Do you think a Mario comic series done in the same vein as the Archie Sonic comics could work in theory?

Do you think a Mario comic series done in the same vein as the Archie Sonic comics could work in theory?
The franchise is full of hundreds of characters (Even more if we take the Donkey Kong and Wario games into account) to explore and develop. And with Odyssey revolutionizing the series' worldbuilding, perhaps they could utilize familiar locations and characters from past games and establishing their origins in these new kingdoms

Sure, there've been plenty of Mario comics. Nintendo's been pretty iffy about giving their star plumber too much personality since the Mario Bros movie flopped, none of the games give him much personality at all, I think the original Mario RPG came the closest but even then he's majorly a silent protagonist with very expressive body language.

>Archie Mario
HELL. NO.
TIMES A THOUSAND.
We don’t need five-hundred shitty autistic recolor OCs or shitty edgyness or terrible convoluted stories. Keep Mario FAR FAR FAR away from Archie and Flynn.

THIS
H
I
S

but user, the partner characters in the paper mario series have been very beloved by the fanbase

And Archie/Flynn will never create anything in that same level. They would just make cringe-inducing/boring characters that no one but autists would. Let’s not turn Mario into Sonic mmmkay?

If you must ruin a Nintendo property then ruin something like Star Fox that is already dead.

But not by Nintendo.

>Let’s not turn Mario into Sonic mmmkay
mario is way past sonic levels of autism by now, Sup Forums just doesn't like to talk about it because its nintendogaf

/thread

>mario is way past sonic levels of autism by now
>sonicfags believe this

Ironically the DIC cartoons showed it could be done properly.

Just write Mario and Luigi as everymen, have Toad and Princess Toadstool as his sidekicks who get to have the spotlight every couple of episodes.

Mario and Luigi start off as regular plumbers working in the Mushroom Kingdom. Other humans exist along with the toadstools. One day the kingdom is sacked through Bowser using the tunnel pipes to invade the castle and steal the princess. Mario and Luigi are called upon as they are plumbers to be the only ones with expertise on where the pipes go. The pipes run all over the world and are left behind by a long forgotten civilization that is so complex and vast nobody has been able to map it all. As they venture forth the pipes take them all over various kingdoms filled with strange creatures and traps Bowser laid for any who would dare follow. His intention is to marry the Princess becoming the new honorary king of the Mushroom Kingdom leading to him unlocking the secret to Star Road and its power.

Are the DIC cartoons really THAT bad?

Granted, anything that has the Dobson and Movieblob seal of approval is probably horrible. But the few I've seen online aren't THAT bad.

They are typical 80s/early 90s fare. I'd argue they are some of the better DIC shows but they are your usual fare with no continuity, shallow plots, and inconsistancies with the source material (in this case, the fact that the Kooplings have different names from the video games)

That said, they were from a time before Nintendo giving shit about unifying the brands in Japan and the US. Meaning Peach and Bowser go off their US names and original designs (in particular, Peach has red hair and Bowser has his SMB1 design).

That said, ranking them I would say Adventures of Super Mario 3> Super Mario Super Show > Super Mario World (which is pretty much so horrible that even the most ardent DIC defenders hate them).

Japan's had a Mario comic running since before Archie Sonic debuted. It can be done; you'll just have Archie-fags literally claiming that you have to make 99+ Mario because "you can't tell stories with established characters" like they did with Sonic.

>this is what Sonicfags actually believe
This is the most autistic Mario OC I've seen yet and it's entry level-tier compared to the shitheap of autism the Sonic fanbase has generated.

looks cool

No, they aight.

Is that the one where he keeps taking off his pants?

I agree, but aside from edgyness, mario has had a few of those you mentioned. So it seems that end the end, it's edgyness that ruins everything.

/thread
No need for Archie's incompetence to plague Mario when there was an already good comic from Mario made years ago.

Except those were RPG's, which need a big cast and also were actual characters with some personality not made by braindead westerners who got too far in the door.

Funny enough even Flynn would agree with you.

In his podcast he mentioned once that if he were to write a Mario book he wouldn't make it so continuity heavy and too similar to his Sonic books.

I'd love to see a Sonic Universe esque series for Mario. Imagine characters like Wario, Daisy, or Bowser starring in their own self contained story arcs.

You obviously have not seen enough of the Sonic fanbase

Most of what you're fearing died with the Quantum Dial reboot, which got its shit in order and made not-so-tryhard OC's who actually matched Sonic's aesthetic. Hell even the FF's looked great.

Although focusing on giving some fun personality to pre-established Mario (or whatever else) characters should be the priority, I agree.