Sup Forums what the difference between Manga and Comics ?

Sup Forums what the difference between Manga and Comics ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GGn25URIss8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Manga is actually good

explain.... user

Japs don't have a single decent writer amongst them. We westerners have five.

There is no meaningful difference.

Manga is just Japanese comics.

People only like to pretend there is because a geek subculture decided one day that they were superior because their comics came from Japan, and the guys on the other side of the fence decided to shit on manga needlessly just to spite pretentious weebs

It's a fandom division rather than a media division

but One Piece literally is one of the best comics of all time , user fuck writers if 1 person can create one of the best selling comics of all time with other writers the convo is over plus im talking about the differences between manga and comics

According to Hirihiko Araki in Manga in Theory and Practice, the biggest difference between American Comics and Manga is that Manga is more willing to explore the internal life of a character while American comics focuses more on plot.

>but One Piece literally is one of the best selling comics of all time
FTFY
I like One Piece btw

>western comics
>good writers
youtube.com/watch?v=GGn25URIss8

>best selling = best written
>implying that decompressed, nonsensical, fluff filled trash is good

>but One Piece literally is one of the best comics of all time

I like One Piece but it has a lot of bullshit writting on it and relies too much on bullshit super powers, asspulls, etc.

You just know that the main characters have a really thick plot armor so never the really bad stuff happens to them.

Also too many fight scenes get solved via Luffy getting really mad and over powering the bad guy just because.

i dont think so user

For one, western writters are not scared of showing one of the main characters getting a girlfriend.

While most manga have a single main character because one that is in a relationship would not be relateable for weebs.

Take a look at shit like Bakuman, the main ''couple'' decides since the first volumen that they will get married when the main dude becomes a huge mangaka! But they are not going to even date on the meantime, they are going from phone texts to literal marriage.

Just comparing shonenjump to marvel/dc

>on average manga have better panel flow than comics
>marvel/dc are a lot more outlandish while manga re-use the same basic template over
>manga is one continuous story written by one guy while marvel/dc are a clusterfuck of writers
>marvel/dc reboot/retcon every tuesday
>manga is always a self contained universe while marvel/dc are just clusterfucks of characters

This is a good example of what the average cape and average manga look like, but of course there are exception

>Also too many fight scenes get solved via Luffy getting really mad and over powering the bad guy just because

i guess you gotta a fair point

There is nothing ''cinematic'' about that manga page, is just a generic page of a person doing a simple thing, no interesting angles, barely any enviroment, light sources.

If anything the comic book page on the right looks more cinematic, I can see a movie using those exact same shots.

Shonen Jump: The main characters are not allowed to date.

They already lost right there.

>manga is one continuous story written by one guy while marvel/dc are a clusterfuck of writers

i wonder why do westerns do this ? its like a TV show 1-2 writers are better clusterfuck of em

One thing Manga has always done that America is trying to emulate today is offer a wide variety of genres and titles for a more diverse reader base.

>Comparing the entirety of Manga to Marvel and DC
Fucking idiots.

>but One Piece literally is one of the best comics of all time

Manga have better art most of the time

Really its a false comparison dude.

The pacing and frame point doesn't even make any sense. Panels always show time passing and movement through space because thats what panels do.

>>manga is one continuous story written by one guy while marvel/dc are a clusterfuck of writers

Because different voices keep things fresh when it comes to writting.

While most manga, specialy shonen shit, gets really boring and stale the longer they go, they add a ton of characters but they never know what to do with them and they become part of the background more often than not.

I tried to read One Piece but maan, it feels like every arc is a ''rinse and repeat'' of the same ''bad guys that run an island must be stopped ending with a boss fight'' arc

>murata is most of the time
Cherry picking at its finest.

>One thing Manga has always done that America is trying to emulate today is offer a wide variety of genres and titles for a more diverse reader base.

You can find comics of all kind these days, so moot point.

