Why do artists make OC's, when they don't at least add them towards a webcomic?

Why do artists make OC's, when they don't at least add them towards a webcomic?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikihow.com/Know-if-Your-Girlfriend-Wants-to-Have-Sex-With-You
wikihow.com/Make-Your-Girlfriend-Want-to-Have-Sex-With-You
saturdayeveningpost.com/2013/03/15/art-entertainment/beyond-the-canvas-art-entertainment/norman-rockwell-model-mary-whalen.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're usually self inserts, they might be in their fanfiction already or they have all the character's adventures happen inside their head.

Sometimes inspiration strikes with a character design or maybe they're trying a type of character they haven't done before to broaden their horizon

Having a character you know something about lets you come up with things to draw that gives an image personality.

It's easier to make an original character than building a world and plot for that character to be in

Sometimes the artist does but it's difficult for them to actually draw this out, too lazy to do it or just don't have the time

Sometimes you just want to draw a character you think looks cool or fun.
Do you think all artists just want to commit to a full length story because they had a neat brain fart about a weird alien or whatever?

I WANT TO PUT MY OC IN A WEBCOMIC BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW

I HAVE A PLOT BUT IT'S HARD, ALL OF IT IS HARD

So I just draw my OC doing something fun and people are like "Wow, I like that OC"

At first its self-centered. Then you meet others like you. You role play. Then it turns into collaborative writing. Something bigger than yourself is created. You care for those who write with you. You get better at drawing. You learn more about writing. You enjoy what you have made together. It may not grow beyond an internet fandom, but for a time, you were part of something nice.

Its about the experience, and the growth that comes with it.

What's your OC?
Who are you?

Also I've been there, it sucks having ideas but not being able to write.
Like five million times I'll come up with a scene and think it'd be really cool to have a comic build towards that, and have no rest of the comic.

I'm writing my comic right now faggot.

Sometimes simply the act of creating an OC is its own reward.

Would you prefer they only did fanart?

>>BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW
>Draw webcomic
>Put OC in it
Nigga, it's that easy.

I'd prefer they just drew one-offs like what most artists have been doing since the dawn of time.
I hate the kind of insular wanking that makes artists think they have to have a "brand".

But isn't any random napkin doodle an OC if distinct enough?

Honestly, furries ruined the joy of having a OC for me.

nap kino

your OC wasn't that good anyway

It's not my fault...when I make an oc, it somehow ends up being its own thing and everybody uses it whatever the heck they want...and I'm okay with that.

Is that image from a doujin?

webcomics are hard.

Comics are for people that actually want to make art for a living. (Shitty) one-offs and character designs are fun enough on their own, without the whole "working to a schedule" and "actually telling a decent story" parts.

>have to learn how to draw, an already Herculean task with an absurd amount of things to master
>learn basic story structure
>design the character
>build the world
>get the tools needed to make the comic and post it online
>easy

Of course, you can just shit together something you know is trash, but those are dime a dozen now.

Work with a writer who will explain to you what makes a good situation for a webcomic and play off of your OC's characteristics.

They don't necessarily need to write the entire strip for you but they can suggest things that in turn suggest a storyline. And this is going to hurt, but accept that good webcomics have endings. Bad webcomics go on forever excepting a rare few. This is the handle I go by on Discord, btw (I write, edit, etc.).

>build the world
Worldbuilding is a tar baby that will give you an excuse to procrastinate. Put together the barest details and then let your autistic fanbase connect the dots for you. If you think this hasn't been done before you're mistaken.

Even if your OC is "shy bookish girl who has trouble making friends" i.e. you it can be worked into a story.

>Is that image from a doujin?
This is like 90% likely to be my favorite wikihow artist who seems to exclusively illustrate romantic how-tos.
wikihow.com/Know-if-Your-Girlfriend-Wants-to-Have-Sex-With-You
wikihow.com/Make-Your-Girlfriend-Want-to-Have-Sex-With-You
Never found their name but it's fucking adorable work

I can't even begin to understand the line of logic that would lead to posing this question so I'm left at a blank towards replying to it. It's like asking "why do you hum if you're never going to be a rock star?"

Not even considering how much market there is for one-off designs; it's more like asking "why even make food if it's not going to be pizza?"

Shut up, I want to call people hacks.

>be drawfaggot
>come up with a couple OCs
>draw them doing cutesy anime shit
>people like it
>make massive autistic world building, character backgrounds and storylines in my head
>scared to commit in a real project because i will ruin everything
>continue drawing cutesy shit, never amounting to anything
i'm a fraud

I keep telling you to work with me and you never do. What's the worst that could happen?

Just do it is how. Make something, if it's not good so be it. That's how you learn.

too close to home

>Make something, if it's not good so be it. That's how you learn
Literally this.

I beg you stop reposting Stebun

Doesnt that bitch got a penis

provide sauce then

Nevermind not this one directly but the artist does draw alot of futa. The artist is Afrobull.

not even remotely similar style

I just googled them myself and got the pic. I was hoping for something lewder with that face though.

I have a whole story in my head but I haven't ever expressed it. Not even draw out my OC's

There's a pic where the bird has boobs

Nah bro thats afrobull

yes

>webcomic
90% of webcomics are garbo

I totally understand the fear of putting your darling into your starter story, because while not the best you feel like there's a good idea in there. Rough but it could shine, but if you use it in this story, that's it. You finally blew your load, and all it did was ruin the sheets.
Though I know it's a stupid fear and you've gotta get over it, you'll have other loads and maybe those will be the one that becomes that million dollar baby.

