Why is it so hated?

why is it so hated?
Frollo is one of if not the best disney villain

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7x_CgJMu19c
drive.google.com/file/d/0B_8iU2zi5GUtZjJkMmJDcGp1alk/view
youtube.com/watch?v=cMGTepGmW8k
youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZT_8YnUuI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Esmeralda_(opera)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its my favorite disney movie.

Because it isn't like other Disney movies.

Otherwise it's a solid film. People say the gargoyles ruin it, and I don't like them either, but I don't think they're too much of a problem.

I think Notre Dame is a pretty cool guy he kills gypsies and doesn't afraid of anything

The Gargoyles
That's it, they absolutely fucking ruined the movie and if it wasn't for them it may have gone down as the greatest disney movie of all time.
Also, the broadway musical is absolutely fucking fantastic, easily fixing all the issues the movie had, if there's one movie I would mind a live action remake of it's Hunchback but used the musical as the basis instead of the animated film.

Is it hated?
The only complaint I hear about now is the gargoyles and how it isn't as dark as the original
Otherwise people nowadays think it's great

Explain how they ruined it

It glorifies and glamorizes Gypsies as being more than filthy no good thieves.
Frollo did nothing wrong.

He fell for a gypsy though

Like most remakes they only ever want to remake the popular stuff.

Not OP, but I think they're annoying as fuck. Also, at first it seems like they're a figment of Quasimodo's imagination but then in the final battle they're fighting too. Are they real or what?

The kill the tone every single time they're on screen. The movie has soft moments sure, but their appearance is just way too fucking "cartoony" for lack of a better term. They suck any amount of weight or drama out of a scene. It's really obvious they were put in there to lighten the movie, but god damn was it just too much.

on the plus side it wouldn't be hard at all to do an edit of the movie that removes 99% of the Gargoyle Trio's scenes and not have it impact the movie's overall quality(and personally while they are annoying, I find them to only really be intolerable during that song they have)

I love this movie. I just wish someone could make a seamless gargoyle-less edit.

OF all the films they could have remade, it should’ve been this one. If they cut out all gargoyles and have great effects for hellfire, it would be good.

It almost makes it hard to appreciate Heavens Light with them doing their shitty shenanigans through the whole scene.

Every hero has his flaws.

The 1997 live action version with Salma Hayek as Esmeralda is pretty good.

because it has massive tone and marketing problems

the idiots at marketing sell it as a light hearted kids movie, people dislike it for not being what they were promised

furthermore the few light hearted more kid friendly bit clash terribly with the rest of the movie, the movie improves amazing by simply cutting the Gargoyles although that doesn't single handedly solve some of the tone problems

Kinda hard to laugh at a joke about a horse sitting on the guards while Frollo is attempting to burn people at the stake on screen

Whether they were real or not wouldn't have made a difference honestly, regardless they still dragged down the film by being far too "comic relief-y" in a movie that really didn't work with disney-tier comic relief.
Yes, I know I just said the problem with a disney movie was that it felt too much like disney, but really the whole movie did have a gravity and tone to it that most their other films occasionally got close to but never reached.

Since when is it hated? I’ve only ever seen it slightly under appreciated.

It’s considerably harder now to search for or talk about the other live action Beauty and the Beasts now that Disney made their remake, I wouldn’t want to see that happen again with the other Hunchback of Notre Dame movies.

user have you heard the soundtrack for the stage version? I just wish I could have seen that. No need for a shitty movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=7x_CgJMu19c

>it wouldn't be hard at all to do an edit of the movie that removes 99% of the Gargoyle Trio's scenes and not have it impact the movie's overall quality
this seems like something that should already exist

>You don't want to hurt me Quasimodo
>Yeeees you do

I think it does actually

Disney glorifies and glamorizes women in general so you can't really hold it against them. Disney heroines are perfect wife materials while real women are cheaters and liars.

just did a search and found such an edit;

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_8iU2zi5GUtZjJkMmJDcGp1alk/view

Ur opinion?

youtube.com/watch?v=cMGTepGmW8k

This movie and Pocahontas confused me as a kid because I was expecting a simple story where the hero gets the girl at the end, but it didn't happen. But on the other hand, when I watched The Hunchback as a grown-up, I felt disappointed because all the interesting moral ambiguity from the original book was left out from this adaptation. This story was not good material for a Disney movie in the first place; its themes are too mature for children to appreciate, yet it's still too childish for grown-up tastes.

I'm not watching that video. I did read the article though, and the whole thing sounds stupid for multiple reasons. Like for example for the fact that gypsies aren't black.
And if they wanted to be faithful to the story, in that case Esmeralda shouldn't have particularly gypsy-like looks because she's not one at all. She was born to a French woman but kidnapped by gypsies. They left a deformed baby behind in her place; Quasimodo's the one who's actually a gypsy.

