If you had to convince someone that comics/ graphic novels were good. Your life depends on it...

If you had to convince someone that comics/ graphic novels were good. Your life depends on it. You need to provide them with 10 novels/books that are varied enough to keep them interested.

What 10 books do you suggest?

Me on the left

Hellboy
Judge Dredd
Saga of the Swamp Thing
Daredevil Born Again
Kingdom Come
Watchmen
All Star Superman
Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
a Beano annual from the early 2000s
any Buscema artbook

Some real trash there mixed in with great stuff.

I'd kill myself.

All >dark’n’edgy
No jerk off material

fourth post best post

Swamp Thing and Hellboy are good, but they're some long runs which means you're telling a newcomer "buy hundreds of dollars worth of comics" right off the bat.
Same love for All Star and Kingdom Come, but a newcomer might be out off by all these characters they don't recognize or never heard of. Perhaps a better answer would be good entry level stuff like Batman Year One or Long Halloween.

I'd pick 10 comics and graphic novels based around that person's interests.

Same as if I were recommending books, movies, TV programmes etc.

Swamp Thing is only 6 trades long.

>b-b-but that's 12 comics, not 10!
Yeah, well, who cares? It's not like you're going to read them anyway.

>genrefag
I wouldn't bother with him.

I forget how much Swamp Thing trades are.
I'm fairly sure they're than 5 issues each so they could be $25-30 each.

14-18 a piece.

Nah, it's a DC series, not Marvel.

Thats still nearly $100

Fuck this hobby man. Whys this shit so expensive lmao

I did check on Amazon.
You're right it isn't as high as I said, $20 marked down to around $15.
Reasonable, but still a bit much.
But honestly a whole run would be determined if the person liked the first trade or not, and $15-20 to give it a try isn't SUPER unreasonable.

Man in the highbrow tower

Would you not consider going digital for this to get it cheaper or is that a cardinal sin?

Spread over two months, that's 50 $/month, [insert bulgarian name]. Not that much.

Killing Joke
King's Vision
First Volume of Beasts of Burden
Red Son
First Volume of Simonsons's Thor
Welcome Back Frank
We3
Spider-Man and the X-men
JLA: Year one

Saga of The Swamp Thing
Morrison's Animal Man
Enigma
Moonshadow
Promethea
Sandman
Black Hole
Daytripper
Swallow Me Whole

Not really but digital (unless you mean pirating) means you're committing to the digital app you bought it for. I can only imagine a few people got REALLY screwed over buying on that short lived PSP comic reading app.
Not to mention if you truly enjoy something you wanna show and share it. You can't share a file beyond pirating.

When it comes to digital, it's great for giving stuff a try (pirating) but for owning I always go physical.

How much cheaper is digital though?

Conan v1 (Dark Horse)
Daredevil Born Again
The Dark Knight Returns
Scout
Foolkiller (Steve Gerber)
Akira (Marvel version)
Ronin
Blueberry
Bone
Hitman

IDK I don't buy digital.
Probably a lot at $1.99 or $.99.
I'm not sure if they still do, but DC used to have a deal where you buy physical you get a free digital copy; so find a buddy and bribe him a buck or twofor all his free scans.

But unless they do digital trade bundles the most $ per issue would be fatass omnibus.

>Akira (Marvel version)
Ewww kys

I don't see the point of doing anything other than representing your favorites. Here are the ten books I try to push on people the most. Love & Rockets is obviously a larger commitment but I can't let it go unsaid. Maybe sub out Sacred Heart for Goodnight Punpun or Essex County.

I keep hearing people say it's a bad idea to introduce someone with All-Star Superman, but I have at least three friends who've never read comics but I suggested All-Star Superman too and they loved it.

You are probably good sort, but you’re living in a bubble.

How so?

>not one with good art
I get it liking indie stuff but you seriously need to fix your priorities.

Kamandi
Ditko ASM
Hellboy Conqueror Worm
Morrison Doom Patrol
Megahex
Terry and the Prates (mid to late Caniff) or early Steve Canyon
King City
American Barbarian
Master of King Fu
RT/ Buscema Savage Sword of Conan.
Nausicca
Akira

Oh, I meant to say that I have loaned out Kamandi and Megahex many times, people love that shit, Conan too.
I had a dude stay with me one weekend and spontaneously read the first Kamandi hardback after just grabbing it at random off the shelf.

I get that you're being deliberately yuro, but even then, how does Moebius not meet your standards?

I'm stupid, I didn't notice Moebius.