Different voices writing the same played out characters instead of building new characters from the same tropes to better fit the story they want to tell.

get back to me when there's an entire genre of dedicated titty comics available at my LCS right next to the Boxing and Hard Sci-Fi political space opera comics

>Different voices writing the same played out characters instead of building new characters from the same tropes

Most shonen leads are intercheangeable.

Is either the serious guy, the air head smile guy or the hyper ''ready to fight'' guy.

Batman alone is more complex than any of those archetypes.

Looking at capeshit and shonenshit tells me that they're both methods to creating ever-flowing floods of garbage.

user were talking about the DIFFERENCES not art wise

>Because different voices keep things fresh when it comes to writting.
It's not really fresh if it's the same characters, in the same setting, with the same powers, the same rogues, the same boring plots, the same asspulls, the same status quo

The fact that no popular, long lasting character has truly radically changed should tell you that no matter what, cape comics aren't fresh

As an example, the new mickey shorts are well done, but they aren't so radically different that we're in a new territory, it's just different enough to feel nice
The languages, the settings, the plots, all new and exciting
But the base character is the same

Nothing really changes for most capes, you can put them in new worlds and fighting new dudes, but at the end of the day Superman is going to go back to Metropolis and Spiderman is going to be a smarmy YA

manga is usually about kids, gives a hella pedo vibe

You can find literally all that these days.

> Manga have better art most of the time If you seriously believe that you haven't read much manga.

Ichigo, Luffy and Naruto really are all there is in Shonen shit.

Damn, didn't mean to greentext the whole post.

hey Law of ueki had some decent pages

Sure would've been more of a convincing argument if you could actually...name something

>putting words into my mouth
wew Murata was just one example

>It's not really fresh if it's the same characters, in the same setting, with the same powers, the same rogues, the same boring plots, the same asspulls, the same status quo

How is this different from Manga again?

One Piece uses almost the same archetype for the ''boss'' characters.

Hell, I can argue right now that the creator of One Piece has a hard time writting voices for each of his characters.

>lot of bullshit writting on it and relies too much on bullshit super powers, asspulls, etc.
Sounds like western comics to me

Climax and Impact panels like this are always going to look good no matter what kind of comic they're in because that's what sells the comic.

I don't know the titles but I have seen comics about boxing, wrestling, fencing, volleyball, you name it.

Image alone covers tons of genres these days.

Nothing

And yet you are unable to cherry pick anyone better. Western comics are that bad.

You mean what little capeshit you've read.

>Sounds like western comics to me
You got that right

Admittedly image is kinda outdated, and overcrowding panels with dialogue has become less common, but it holds true for old American comics.

>Sounds like western comics to me

Difference being that since manga has one writter, asspulls are the only thing that we get, like in one piece.

While in comics we may go from a noir detective story to a sci-fi adventure to a story about social issues, etc.

The Sky is the limit!

While One Piece will never not be about pirates.

And those were all mangas.

So you don't actually have anything to contribute to the conversation but still feel too personally attached to your beliefs to admit defeat. Got it.

>the classic "I don't have an argument so I'll strawman you while ironically pretending all manga is what's in shonen jump"

This is like the third time I've seen that image today with the same filename.

You're still cherry picking.

I could just as easily say "Comics have better art most of the time" and post spreads by JH Williams (who is better than both Murata and the BNHA guy btw). You're not proving anything.

by that logic then manga is fucking limited to ONE artist for ONE set of characters

No artist alive beats Miura desu

>Another Manga Vs Comics thread

Can you guys fuck off with this shit, this isn't the early aughts where retards would argue about this garbage consistently. Nobody cares, most capeshit is trash and so is garbage like Wanpiss. Fuck off.

I would say the dynamics between the main characters, smaller pirate groups, the revolutionaries, yonkou, shichbukai, the navy, and the nobles makes for a much better comic than most capes and all current cape runs

One Piece's villains vary more than that of Batman and Spiderman, because at the very least they all have different goals
The only villains that stand out in capes are the ones that aren't robbing banks or trying to take over/destroy the world. Currently, the only popular rogues are just the ones who have been around the longest. There are only a few examples of villains who don't follow the same basic villain patterns in capes.
Namely The Joker, who is pretty much the only example of a villain who isn't after money or power and whose motivations are actually interesting.

