There will never ever be another Shadow movie

>There will never ever be another Shadow movie

Counterpoint: There probably will.

counter-counterpoint: it'll be mimic marvel
>you and me shiwan, we'll dance the charlston right here

Yep, with a transgender Muslim black female playing the title character and fighting evil whitey.

Good. He doesn't need another one, at least not for now.
What he needs is a tv series that can properly reintroduce the agents, villains and settings to audiences and then show writers the true potential the series has, and remove the Shambala/evil warlord/redemption stuff off the plate.
He needs the Daredevil treatment.

Yer not wrong.

It can be a period piece, reboot to modern day or a reboot of Chaykin where the Shadow was active in the 30s-40's but has returned and begins to recruit.

>or a reboot of Chaykin
Please no. Anything but that,

Period piece would be the ideal option, at least to properly show people how the character was like before they start putting him in different time periods or whatever.

> A trailer for the new Shadow movie is released
What would be the instant turn off for you?
Not set in the past? Magic powers?
For me, it would be a lighter tone. The Baldwin movie is fun and all but if we get another quipping, suave Shadow I'm gonna fucking kill something

>What would be the instant turn off for you?
Scenes depicting Kent Allard or whatever backstory they make up for The Shadow as a focal point.
Quips.
Any references to Blood and Judgement or the 2017 Dynamite series.

I fear that whoever tries to make another Shadow movie might not learn from the mistakes of the 1994 movie and will instead repeat them but worse.
Not being set in the past could also be a really big problem but it's not impossible to do if the person behind it knows their stuff about the character.
And I think most fans expect The Shadow to have superpowers by this point. As long as he uses them cleverly and they don't overshadow his skills it's not a problem.

This. Make it an HBO series.

So did anyone else read this series or was I the only one who suffered through it?
I'm just glad it's finally over.

Same. Both series were just so fucking boring.

Honestly I don't think there's any single thing that I would consider intolerable without waiting to see how it's executed. So long as it doesn't look like complete shit from the first trailer to the last I'd probably give it a shot.

>What would be the instant turn off for you?
Benedict Cumberbatch as the Shadow would make me retch.

Don't even joke about that user.. I'm already triggered

Wow, quite the puritan. But I guess at this point the Shadow has been re-imagined and ripped off so much that it's pretty hard to get to the core of his character without hyper focusing on all the small things that make him unique

How open minded and reasonable of you. What are you doing on Sup Forums?
Also checking those sweet dubs

>Wow, quite the puritan
I'm not. I mentioned the origin story as a turn-off point because it's really not something the character needs for a movie, and the 1994 movie wasted too much time on a silly melodramatic backstory.

>I'm not.
Wow quite the denier too

As long as they have high cheekbones, literally anyone could play the shadow. I always thought pic related had the perfect face for it.

Why do you think I am a puritan?

I was mostly just joshing but it seems with most Shadow fans i've spoken to, they all prefer a more grounded and intelligent take on the character. And while I agree the baldwin movie was less than stellar (or comprehensible for that matter) I think the more fantastical elements of the shadow still has a lot of room for growth. But like most fans if there was gonna be a new film I would want it dark, gritty, period appropriate and smart.

>I think the more fantastical elements of the shadow still has a lot of room for growth.
I agree 100%. This is one of the reasons why I like the radio show, flawed as it is. It often played with giving The Shadow enemies that may, or may not have had, a paranormal origin, often leaving it to the imagination of the listener.
There's a very interesting contradiction in this part of the series because, at the same time The Shadow is partially based around Harry Houdini (who famously loathed fake spiritualists and people who made supernatural claims) and spends a lot of his time debunking ghost frauds and etc, there are clear supernatural elements right down to his very concept as a benign take on Dracula who weaponizes the fear people have of a cultural boogeyman.

>But like most fans if there was gonna be a new film I would want it dark, gritty, period appropriate and smart.
You don't really have to sacrifice the series being grounded and intelligent and it having supernatural elements. The thing is most writers approach this part of the series by either making it revolve around a magic super city of Shamballa, or hamfisted references to H.P Lovecraft, or both.
The movie fucked things up by just making him a Jedi and making it revolve around telepathic battles with a shitty CG dagger.
You just have to know how to approach and balance things sensibly.

don't even suggest this possibility

It would probably be entirely based on The Shadow 2017 series.

>2017 was 11 years ago

This was okay. The biggest problem with the first mini was that it did fine for the first five issues then the final issue hit everyone with the bizarre backstory for Shamba-La.

