Not edgy enough.

That’s why. Add some TIDDIES.

>all this slice of life
>no action cartoons
>no straight up comedies

>Ligne claire is hip again, shading is for plebs
top left looks like a shitty new version of Daria though

Well what are some
Shows you would consider straight up comedies?

I wanna pet that hedgehog.

Well at least we got Infinity Train.

I actually am hype for Infinity train.

I will say that Summer camp Island looks much better visually than the pilot did. Still, I have some passing interest in these a little I guess. I've kinda given up thinking CN will make an action cartoon again. I'll have to make due with Trollhunters

I think VaV and CotC are technically more action than SoL
But Soft Action, like Steven Universe
Apple and Onion is a comedy, even though it's not that funny
It's an animated Sitcom, like Chowder, Lazlo, or FHfIF
Infinity Train is mystery action

None of these are purely SoL except Summer Camp Island

Something like WOY or Spongebob

COTC and SCI will fail miserably, apple and onion are just a miniseries, and i dont understand why the ordered that other show with the fat kid, looks really bad and its not a good idea considering they should be bracing for the failures of their top two new series this year. Infinity train has me hopeful at least.

Summer camp island looks and sounds like hipster shit from 2007

They all look like the same fucking show, jesus mart-sharting christ.
CalArts was a mistake. This legit makes me nostalgic for Time Squad, I unironically would rather a new season of that over any of this.
What figures from history would you have them visit for a revival season? They can be as obscure or as well known as you please.

SCI's the one I'm most looking forward to, it looks comfy as fuck. Infinity Train could be cool. I'm hoping it's a miniseries because it seems like the concept could get tired quickly. Apple and onion is an abomination. Don't know much about the other two.

I liked the victor and valentino pilot

Wait, summer camp has a new artstyle?

Do you wanna know what I hate the most? the colors. Specificially in A&O and SCI. I like some pastels now and then, but it feels like they're actively avoid any and all color saturation.

That was just a pilot. The artstyle is often different for the main series.

Julius Evola, George Lincoln Rockwell, and that Japanese dude who assassinated the communist leader on live TV

It's western animation. It's been bland for some years now.

All the cartoons shown here have the same color pallette, line width and practically unexisting gesture.

It's doomed to look bland

le bauhaus

Apple and Onion is like We Bare Bears without any of the charm.

And way worse art

>infinity train is being made

holy shit yes

All these shows look fucking awful, especially Craig and Summer camp island

>THESE WERE MADE FOR ACTUAL KIDS AND I CAN'T MASTURBATE TO THE CHARACTERS I HATE THIS I HATE THIS I HATE THIS

Adventure time and regular show 2.0 mexican gravity falls older clarence and some slice of life garbage with furries

>least intelligent comment of all time
this is where you humph and say "prove me wrong"

I don't think it's even for stylistic reasons. The designs are simple and the animation's stiff. Not anything that would be pleasing to look at with bold, flat colors.

Apple and Onion is annoying and unfunny, Craig of the Creek has ugly character designs and will somehow be more boring than We Bare Bears

its not that,its because they look like steven universe/gumball background characters,they look forgetable and boring with the exception of maybe infinity train

Nice to see infinity train and v&v 19 is going to be pretty fun for cartoons to.
It was confirmed by the tomb months ago.

Almost all cartoons are comedies in the West though.

How is any of what he said wrong?
>Adventure Time 2.0
Infinity Train definetely fits this and with AT and possibly Steven Universe ending soon they'd need a new long running worldbuilding series that isn't going to live up to the hype and become terrible after 2 seasons.

>Regular Show 2.0
Pretty fucking obvious.

>Older Clarence
Clarence is also ending so they needed another show to fit that niche. Having both on at the same time would be redundant.

>Mexican Gravity Falls
Another obvious one. Literally two siblings living with their mysteryous older relative and helping out in their business while getting into mystical adventures in a famous weird town.

>slice of life shit with furries
Another clear one.

If anything is Adventure Time 2.0 it's summer camp, most of the crew went to work on it.

The styles are gratingly similar. I didn't even know these were different shows. This is to the west what moe is to Japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=WNFgpixshZY

I fucking hate Spider-Man but I ended up watching that new cartoon of his just because the rest of Sup Forums is so fucking butt ugly

At least have some variation in the colors, it’s all too bright

Colors and same thin-line look

CN could really use another cartoon about wacky sailors. Or wacky pirates

Weird thing to be picky about, but I kind of hate the background coloring in IT. No aesthetic imagination, not much quality, but it stands out all the more because it tries to be dynamic.

Guess it's the kind of thing you notice more in stills.

But it's nothing like Adventure Time. Saying "the crew worked on it" isn't an actual comparison of the shows themselves you fucking retard.
Not everything with duo MC is fucking Regular Show jesus christ. The "comedy" or even setting for that matter in Apple and Onion aren't even going for the same tone. The comparison begin and ends at "there's 2 of them."