Good to know. My worries are all in theory so if practice shows success then All Star being open for entry level sounds good to me.

What did you like about Maggie the Mechanic? I stalled out in the first few pages. I like to keep an open mind though, and it’s at the library.

Atomic Robo and other strangeness
Blacksad - Arctic Nation & A Silent Hell
Maus
Batman Year One
V for Vendetta
The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage
The Red Wing
Judge Dredd - Amerika
Aliens - Outbreak

> the bus
you're good people but that's strips but comic books with stories

It's the very beginning of what I consider to be the best comic series of all time. But it is a shaky beginning so I get falling off. Starting off he goes for that sci-fi/Heavy Metal stuff but pretty soon he realizes that the stuff he likes writing is the normal everyday lives of these characters. So the strength of it is these characters and their relationships. It's thoughtful, mature, and intelligent in the way it depicts life and I can't talk about it without gushing because I'm not articulate enough. Give it a shot and pull through to see that come to the forefront. Ideally I'd like you to get to the second volume to see Jaime operating at 100% but he gets pretty close by the end of Maggie the Mechanic so you should at least know if it's for you or not if you give it a real chance.

Holy shit. This thread has some gold.

Wish i could afford all this shit.
Is Comixology the best olace for bargain digital comics?

It also has a ton of crap.

Nobody said these need to have proper stories. If we're introducing someone to the medium, then one of the first tasks should be to strip them of the preconceived notion that comics require stories.

>The Bus
>City of Glass
>Woodring
>Mathieu
>The Initiates

Mah, Sup Forumsmrade. Are you me?

But really, please hang around Sup Forums more often. this place is such a shithole these days.

>Akira (Marvel version)
While yes, this could certainly be on a list if we included manga, Akira, regardless of publisher is pure Sup Forums.

Why would you not include manga? It's the same medium.

That list is pure wrongness for the prompt (and is immediately disqualified for including Sup Forums material). But at least you're honest about it.

Because this is Sup Forums. If you were to ask me about "graphic works" on aboard that wasn't culture-limited, sure. But that's not where we are.

I wouldn't want to teach someone that Japanese comics are any different from comics made anywhere else. They aren't. They're all comics.

OP asked for comics, and Akira is an example of the comics medium. Nowhere in the rules of this thread does it say that only non-Japanese comics are allowed.

That image is from 2015.

The Ring of the Niblung by Craig Russell
Kabuki by David Mack
Black Dog or Cages by Dave McKean
Sandman
A Contract with God 1 and 2 by Eisner
Son of The Gun by Jordoworsky
Indian Summer by Hugo Pratt and Manara
Orbiter by Warren Ellis
Shame by Loverne and John Bolton
For the last probably Chris Ware. Maybe Building Stories even though i havent read that either

I understand where that idea of introducing someone using All Star Superman (ASS, lets call it ASS) being bad comes from, since the the most full experience of the work comes from appreciation of the length of Superman canon (like with many DC morrison works). But unlike other characters, Superman is so goddamn culturally familiar, that the work (unlike many Morrison works) has an immediate accessibility on a certain level to new readers.

I say go for it. They can always re-read it.

Digital also costs the same unless there is a sale on, the sale prices will always beat physical sales.

>rules of this thread
Rules of the bord supercede rules of the thread, especially in spirit.

Not that I really care that much. Not saying Akira is bad. I love Otomo.

Do you think anyone's gonna recommend any comics to someone asking for manga recommendations?

>Not really but digital (unless you mean pirating) means you're committing to the digital app you bought it for. I can only imagine a few people got REALLY screwed over buying on that short lived PSP comic reading app.
Comixology offers DRM-free downloads of your purchases.

Unless you're buying Marvel and DC comics, but what kind of fool buys any comic which isn't creator-owned?

>That image is from 2015.
Ok, but I assume the poster with the great taste posted it now and is probably still alive.

Technically, yes.

Except it's never hapenned. Ever.

nice try Sup Forums. An american publisher doesn't magically turn the work into a Western comic.

Every recommendation of manga is also a recommendation of comics, because manga are comics.

Nope, it's just an automated bot.

No but I also wouldn't recommend fumetti in a bande desinee thread. But I have no problem recommending any nation's comics in a comic recommendation thread.

Trouble
Marville
That one with the animals where the dad goes to jail for raping a kid and the mom has to prostitute herself etc
All of the worst Crossed books

They'll be made to suffer as much as possible before they kill me.

