Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tenAvocgXuk
youtube.com/watch?v=n1AlCxMo6wk
youtu.be/iee2LFF70lA?t=9
youtube.com/watch?v=DQtSfVe8Kes
jessemoynihan.com
jessemoynihan.com/?p=2361
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Exactly, nuAT is for mature and sofisticated adults.

>juvenile
I think you're word you're looking for is good

And the later “muh relationship troubles” ones aren’t?

That's early seasons too

You mean actually fun and not full of melodrama and gay people.

>juvenile
It's a kid's show, retard: the fact that the later seasons aren't juvenile is the problem.

Juvenile =/= stupid

In fact, I think that the early seasons are much more intelligently written than the later ones. Despite attempting to include more 'mature' themes and attitudes, the later episodes are quite dumb and facile.

However I would agree that the first season is the most 'juvenile', sometimes to a fault. That is certainly one reason why the show improved in season 2, by moving away from the sort of truly dumb humor that season 1 was still liable to have.

The joke in your pic is juvenile in the negative sense. I think Slumber Party Panic in general is one of the worst episodes of S1, though that would still put it ahead of many recent episodes

I stopped watching it around when fin and flame princess broke up because it wasn't a fun show anymore

>show about a young boy and his dog in a kingdom made of candy is juvenile

Woah

My favorite episode is still the first magic man ep

Samefag

Fag

Fagfag

The whole series is juvenile garbage.

and I don't get why Sup Forums wants every cartoon to be juvenile

Most of Sup Forums agrees that Adventure Time declined in quality over the course of its run. This correlates with a (mostly true) perception that the show was attempting to be more 'mature' with its themes and tone. Whether or not this shift is the main cause of the decline is a complex issue, but at any rate this shift has led many disillusioned viewers to swing far in the opposite direction, claiming that it is almost always bad for shows to pretend to (what are in their views) 'mature' topics.

tl;dr people oversimplify things

Yes. And also so much fun.
Wish it had a couple more seasons in the same style as the first two.

I actually prefer the early seasons of AT over the latest.
It just was one of those cartons that felt like it was written by actual children with its nonsensical and whimsical world and characters.

t. Brainlet

People still praise shows like TT, Avatar, BTAS, Castlevania, Rango, and tons of other shows and movies (and anime), that deal with serious themes, because they do it well.

People just understand when writers attempt to do it and have absolutely no idea what they're doing, instead of creating a story that feels authentic and natural they end up making something like later AT, or SU, where the characters end up being incredibly inconsistent, shallow, stunted, and dull, and inevitably end up acting however they need to to hit whatever story or emotional note the writer/boarder wants to make an episode about, not to mention having poor pacing, unsatisfying conclusion, and arcs that last far longer than they're welcome.

How was anything I wrote inconsistent with what you just said?

>oversimplifying things
Not the case with AT's steady decline down the toilet

t. brainlet

It was a different time. Now the whole world and internet is self loathing and hating

It is a children's show.

It is made for children.

HOLY SHIT

>How dare a show about a boy adventurer be about cute, simple adventures!
Fuck your emo drama, tumblr shipperfag. You aren't mature while watching cartoons.

Because cartoons are for children.

Because no one has made the argument that having mature themes in cartoons is bad or "swung in the opposite direction" there is no over simplification of issues. Just people pointing out bad writing.

why?

rebecca sugar was always incredibly mediocre with scripts

People do though, in fact just did, effectively, unless he wants to clarify his argument

Also you have people who just throw out ad hominems like

GOLB!! That is one fantastic title card too.

>adventure Time came out when I was still in elementary school
Damn time flies. I was in the 5th grade before you faggots call me underaged

>I think that the early seasons are much more intelligently written than the later ones
Not really. The early seasons handheld the audience through everything. I still like the early seasons a lot, but I dislike how character motivations and such were so explicitly laid out, leaving very little room for interpretation. You could argue the later seasons became too ambiguous at times, but I prefer that than having every little thing spelt out for me. There is definitely more to chew on and think about with the later seasons, generally speaking.

>People just understand when *my subjective opinions that I'm absolutely sure everybody shares and understands*

>Also you have people who just throw out ad hominems
Whatever helps you dismiss criticisms, sunshine.

First post is the most common piece of bait on this board and the second said nothing wrong. Not to mention it'd be fucking stupid to judge from 2 post as opposed to the common criticisms laid against the show.

