Autism and shelf organization

Im curious, how does everyone sort their trades?
Full on alphabetically?
Sort by publisher?
Sort by format (digest, omni etc)
this is an old photo but i think just going alphabetical isnt looking great. How does everyone else organize?

Other urls found in this thread:

asa8.com/s/others/akame.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I mostly go publisher then alphabetical. Unless I have a collection of books from an author or artist that I follow, then they stay together.

I put my DC comics on top shelf, Marvel in the middle shelf and Manga on the bottom shelf. From big to small size of my books.

Sort by size cause I gotta maximize every inch of shelf space.

Publisher ->series -> chronological

Are the Nightfall comics a good read? I have heard they are good, but exactly "how" good?

Is this the recent purchases thread?

I tried to do publisher but it became such a headache that alphabetical was the only reasonable way.

Wtf omnis you got there?

My Batman books are ordered like this: Miller, Morrison, then rest pretty much by date.

Autism incoming. Sorting criteria listed below in order of importance.

1. Author. This should be obvious. I always think its weird when someone prioritizes character over author. An author's entire body of work can often be viewed as one cohesive artistic statement. Moore's work, for example, definitely feels cohesive as a whole. Publisher feels like a compeltely arbitrary distinction to make when considering an author's body of work.

2. Publication date. I organize each author's body of work from earliest to latest publication date. When reading an entire body of work, it is often most helpful to start at their early work and move forward. This way you can see the evolution of the author's themes and writing style. This criteria can admittedly be overshadowed by the following two criteria.

3. Character, narrative, or "runs" by author. Working through a author's body of work, I always read each complete story before moving on to another story. Morrison's Batman, for example, is ordered from beginning to end without being interrupted by another comic he may have written in the meantime. All his Batman comics are shelved together, the run isn't broken up by AC, which was written after Batman Inc vol 1 but before Batman Inc vol 2.

4. Aesthetics. This one is tricky but I don't want some really thin tpb shelved between two really huge hardcovers, it just doesn't look good on a shelf. Absolute editions or Omnibuses are shelved together with regard to the previous criteria.

5. Character or publisher. The least important criteria. If I have two X-men comics on my shelf by different authors I will try to place them next to each other once every previous criteria has already been met. Likewise if I have a bunch or otherwise unrelated IDW comics.

New printing

Need to update my shelf pic

I just shove books in, except the really big ones go on the top shelf and most of the small ones go on one, lower shelf. Speaking of which, the only series that's actually in order is Usagi Yojimbo.

If you're buying Silver Surfer and Infinity Guantlet stuff, don't forget to get Silver Surfer Rebirth of Thanos which includes Thanos Quest the infinity guantlet prelude.

on the floor just like my floppy

I basically just clump things together by publisher, non-alphabetically. It's too much of a pain in the ass to have to move everything around with every new book I buy

I would like to get the legends of the dark knight (1989). Does DC have some collection?

by character then writer but the bigger hardcovers are on a separate shelf level

I put the really big ones on the bottom so my shelf wont tip over and maim me...

Batman and not Batman

Good call. Mine is connected to a really deep shelf where assorted stuff goes so it would take a lot for it to tip over.

Thanks. It's next on my list

is batman the only cape you have?
Im just wondering if its batman and other capes and non-capes or just batman and everything else.

Just Batman

Where's that bottom Hellboy figure from/made by?

Also, nice choice of creatorfu

And relatives

is the plague of frogs tpb ever going to be reprinted?

you dont sound autistic

My shelf is organized by the following order of importance:

Size: big books go on big shelf. Smaller/normal books go on normal shelf, and floppies go into the floppy ghetto.

"Genre Flow" : now this is some what arbitrary but it makes sense to me. Books are organized somewhat by genre but also are next to books of a similar genre like sci-fi is next to horror which flows into fantasy which flows into superhero, etc. Books that straddle the line are more at the ends of categories so that categories bleed into each other.

Author: if books of a similar genre have the same author, they are next to each other (in order of release date only if they are part of the same series).