This second one seemed okay.

I think the IDEAL Shadow story would have Lamont do the impossible, like appear at two places at blink of an eye or have bullets pass through him, but all as mere tricks if the eye.
>Margo flirts with thug, slips him a concoction in his drink
>Man later feels dazed, he's alone
>The Shadow appears
Stuff like that where we can have the fun of him doing spooky crazy things but all within a realm of reason.

>it did fine for the first five issues then the final issue hit everyone with the bizarre backstory for Shamba-La
Both series dropped the ball around issue 3 when they kept going further and further into deconstructionist nonsense and lackluster resolutions to promising build-ups.
The Shamba-La backstory dump was just more noticeable, so much so that they clumsily pseudo-retconned it in the new series by stating the Cthulhu aliens were actually a hallucination Khan showed a dying Batman as he brought him back to life (a set-up they completely ignored after the 4th issue)

>This second one seemed okay
I feel the same way but only because my expectations were drastically lowered and because at least it ended on a positive note (in a rushed ending almost equally as stupid and out of place as the first series).
There were more things I liked in the 2nd series than there were in the 1st one, but it still doesn't make it any less of a waste of time.

>like appear at two places at blink of an eye or have bullets pass through him, but all as mere tricks if the eye.
That's pretty much how it goes in the pulps.
Walter Gibson was friends with Houdini as well as a professional magician himself who made a living exposing frauds and writing guides on how to perform magic tricks, and this shows up a lot on The Shadow.
Even when narrative convenience was at play, there is a believability to The Shadow's escapes, tricks, gadgets and feats because they were written by a guy who knew his shit about the subject matter and made a living writing about it. There's a surprising amount you can learn by reading The Shadow pulps, not just about magic. It's part of what made the series so special at the time.
It's like how early Batman stories actually delivered on the detective aspect because Bill Finger was crazy over gathering facts and trivia and then making stories out of them, and practically no writer since has been able to replicate that.

This is also why the first supervillain of the magazine (The Voodoo Master) was a fraudulent cult leader who operated under the guise of a dark magician and controlled people's minds, and why Shiwan Khan established himself as the main arch-nemesis (he actually had tremendous powers that surpassed even the radio Shadow and thus it took a much bigger effort on The Shadow's part to bring him down).

I really want to read the pulps but I have a hard time forking over the cash for reprints. Cause I really want to read all of them not just some. Is there any place where i could read them?

Doesn't The Shadow has like a few "personalities"? Public people he makes himself pass for, with different appearances and the like. Or I'm wrong? Because that could do for a pretty cool gimmick for a movie or a TV Show, more than even magic powers.

Go to the pastebin linked in this image.
You'll find links to read all pulps, as well as other publications, online and for free. At least half of them are in pdf format.

The two main "personalities" he has are Lamont Cranston (who's actually a real person he is impersonating) and Kent Allard, which was established as who he was before becoming The Shadow. Even then, Allard didn't really change the status quo that much and some of the last pulps implied he was just another disguise. Cranston is the most commonly used.

In the pulps he often disguises himself depending on the scene. Kind of like Arsene Lupin, he spends at least half of his time pretending to be someone else and it's actually part of the mystery trying to figure out if the new character is a civilian, a villain, an agent, or The Shadow in disguise. The first story alone has him disguised as 7 people and he has other recurring personas like Henry Arnaud, Phineas Twombley, Fritz the janitor, and about 50 others (not counting the nameless disguises).

But I feel like if you get too hung up on the "multiple personalities" thing you risk making him too similar to Moon Knight.

Oh, I see. In any case, yeah, I was thinking more about the semi-constant disguises than actually about personalities. Not many heroes play that trope nowadays: not even Sherlock Holmes. who was another that did (the first famous one that played that, I think?).

Moon Knight has a lot more of The Shadow than he has of Batman, even if people insist in that stupid meme. Which is also the reason why I like moony so much: it's very pulpy, for a character from the late 70's.

Does anyone have any radio recs?

I dunno, but I've seen some playlist in Spotify, if it helps.

Bless you user
You do the Lord's work

There is one album on spotify with a few Orson wells episodes that are pretty good. The internet archive has a huge selection if you just wanna dive in

Make it.

How much of the radio show recordings have been found?

Temple Bells of Neban
The Gibbering Things
The Creeper (Orson Welles era)
Night Without End
The Man Who Murdered Time