Camp Lazlo
Flapjack
Chowder

They all look like the same fucking show, save for apple and onion. Hell, I'd bet 3/5 of these shows were made in the same in-house studio. They look bland because they ARE bland. It's the same simplified and static cal-arts style over and over again. They move, sure, but they're not truly "animated". Also it's the exact same duo dynamic but without the charm.

Infinity Train has potential but I think it would do best as a short series. I predict it'll go to shit after season 2.

My predictions for this lineup:
Apple, the furry camp show, and the mexican show get cancelled after their first season (or however many eps were purchased)

The craig show hangs in there for one more season and gets canceled

IT gets the most seasons but will be shit and just kinda disappear like adventure time.

calarts.

So here's a run down of what these shows are based on some of the shit I've seen.

>Infinity Train = Mystery action going with the whole trend Gravity Falls set, but it's interesting on the basis that it isn't trying too hard to be exactly like Gravity Falls where it's set in some shithole.
> Victor and Valentino on the other hand, is a Gravity Falls knock off. Except its in Mexico because it's trying to tackle a Day of the Dead theme.
> Apple and Onion is an acid trip for kids because random shit. Not worth it.
> Craig of the Creek is a comedy but what I think actually makes this one worth looking into is that it isn't trying to copy what other shows are doing. Also you got a black and possibly LGBT character for the main protag so if you're into either of those things then this show might have a new take on the whole childhood is your golden years cliche.
> Summer Camp Island more like Slice of Life Island.

So that's my commentary on these shows having seen them either through word of mouth from my colleagues who also are fledglings in animation and/or having been to animation festivals to see whats going on in the professional industry.

I guess that CalArts meme wasn't just shitposting.

I mean look at this. Its our 2018 lineup

these next few years of cartoons are gonna be boring as fuck

>all those identical styles

Are clips of the same episode, right?

>flash animated
>shit proportions
>flat as shit on lifeless backgrounds
>bean mouth
>indie pop intro songs
>literal who VA
>creator is a VA
we took 1996 - 2012 for granted

tank the network

cal arts ruined western animation

>this same fucking atrocious style
>an entire decade of Western animation will go down in history looking like this
>CalArts will be a justified style for future animators to study

>possibly LGBT
What? Why would anyone think Craig is a homo?

>One of the only shows of the coming decade that isn't SoL shit
Beggers can't be choosers user, it may not be great on it's own but compared to every other show in the OP pic it looks like the fucking Mona Lisa.

A polished turd is still a turd. No matter how better.

Maybe it's just because none of the characters in the pictures have shadows under their arms or legs.

What other options do I have?

I don't know user. I truly wish we had something else.

>But it's nothing like Adventure Time.
Two best friends go on magical adventures. Sounds pretty similar to me. Obviously there's far more to them than that, but they're more similar than Infinity Train is to Adventure Time I'd say.

These shows remind me of why I miss cell animation desu. It always had an organic look to it that al lot this digital stuff severely lacks. These new cartoons all look extremely sterile and flat too.

4 OF THE 5 DON'T HAVE FUCKING SHADOWS

NONE OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY STANDING LEVEL ON THE GROUND

THERE'S NO SHADING

THERE IS MORE TO AN EYE THAN A PUPIL

THIGHS, CALVES, AND ANKLES ARE NOT THE SAME THICKNESS

FEET EXIST

FEET ARE NOT COLORED SOCKS

SHOES ARE NOT COLORED SOCKS

SHOULDERS, WHERE ARE MY SHOULDERS, HOLY FUCK user I CAN'T FIND MY SHOULDERS, HELP ME

OH GOD WHERE IS MY NECK, JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST ME NECK IS GONE

NOT ONE BACKGROUND EXISTS IN THE SAME DIMENSION

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE OUTLINES

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'd take good SoL over vapid lore teasing and corgies any day.
Watch good cartoons.

Stop calling things SoL if you don't know what the term refers to holy shit. Just because it has people alive in it that aren't doing anything of import doesn't make it slice of life.

>western
*American
We still have Europe

These shows look fucking ugly too jesus christ. And these are the official ad pics for the shows too, so they're not cherry picked to be bad. They literally just look like fucking shit.

how 2 spot the guy who doesn't know shit about modern TV animation

>NONE OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY STANDING LEVEL ON THE GROUND

For whatever reason, this is what bothers me the most. It's like the characters and the settings were invented entirely apart from one another, so they don't feel like they exist in the same space.

Honestly on Infinity Train and Craig of the Creek interest me. The former for actually appearing to have some form of actual plot going on instead of making shit up as they go along (though the quality will tank after season 2, screencap this) and the latter for tapping into my nostalgic past of playing out near the billabong as a kid.

But all these show are just so visually uninteresting. Where are the kinetic movements? The unique character designs? Some form of visual fucking uniqueness? Fuck this calarts shit, I'm sick of seeing it.

What's there to know? That it fucking sucks and all looks the fucking same?

>Watch good cartoons
And where exactly am I supposed to find them? 2020 is quickly shaping up to be the worst decade in animation history, if Amphibia and The Owl House don't turn out to be any good we're fucked.

Why did CalArts decide to make everything look like crap?