Aesthetic: groups of same author books are organized next to other by how they look (color, size). If I'm having a dispute on how a book fits into genre flow, usually it's decided by what other similar books that book looks good next to.

Things that aren't relevant: publisher (i'm not running a bookstore).

Format/size, doesnt help that televisa has 2 sizes for trades, >publisher >alphabetical order of characters/ teams >chronological. For example my Loki goes siege, gillen, Fear itself/Journey into mystery.

Not exactly. That was an anthology series with a shit ton of writers and artists, and hasn't directly been collected. Some parts of it have popped up in other collections (like a few issues in each of the "No Man's Land" collections) like the "LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: MARSHALL ROGERS" and "TALES OF BATMAN: J.H. WILLIAMS III" collections, but it is incomplete.

There was a v2 that was completely collected, but that's because it was a recent digital book.

Dont die until my new order gets here

Format/Publisher, Kirby stuff, kinda.

I usually sort by shelf by smallest to largest so that I know what to scan first. The less I see on my shelf, the better.

Used to do divided by publisher then alphabetical by title.
Recently after moving I tried to do a thing with the cape comics where it was sorted by character, but in chronological order by first appearance, and then chronologically by release date. But this quickly became a problem, because what about characters with multiple incarnations? What about books with no clear subject, like 52? It just quickly became a pain in the ass.

So now it's alphabetical by title again, but then chronological within that, so for example, Showcase Presents Wonder Woman, then Wonder Woman by George Perez, WW by Mike Deodato Jr, WW by Greg Rucka, etc.

Latest. Lone Sloane is fucking fantastic. I wish I picked this up sooner. The Blutch book is pretty great too. Mostly one-pagers about jazz. Unfortunately I'm not well-versed enough to get a lot of the deep cuts.

Height, title. Though having a lot of books of differing size makes it annoying. I may start doing it by artist.

Are the two volumes on the left the samurai series that was in Garo?

other side is pretty cool someone had scanned the first three.
wtf is day of the flying head?

The conans just got here a few minutes ago, the floppies got last friday. I'll take a picture of my shelf later, I want to move it first

>Are the two volumes on the left the samurai series that was in Garo?

There were multiple, but you're probably thinking of Kamui Den. Kamui Den is slowly being worked on by Hox (I scanned the thing like two years ago). The volumes you see are by his former assistant, hence the similar style.

Nice Sloane

>Ghosts, etc
What is this?

so is this the shelf thread for the week?

Recently started buying the Grell reprints of his GA run and they changed logos on the spine at #6. My autism flared up pretty bad after sticking it in the shelf and noticing it had the old toilet seat logo for the first few then switched to the current one.

Seems like it.

I tried doing basically
*Type (archive editions, showcase, so on)
*Character
*Author

But it's not looking good. Some books are pretty large and need specific shelf spaces, so I'm probably going to just go by author and see how that works.

I divide up my shelves by company first, then by character family, then by character, then chronologically.

Day of the Flying Head is a Shintaro Kago comic published by Hollow Press. Guro comics about people who can detach their head and organs and flying around. Typical Kago.

Yeah, I was thinking of Kamui Den. Definitely looks like his style.

A collection of comics with varying artstyles and page compositions styles by the same author. One is about a man who works in a hospital with long underground tunnels and sees ghosts. The second is a weird blob boy going into a strange nightmarish forest. I don't really know how to describe the last one. It's very red and yellow.

The artist is Koyama Haruo. He's like 84 now. I also bought a recent reprint of his adaptation of the Kouga Ninja Scrolls. You can see some of his art here.

asa8.com/s/others/akame.html

>It's very red and yellow
Sounds awesome. I love red and yellow.

i have too many books and not enough shelf space and it makes me shelf conscious.

also mainly it means more work to get pics of everything

There is also black.

>also black
Amazing. What will they think of next?

I was mostly just looking for advice on how to organize my shelves, so i guess its a shelf thread.

I like to sort my shelves a couple ways.

I start with separation Publisher.

Then I separate by groups of of Cosmic, Mystic, Traditional, and Teams.

