youtu.be/OZK27hsCcDo
youtu.be/uLJVqFAPaxU
youtu.be/P2iCJVqHqRo
youtu.be/20f6_qnaLD4
youtu.be/9t-pATq6c5k
youtu.be/gCusehQROC8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>spoiler
I don't know, 80% of what comes out have been pretty cookie cutter recently, with exception of maybe a handful.

Anime is really unambitious too though. There are more gems currently than in Burger shows, but a lot of it is just
>Boring SoL that does nothing and has no compelling characters
>Some battle anime about an otakushit self insert where everybody monologues and spouts platitudes to save the budget
>Dude DEATH GAMES lmao; characters written to be total geniuses but are really boring

Euro cartoons are probably the best right now

anime is unambitious because pretty much every one looks the same. i'd rather a show look like shit than be a copy of everything else

Western cartoons are only allowed to be babbie shit or edgy, nihilistic sitcoms with a wicked sense of humor. Anime is a very cliché-ladden medium but it still has lots of variety.

low effort is more profitable
colorful wacky characters sell toys
target audience don't give a shit about writing
easier to show reruns than innovate
executives are hired to make money not quality

Oh come on. The same can be said for cartoons too

DUDE TOURNAMENT ARCS LMAO

Nobody cares about other fucking countries

The most murrican post ever

Ok Ko is more ambitious than all anime released in the last 25 years

the faces still look pretty similar in those, like you could immediately tell they came from japan no doubt about it

American cartoons aren't unambitious you're just upset not everything looks like "muh superior jap animuu folded over 2000 times."

>children's cartoon based on surface level video game/anime references with an horrible art style is """""ambitious"""""

it depends on the boarder

>something that borrows a shit ton from anime is more ambitious than anime

That's like saying Pixar looks the same as Blu Sky.
Yea, if you're visually taste blind to nearly everything but "big eyes and thin lines"

you described maybe 1/4 of seasonal shows

Mira is by far the best boarder on OK KO, but most of the others are perfectly good and what they do. The entire show does a great job of having every scene be more interesting than "mouth flaps and sound is made" that passes for animation in lower quality media.

Holy fuck do you work on the show or something. It is not as good of a show as you're making it out to be. Gumball is still leaps and bounds better even in its current state.

wew imagine typing this out

3/4ths, more like.

yes cause my little sister can't be this cute was a masterpiece of animation

Look at these non-arguments.

Oreimo was 7 years ago.

No point in arguing with a toddler

How can you be more ambitious than what you're based on in your entirety? Shit, how is a Slice of Lifeification of a battle shonen ambitious?
A ton of battle shonen HAVE slice of life arcs.

Gumball is adhd flash animated pandering garbage for manchildren that love anime. at least when ok ko makes the references the people writing it are in on the joke, gumball writers just reach and reach and try and be as relatable as possible.

Japanese cartoons aren't any more ambitious. Don't kid yourself.

Ah yes funny meme faces and political commentary with barely any movement, stiff characters, and mouthflapping.

If it was s1 or 2 I might agree with you but in later seasons the characters are just incredibly rigid puppets and even the riot was just repeated animations in the background overlayed character mouth flapping.

Imitating the Dark Age of Comics is the opposite of being ambitious.

Because you only pay attention to the top of the crop when it comes to yurocartoons and animu while you have full exposure to run-of-the-mill american cartoons.
Most of the production in Europe and Japan is generic, cheap and crap and that's why nobody talks about it in places like this where they are not the focus or where exposure is somewhat artificial.

>and that's why nobody talks about it in places like this where they are not the focus or where exposure is somewhat artificial
wow it's almost like we're on a board for western comics and cartoons...

Meh, I just binge watch cartoons and anime and play video games and enjoy having a life.
No need to listen to angry teenagers being jaded about nothing.

>Because you only pay attention to the top of the crop when it comes to yurocartoons and animu
>Animu
Sir, we are on Sup Forums.

It’s far easier to get anime on TV
Any semi-successful manga has a shot at it. Meanwhile in America if it’s not a SoL comedy aimed at children chances are no one will want it

ONE managed to get two well-produced anime based off his works, imagine trying to pitch anything like that to American producers

Jeez why is Sup Forums so defensive these days? I prefer western stuff but it's straight inferior in terms of variety and production quality. I wish the west would put half the effort the japs do into their cartoons so I could finally have some quality animation that isn't slathered in unbearable japanese tropes. Europe/France come really close but even their market isn't as retardedly huge.

Yeah, and I don't see Sup Forums ever bringing up Sazae-San or Crayon Shin-Chan despite these being the longest running shows and the most watched.
This is a niche forum used by a niche audience that cares about a very specific type of media.
Also, Sup Forums is a weeb-bashing zone because we're all weebs and we all hate ourselves, so that's only logical.

I actually like what Disney and TBS is airing. It's just that this board is full with little angry teenagers who don't know where to find cartoons and anime for free. The angry losers literally still watch TV channels like cartoon network for real and then complain about it daily, instead of simply watching the tons of other shit that airs all the time.

Well while we're having this autistic thread let's post best (relatively recent) western animation
youtu.be/zA9zwpMj_8A
youtu.be/ypLLO3wU0jE
youtu.be/OZK27hsCcDo
youtu.be/uLJVqFAPaxU
youtu.be/P2iCJVqHqRo
youtu.be/20f6_qnaLD4
youtu.be/9t-pATq6c5k

>it's straight inferior in terms of variety and production quality
>Why won't people agree with my wrong opinion
K fag

>But Sup Forums doesn't talk about this
But Sup Forums does talk about stuff like Gintama, Detective Conan, the Lupin The 3rd eras, and such.
>Sup Forums is a weeb-bashing zone because we're all weebs and we all hate ourselves, so that's only logical.
Fuck off with your ironic loathing cunt, I stopped being a weeaboo when I was 15.

