“You’re going to see a superhero comic that’s somewhere between Rick & Morty and Black Mirror.”

>“You’re going to see a superhero comic that’s somewhere between Rick & Morty and Black Mirror.”

Are you excited for Slott's Iron Man, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XjXeHe80030
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>That’s how author Dan Slott described Tony Stark: Iron Man, his upcoming comic with artist Valerio Schiti for Marvel‘s “Fresh Start” relaunch. Everyone’s favorite billionaire techno-genius is back, and this time it’s going to get weird. Nerdist sat down with writer Dan Slott and artist Valerio Schiti for an exclusive interview about Tony Stark: Iron Man.

>In a way, it makes a lot of sense. At a time when science draws closer and closer to what was once considered outlandish fiction, the best way to keep it unreal is to shoot for the bizarre. Iron Man is the perfect character for these kinds of stories, according to Slott, because his superheroic abilities are bounded by the limits of what humanity can innovate. “He doesn’t come from a distant planet,” Slott said. “He wasn’t bitten by a radioactive spider. He took his own two hands and built everything he needs to stand side-by-side with Asgardian gods and super-soldiers! He’s always going to push the boundaries of science and tech to build a world he wants, and that’s going to lead to stories that go to insane places.”

>As for what those places look like, expect a highly engineered yet classic aesthetic; at least, that’s what Schiti’s artistic vision for the comic suggests. His influences range from “animated series like Transformers, [to] manga like Gundam or Ghost in the Shell, to robots like Mazinger Z or Steel Jeeg,” to real-life tech. “In the movies Tony Stark creates and collects his armor in his garage, like some sort of petrolhead,” Schiti explained. “So I immediately looked for race cars. But then I thought: why just cars? So now I have hundreds of images of planes, boats, spaceships, factory robots, prototypes… my Pinterest folders are exploding!”

Can't wait for Tony to turn himself into Iron Pickle

Wait, Iron Man got comics? They are based on the movies?

>We’ll also get to see a whole armor fashion show from Tony. Iron Man—to paraphrase Slott’s pitch—”makes himself and the universe what he wants it to be,” said Schiti. “So why should someone like that use just one [suit of] armor?” Readers will therefore be treated to “hundreds of different armors in this series,” which sounds like a lot of extra work for an artist…but he doesn’t mind. “To me this is heaven,” Schiti enthused. “To do new designs is one of my favorite things in comics, and here I have the chance to play with such an iconic character, to try different styles, to use classic suits, and to create new and extraordinary armors.”

>[...]Robert Downey, Jr.’s runaway success as the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Tony Stark has been shaping audience perceptions of the character for the last decade. As Slott put it, “We live in a time where every man, woman, and child on this planet knows who Iron Man is.” However, Schiti reassured readers that their Tony “is not a copycat of the movie one.” He’ll be going back to his classic roots with “new depths [and] new problems that make him somehow ironically similar to the Bronze Age version of himself,” which is a departure from the “wounded, dramatic, and stressed” Tony of, say, the New Avengers series by Jonathan Hickman. Fans, Schiti said, can look forward to meeting “the real, new Iron Man: funny, charming and cool.”

>Finally, what about the C-word: continuity? Will the relaunch also be a reset, or is Tony Stark: Iron Man starting where the last comic left off? “Everything counts,” Slott told us. “We’re going to play fair with all that’s happened to Tony from the very beginning all the way through to the most current runs. If you’re a longtime Marvel fan, I want you to know: ALL the continuity counts. The legacy counts. But if you’re one of the billions of people on this Earth who only knows Iron Man from the movies, you can jump on right here for a fresh start.”

>“You’re going to see a superhero comic that’s somewhere between Rick & Morty and Black Mirror.”

Remember back in 2012 when drones thought their characters were better written than the competition's?

I sure miss those days boy howdy

I TURNED MYSELF INTO A PICKLE, PETER

I’M PICKLE TONYYYYYY

> Books and Myths influenced Modern Superhero Comics
> Modern Superhero comics influenced TV and Movies
> Now TV and Movies influence Superhero Comics

What a dead medium. All the creators are regurgitating other mediums,

More like Dan Twatt hohohohohohohohohohohohohoho

>Black Mirror
Iron Man issue 3: Tony Stark's mum is alive, runs on batteries

If it were made by Warren Ellis, I would be excited by this idea.

If spiderman got a great writter his comic could sell just as much as Batman.

Now imagine the damage he will do to Iron Man

DC stands for dumb comics

So a dark humor filled mess that people think genuinely has to mean you have a high IQ to understand? I genuinely enjoy Rick & Morty but I think the last thing we want is Tony embracing his madness again. 'Superior Iron-Man' exists already.

>Rick & Morty and Black Mirror
TWO GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER

Plus Rick & Morty, so his mom will run on a miniature universe.

"You're going to see merchandise that's better than this top-selling item and that top-selling item! Give us your money now!"
Off is the direction I want you to fuck.

Mouseketeers SEETHING

PICKLE RICK LMAO GETIT

Remember when Based Marvel actually HAD competition? Yeah neither does anyone else

You mean when Marvel used to sell more comics than DC? Yeah it was so long ago

I'M PICKLE STEVEN BITCHHHHH

>Readers will therefore be treated to “hundreds of different armors in this series,”
Yippee...

Please tell me Mary Jane is no longer a part of Iron Man at least.