You made a big huge sperg rant about shit that everyone knows is ugly but we have no choice but to put up with it. It's not about CalArts, it's not about what the animators or storyboarders or showrunners or anyone actually fucking working on the show likes, it's about what they can afford to make. Bean mouths and flat colors and tweens and noodle limbs are not really purposeful stylistic choices most of the time, they're compromises made due to budget and time constraints. You took a big all-caps shit on the thread and it just smacks me as someone outraged for all the wrong reasons. You want quality in TV animation? You're better off lucid dreaming than getting angry, because no one wants to spend real money on making shows.

Anywhere Satan, there's over 60 years of quality animation just waiting for you.

>shading
>shoulders
>looks like it was drawn on a napkin but consistent in that look
>variety in linework
don't compare this shit to RS

fucking TBS managed to get a better cartoon than CARTOON NETWORK, how's that make any sense?

>2018
>cartoons in HD look flater and more faded than 1960's Tom & Jerry on a tube tv

Budget isn't a excuse for crap talent and laziness.

>t. CalArts "grad"
shove it up your ass, it's all fucking garbage

fault lines need to sink that shithole into the Earth

Well don't try to fucking excuse it
>because no one wants to spend real money on making shows.
Theres the only answer that matters in your paragraph.
It's greed, thats the only reason the budgets are even an issue.

Or, you can get angry and stop watching bad shows, and let people know why you're doing it, and eventually others will do the same as alternatives begin to sprout elsewhere like they already have.

>be poorfag artist nowhere near artist, live decently enough off comissions
>not da vinci, but always trying to push yourself to be a better artist and make more ambitious stuff to make good art, can animate, storyboard, even script pretty competently
>but things just aren't working out too well as far as applying for studio work, only recently got a small gig storyboarding on a foreign indie project, but studios to do serious animation stuff is impenetrable for storyboarding
>any jobs regarding actual animation are all overseas. It isn't even that nobody is hiring, it's that the jobs don't fucking exist unless you're doing cgi for a movie or gaming company
>but fuck it, through perseverance you'll make it, right? Just gotta keep pushing yourself to get better and better and something will work out. After all, only the best of the best can make the luck they need to get a show on tv, right?

>look at this new slate of shows

Look. Maybe it's salty grapes, maybe it's jealousy, but when I look at that OP pic? It genuinely makes me wonder why I'm even trying. Why am I killing myself trying to improve if napkin doodles are enough? And maybe they even have a point, good art takes so much time to do and there's so little time, maybe simplified geometric shapes that are easy to do in a couple of seconds is the future. Even if it's no fun to fun to look at, even if it fills me with the same boredom from made by comittee cgi farms, maybe this is the best it's going to get and I'm just a tree that isn't bending to the wave. Maybe my best would have never been good enough anyway, but if you can't draw anything inspiring or interesting or beautiful anymore, then what's the fucking point?

I'm really starting to think I should just quit art. The only thing stopping me is I don't know what else I'd do with my life.

So many slice of life shows, and they're all about kids. I miss the shows about teenagers. Makes me appreciate 6teen.

Nowhere near california*

>i-i-it's not the "artist's" fault it looks like identical shit, i-i-it's just the budget!
>j-just be happy with what we get, user
what kind of cop-out reasoning is this?

do you work for CN or something, are you one of the talentless hack storyboarders who shovel this shit out like slop to pigs?

have some fucking standards man, one product of this nature is a disgrace; making an entire decade styled around it is inexcusable

so butthurt
so delicate

>These two shows and some Mexicans are pretty much our only hope of actually getting something decent in the coming decade

Victor and Valentino also doesn't really count as slice of life.

Let's see your art, poorfag.

possums is cutes

>studying the history of animation for personal reasons
>learn about the "dark age" when cartoons had shit budgets and low effort everywhere
I wonder what the 2010s will be know for. The 90s being the renaissance and the 2000s being sorta of an extension to that.

>no straight up comedies
yeah how dare they we clearly don't have enough of those

>Why am I killing myself trying to improve if napkin doodles are enough?
Just because this is the standard today it doesn't mean it will be forever. Being a competent artist who can adapt to different kinds of artstyles is pretty desirable by suits.

>recently got a small gig storyboarding on a foreign indie project,
>>but fuck it, through perseverance you'll make it, right? Just gotta keep pushing yourself to get better and better and something will work out.
Honestly mate, just keep going. If you quit then there will never be a chance at achieving anything. You keep going, you keep looking and you keep everything up, then there's a chance you can get something. This may sound cheesy and High school PSA-esque but never give up on your dreams. You've already gone way ahead of many other people, why stop now just because the current shows are shit. Who knows, maybe one day you'll be the one to work on that one show that'll revolutionise the industry.

Spongebob is the only purely comedic cartoon there is at the moment if you don't count adult animation, I guess you could count The Loud House too.

Maximum edge

Infinity Train is the only one of these I might end up watching at all.

bland is safe. bland does not challenge or accidentally make the snowflakes think.

I'm watching Infinity Train, Craig of the Creek, and Victor & Valentino, regardless of your stupid whining, OP. Take care.