It's a "New villian sucks so we have to shit on the old one to make this one look cool"

>It's a "New villian sucks so we have to shit on the old one to make this one look cool"

Why the hell does this happen so much?

Yeah it's probably the worst trope

i dunno man

It's just Worf effect but for villains. The villain needs to be a credible threat so having him wreck the previous villain shows he's even more of a problem for the heroes than what they've been dealing with.

>Old villian comes back with a vengeance and kicks the usurper villian’s ass six ways from Sunday.
My fucking favorite

This.

>Old and new villain come to an understanding and work together as equals.

In regards to the OP's image, what Zedd lost in bad-assery when he married Rita, he gained in actual successes.

>Zedd put an end to a vast intergalactic empire previously thought to be unstopabble

He was the real hero of Zeo

And he did so with nothing but a gift-wrapped bomb and a few choice words of fake friendship to his enemies.

Damn, now I wish I could see Zedd and Orochimaru at a bar drinking away the pain of becoming shitty, ineffective villians

Somebody please draw that

Remember that it takes a whole hour to make one fucking Cog

He got away with everything

>Be with two friends
>We start talking about Naruto
>One of my friends is a stoner and normally his mind blanks out into apathy
>Only one of us saw it to the end of the series
>Ask what happened to Orochimaru
>"He got away with it and lives peacefully now"
>Suddenly my stoner friend eyes open wide, even he's surprised

>Zedd looks and acts bad-ass, but is just as shitty and ineffective as Rita when running solo
>Married Rita because of date-rape drugs, but ended up loving her anyway.

Together, they:
>Blew up the Thunderzords
>Used Kat to sabotage the Rangers' trust in each other
>Took advantage of Master Vile's time-warping to humiliate and wreck the child Rangers at every turn
>Vaporized the Power Coins
>Blew up the Command Center
>Blew up the Machine Empire's leaders

>>Zedd looks and acts bad-ass, but is just as shitty and ineffective as Rita when running solo
Yeah no, he got rid of the green ranger , blew up the dinozords BY HIMSELF,destroyed a whole damn planet , used his putties in a way that let them succeed every once in a while and was generally doing all kinds of crazy shit like reversing time or making an entire goddamed island sink with his magic

S3 on the other hand Zedd forgot his monsters were more powerful than finster's for some reason, used little to no magic (To the point that zeo made me wonder if he somehow had lost his powers)and was pretty much everyone's bitch

Reversing time wasn't Zedd's magic
He literally had to use a magic rock to do it and couldn't after it was destroyed
Also, Z Putties
Fucking Z Putties

Only if 80's shredder can join them
Z putties usually were used to steal shit from the rangers so Zedd could make monster tho, and they usually got that right

All of those were back in his earliest episodes, before they started dumbing him down because of the parents. Between Tommy becoming the White Ranger and his marriage to Rita, Zedd was losing very badly and very constantly.

And Tenga Warriors couldn't even be fought without at least the Ninja Ranger powers, compared to Z-Putties who go down to dodgeballs thrown by kids at their emblems.

In Zedd's case, it was because parents complained he was "too scary." The constant napping and marriage to Rita were meant to soften him up. Granted he was still a skinless cyborg demon thing, but now he was just as goofy as the rest of the villains.

>it's a "writers shill the new villain by making him a Villain Sue bigger and stronger and smarter and badder than all the other villains and effortlessly able to beat them up"

Worf Effect blows. It's especially prevalent with Halo atm

>Didact so dangerous he can solo 4 Spartans omg
>Locke so dangerous he can solo Covie leader + zealots
>Atriox so dangerous he can solo Covies in combat and 3 Spartans on foot

I hate it so much when they do that. To be fair, Zedd is ironically the only example where it's awesome.

Nukus outsmarting the Magnavores on Beetleborgs was pretty great too, if anyone remembers that.

Same.

This makes me so hard.

It's an easy way to show the stakes have been raised.

"Hey remember X who we've been struggling against for so long? Well Y here makes X look like a total jobber. Shits getting real"

>Dr. Octopus is shown as a lowly minion of Fusion, a new super cool villain
>Out of nowhere it's revealed that Ock was double crossing him the whole time and was pretending to be intimidated by Fusion
>Fusion attempts to scare Ock, and Ock beats him half to death
>Fusion is found by Spider-Man covered in ink, hung to a wall, and almost dead

>Destroyed Dinozords
>Wiped out a planet
>Beat the shit out of Tommy one on one
>Ended the Green Ranger's powers period, and almost did it to the rest
>Was revealed to be the reason the Morphing Grid even existed
>Built a planet buster level Zord

Zedd was a bad motherfucker.

How else do you establish new villains?

>Dinozords don't actually get destroyed, instead transforming to Thunderzords when summoned
>Tommy gets White Ranger powers almost immediately after losing Green
>Serpentera can barely fly without draining all its energy, let alone bust a planet

it's a "new character is really badass so let's have them kick wolverine's ass to make them look cool"

seriously, for a guy on multiple teams,lived xxx years, trained in multiple martial arts and secret services, why is Logan such a jobber?

>grow up in America
>Pronounce the letter "Z" like "Zee"

>It's a "New hero sucks so we have to shit on the old one to make this one look cool"

Because he can afford it.

Oh gee I don't know, maybe you could
Create actually interesting new characters that aren't built on cheap marketing gimmicks.
Don't immediately resort to desperately shilling your creation through powerwank
Just put them in the setting and tell good stories with them.
And maybe give fans actual concrete reasons why they should accept this guy as a super badass.

There's a lot of ways you can establish a new villain without fucking it up.

>It's a new villain gets his shit kicked in by the old one because "If anyone is going to kill them, it's going to be me!"

>Have to alter Zords drastically just to keep up with Zedd
>Implying that means it wasn't impressive that he wiped out a singular power forever
>Implying he didn't use that machine to wipe out a planet

Narratively speaking, what is the point of this trope? I'd get it if the point was to build up the old villain so that the next arc is about them, but that's rarely the case as it's usually a one off appearance.
Why would the writer want to bury the new villains, besides the obvious case of pandering to the established villain's fanbase or simply hating the new villain?

>Esteemed Ninja Scientist Orochimaru
>Having done anything wrong

Green Powers came back though
Tommy's clone used them