So is he going to create villains/antagonists who are knockoffs and expies of characters from Rick and Morty? Is Iron Man and Star Lord going to team-up to fight a copy of Vance Maximus? Or stop a knockoff of Rick Sanchez? Is Slott going to parody things in a way that will make Dan Harmon get upset?

To demonstrate how shitty Rick and Morty's sci fi concepts are, I came up with a nearly identical mini universe thing for my imaginary world in my 11 year old head that also featured my Harry Potter, Pokemon, and Warriors original characters who could travel between each others worlds. That's the same level that Harmon and his hacks write on

Autism.

Dan will create his own strawmen for Rick Stark to kill.

Why can Slott only consume modern media? (Breaking Bad, NuDoctor Who, Community, now Rick and Morty and Black Mirror)

>Slott on Iron Man

I haven't read a single Iron Man book since Extremis. Why do they keep putting these unbearably shitty writers on it?

Tony was always shit.

Slott is better than Iron Man deserves to be frank.

This. I mean, meme all you want, but Slott is capable of competent writing so long as you keep him in order, and it's really not as though he'll do anything worse to Iron-Man than Bendis has already done.

It took me a minute to realize you were talking about Slott and not Harmon

>"was always shit" buzzphrase

The sign of a creatively bankrupt """snarker"""

We don't need two threads of this shit

Dan Slott's writing got me to stop buying Spider-Man comics in 2012.
I started in 1992.

F U C K
D A N
S L O T T

Even with Spider-man, the first like 1/3rd of his run was actually pretty good. The next 1/3rd being Superior Spider-man which was more "divisive" than "bad." Plenty of people loved Superior even if others hated it with an absolute passion. Then post-Superior, he had ran his course and was just treading water to desperately stay on as long as he could while throwing whatever he could at the wall trying to get some stuff to stick.

Beyond Spider-man, his She-hulk, Mighty Avengers, Avengers Initiative and Ren & Stimpy runs were all great. The problem was never that Slott is a bad writer, but that he was on Spider-man for WAY too long. If his run had ended with Superior, then it would be looked at fondly. He just shat the bed after that because he never should have been writing Spider-man that long to begin with. Also, Slott never got a good grasp on Peter's "voice" which was one of the major problems with the run.

>To demonstrate how shitty Rick and Morty's sci fi concepts are, I came up with a nearly identical mini universe thing for my imaginary world in my 11 year old head that also featured my Harry Potter, Pokemon, and Warriors original characters who could travel between each others worlds. That's the same level that Harmon and his hacks write on

You are literally the type of pseudo-intellectual subhumanoid that watches Rick and Morty.

His She-Hulk and Silver Surfer runs were shit.

How is it possible that a character has been around as long as Iron Man and has only one good run to his name. Even Wonder Woman has 2 or 3.

But Michellinie and O'Neil were both good. Superior was pretty good as well.

t. Snyder

Well since Slott is clearly more interested in writing villains, maybe he can finally do something interesting with Tony's rogues gallery. I think Crimson Dynamo could use some love

She won’t be part of anything once Slott has her killed off

Not an argument.

Noooooo!!!!

So the only way you are able to dismiss my criticism is with brainless ad hominem? Is it "Pseudo intellectual", to point out that the world he rode his vast success from is at best vapid, and at worse a shitty ten year old's deviantart fanfiction.

I absolutely guarantee you that Slott doesn't understand what makes Black Mirror good beyond the most surface-level shit.

>Drones have literally no defense except MUH MOVIES

Guess they won't be making the sales charts again this year. Sad!

More like (D)umb (C)unts

That's Danny-boy for you.

>Now imagine the damage he will do to Iron Man
How much damage can you really do to a total wreck?

> Now TV and Movies influence Superhero Comics
>Now
Fuck off with your bullshit. Comics has been copying action movies since the 90s. While Hollywood only give a fuck about comics after the success of Batman.

Your sentence reads like something someone who watches Rick and Morty would write

Yeah say what you will about Slott but he did a good job with the Sinister Six. And his Norman has been good too. Does more classic elements revamped than OC Donut Steels when it comes to villains. He's eventually going to get to the classic bad guys and Mandarin.

>he did a good job with the Sinister Six.
Pffft
> And his Norman has been good too
HAHAHAHAHA

>reading a super hero comic series for 20 years or more
You should be thanking Slott for his shitty writing helping you quit being a man child

>what makes Black Mirror good
It was never good tbqh

You mean since the 30s.

Clark Kent is literally named after two action movie stars. His city was namdz Metropolis even. And comixs gace been pullimg stuff from the movies since there WERE movies. The Batcave, Skinny Alfred and Superman flying all come from film.

If they're dumb then why are they kicking your ass in sales?

Seems dumber how you can have a multi billion dollar film universe and still be the EA of the comic industry

Your movies are all flops tho....

> tfw I wanna get back to reading comics after a brief hiatus
> tfw I read the first line of OP's post
Guess I'll be reading manga for a while.

>He's not the Robert Downie Junior one.

You mean the best version of the character? 616 Tony is a villain, a loser, and canonically either has a small dick or is a premature ejaculator.

Bendis drove me away
Slott will keep me away

So we can expect this, but with Tony and Riri instead?

youtu.be/XjXeHe80030

>canonically
Sup Forums shitposting =/= canon

heard that if fails to make sales, they're firing him