So, for my DC collection, I have Constantine, Swamp Thing, Trinity of Sin, etc.... Justice League Dark. Then I have Batman, Aquaman, Flash, etc... separate.

Finally, in the sections, I order it by release.

I read that one, it was wonderful

I bet Cloonan gives bomb head.

Is there anyway to read the Dennis O'Neil Batman books without forking out an arm and a leg for the floppies or dealing with the awful Neal Adams recolors?

Sadly no, they killed the Essential line RIGHT as they got to the Adams era like some sick joke.

big to little

Genre -> author -> alphabetical with oversized book on the bottom shelf

in came in this box. Found it at a local comic/toy store

I wouldn't know, I've met her twice and she is really cool, her boyfriend is probably one of the nicest people I have met in a long time, I would rather hang out with him desu

>walking in barnes and noble saw i kill giants fifth anniversary edition. i bought it paid 21 dollars and some cents. get home it's fucking 13 bucks on amazon and i have prime getting anything gets it to me free two days.
>fffffffff

Bane showing up and breaking Batman's back is good and then Azrael slapping Bane's shit is decent. Bruce taking the mantle back from Azrael is good. Everything in between is shit.

just take it back and say you bought it for a gift but the person already owned it

nah, i once had a comic collection worth a quarter of a mill and despite losing it. i always take a loss like this because i save more than the difference every single day on purchases. and i'm one superstitious mofo who believes you take your lumps when and if they show up otherwise they get worse.

shelf one

shelf two

shelf three

shelf four

So are Omnibus Books Sup Forums approved? All these years I have thought they would be the choice of casuals and Trades were the optimal choice for collections.

shelf five

shelf six

shelf seven

>be me
>go on Amazon looking for king city
>around $18 new
>around $9 used
>the Mexi in me doesn't mind bent corners
>buy used
>get this

I got everything I deserved

shelf eight

last one

It really comes down to where and how you read your comics... for example, if you regularly read on the bus, obviously an omni would be ridiculous....
Some people love omnis though because the size doesn't bother them reading at a table or desk, and you know you've got a huge chunk of stuff you like without worrying about certain volumes of tpb's going out of print as you're collecting them or whatever.

Personally I prefer the thicc tpb's that usually have around 3 regular tpb's worth of content.

>buying on amazon
>Expecting to get what you ordered
Did you learn your lesson user?

Why do you buy funko pops?

I just like them is all.

Guess I can't argue with that.

Ahh fair enough. I have recently just started collecting physical copies of tpbs. So far I have most Rebirth vol #1s and a few other selected series. After seeing the above Teen Titan Omins though I am interested... I just hate hardback.

first and last time i bought a used book on amazon it had a used condom between some pages and the pages were stuck together so i threw the book away and emailed amazon, they gave me a refund and some amazon credit on top then banned the seller

kek that seller got you good user!

Omnis are fine unless you're some manchild with T-rex arms that can't figure out how to read larger books.

i thought it was just the case of the pages not being properly cut and needing pulling apart because the seller had barely touched it but fuck nope

This.

anyone every bought a poster off the china sellers on ebay? i'm thinking of buying a "i kill titans movie poster' and was wondering if anyone had an experience or horror stories. wanna get a 27x40 size poster

I do alphabetical by Character/Title then try to do Chronological Canon then alphabetical by author. There are some exceptions where I group by author though, Miller and Moore are the two with this I do it most with I believe. Though honestly Year One and DKR should always bookend Batman

going by it being from chinese sellers it'll probably be somewhat low quality like 75dpi quality

One time an user wanted an I kill giants movie poster but didn't want to pay that much and ordered one from China and what he got said I kill Titans

if I took this off my wall would i die?

It would be extremely painful

Just got these and Mile High did a 60% sale last week so i've got a big order coming.

I love the art on shutter but im holding out for an ohc/omni

Are you shitting me? That's amazing and I want to believe you.

I'll argue you should really try to find the first two wars with Thanos too. His fight against Captain Marvel and then Warlock. That was some fantastic stuff.