Elfquest storytime

"Fourty years of pointed ears"
On our last episode, Two-Edge tried to get everyone to play his favourite game of "lets you and him fight," and kitted out the Wolfriders and Go-Backs in full-plate AC 0 armour, but the southern trolls were "fuk u pay me" and play to tip the scale in the elves favour. Meanwhile, Redlance stayed home with the kids, and that knock on the door is not girl-scout cookies.

Other urls found in this thread:

digital.darkhorse.com/books/5ba8a39665004af19abcca7fc15121ae/complete-elfquest-volume-1-the-original-quest-tpb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Previous threads might still be alive
Thread 1: Thread 2: Thread 3: Thread 4: Thread 5: Thread 6:

yup, take out the arcane controller before the fight. y'see? Two-Edge reads strategy guides before the raid

*turns on noclip*

you go ahead and start Heroes of Might and Magic, I'll stay here and minecraft a bridge

imagine if villains monologued in rhyme. how awesome/terrible would that be?

> elves are just trash mobs
> t. Guttlekraw

more of Wendy's creative composition. how often do we see first-person perspective used, especially for a reveal? gets us to really empathize with the troll that is getting some shock-and-awe right now

Khavi you beautiful manificent psycho

Around elves -watch yourselves!

'sending' to buff allies, getting them to match the encounter level

Skywise realizes the plot armor that protected him at the waterfall doesn't work in a chapter named "(something)'s End"

two-page spread. 'send'ing is always honest, and its okay to be honestly scared when you're in mortal danger
oh yeah, and Dewshine is preggers but she's still fighting toe-to-toe in a war.

lotta people losing their innocence in this leg of the journey. He's been the damsel in distress a few times, and he's a lover not a fighter, but this is his version of Winnowill's healer bad-touch

This is the most beautiful series of threads ever on Sup Forums

Rayek rolls his bend-bars / lift-gates, using Int instead of Str

> 'F' is disabled during this cutscene
Guttlekraw was a bad egg, and maybe the final boss here, but not the primary villain of the story. Looking back, there's been many main bad-guys over the story. It's part of what qualifies Elfquest as an epic: there's no single resolving conflict, no single climax. It's messy, it's long, and if you keep reading the story literally spans generations.

Leetah...

and we finally see Two-Edge's motivation. Dude's been setting this up for decades, since before Bearclaw, and it did not go according to keikaku.

Pin-up of dead bird grandpa. He idolized his own parents, and when he grew into adulthood he felt the most important thing was to revere and preserve his parent's culture. He gathered a following and made an ersatz palace in Blue Mountain, and shaped his band of followers into his idealized version of what he remembered. (We'll see soon how close he was.) But his conservatism was stifling, and his little society stagnated, and he became so comfortable in his rut of ritualized behaviours that he didn't notice the rot that grew in his spouse's soul. In the end, the wolfriders broke him out of his rut... but he was still so dedicated to the memories of his family that he oriented on returning to his family home at the expense of all else. A charismatic leader to be sure, loved by his family, but doomed by his adamantine grip on the "good old days."

Back soon for the next issue: part 2 of quest's end

No glass of wine this time -- I gave blood today. I kept thinking about Leetah healing Cutter in and I walked past a blood-drive at the mall today. Decided to stop, check in, and I gave up 8% of my blood to strangers. Ehn, I get a free blood test out of it, and they gave me juice.

Issue 20: Quest's End part 2
The cover shows us the five tribes of elves that Cutter has encountered: the Gliders, the Wolfriders, the Sun Folk, and the Go-Backs, and the [REDACTED]

took for-fucking-ever to find our way back to the entrance of Blackrock Depths

the shit I had to do in 'Nam

Treestump is lit

and Leetah learns even Cure Light Wounds spells can commit crimes

so Khavi does care, eventually this is the one and only time we see her shed a tear.
She's a steel-hard bitch the rest of her life.
God she's beautiful.

the fuck was Guttlekraw doing? The "Iron Dome" over the promised land is a metaphor for anti-air missles, ya goof.

Picknose more like PIMPnose

oh...

OH !

