Why is it so hard to get Tom and Jerry right...

Why is it so hard to get Tom and Jerry right? It feels like every attempt that's been made after the 50's has fallen flat somehow, even Chuck Jones couldn't do it

Attached: download (4).jpg (250x188, 10K)

Fuck you, the chuck jones run was good.
Tom and Jerry Kids and Tales are both pretty decent, not great, but decent.

It'd need to be an exact replica of the 50's shorts for it to work, same animation, same music, same humor, same everything. But nobody wants to go through that challenge.

I like that Chuck Jones' Tom looked a bit like the Grinch

Attached: Haunted_Mouse_-_Tom_approaches_Jerry.jpg (500x375, 96K)

>Why is it so hard to get Tom and Jerry right?
Comedic timing and dramatic irony, mostly. A lot of people think that just any old slapstick will do.

>chuck jones run was good
Like this guy. Chuck's run was nothing but random slapstick with the occasional exaggerated expression. His Tom & Jerry was pretty much the same as his Roadrunner & Coyote. The only real difference was that the latter was shallow slapstick to begin with, so there wasn't a legacy to which it served as an affront.

They lack that MGM Hannah Barbera touch. It's a charm that's hard to describe but only really exists in the Golden Age of Hollywood.

>chuck jones run was good?
Had the 2nd shitiest art style and music.

Good ol' Sup Forums and their garbage opinions

Good ol' neo-Sup Forums and trying to desperately set the bar lower so the retards at command.
Your era of trash ends now, faggot. Tom did everything wrong and is to blame for everything.
If you want a mouse that deserved to be called an asshole, a psychopath, an double asshole then look no further than the Itchy and Scratchy show.

Among the other reasons brought up already, Tom and Jerry's formula only really works as a seven minute short. The hour long direct to video movies they keep pumping out, crossing over with other franchises is not doing any favors for anyone.

I'm hoping WB is taking the hugely negative reaction to the Willy Wonka crossover as a sign to not make any more of those.

There's speculation that those are just part of a money laundering scheme.

Imo Chuck jones is best one

I lose my shit everytime he punches around the corner

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-10-10-24-59.png (1280x720, 618K)

Ah who am I kidding. The next crossover will be something even more outrageous and they'll just capitalize on the memes as everyone watches it anyway just to see how crazy it really is. This is going to continue for at least another several years.

T&J is a product of its era, it didn't require voice acting(save for the occasional character, pain shouts or a joke) to tell a story and just relied on having great music and fluid animation. Chuck Jones era while not the best one, its still quite good for the same reasons as the roadrunner which is quick and fast sequences.

>chuck jones run was good
Christ no. It was the most tasteless of them all. At least a shitty cartoon can be entertaining by how bad it is. His shorts were just pure mediocrity and sucked all the fun from T&J

Gene Deitch gets a free pass for giving us the "how to make a cartoon" short. That one was god tier.

But to answer your question OP the HB era was great because of the classical music combined with slapstick. People seriously underestimate how important the music was in the shorts. It was the thing that made T&J stand out from other cartoons from the era. While most of them just had musical numbers T&J was pure music with maybe a bit of dialogue here and there.

Jesus nevermind. I didn't realized Deitch was behind Switchin' Kitten. Still not as bad as the 70s dark ages though.

>I'm hoping WB is taking the hugely negative reaction to the Willy Wonka crossover as a sign to not make any more of those.
They are legally obligated to. Same reason why Flintstones and Skooks get movies.

Can you explain? Does it have to do with preventing them from becoming public domain?

>Why is it so hard to get Tom and Jerry right?

Because every modern attempt to revive the character is done by writers who clearly don't care about animation and are just biding their time until CBS picks up their spec script for Young Sheldon.

Take a look at the modern Mickey Mouse cartoons by Disney. The reason why those shorts are so full of energy and creative visual gags is because the team behind them are passionate animators/storyboard artists.

No. A big mistake with modern reboots is trying to replicate a lost era, instead of being their own thing. Tom & Jerry Tales tried that with mixed results.

In short? I believe that was cinema x television. The classics from the 50's were cinema pieces, with a proper budget and animation. Anything that came later was for television, with all the loss of quality that comes with it. Compare the animation of Aladdin movie to the tv series.

Tom and Jerry Tales was GOAT. Fuck you.

>even Chuck Jones couldn't do it
stop whinning

Even worse than Gene Deitch's run?

I actually like the Deitch episodes because of how disturbing and creepy they are

>DICKEY MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEE

The music and timing. There'll never be another episode like Johann Mouse.