When will we get a show on Cartoon Network that doesn't look like utter shit?

When will we get a show on Cartoon Network that doesn't look like utter shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eXoaIHtGgmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vYTpHP4W1-w
frankrause.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When we get art teachers in the art schoolsthat won't pass anyone who draws this happy circle shit.

>anime style
>ANIME IS SHIT
>realistic style
>TRY SOMETHING UNIQUE
>sameface calarts bullshit
>YEP

Art teachers are a joke

Because animations is a thankless job and only sad people do it.

When they decide to start paying for higher quality stuff.

But networks know that kids will watch just about anything you put them in front of, so to them it's just easier to cut corners and aim for something adequate rather than amazing.

Steven Universe, in most cases, looks very good. There is a problem with storyboarders not sticking to canon sizes or looks, and throwing their own micro-style into the show, but it looks good.

Over the Garden Wall was extremely beautiful, and appropriately brief.

Craig of the Creek looks very clean, Gumball is consistent and beautiful, We Bare Bears looks great, Regular Show looked great, Adventure Time spawned its own style and influences, etc.

Posting a single image of a show is just blatant strawmanning. This "Cal-arts" meme needs to die. You could point out similarities between any art style and summarize it into a "problem", but the truth is that you like to complain about nothing while bringing nothing.

Even if there is a "cal-arts" face or design or whatever, then it could just be a style that reigns for a decade before dying off. Animation used to be filled with psuedo-anime and sharp edges. People like to ride trends or styles because they feel as if they could contribute something new to it. If you really hate every show on CN right now, then make up your superior art style, and pitch your show.

God, I love you.

>Steven Universe, in most cases, looks very good
*In most cases before the end of the first season

I see the CN shills are already here.

art teachers have been trying for ages for kids to stop drawing anime shit
it hasn't worked

in this part of the country?

>Steven Universe, in most cases, looks very good.

the korean text says "hamburgers." that's a phone background i made, feel free to use it if you like it,

Soon

it does,its just that the townie episodes look like fucking garbage because nobody in the crew actually wants to draw them. And to be fair, with shit scripts like those, if i was them i would also be a lazy fuck.
In the important episodes they look fine,but yes,it should be the rule with all episodes,regardless of their worth.

What are some examples of good looking cartoons?

The background is the only good looking thing in that image

The Loud House

i actually made this chart for another thread but might as well.
In the end it all depends in your taste i guess.

sure, there's plenty of issues with height inconsistencies, proportion issues, line weight (usually all in rough draft episodes), but the show's art style can still look really good sometimes.

not really

>tfw the first picture of steven towering over the counter is the actual anomaly

If everyone drew Anime cartoons would cease to exist.

The problem is that it's sometimes and not always. People exaggerate, because of course they do, but it is a problem the show has.
And if you are i would only say that i dont like how craig of the creek looks, specially because it looks like every SU townie if it was a show

Funny that the only times where thats the case is episdoes when Rebecca is involved

Cartoons aren't supposed to look good, Artistic ability or not, they were never intended for you to wank to them but to sit children in front of the TV.

yeah, definitely. it worked in the first season, when the show presumably had a higher budget, but eventually the quirks kinda went to shit.

this is a great opinion because its context on this board undermines its own thesis.

all because of bauhouse and postmodernism Eh, craig doesn;t look that great. We bare bears has a very lacking style. it tries to have that simplistic style but fails. OTGW was amazing though.

>it does,its just that the townie episodes look like fucking garbage because nobody in the crew actually wants to draw them.
That's no excuse for sloppy work. A lot of episodes are townie episodes. If the artists don't care about their show, why should we? Filler episodes can be really good, but the fact the scripts and storyboards are terrible shows how weak the show is. How little the writers care is a huge problem for the shows quality. They make people wait months for episodes that the artists barely even TRY on, it hurts the show.
also i don't hate SU. It's just disappointing that it could be SO much better, but no one working on the show cares that much, though to be fair neither does the obsessive fanbase

Eh i agree with some of these, besides final space, archer, and villainous (in my opinion). a lot of shows look super good but CN misses the mark a lot.