I should've made an Animorphs joke. Sorry, I was a bit in awe.

let the magicuser do it

despite all the nudity up to now, this is the first nipple.
It must SUCK when the only person who knows your family history, someone you look up to like an ultra-parent, keeps acting like you're a kid when you're an adult and just tunes you out completely.

> Egg!

The "magic as super-advanced techology" was a re-occuring theme in the late '70s and early '80s. From the "weirding way" and Bene Gesserit of Dune, and "The Starlost" teevee series, and the setting of the Might & Magic video games. Seeing it again in the Marvel movies as an explanation for Asgardians made me feel pretty nostalgaic.

> legends of magical beings that look like us
wait for it...

boom! self-fulfilling prophecy in a stable time-loop
I love time-travel shennanigans like this

Nothing can shake faith more than meeting God

change is good, but so is tradition. We need both.

Khavi can't not pick fights. And Rayek always thinks he's the most important elf in the room.

she's awesome. and trouble.
> Nightfall "bitch did you just..."

> Cutter's hoverhand

> Petalwing! do the Walt Disney thing!

user told us in that Skywise was supposed to exit the story many issues ago, but Richard talked her into keeping him on (the only time he's ever interfered with the story). Kind of hard to belive, knowing all the stuff he gets into later, but I can see here is where Wendy puts him out-of-the-way for the stories she has in mind to follow this. It's still a good story element, with this world-shaking revelation not only in the nature of elves and its connection to Skywise's heart's desire, but also how childhood friendships change as we get old, and Cutter has really gotten older not just since the burning of the Holt but since leaving Sorrow's End.

dats it mane

skywise best elf

ha ha j/k Skywise is here forever

> Shade and Sweet Water
Wendy & Richard's version of "fare thee well" or "blessed be" or "happy hunting"

interesting comic but barely anyone remembers it

Pinup time; the elves that stayed in Sorrow's End. Woodlock and Rainsong end up living out their days here. They're happy and fulfilled raising their kids, who grow up to be heroes in their own. I mentioned before this story is epic, and it certainly satifies the "multi-generational" criteria.

This was the end of Issue 20, and the end of the first Elfquest story. Wendy & Richard are selling collected hardcover omnibuses, black and white, currently published by Dark Horse. digital.darkhorse.com/books/5ba8a39665004af19abcca7fc15121ae/complete-elfquest-volume-1-the-original-quest-tpb

I still have the collected colour editions from Donning Publications, printed in the '80s. If you want to search used book stores for these editions, here are the ISBN numbers:
Book 1 : ISBN 0-89865-140-9 : issues 01-05
Book 2 : ISBN 0-89865-245-6 : issues 06-10
Book 3 : ISBN 0-89865-329-0 : issues 11-15
Book 4 : ISBN 0-89865-377-0 : issues 16-20

I'm not done tonight. Stick around for something extra.

Great comic, thanks for taking the time for reminding us about it! It's been years since I've read this and it's still great.

> posting an image during storytime
c'mon, son.

Issue 21 , the intermission
Wendy and Richard published four times a year, so it took them five years to publish just the first story, and they had plans. Big plans. (I don't know if they knew it would go on for fourty years.) So they took a break, and published their notes, stuff that wouldn't be spoilers anyways.

> but at some point there will be an undeniable conclusion. ... when Wendy told me the *entire* story of the elves and their stay on this primative world.

> the Elfquest Gatherum
oh hell, I have that book. hardcover, 1ΒΌ" thick. I stil haven't read it all.

> short Lord Voll
nope
> Tyldak without a mohawk
nope

> Timmain wearing clothes, ever
nnnope nuh-uh

they didn't do letters pages since issue 5

> 1977
can you imagine taking seven or eight years to tell a story? Who's got the patience for that?
Actually quite a few people, since webcomics make it easier to publish. Most of it is drek, sure, but some of it is amazing. I wonder if Wendy & Richard would've printed physical copies if they started in the late '90s instead of the late '70s.

> Shenshen was an uggo
> Ember was a boy
> Nonna was a self-insert

Imagine reading Peanuts, Mary Worth, Dick Tracey and Elfquest every day in the newspaper

> Bingo
> Oh Shit

There's probably a nobody at your next con's artist's alley that will grow up to be a legend.