I should have probably specified *genre* variety

>two of them are based off Japanese IPs
try again

>Castlevania
That show didn't have good animation at all

A few scenes did though.
Still made by americans, the quality of their animation has nothing to do with their IP

Castlevania confuses me. It has all the right frames for smooth animation but the frame speed is so slow it looks like it's stuttering all the time. If they just sped it up it wouldn't look so janky.

This youtu.be/gCusehQROC8 was posted in another thread and was really good

Almost everything about that show was a mess. Hopefully they fix it

>OK KO
>more ambitious than stuff like Turn A Gundam or Big O, or even shit like Code Geass
OK

Ignores the large variety of designs within those shows, not to mention between them

Anime ≠ Japanese cartoons

You heard it right, the Japanese are able to make cartoons.

Anime is an art movement and a medium, but Japanese are well suited to make cartoons as well.

>literally redraw gumball to fit it's narrative.

What about pic related

Its been changing the anime industry

I am just here because of top 10 most creepiest posts on Sup Forums, I am from wizarchan a place were we talk about paranormal stuff and Luciferanianism.

Castelvania may be western but is not a cartoon, is western Anime, cartoons are supposed to be ugly like this.

delet this

>western Anime
Now that you mention it, the best cartoon of "recent" years, Avatar TLA, is a fucking western anime.
Kinda makes you think...

They draw badly on purpose, so I guess it kind of counts as a cartoon?

Because it is not a cartoon, is a very basic, baby's first Anime.

Exactly.

america let its artists and writers get too uppity and spread the meme that expecting people to have a work ethic is "abuse" and "ebil capitalism", and by consequence they became pretty much useless and there's not much that can be done about it now that they're used to cushy schedules and nonexistent quality standards

Because in America, cartoons are still viewed as a "kid" thing. Cartoons and animation in general are "for kids", for the most part. Hence, nobody is really willing to make anything extraordinary since most cartoons are just cheap comedies or only being made to push a toy line.

This is why shit like the Lion King live action movie is allowed to exist, most adult westerners think they can't take anything seriously unless it is made in live action.

Which is true.

This a hundred times
Each year about 120 anime shows air. Even if 90% of it was shit, the fact that 10% is ok or better means you get about 12 or more good series a year, which is even more series than american cartoons getting released in a year

Anime is Japanese cartoons.
Popee is anime.
Anime is not a style.
Japanese can create cartoons. Those cartoons are called anime.

even bottom of the barrel garbage that is shart out by shit-tier studios like Toei, Deen or Pierrot have better production values than OK KO

God, can you please just use a trip so I can fucking filter your autism.

Avatar is a cartoon. It can't be anime it's not made in Japan. Stop this autism. Go back to Sup Forums.

TTG is the DB Super of the western cartoons

Are these all from 2016? How the fuck are you supposed to keep up with all this?

How am I supposed to watch my cartoons without 6 month long hiatuses?!
Maybe you should start reading Berserk or Hunter x Hunter.

This is a very weak argument, every single Animation that comes from Japan would be technically Anime but you know very well Anime as we know it, as an Artistic medium has its set of visuals conventions and strives for idealistic perfection and it is all based in reality, as an Improvement of it. (my pet theory is that Anime was created due to Japanese Inability to compete with Hollywood in the movie scene and evolved from there)

Only the single eyed one is ugly, unless you are gay and you like the guys.

You make artists sound like they're actually niggers.

"Anime" is an art movement, a visual medium that is not only constrained to Japan, right now, Anime is being made in Chine and Korea, not outsourced to, but from the ground-up.

It is not exclusive to Japan and not everything that is Animated in Japan is Anime.

Imagine being this stupid

(Thee)

>this is less ambitious than a cartoon that can't even carry over the good parts of the media they're trying to copy

I know it's hard bait but I just can't help it.

>I wish the west would put half the effort the japs do into their cartoons so I could finally have some quality animation that isn't slathered in unbearable japanese tropes
This for real. I like both western animation and anime but holy fuck the west needs to catch up in terms of art design and animation. No one's bothering to make anything look presentable anymore.

>it's not anime if it isn't generic shit

I just want more cartoons that have actual plot, character development and continuity. All this "dude the best part is you can just watch any episode it doesn't matter LOL" shit sucks.
I mean I like old mecha anime and most of those are MOTW but even those have beginning, middle and end.

Yes. That's what anime is. Every single animation that comes from Japan.

Anime was created because animation was getting popular everywhere and Japan decided to do it too, and many popular Japanese creators took inspiration from western media and vice versa but because they and most of the west have their own distinct cultures there are general trends between the two of them but there is no hard line between the styles of Japanese cartoons and American cartoons and even within both of them there is a large degree of variance in the styles they can and do have.

Dragon Ball became the anti-Sonic recently

>DB games are decent while Sonic games are garbage
>DB animation is garbage while Sonic animation is decent

>Sonic games
>garbage
Plebian opinions.

I throw up a little in my mouth whenever a burger compares their garbage animation to anything France and Japan has put out on the last few decades

B-but muh comedy episodic toons

look at this nigga and laugh

Id get that checked out.

Define ambitious. Because most of the time these boil down to sex appeal

same. the very idea is frankly laughable

What do you mean?
Do you mean recent anime are only ambitious about sex appeal? Or do you mean all anime is like that?
Recently I don't know, I haven't watched much of recent anime, but saying that about all anime is just fucking stupid.

Character design in the west is absolute crap, what are they teaching them? I doubt they are taught basics of Anatomy, perspective and lighting.

The only thing European animation has going for it is looser standards

The characters are fully proportionate, the actions require more complicated poses, staging beyond 3/4th sitcom view.