>Arguing about you subject experiences of things that appeal to you for personal reasons.

Well sure if you ignore every page full body shot, or with visible hands, but the manga would greatly reduce in length.

>all of manga is one writer
>no manga ever ever changes in scope
>dragging the poor abused carcass of a popular hero through wildly inconsistent stories because you need the brand name to sell instead of the work standing on its own legs is good
Wew lad

Gary Frank, get this, he doesn't draw generic anime faces, already better.

>the classic green text because I don't actually know of any comics besides capeshit and think my opponent is as ignorant as me

>i could totally post better art
>if i felt like it
The amount of self delusion you have to expect me to believe you for no reason is astounding.

You're just full of excuses aren't you?

>I don't like this so stop talking about it
worse than any powerlevel fanwankery or bullshit east v west discussion
kill thyself, nerd

>And those were all mangas.
And comics too!

Not since he switched to digital and idolmaster started infecting his life
But Berserk has been going since literally the year I was born so I cut him some slack

manga artists can draw while western artists can't

You don't have to believe anything. That point is the effort of getting into an artist by artist pissing match is meaningless because its a completely useless exercise.

The irony of all this is east vs west threads are a rarity in Sup Forums. While they're daily on Sup Forums, seems like westernfags are obsessed with gook comics, while weebs could careless.

manga is more frequently well drawn and more frequently entertaining, but western comics more frequently have decent prose writing (historically speaking [even if now it's almost all garbage])

I unironically consider One Piece the greatest story ever written.

>no u

No, nigga.

Someone said that comics lack the variety of manga. Someone else said they don't. I asked if they could actually list something. They couldn't.

Now here YOU are trying to move goal posts and being caught red handed.

The truth is that 10% of both comics and manga are great, 20% of it is just passable and the other 70% is pure dogshit. For every Saga of Swamp Thing and Akira there is Black Clover and Rock of Ages.

There is really no reason to prefer one or the other, there are masters and hacks in both mediums.

s-stop cherry p-picking user!!!!!! :^)

meh, there is nothing really impressive about the artwork in Betserk.

Just a bunch of edgy try hard shit, nothing of substance.

If you don't like ''cool shit'' for the sake of fight scenes, then Berserk has little to offer.

Cool reaction image. Where's your argument that you're not talking out of your ass though?

(You)

Look i can cherry-pick too.

It's gotten better, I think he just needed some time to adjust.

One is shit in B&W
The other is shit but in color

>unironically proclaiming shonenshit as one of the best comics of all time
>>>/reddit/

Vagabond is where its at 2bh

>Saga and Swamp Thing in the same sentence.
Fuck you too buddy.

>I would say the dynamics between the main characters, smaller pirate groups, the revolutionaries, yonkou, shichbukai, the navy, and the nobles

Different names, same ''and then luffy gets mad and beats them via punching because they were mean towards inocents and too greedy''

Wolverine and the X-men is way more inventive than all of One Piece.

What two face issue is that? it looks interesting

He said Saga OF Swamp Thing you illiterate fuck.

Comics are of Western origin, Manga are of Japanese origin. Hope that helps.

That seems a bit much, however it's very good if only because it caters to pretty much everything I want in a story.

>There is no meaningful difference.

The audiences are completely different and there's very little crossover between the two fandoms. To point where they almost run parallel to each other.

I think it's from Whatever Happend to the Caped Crusader but I could be wrong.

This, manga also has way better fights scene

>Fuck you too buddy.
>Being so butt-blasted the sole mention of Saga you even properly read the sentence.
Saga OF Swamp Thing, no Saga AND Swap Thing.

hahahahahahahah

Gary `One page a Year' Frank is not good. Hell in fact Doomsday Clock the series he works on currently he fucked up which hand was which panel to panel.

At least post some Toriyama my dude.

Murata is literally so godlike fast and skilled at illustration that it's not hard to think other artists see his work and just feel like giving up.