>well received disney movie that isn't as popular as many others, but still well known and has a good ammount of following
>"a bloo bloo why do people HATE this movie??"

Sounds almost like victim complex here.

no way. cgi hellfire sounds awful and i'm honestly glad they aren't planning on remaking this. it would just be a fucking insult to the original

also i honestly don't even care about the gargoyles that much except for hugo, the other two are only mildly annoying

Because when watching this, a person inevitably has one of the two reactions:
1) Compare it to other Disney movie and see how it's actually darker and more daring than the other movies
2) Compare it to the original novel and see some dark elements implemented but the overall product still being kinda dumbed down

who even hates this film apart from soccer moms and annoying book fanboys?

Some times I wonder what kind of movie we'd have gotten had those gargoyles been replaced for pic related

>Quasimodo's the one who's actually a gypsy

Just because the gypsies were in possession of a deformed baby doesn’t necessarily mean a gypsy birthed him. He may have been bought or stolen or adopted before being swapped for Esmeralda.

how is the first one a bad thing?
if anything, it makes the movie more appealing to grown ups and 90s kids who're in their 20s now

I've literally never met anyone that hated the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Is that a thing?

I liked the gargoyles.

POUR THE WINE AND CUT THE CHEESE
youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZT_8YnUuI

This

Hunchback is a book not meant for comic relief

What do actual Romani people think of Hunchback? Do they realize the book was written in part as a protest against the mistreatment of their kind or do they go full retard and claim it's racist like blacks do with Uncle Remus?

Attached: Gypsy Holocaust thumbie.png (1440x1872, 932K)

What about Pierre Gringoire and Jehan Frollo?

You know what’s one thing that ticks me off? In the direct to DVD sequel to this, they indroduce another girl that Quasimodo falls for and in the end they get married. That makes me so unreasonably mad because it cheapens the morals and Quasimodo’s character growth in the first movie and it’s so....saccharine it feels like a pity prize. I’m so fucking autistic.

Attached: 2D90ECDB-186A-48CD-8BE5-95F6E41A793C.jpg (315x326, 19K)

People wanted to see Esmeralda kicking the bucket, like in the novel.

>Pierre Gringoire

I suppose you have a point there

>Jehan Frollo

He was just depressing

Pierre did appear in that direct-to-video Hunchback movie and it had talking gargoyles as well .

Attached: IMG_2537.jpg (1512x2560, 3.76M)

I thought he was funny in how much of an asshole he was. His death was played for drama, but until that point he seemed fairly comedic to me.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, it's just where the difference in reaction comes from

I'm upset that Esmeralda and Quasimodo didn't end up together. Instead it's the strapping 6'5, blonde white guy

Solid movie but the gargoyles drag it down.

In the original novel, Esmeralda was an ordinary french child swapped with Quasimodo at birth, because the gypsies didn't to keep that abomination. So Esmeralda is actually a rural frenchwoman, and Quasimodo is the gypsy.
Is your sturmnigger heart satisfied now, user?

>Esmeralda is actually a rural frenchwoman
>rural

What? I was pretty sure her mom was a parisian noblewoman, or at least middle upper class.

Romani can't read. But once they realize it they'd try to steal every profit made from that book.

I don't think they understand what intellectual property means. They only know how to steal trash; despite the fact that their name is explicitly stated in the title of Gypsy Ballads, by Federico García Lorca, they never tried to get anything from it.

I have however heard of a time they tried to sue the Spanish language because it used the word "gypsy" as a synonym of "thief".

Wasnt Esmeralda a white girl adopted in the novel?

I recently watched it for the first time and didn't really like it. I didn't mind the gargoyles at all but it was weird that the protagonist wasn't the hero but rather a catalyst for the hero gets the girl plot.

LIKE FAIER
HELL FAIER

>adopted

Do you mean stolen? Because if so then yes.

Galicians were also pissed because the RAE defined "gallego" as dumb.

Attached: IMG_2538.jpg (470x423, 51K)

Welcome to real life

Attached: 1427764745052.jpg (1024x768, 49K)

i really hate quasimotto's singing voice's obnoxious vibrato.

and it's doubley weird hearing it come out of that character.

being a deformed freak like that isn't something you can make a disney flick out of, you need something like ron peralman's performance in The Name of the Rose to convey the pain of what this truly means.

so put simply, the movie is just fucked up. there are moments of greatness, but any potential true meaningful vision is hampered by disneys need to inject vapid marketability into it.