I'm not a huge fan of the style of SU. The background art is amazing though.

>when the show presumably had a higher budget,

The show changed art directors about two times

i believe art directors are more responsible for backgrounds, and character/prop design than the actual animation. the lineart + "on model"ness started sharply falling, especially in rough draft episodes, starting in season 2, which i believe either has to be a budget issue or a time constraint issue.

Art directors work with the visual style in general. Thats why the first half of 1A was very clearly using Kevin Dart's very unique style of lighting and framing. I'd also like to add that the show also saw large shifts in story boarding staff over the course of the show as well. The current season of SU has very little people who were boarders since the beginning.

oh, that first half's something kinda separate from what i was on about. personally i'm still p satisfied with the show's current art direction.

the show has actually managed to keep plenty of storyboarders from season one (as of now i believe it's 5 s1 boarders to 3 s2+ boarders). while i'm sure some have maybe suffered some art degradation, the drop in quality in rough draft episodes doesn't do them any favors. it's not really anything they could control for now, but i hope they realize that episodes done there don't look as good, and either switch to another studio, increase the budget again, or make the boarders board *slightly* more on model, just to compensate.

When 8-year olds show up on Sup Forums bitching about animation quality.

*Not counting those who are mentally 8, mind you. We've got enough of those already.*

I seriously hope you aren't talking animation or character design wise.

Fuck off with your "shill" mongering, you faggot.

>"As long as you're shilling for the studio, take as long of a lunch as you want."

I don't even hate the artstyle, but the animation is so fucking bad it's genuinely inexcusable. Simple designs should lead to better animation, not the half baked shit they're spewing out now.

What could've been
youtube.com/watch?v=eXoaIHtGgmQ

youtube.com/watch?v=vYTpHP4W1-w

TTG has good designs. Gumball used to be good too.

>9064741▶
>
>The show changed art directors about two times
way more than that actually:
Kevin Dart was art director on the first 12 episodes
Elle Michalka was art director for the rest of season 1 (both first and second halves)
Jasmine Lai was art director from the season 2 premier to Bismuth
Ricky Cometa was art director from Beta to Room for Ruby
Elle became art director again for Lion 4 to I Am My Mom
Liz Artinian became art director with Wanted
Elle, Jasmine, and Ricky were all BG painters prior to becoming art directors, while Liz had been color supervisor on Venture Bros

Damn I miss Billy and Mandy. The show was funny as fuck.

Remember Ben Bates from the Archie Sonic and Mega Man comics? He recently got the job as a character/prop designer on this show

Never.

Daily reminder that this is the guy who approves portfolios for the character animation program at CalArts.

frankrause.tumblr.com/

>buh buh muh Ian and Rebecca didn't go to CalArts
They still draw in a CalArts style regardless ever since they moved to LA

What's good about this image. The drawings are total shit, and the proportions are once again retarded with Steven having a gigantic head compared to other characters. Only the background looks any good and it's still a far cry from the backgrounds by Kevin Dart in season 1.

final space doesn't deserve to be there and arguably archer too although I love it. the summoning is just generic calarts crap.

can't hate on your other choices too much

what a whore

There is nothing wrong with this post

Steven universe looks good when you ignore the characters.

Unkitty looks good. It's nothing special, and definitely not amazing, but the art is nice to look at and matches the tone of the show.

>calarts style
You mean the Disney/Pixar style since that's where the bulk of their animators come from?

Oh no you mean some TV shit.

i completely understand why you dont like final space´s art style but to me its like a cleaner and better version from rick and morty´s art style. I do like gross dumb designs but rick and morty fucks it up a lot, while final space has a neat balance. I like more the aliens than the humans on the show.
But thats just me.

There's multiple instances of good animation in the show.

If everyone drew Cartoons anime would cease to exist.

"the calarts meme needs to die!"
who said it was a meme and a lot of modern cartoons look like shit so I don't get why people get so pissed about it

>You mean the Disney/Pixar style since that's where the bulk of their animators come from
You mean "go too".

