I work for Geonet, a government agency which monitors earthquakes in New Zealand

I work for Geonet, a government agency which monitors earthquakes in New Zealand.

Things are going crazy at the moment. The earthquake that hit on Monday morning is an incredibly unusual sequence. We've never seen anything like it in New Zealand. Initially we saw two simultaneous severe earthquakes (Magnitude 6.2 and 7.5 respectively) on opposite sides of the country, which shook for approximately 2 minutes, followed by aftershocks across the country of varying magnitude. The sizes and frequencies of the aftershocks are unique among existing data.

Currently Geonet is not allowed to make any public statements without government approval as they don't want us to spark a panic. The problem is that there is a high probability (our best guesses say at least 70% chance) of the Alpine fault unzipping. If this was to unzip, it would destroy Wellington and possibly Christchurch. The problem is we cannot evacuate the cities just because an earthquake "might" happen, especially since we have never observed such an event and so there is a lot of uncertainty in our models.

The fault unzips every 100 to 350 years, and the last time it did was 299 years ago. When it ruptures, we expect an earthquake of magnitude 8.5-9.5, however it would cause much more destruction than a usual quake of this size since Wellington lies on many connected faults faults.

The expected death toll of an unzipping is between 1000-50,000 depending on the severity.

I know this sounds like bullshit but if any anons here live in Christchurch or Wellington I'd strongly suggest you move to another city as soon as possible.

If an unzipping event does occur it will likely be within a few months to a year. You should not take for granted that the aftershocks stop. If you value your life you seriously need to get the fuck out of Wellington.

Other urls found in this thread:

geonet.org.nz/
youtube.com/watch?v=isl1Gtg74e4&t=13s
nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11749215
space.com/34714-supermoon-science-nasa-explains-closest-full-moon.html
newshub.co.nz/nznews/destiny-church-leader-brian-tamaki-blames-earthquake-on-gays-2016111614
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia_(continent)
theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/09/moon-tide-earthquakes/499637/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pic related

>The expected death toll of an unzipping is between 1000-50,000 depending on the severity.
Well, that's not too bad.

Who cares.. Hobbits aren't real anyway

is this a meme? or are you the same person posting each time. ive acctually been quite worried about this

There was a Geonetfag writing the same thing a week or so back. Proof please.

same person. I'm calling within 2 weeks judged on the frequency and highly irregular earthquake sequences from both sides of the country at the same time.

Here's the link to the quakes in realtime: geonet.org.nz/

Is dunedin safe?

i live on the edge of that red circle, opotiki. should i be worried?

No, but you'll feel it. Just like most of New Zealand felt last weeks 7.8 quake.

are the auckland volcanoes going to blow

larpers gonna larp

>opotiki.
I feel bad for you in so many ways

Capped this for future reference in case you are right.

Stay safe kiwi-user

yeah your full of shit. Opotiki is literally in a swamp surrounded my rivers man. we fucked no matter what

Well it's a good thing I visited Christchurch before it sank into the ocean

>The sizes and frequencies of the aftershocks are unique among existing data.
really? it looks pretty similar to the 2013 quake so far.

and its half maori

Run!

Ops bating hard he just wants to keep all the jobs to him self
im onto u fgt

The earthquake was a clear message to the powers that were, there is no refuge, they will be smoked out of any bunker any hole.

Someone posted this exact thing a few days ago, we'll need proof.

Who cares Wellington and Christchurch are shit anyway, Auckland is the only place in new Zealand that matters
t. Aucklander

the flood is the only freedom from this living

Yeah we just jiggle their dort with HAARP and shit.

>I know this sounds like bullshit
you redditors still try too hard

your not wrong auckland does have almost has double as many whites as CHCH

*unzips dick

>Australian plate

have the bantz gone to far?

>pretending to be able to predict earthquakes
my sides, keep being delusional kiwi, you can't predict earthquakes. Funny how all earthquake researchers are always waiting for "the big one" yet it never comes. In Istanbul they've been waiting for a "big one" for like 20 years.

you can predict them tho
this was created only 3 weeks ago

youtube.com/watch?v=isl1Gtg74e4&t=13s

Haven't you cunts also got some supervolcano on the south island that could go off with geological activity?

no its lake taupo in the north island will erupt and last time that happened it fucked up weather patterns that they recorded in rome and china

>2016: the year of Brexit, Trump, and New Zealand disappearing into the sea.
I'm glad I was alive for this.

M8 our entire population is 4.4 million. That's a lot.

20 years is an incredibly small amount of time when you're talking of things of that scale.

the economy would be really fucked

GET EM KEK!!!!

KILL ALL THOSE ZOOLANDERS!!!

KILL THEM ALL!!

THEN WASH AWAY THE CORPSES WITH A BITCHIN TSUNAMI!

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!
ALSO YOURE NEXT CALIFORNIA!!!

your countries economy would crash if it wasnt for us kiwis coming over there to work your mines while you shitpost all day

Well, the population of Wellington is 400000, even if 50000 die, it's like only 1 in 8 chance to die if you live there. Nothing to worry about.

fark, hope you guys don't blow up. Te Anau/ doubtful sound is my favourite place in the world I've visited.