Attached: char.jpg (231x311, 17K)

I actually think that this movie improved story from the book

In my opinion book story doesn't have any build up to a culmination moment or anything, movie fixe it
Removing Gringoire and merging him into Clopin, one character, was a great idea because Gringoire is so useless and pointless character and his scenes don't build up anything
Topsy-Turvy parade and mocking of Quasimodo was great, in the book festival of fools is pointless and meaningless, no message there or anything

The only minus is that they had to make it politically correct and changed Frollo into judge instead of the archdeacon

And yes Gargoyles ruined this movie
they were too weird came up from nowhere and were really annoying. Too goofy and wtf for more mature movie
Jar Jar syndrome

Attached: tumblr_n07gf8AL1Y1s0mof7o3_r2_1280.jpg (1280x722, 176K)

>French girl
>white
We've been over this.

>Lady Frollo
Wouldn't she's be a abbess instead?

A lot of the points you’ve praised actually come from older film adaptations that predate Disney. It didn’t go straight from book —> Disney film. There were other big movies that did the story and tweeked things from the book before Disney got to it.

Otherwise you’re mostly right that these things served as improvements in the novel to film process, just clarifying that that’s not all straight from Disney’s doings.

interesting
never saw any Hunchback movies

are you talking about that one with Salma Hayek or other ones?

projection much?

Oh hey, it's that movie.

Attached: the secret of the hunchback ending.jpg (689x1313, 181K)

but it's not hated. Hellfire is a pretty good song. The gargoyles are generally despised, and no one talks about them except to talk about how much they hate them.

I’ve heard good things I think about one from the 40s, but I haven’t seen it. I have seen and loved the silent film version, though. Even that one already starts to change things from the book and those changes later end up influencing Disney’s, but I’ve heard the story kind if evolved progressively over multiple productions by the time Disney took a whack at it.

Kind of like how the Sherlock Holmes stories never had him wear a deerskin coat or how Dracula as he’s modernly perceived is different from the pure book version.

I'm not on the spectrum but agree 100%.
I'd like to see him get a girl but I'm not sure how to do it without the pity prize feeling.

>why is it so hated?
It's not. It's just not showered in unbridled praise. It's a generally liked movie, though not a favorite to many.

Hell, Victor Hugo himself did the first adaptation. He was the first to turn Phoebus into a heroic character for example.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Esmeralda_(opera)

How many animated versions of this book exist? I remember the magical adventures of quasimodo from my childhood.

Why is it so popular to begin with? Hugo's not the first people that comes to mind when you think about children's cartoons.

Attached: RcarWr7[1].jpg (1024x838, 245K)

Them being real and not just figments of Quasi's mind.

>Salma Hayek as Esmeralda
Wew I didn't know this

Attached: 14951153187.png (790x758, 398K)

Well I kinda ignored the gargoyles and focused on the fact that it is the most mature disney film up to this day.
It was my favourite disney cartoon since I was 7 (1990 here)

I find it more disturbing then original.

I could be wrong (I have the actual book), but doesn't Quasi die alone in the book by starving to death while he lays with the dead gypsy girl in her tomb?

He is kill. Correct

Attached: DisneyMovies.jpg (2236x2765, 1.99M)

You put Lilo and Stitch into high tier right now you piece of shit

>tangled
>fox in the hound
bad

Attached: 1518488763247.gif (640x266, 3.26M)

>Oliver and Company
>shit
Nice bait, kiddo

>Pocahontas was decent

Motherfucker what is Aristocats doing at the bottom of that list?

Imagine being this gay

Hellfire is the best Disney song. Fite me.

>The only minus is that they had to make it politically correct and changed Frollo into judge instead of the archdeacon
That was before it was cool to hate on the Catholic Church. If Disney ever remakes this, you can bet that Frollo will be a clergyman (and probably also a pedophile).

>Meet the Robinsons not in Shit Tier
???

It wasn't that bad.

>they really were faking being disabled to get more money from begging
>laughing at a public execution

What the fuck who are the good guys in this movie?

Attached: clopin.png (1070x572, 753K)

The Church oddly enough.

Literally no one is a good guy in the book

>Planes not even on the list

Attached: 1496092473982.jpg (536x536, 47K)

The whole point of this is built to show that Frollo was right at along

Who the fuck hates Hunchback?

In real life everyone I talk to say they either like the movie, or they fucking love the movie.

Everyone on this board typically loves the shit out of it except for the Gargoyles.

>Frollo did nothing wrong.
This. Gypsies ruin Paris.

Attached: gypsy paris.jpg (468x449, 90K)

>Pic related, half this list.

Attached: 1461882865520.gif (288x198, 1.45M)

Going off anti-Gypsy logic here;
Frollo did burn down half of Paris, probably killing a bunch of innocent french men and women, and assault the Holy Church just because he got an old-man hardon for one gypsy lady.