>telling a newcomer to buy comics at all
That's definitely the wrong way to do it.

10 things that's a pretty tall order

Bone
Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil
Akira
Red Son Superman
Deadpool Joe Kelly mini run
Genshiken
Valve Comic Collection
Chew
Killing Joke
Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

How can you tell?

No one said it was a Western comic but that thread is about comics in general so there is no reason to exclude those from a certain country.

You mean comics are manga, you appropriating son of a bitch!

Jesus, it's not that hard. I love manag too. But I don't talk about it here (unless it's specifically in discussion related to a western work). Do I have to post the Sup Forums board rules:
>Sup Forums - Comics & Cartoons. Images and discussion should pertain to media of Western origin.

It's pretty explicit. That's why when you post Sup Forums stuff you get pushback. Know where you are.

Fuck the rules, mate.

Essex County.
Sandman.
From Hell.
Kingdom Come.
Nemesis The Warlock.
Rumble.
The Flash by Manapul.
Cages.
Moore's Swamp Thing.
Enemy Ace War Idyll.

And also recognize that when people don't want to talk about Sup Forums stuff here (manga or anime), they're not necessarily implying that it's bad or you have bad taste (even if they shit on you - I mean it is Sup Forums), it means that you're posting topics that are meant for another board. Don't take offense to comments like that (and don't take offense to anything online for that matter, way better way to live your life).

Not that user but This is a general about comic recommendations. And OP specifically said to choose a varied selection to show them different aspects of the medium. You are getting far to worked up over this

>Kingdom Come.
>Rumble.
>The Flash by Manapul.
I cringed so hard I broke a rib.

Just pointing out the rules. I'm not a mod. I'm not going to ban you even if you do run around this thread waving a katana. There's just been a large amount of either new posters or Sup Forums spillover to Sup Forums lately. Maybe both.

Not that user. I've actually expressed the fact that I think comics and manga should be combined in one board with anime and cartoons in another.
However
Don't assume that someone asking for comic book recommendations hasn't read manga already. For a newcomer you're not doing them any favors because you're already recommending one of the most popular manga ever on top of saying " you want a short list of must read comics? well, there aren't that many so I'll throw a manga in there too."

Swamp Thing
Vigilante
Spectacular Spider-man (Mantlo)
Hellboy
Sandman
JLA: International
Watchmen
All Star Superman
Gwenpool
Animal Man

Can both of you shut the fuck up and recommend comics instead?

I actually did. More than that I actually recommended COMICS. Now stop crying about not having an argument.

Post part 2

That's my thought as well. A western comic rec had to die for you to put Akira or whatever on the list.

Shit, he's right. We're almost at bump limit. Gotta get my last comics recs in there.

I think the goal was to create a list which is deliberately and explicitly unfinished, to encourage you to discover more works on your own.

And as a "fuck you" to all those lists which act like they're complete but really aren't.

>I actually did. More than that I actually recommended COMICS.
So did the person recommending Akira.

Nope.

Sure, but let's be honest. Posting Sup Forums on Sup Forums is a surefire way to derail a perfectly good thread.

Maybe not do that next time.

Please explain to me how
>Conan v1 (Dark Horse)
>Daredevil Born Again
>The Dark Knight Returns
>Scout
>Foolkiller (Steve Gerber)
>Ronin
>Blueberry
>Bone
>Hitman
aren't comics.

Or admit that you've been shitposting aimlessly and apologize.

The person posting Akira didn't derail the thread. The person having a shitfit against Akira derailed the thread. Blame the latter, not the former.

not that user, but in terms of the thread, this isn't a terribly varied list. They're all adventure/strongman/badass comics of one shape or another. Not really a variation of genre much.

The poster didn't shit on akira, just that akira is Sup Forums not Sup Forums.

I already did, if you refuse to read a post and just want to shitpost then go ahead.

But they're still comics, and "that user" is saying that they aren't comics.

Refresh my memory, how are Blueberry or Bone not comics?

You're just shitposting now.

Calvin & Hobbes
Asterix (Goscinny)
Yotsuba
Usagi Yojimbo

I can't think of any more on the top of my head.
Was going for something that anyone (no matter age, gender, interests) would enjoy from page 1.

It is about varied comics. Blueberry is probably the only one on the list that deserves to be there

>varied comics
That might be what you personally want to see, but "that user" is saying that none of those are comics at all. It's really quite bizarre to see.

I'd be a little more generous and say you could make the argument for bone being there too. But overall, that list has bad sameface.