>earthquakes bound to happen
>"earthquake gonna happen guise"
>weeks, months, maybe years later it happens
>"see I told you it would happen"

I predict that it will rain within the next few days, weeks or months. So get your umbrellas ready.

Well, god did warn you NZers not to let the faggots get out of Hand down queen street, now you will suffer the consequences.

the vid was created only 3 weeks ago m8 he's a legend

your right

nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11749215

P A L M E R S T O N

N
O
R
T
H

We sit on the middle of a giant plate yet somehow there are certain parts which are technically still earthquake zones. In Western Australia our entire philosphy for factoring in earthquake danger is to take a map and draw a big circle around a tiny town in the middle of nowhere that got flattened 50 years ago and just play it safe according to how far away we are from Meckering.

Lmao when did Kiwis start stealing their arguments from Mexicans?

don't mess with antarctica and you'll be fine

otherwise >> nz btfo

Te Anau will literally be spilt in half cause its on the fault line

Literally the destruction of Beleriand

if dubbz it will hit hard with many casualties and catastrophic structural damages

Please Get Dubbz

Now show the pic one week later.
Them japs are crazy.

fuck!

How does it feel speaking English as a second language you asiatic coon

they won't fix this for about 2 years

>300% more earthquakes in 2012 than 2011 worldwide
>200% more than the 2012 in 2013
Guys we really need to stop with this C02 stuff.

I would only miss the tepapa and some botanic gardens in wellington.
The rest can go down the drain.

Would be better if auckland gets sucked Into the earth though.

How fucked am I in the Hutt Valley?

Come on KEK lets correct this mistake

u get flooded way to easy

The 2 large earthquakes that just happened were caused by the Supermoon event.

The next Supermoon will be 2032 and the moon will be even closer to the earth at that time. So the big 9+ earthquake will most likely happen then.

Here's to 2032

space.com/34714-supermoon-science-nasa-explains-closest-full-moon.html

fuck you man auckland is aesthetic

remember it was the gays, there butt fucking caused these tremours
newshub.co.nz/nznews/destiny-church-leader-brian-tamaki-blames-earthquake-on-gays-2016111614

NZ will be pushed up several hundred meters and become larger than what remains of Australia.

ABRAKADABRA KEK POO POO PEE PEE ON ZOOLAND!!!

so close

yet so far

Fuck up cunt, I'm white as a fucking lilly, you're just salty because you are an unemployed Maori living off government benefits who doesn't want his shitty little village collapsing in an earthquake. Go back to your pa you savage.

u remember his black shirt march against fags

YESSS

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

LEARN TO SWIM FUCKERS!!!!!

RIP UNDER THE SEA!!!!

ALLLLLAAAAAAAAAHU AKBAR!!!

nice triple but rerolls don't count

pooland is poor btw

What the fucks your problem cunt?

top kek

Is that a real thing though? Could this conceivably happen in the next couple of millenia?

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

This better not be real OP. I'm in johnsonville.

is is technically a sunken continent

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia_(continent)

Will it affect Australia?

Yes, stress is generated at plate margins but is transferred through the plates. This stress becomes apparent in areas of structural weakness, e.g. old faults and fractures which can be 1000's of kilometers from the plate boundary.

There is literally no evidence supermoons cause earthquakes.

Clinton and Sauros were worshiping Morgoth, not Moloch.

Yes, with crustal displacement triggered via a rapid magnetic pole shift. Either we sink under or rise above. It seems more likely that the plate will push more landmass up and it could happen within the next century.

Gl nz

I guess CERN should have thought about that before they decided to move New Zealand

>he thinks KEK isnt trying to correct this mistake and sink you all together once and for all

the good news is sea levels will drop and the whole world will benefit with bigger beaches

mother nature getting rid of the shit

NZ sits on the mother of all plate boundaries, the moon has fuck all to do with it.

Da fug do the magnetic poles have to do with it?

hahah someone told me that new zealand is safe when it comes to nuclear exchange.

E hika

South America insulting one of the lowest violent crime rate first-world countries in the world.

i have to look at the accident waiting to happen everytime i go to the beach

Here's the real question - how will this supermoon event affect me as I fly by on my bike while learning the true meaning of friendship!

fugg

theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/09/moon-tide-earthquakes/499637/

>Ide and colleagues noticed the Dec. 26, 2004 Sumatran earthquake, most notable for its horrendous, deadly tsunami, occurred near the time of full moon and spring tide. So did the Feb. 27, 2010 temblor in Maule, Chile. These quakes both happened close to the peak of tidal stress, when the moon and sun teamed up to exert the greatest gravitational influence over Earth. The March 11, 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake in Japan, which caused that country’s devastating tsunami, occurred during the neap tide, but the tidal stress was high at that time.

>In other words, during a new moon or full moon, a small increase in tidal stress might be enough to encourage a very small fracture into a major earthquake

Based kiwis!

the moon was also doing stuff during the 2010 CHCH earthquake

every aucklander knows auckland sucks magnum dongs idk what youre on about fagit

Stop fracking.