Is it still viable to do animation using ink-to-cell traditional hand-drawn methods...

Is it still viable to do animation using ink-to-cell traditional hand-drawn methods? Digital looks really ugly and soul-less to me.

Even if the team is dedicated, can it even be economical?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-ZbtA1WGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aUMYZh07n0c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It won’t be economical because people won’t watch it so it won’t make money

sakuga is off the menu, boys.

Ernest and Celestine was digital art. You can make digital ink not suck and make money if done right.

Not really, digital is cheaper and easier. Also, and this is pure speculation but I reckon it's going to get harder to find people even capable of doing cell animation these days. I can't imagine there are many places left that teach it

Wow, this actually looks nice. Should I watch it in English ou en Francais?

Any films like it?

It isn't viable and you wouldn't want anybody doing it anyway.

Digital is not ugly and soulless, it is a tool. The things you don't like are changes in styles and techniques that have happened over time.

Vinyl is not 'warmer' than digital music

How do we send the post-Adventure Time generation of animators to the galleys?

I mean gallows.

This. It's worth remembering that Disney hasn't used cel since the Little Mermaid, pretty much the entire Disney Renaissance was done digitally

U r a dumbass. If you do not use the tools you're most comfortable with, the result will always be sub-optimal.

They are both good choices. The movie is short, so you might end up seeing this twice for both voices.

Can't it just be completely emulated by digital at this point?

Yep. The only reason digital art doesn't look like cel art is that people aren't actively making them look the same

It could be done 30 years ago. Unless you can honestly say Aladdin didn't look like traditional animation in most parts

Considering the Clusterfuck that is the modern animation industry and the parasitic manchildren that approve and defend the horrific animation of SU and OK KO, and then they are so pompous about it.

Not in the US at the very leasFUCKING CAPTCHA LET ME POST LET ME POST YOU FUCKERS!

any movies like this?

No. We are going to make them row.

Yea but for some reason they always use a hard brush and no pencil/uneven brush for linework.

>Ernest et Célestine
>make money
Yeah, no.

Cuphead was colored digitally.

you can make 2d animation with computers dumbass

teach me how to make backgrounds with paint and watercolor with the same grainy texture as paper on computer then.

Alright, teach me how to make backgrounds with paint and watercolor still.

most of the 2D films from the 90s were just that

Only the first lesson is free.

I've done this before but the noise doesn't give the same effect, it looks shittier/doesn't blend with the image in the same way that you'd want for that.

Isn't that pretty much what disney's Deep Canvas was?

It's all about the muted colour palette from the cameras they used in traditional animation. The paint colours used were actually much brighter.

They could probably just make a filter for animation programs that dulls the colours slightly to make them more harmonious

They have that, it's called the saturation tool.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-ZbtA1WGQ

youtube.com/watch?v=aUMYZh07n0c

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize how many disney movies used digital ink and paint. I have a hard time believing people think this looks 'soulless'

they painted each animation frame like that?

Define "soulless"

that transfer looks horrid, tried some color correction, and no, its not just the saturation slider, its the Color curve and Color Balance.

still looks worse than paintings

i actually never liked the washed out look of old cartoons

i prefer the stronger colors of digital transfer

Not worth it. It's actually harder to try to make digital look like real paint than to actually paint by hand, though cleaning mistakes is much easier. Brushes in programs use opacity with a some type of pattern, real paint glazes in truly random ways. All the leaves are a dead giveaway that its just digital smudges.

That's part of it. People don't account compositing which is a major part of making animations.

The line art being traditional is more important than the coloring and effects.

At least on old TVs, true black gets mutated into either green, grey, brown, etc. Matt Groening actually had this in mind which is why he made the characters yellow, to make people think their TV sets color input was off.

They were still teaching it when I took animation classes in 2006.

painting is not some kind of lost fucking art

This stuff makes me mildly furious

It's always "I wish things were still hand drawn"

motherfucker unless they're some full CG shit they're STILL drawn by hand!

>the parasitic manchildren that approve and defend the horrific animation of SU and OK KO
go look in a mirror fag

Kek

They would paint each frame "backwards" onto a transparent cell then flip the cell over and photograph it.
So the artist has to draw the frame mirrored as well as layer their paints accordingly. Takes bloody ages.
There's a reason nobody wants to do traditional cell animation anymore

>Disney hasn't used cel since the Little Mermaid
Looks like somebody got their information from YouTube again.