Imprison an evil

>imprison an evil
>when you can just kill it instead

Your tax dollars at work, everyone.

I don't think either of those men are powered by my tax dollars.

Most of those evils have plot devices that protect them from definitive death, and characters know their own destiny enough not to try to bend it.
Imagine that Zuko had tried to kill Ozai in Avatar or Han Solo tried to legit kill Darth Vader in Empire. They'd have died instead.
If Batman tried to kill the Joker he'd just miraculusly escape or would leave us with an ambiguous ending where his body is never found.
You gotta think of how stories work.

what comic is that

well, i mean he did try and shoot Vader, i can't imagine his intent was anything other than to kill.

There are times when something cannot be killed, and only contained. And then there are instances where killing an evil beckons an even greater evil to take its place. The universe hates a vacuum

>Hero, hear this tale.
>Long ago, the Ancient Order of Vagueness saw that the Super Evil Bad Dude's power was too great.
>So using a ritual, they bound him with in this mountain or whatever.
>Now he is free, and he will
>Killed him.
>What?
>Yeah, that was easy. Why didn't they just kill him? He dropped this bitching hat too.

If you kill your enemies, they win.

I always thought it was like collecting pokemon.

When one eldritch horror shows up you legit have trouble beating, you just let loose the other eldritch horror. And then you beat the weakened loser.

Kind of like having a supernatural nuclear bomb.

Not only is the Fenris Wolf pretty much Odin's grandson, I'd imagine he's a contingency plan in case he wanted to jumpstart Ragnarok

What on Earth gave you the idea that Han wasn't trying to kill Vader in that scene?

But gave up rather quickly. Granted, he lost his blaster, but he could've tried to stab him or something. There were knives for dinner. The point is he knew when not to press the issue and just be taken prisoner instead of dying a heroic death.
A mistake he made later on in TFA, when he believed the story was about him instead of the new kids and bit it.

See

But your point was that without plot armor Han would have killed Vader, but even if Han had gone berserk and tried to murder Vader with anything there, he wouldn't have made it past an inch without getting shot by Boba Fett or the Stormtroopers, or getting thrown around with the force by Vader, or whatever the fuck.
I know I'm being pedantic but it really is kind of a bad example.

>even if Han had gone berserk and tried to murder Vader with anything there, he wouldn't have made it past an inch without getting shot by Boba Fett or the Stormtroopers
Exactly my point. Plot armor. If fucking stormtroopers shoot you what more proof do you need.

Avengers: Back To Basics, digital only

>Zuko had tried to kill Ozai in Avatar
actually in the specific scene where Zuko almost did, it was one where he would have easily killed Ozai, as neither of them could Bend, and Zuko was armed with weapons that he was very skilled in the use of(while Ozai was unarmed), indeed it's a What-If point that I'm surprised I've never seen anyone use for a Fanfic or something

It's a fence to keep things out not a jail to keep things in. Fenris is part of the Utgard, the area outside the village as opposed to the Midgard which literally means "inhabited." Of course there are wolves outside the village. And of course they will kill the village when the fences fall.

The Norse were big on destiny.

Fenrir was destined to die in Ragnarok, so they chained him up so he wouldn't fuck shit up until then.

>easily
But he didn't because he knew he wouldn't actually kill him. Ozai would've disarmed him and captured him (Because people sort of not get killed on screen in Avatar). He knew his father was the main villain and only the main character could've defeated him.

Literally listening to Fenris' story in an audiobook read and written by bestboy Gaiman right this second. Bretty cool story.

Makes sense from that perspective. If you try to kill Fenrir, the possible outcomes are failing or triggering the end of the world. Better to just lock him up.

EXACTLY

A lot of Asgardian things are truly immortal, or can be reborn somewhere new where they're unchecked and out of control.

>Creatures of story
>ever truly dying

>duuhhhh DUURRRRRR WHY NOT JUST KILL FENRIS LMAO LMAO LMAO
you have clearly not read that particular Myth. Fenris Wolf cannot be killed by anyone born yet and could barely be imprisoned

I LOVE magic based on necessity.

Sounds like some Mary Sue shit.

Yes, Fenrir is a total mary sue. You're smart and people like you.

Although a filler book, ironically better than any flagship title.

>you have clearly not read that particular Myth
>Fenris Wolf cannot be killed by anyone born yet and could barely be imprisoned
It sounds like you're the one who doesn't know myths well considering it's well establshed Tyr is the one who will kill Fenris.

Tyr helped bind Fenris in the first place at the cost of a hand. He winds up getting eaten by a different giant dog.

Vidar is the god who kills Fenris by planting his super boot (which has a giant heel made of all the scraps of leftover leather collected by the gods just for this moment) on the lower jaw of the wolf and, with one hand no less, ripping the top part of his head clean off.

I don't mind this trope of imprisonment, but I do hate it when they are actually killable though.

This. The #1 go to for defeating immortals is just imprisoning them. Odin isn't on our tax payroll btw

hold on, I have just the weapon to stop this threat!

>kill
>a force of nature
>kill the ability for things to decay
>kill the possibility of forgetting bad memories
>kill the option of being wrong
>kill the regression into self

Why doesnt the big green guy with literally infinite strength just start punching its eyes until it goes back in the ground?

Well they're gods

Because years of doing that has learnt him that it doesn't always work

that's not what plot armor means you stupid fuck