>muh subjectivity
I didn't say everyone agreed but it's clearly not an uncommon description of the problems with the later seasons, not only on this website but on forums and other discussion boards.

>character motivations should be nebulous and undefined
You're a special kind of retard.

>the second said nothing wrong
If you're judging by the standards of internet slapfights, sure

I just thought that there were at least a few people in this thread who, whatever their opinions, were interested in talking semi-intelligently

>I need to be spoonfed everything
There are many instances in the early seasons when the characters will narrate their own intentions and what's happening around them. It's fine if the motivations are easily discernible, but I don't want to be told "This is how I'm feeling, and this is what I'm going to do." That's not good writing. Only in a show for toddlers should that be acceptable.

all mine

They were responding to OP, who merely said that the show was "juvenile" without any justification for why that would even be a bad thing. He gave OP a response more dignified than what was even warranted.

>OP makes a bad argument, therefore it is appropriate for me to respond with an equally bad argument
two wrongs don't make a right

They were better

FUCK. YES.

They tell other people how they feel Or what they plan to do at times, rather rarely they say it to themselves which is what normal people do either way. But the point being a characters motivations whether stated directly or not should be clearly communicated whether through their actions, dialogue, or any method that fits the character and situation. But having a character whose motives are "open to interpretation," is almost never good or even acceptable writing.

Ha ha wouldnt it be funny if he did that to princess bubblegum instead of starchy

It seems TTG was right after all youtu.be/tenAvocgXuk

TTG's commentary is at about the same level as Sup Forums's

SO FINN AND JAKE

youtube.com/watch?v=n1AlCxMo6wk

>points out superficial parts of the clown to prove it's the same
>doesn't understand what actually makes clowns funny and enjoyable
This is how you end up with pale imitations that have no charm or personality. This scene explains why TTG is shit in less than a minute.

This post explains why TTG is right

>clowns
>funny and enjoyable

Man TTGo is a lame show
I did laugh when he squirted the ink to act as a signature though, that was pretty funny

Clowns and circus acts have lasted as long as they have for a reason

Yeah youtu.be/iee2LFF70lA?t=9

Circuses still exist?

this video is better than anything Adventure Time has made in 5 years, prove me wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=DQtSfVe8Kes

Fucking what

I disagree that it necessarily should be clear what the motivations of characters are. I have no issue with that though, my issue is when it's explicitly spelt out. Take for example this line from Silent King: "If I defeat Xergiok as king, I can prove to the goblins that an active king, can be a good king. But I can’t let them know until it's all over." There's zero thinking required from the audience at all.

you're directly copying that from Jesse's old blog dude, do you actually give a shit about this stuff or are you just sucking the writers' dick?

Why are you even here? You don't like cartoons.

What's wrong with that line? People think out loud all the time and it's necessary Because otherwise his reasons for wanting to be Goblin King are incredibly vague.

You shouldn't have to be confused about why something is happening unless it's actually SUPPOSED to be a surprise or mystery

Who?

Jesse Moynihan, the weird story boarder who used to work on the show. he made a post on his personal website
>jessemoynihan.com
citing that exact line of dialogue from that episode and talked about the same stuff you are, how the early seasons were incredibly clear cut with the later having more ambiguity concerning the character's thoughts and motivations and letting the viewer come to their own conclusions.
I doubt you just chose a random example that happened to be the exact one he used himself, so you're clearly copying his thoughts. that or you are Jesse, in which case you're an okay guy but Betty is still a shit episode and what were you thinking?

I remembered the example from his blog, but examples like that are pervasive throughout the first few seasons of the show. It's hardly a difficult observation to make.

I do. What I don't like is the mentalilty that just because something is aimed at kids means that everything has to be spoonfed.

>People think out loud all the time
Sure, but not like that.

>Because otherwise his reasons for wanting to be Goblin King are incredibly vague.
It's easy to figure out his reasons, and his plan doesn't need to be immediately obvious.

I didn't make that other post I just didn't know what you were talking about. But I found the post and holy shit this explains so much of why everyone's actions are fucking incomprehensible in post 4 AT

Could you point out the post for me? I'm curious

jessemoynihan.com/?p=2361

>The Mountain
What a piece of shit episode.

much obliged

Why do you think that? It's probably the most interesting Lemongrab episode.
Not even because "ooh it's so deep" because if you look at it with any depth it's clearly shit about Lemongrab trying to get self actualization and shit, I just thought it was interesting and cool.