>you'll have other loads

> you'll have other loads

>you'll have other loads and maybe those will be the one that becomes that million dollar baby

>you'll have other loads

>You finally blew your load, and all it did was ruin the sheets.
>you'll have other loads

Almost didn't notice the quad dubs from looking at your gif. Nice.

Lets see your shit. Drop your pants and show us your oc.

>you'll have other loads

Put me in the screencap

H-Her name is Bear Girl, she travels the lands to collect (or steal) rare sweets to eat..and sometimes she'll wear a bear suit to scare foes when things get tough

One day, I will make this damn webcomic..

Is the pic about a trans boy? Or a lesbian young one?

Who does she steal sweets from?

I was going to do it where she steals rare sweets from different monsters, like Goblins, Orcs, etc etc.

But sometimes, she'll steal it from humans too, such as A King or Queen

So is it going to just be cutesy shit?
How in depth are we going? Is she some kind of super thief with a bear motif or is she just after pickanick baskets?

Well here's the thing.

Cutesy isn't really my thing, so I got my mind on "other" subjects, but I wanted to go deeper with this like Bear girl bothering some shopkeeper, whose this fat guy that sells the most valuable/rarest sweets in all of the lands.

The Shopkeeper gets annoyed by this and gives her dangerous quests of collecting "sweet resources" from monsters, which she takes back and her reward is a rare sweet or something like that

Making an actual story is hard. It's much easier to just draw characters and imagine a story.

Personally I don't see the appeal, but whatever makes them happy.

It's enough of a premise to work with. Bear girl eating sweet shit, getting ingredients for king candy? Willie Wonka? John Candy? The King of Lard?

Hell. You could formulaic and turn it into a bunch of fetch quests, with the ingredient of the week.

Do you have any of these creatures or characters designed? I'm going to just spitball shit at you. Take it or leave it freely.

A giant baker with a big puffy hat who makes giant pies big enough to swim in.

Queen of the Honeybees, with a royal bustle, who has the sweetest honey in the world. Her hive sits on the back of a giant turtle.

Marshmallow peep stampede. Like a canadian goose attack or a chicken attack from Zelda.

A witch in a gingerbread house who lardboy wants to impress SO badly.

>Write a short story with a simple world and simple characters that you can finish in less than 10 pages
>Do this a couple times until you feel comfortable enough to try your hand at writing maybe a 50 or so page comic with a little more complexity
>Just keep bumping this up until you feel ready for your main shit
Here's a little tip that for some reason almost fucking no one who makes a webcomic seems to grasp, your first comic is not going to be your magnum opus and trying to jump immediately into an epic that spans thousands of pages will always lead to disaster.

Thank you for these suggestions

I haven't designed the creatures yet, I've just been busy with real life stuff but I think this weekend, I'll take a chance with making SOMETHING.

A short strip, anything to get Bear Girl some form of life

I wanna make a webcomic but I'm shit at backgrounds, panel competition and am not great at storytelling. I promise I'll do it!

neither
saturdayeveningpost.com/2013/03/15/art-entertainment/beyond-the-canvas-art-entertainment/norman-rockwell-model-mary-whalen.html

Uh yea

Scott McCloud will help you. And practice, tons of it till the moment you can feel both composition and dynamics of frames and panels. You don't have to be an excellent artist to make catchy comics (look at first 50 pages of Homestuck for example, lol)

>but I'm shit at backgrounds
psst, if, after genuine attempts (eg longer than a month), you're shit at backgrounds, then you're very likely bad at drawing full stop.

>tfw have multiple OCs but too afraid to show them because I feel like they'll become a meme and made fun of like Coldsteel
>tfw can't even draw and have to rely on commissions just for OCs
>tfw wanna be a mangaka but no drawing skills, would have to hope that some artist sees my story and wants to team up with me to make a webcomic out of it.

It's all hopeless for me.

im a pro mangaka and would offer to draw your comic for free but you just used a persons last moments in life as a reaction image which makes me not want to draw for you

You've got more than enough to work with. There's a question of format, but it's not like beargirl needs an entire epic to just sit and eat some doughnuts she stole from the windowsil of the human peacock, or to see gaston the hunter try to figure out whether he wants to shoot her or woo her or steal her pelt.

Look. If your shit gets ANY traction, huge number of people will hate it. No exceptions. And people will make rule 34 of it. If you can't handle it, never show your shit to anyone.

then learn to draw, dingus
read the sticky and grind

at least try you fucking faggot. the best thing you can do is draw and learn even when it comes out as shitty. even i'm trying and i'm fucking trash

You still have the issue of learning how to draw, and it takes months to start getting good at even basic shit.

>You finally blew your load, and all it did was ruin the sheets.
>you'll have other loads and maybe those will be the one that becomes that million dollar baby.
why is this so dumb but does it make so much sense at the same time

How to get over embarrassment over your own ideas?

I've started learning to draw a few years ago and haven't bothered fleshing out a single OC yet, although I had a lot of ideas before I started learning to draw.

>you'll have other loads and maybe those will be the one that becomes that million dollar baby.

Poetry, user. Absolute poetry.

calm down sophoclese

Or just make a new story with your OC if you think your old story is crap

>the fat candy seller gives Beargirl more and more fucked up missions out of frustration hoping she doesnt come back but she always does
I like it

and saved, for future generations and their many loads to be inspired by

You should talk to people who think that drawing any fanart is stealing. It would be an interesting conversation.

Solution: Throw away your first time with something stupid you won't find serious, like "your ultimate fetish chimera" or just play a TTRPG and have fun with friends developing a character.

you better tell me that story right now, b-bitch