Add CN to that list since most of their recent original series are either made by CalArts graduates (AT, RS, Flapjack, Over the Garden Wall, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, etc) or directed by CalArts grads (Steven Universe, OK KO)

Yeah but the only way Anime could stop existing is if Japan didn't existed, while the rest of the world could ditch cartoons completely.

not counting all character models
not even mentioning how often they go off-model, they're hideously designed
>We Bare Bears looks great, Regular Show looked great
stop lying
>Adventure Time spawned its own style and influences
hipsters copy horrible things other hipsters do all the damned time. why do you think gauges are a thing

no, you're just autistic

That's how cartoons are supposed to look like genius.

Joe Johnston (who did go to calarts) didn't become a director on SU until Ian JQ left, and even then only half of the post-Ian eps are directed by him (the other half are directed by Kat Morris, who went to SVA)
Toby Jones (OK KO's director) went to MCAD

only gonna try for modern day shows
I like the Wakfu/Dofus series' art style, albeit the animation comes off pretty bad to me sometimes.
probably because it's pretty heavily done with just computers

Wonder Over Yonder had a great look to it

TMNT '12 had a pretty good style. definitely better than its successor

and Motorcity looked pretty awesome

still, most of these are originally from half a decade ago or longer. art standards have severely declined

If you were smart, and you clearly arent because you watch CN, you would have made this line the last part of your post so I would have been duped into reading the rest of it.

no, it really can't

Would you, Sup Forums?

that's just how CN operates. If you don't like it, don't watch it. There's plenty of alternatives.

As an art teacher, I can't stand anime art styles.
You can tell a character design is bad when it doesn't adhere to the silhouette test and can be placed in plenty of different shows without looking out of place.

>it does
>post shitty looking image
Shiggy diggy

You posted one. OK KO has some of the most dynamic animation of this decade, and visually engaging scene composition rather regularly. The boarders are incredibly creative with how they portray the characters emotions visually and while there are a few moment where characters look distractingly off, for the most part the show is impressive and interesting
>cartoons arent supposed to look good
You're retarded
>they were never intended for you to wank to
>masturbation is the only reason art should look good
Yeah man, fuck Rembrandt
But. Anime is cartoons.
Anime is not a style.

Post examples then

Why would I do that? The show is laden with them.

its like you dont like cartoons

Just by that image I wish to never know anything else about that person. Ever.

Not every anime is a generic high school anime

I'd say before 2000 a large majority of anime characters would pass that test.

>not liking shitty cartoons means not liking cartoons at all

The fact that you can't easily post something proves there's none.

Tell me the picture you posted is not related to your point, because it's fucking terrible.

>calling every cartoon you see shitty
honestly I'll take anything thats not TTG like a drink of the gods b/c CNN doesn't shower more cartoons
>I"m a biter ol' cucumber stewing in fucking vinegar, any kinda drink is welcome as long as its not piss

>having Stockholm Syndrome so severe that anything but the worst is good enough

Olivia, GTFO

>some of the most dynamic animation of this decade, and visually engaging scene composition
why do you feel the need to lie?

and now they would largely fail

Unikitty exist OP

I dunno, when's your dad gunna stop raping you?

Ya think they ever have orgies on that couch thingy?

How about you apply yourself and do better.

>chart
It's more of a collage.

You tried your best.

>why don't people work harder on stuff I'm gonna steal off the internet
Idiot

You know full well being a cheap kike has nothing to do with the return on investment rates your will get.

It's very cheap to draw these, and people in general just don't care. That's the whole reason it exists.

Ryann Shannon a cute

Oh go have a cookie and change your diaper.

>having standards makes you a baby
They say CNfags are braindead and I'm starting to believe it's not far from being literal.

Steven Universe doesn't look that bad

t. plebian
There are plenty of modern anime with designs that pass the test. You just need to actually look.

The STATE of art teachers

and for every one of those, there's dozens that don't

What classifies as a good looking cartoon for you?

>Would you, Sup Forums?
fuck yea, man

>with shit scripts like those
SU has scripts? Isn't it a storyboard-driven show?

I could throw my examples of designs that pass from anime that people actually watch while you throw designs that don't from SoL crap no-one watches, but honestly that would go nowhere.

Just tell your students to use the test instead of decrying an entire style like a twat.