>In my mind, the thing I really wanted to get away from, was the complete narrative handholding that embodies not only kids television, but almost all television: The ideology that demands we understand at all times what the character feels, what the conflict is
Holy fucking shit this guy is an idiot

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Garbage opinion

Thanks for your input friendo .

garbage person

On one hand he sounds like a full of himself hipster, on the other I can get where he's coming from if the 'regular' writing style is boring to him now and he feels like he needs to do something different and more interesting.
I don't know, when it comes down to it I still like AT but have definitely thought it got lost up its ass on more than one occasion and writers like this are probably what caused that.

I've been ploughing through adventure time. Started early november and now I'm in season 8.
I can't get the condom banana guards out of my head.

It gets better the instant Finn realizes girls aren't the center of the universe and starts having adventures again.

By the way what's everyone's favourite episode? Mine's The Tower. There's something about it that I really loved.

At this point it's a very unoriginal answer for AT threads but my heart will always belong to Dad's Dungeon. So cool and I love Joshua as a character and how fucked up but still loving his relationship with his kids was.

Tower is cool too, I'm a fan of most episodes that are focused around Finn's messed up psychological methods of dealing with shit. Kid's pissed so he builds a tower to space to dismember his dad, that's pretty neat.

"Hall of Egress."
Then "Jermaine".

>"Hall of Egress."
That was an excellent one, too.

Also "Card Wars", but that's just my /tg/ autism and not because the quality of the episode.

>The Dad's Dungeon title card and the title screen for the original Gauntlet are quite similar

Of course it's an unoriginal answer. It's an episode that hits all the right notes. It's a flawless episode with the most powerful and memorable scene in the show.
But for the sake of being a special snowflake I'll say Enchiridion.

Why Jermaine? While I liked that ep, I remember being a bit disappointed in it I guess because I love Finn and Jake's family and thus my expectations were set really high.
I'm still sad their old house got burnt down and it was seen as a good thing.

True, I guess I should be glad that so many anons recognize its greatness for it to be a common pick like it is.
I wish I had a good pick for my special snowflake answer, maybe Evicted or Go With Me or a dozen other possible picks. The bad thing of there being so many good episodes is that I can't pin down which ones I like most.

I can kind of see it but could just be coincidence, I feel like AT usually makes it more apparent when they directly reference something
At the least they used that or something like it for inspiration which is cool

If you mirror the AT title card most of the major elements line up with the Gauntlet ones.

You Forgot Your Floaties. The visuals, creepy soundtrack, lyrical dialogue, the all-around craziness of that episode, I just love it. It helps that Magic Man is one of my favourite characters, and that was his finest appearance by far, in part thanks to Tom Kenny's stellar performance. The concept of digging into your own sadness and madness to obtain magic power was also really cool, and struck me on a personal level.

>Jermaine
Very underrated. The dream sequence at the beginning was fantastic, it's a shame that this was Graham's only episode.

The dialogue in that episode was stellar. I like how the title is in reference to how damn deep it was.

Because I like Jermaine as character and the the different kind of brotherly relationship shown in the show.
Kinda wish there was Jermaine+Finn focused episode.

Looks like Temple of Mars will focus on Finn/Jermaine's relationship somewhat.

Fair enough. I like Jermaine too, but it was lame how he seemed to barely care Finn was there and directed all his butthurt at Jake. Didn't give me a very good feel for what their relationship was like when they were living together which I was hoping for.

The new episode apparently has Finn and Jermaine teaming up, and with no Jake there hopefully they'll be forced to show off their dynamic. Very odd choice to bring Jermaine back in the last few episode, but I'm not complaining.

I think it makes sense given that Jake and Jermaine matured much faster than Finn. Finn would've still been a child by the time Jake and Jermaine were young adults.

Yesss
>but it was lame how he seemed to barely care Finn was there and directed all his butthurt at Jake. Didn't give me a very good feel for what their relationship was like when they were living together which I was hoping for.
Ditto.

I dunno man, they'd still have some kind of relationship. Jake clearly had one with Finn since by season 1 they were already very close, and even if Jake was closer to Finn there must have been something with Finn and Jermaine too.