Year One, Year Two, Year Three

>Year One, Year Two, Year Three
>Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory
>Zero Year
Which was the best "early Batman years" continuity?

The second one, you shouldn't even be asking this.

Year One, Legends of the Dark Knight

Batman Odyssey

second, and no one unironically believes otherwise

Am batman scholar, can confirm

Second one, but add Year Two into the mix. It slots in fine.

Mike Barr is a hack who devoted his life to inflicted his mediocrity onto america's most beloved characters

It's nowhere near as good as any of those others are, but it's a fine adventure story that codifies his distaste for guns.

what

Batman and the Outsiders is that bad?

it's laughably bad

War of Jokes and Riddles is the GOAT.

What was the point?

not even a origin story..hell nothing even memorable about it. WOW BATMAN THOUGHT ABOUT KILLING THE RIDDLER CHILLING

fuck off tom

Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory + the flashbacks of The Killing Joke

What's a decent follow up to Dark Victory?

I've read Robin Year One + Batgirl Year One which sort of continue on from this continuity.

Came here to post this.

I just kinda skimmed through Year Two. Reaper was an interesting villian, it’s always strangely humanizing when Batman gets his ass kicked -by a new character no less.

I didn’t think it was earned that Batman would use a gun. Nor that Batman would humor Joe Chill for so long.

How did he ever earn back Gordon’s trust after this story?

spbp
/thread

Wagner's two series Monster Men and the other one. Legends of the Dark Knight as well.

I unironically really like Zero Year.
Year One + Loeb/Sale is still better obviously, but I think Zero Year was lots of fun and probably the best nu-Batman story I've read.

Does Zero Year contradict Year One?

Heavily. It was created to write it out of canon while borrowing the few elements Snyder wanted to keep.

This. The Gardner Fox re-imaginings are wonderful.

What were the main contradictions? I never read Zero Year, but loved Year One.

I've seen Bruce parents murdered so many times that its already as if I did myself

"Batman is a pussy."
~ old jungle saying.

Year One.

Okay, so imagine if instead of starting with Bruce's first struggles and using Gordon as a framing device for four issues, you wrote a 12 issues decompressed maxi-event with a tone of tie-ins.

And instead of Bruce slowly getting accustomed to everything and working his way up to the modern Batman, he starts by doing crazy action movie bullshit and testing his sci fi gadgets well before even donning a cowl. Instead he wears a bunch of impossibly perfect masks of other people.

And instead of Gotham having slowly fallen apart as real cities do, it's actually still a lovely place before Red Hood fucks it up and it becomes Mad Max over a few months.

And it's also mixed in with the Red Hood origin story, and there's a subplot about Bruce's Uncle Philip who is part of Red Hood's gang.

And it's ALLLLL the Rogue's Gallery's origin story as well!

It's fucking terrible. It just cops a few elements from Miller (and other things as well. Look kids, the purple gloves for his first time out! ooh, look, the iconic Tec 27 cover!) but otherwise it just overwrites existing origin stories with the same arc Snyder kept telling over and over throughout his run. Big conspiracy. Batman gets screwed. Rises again. Catwoman's origin and the way Gordon came to the city and pretty much everything you might like about Year One is not canon to DC right now, and it's just silly.