloring gives more sense of volume, in crowd panes is usually worst, to me is more exhausting for the reader because you focus more on small details

The coloring is the only good aspect of that book. The coloring on that page you posted is 1000 times better than if it was full of poor lighting effects. Especially for non-serious stories flat colors provide a nice tone.

You clearly seem to think "anatomically correct" art should have "realistic coloring" and the point of the thread is that flat coloring is better regardless.

Well flats and flat coloring are different. "Flats" are color blocking that makes it easier for the colorist to know which lines go with which. So a line of trees might be bright purple rather than green in order to amplify the little spots that show through clothing folds or between arms and legs and such in the foreground. Think of it like what green screen does for movies, it allows them to see the individual elements better.

Itt a bunch of autists complain because the precise, exact wording that registers in their broken robot brains wasn't used.

Not really. It seems to be just the post above you and it simply made a distinction.

I can't imagine being so buttblasted by a correction.

Holy shit that's legitimately fucking pathetic. Jesus.

fuck off back to twatter with ya nigger gifs

I own the TPB and you can tell a lot of love and care went into the recoloring, this is a good example of digital coloring done well.

Theyc literally edited out a fucking cigar by making it a smoke shaped claw. That's not care that's garbage.

Does Wolverine still smoke in the comics?

well yeah that's what happens when you have access to a full range of color and not just whatever happens to come out of a tube. and unlike real artists comic artists were on too much of a budget, a deadline, and a lack of talent to bother mixing colors. It's why they're all so high contrast; no one's gonna produce base paints in minutely differentiated and derivative shades. That ergonomic laziness is what gives comic books their signature color palate and disposable pop-art aesthetic

Why does that matter? And not normally no. Smoking in general isn't even shown amongst the badasses and villains it was reserved for through the 90s and early aughts.

>I'mma talk about coloring but also I'mma stealth post a page from America in order to derail the thread.

Which is dumb because as was pointed out the coloring on that book is sincerely one of the only good aspects. And some of quinones Latina booty shots.

I was just wondering. Maybe he vapes.

So the paint bucket and the gradient tool is everything you need to land a job at marvel
Color me surprised.