Redpill me on Nam

What was the real reason we invaded? We don't go to other countries just to protect democracy. What did we have to gain by fighting a gook war?

I think the legit reason was to stop the spread of communism. Not that it was a good reason mind you. It was pur start of policing the world

Our*

Russian expansionism SE Asia. Those were Russian pilots in those migs we were shooting down.

It was a proxy war on a major scale between the US and USSR. It was stop the spread of communism as this user already stated. Read a god damn history book once in awhile. This question does not deserve its own thread. sage

Also to expand the people back then realized the war was bullshit. But the directed their anger against the soldiers(who also thought it was bullshit) more then the government itself. I think if more energy was directed towards the go ernment maybe we could have stopped our global police efforts that we still have going on but idk

the military industrial complex man

Combo of a few things.

1) French tried to restart their Empire after having their asses handed to them, and it quickly became apparent they couldn't stop an insurrection by a Vietnamese cook.

2) U.S. interests in Japan/South Korea were beginning to be central to the great game in the world against the Soviets.

3) The British genuinely kicked the arse of the Malayans - and the Yanks thought they could do the same.

4) China! Fell in '49, and this was part of the security fence (Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam) around it.

Truth be told, I know the left like to simplify Vietnam as loads of Yanks going around burning down hamlets and killing kids... But the communists were evil, ruthless fecks from the get-go when they started to gain a foothold in the North. Ho Chi Minh isn't the cuddly teddybear history makes him out to be.

(((USA))) was just trying to spread some freedom.

>maybe we could have stopped our global police efforts that we still have going on but idk
a lot of you guys say this like it has no upsides for united states. the political influence alone has made us intervention worthwhile from a state-interest perspective.

and now, when russia is attempting to exert its political will more forcefully than at any time since the cold war, you idiots want to roll over and get belly rubs from putin.

Man, you weren't there, man

No we just dont want to go to war which is something our government loves to do

To expand the market under the control of Wall street.

Errr, I mean, to fight communism of course! You don't hate freedom do you? Why are you against America?

All of these plus the fact that it would have been very damaging to our credibility if we had denied South Vietnam military aid after promising to provide it if they were ever attacked, and during the Cold War credibility was vital

Back then, the "Domino Effect" theory stated that if one state in asia would adopt communism then all would. Ironically, that's what happened after the US lost the war because everyone afterwards looked at vietnam and thought "well USA are fucking bastards, lets try the other thing"

We kicked ass and saved half of Korea.

Thought Vietnam was going to be a piece of cake.

I'm familiar with that. I had figured that there were other motives. Why would we care so much about a third-world piece of shit? What was even in it for the Soviets if Vietnam became communist? Bananas and coffee?

The message desu

Because it was seen as crucial to the economic development of Japan and South Korea to have unfettered access to the Vietnamese market

It prevented americucks from posting in "You can only post in this thread if your country never lost a war" threads.

>inb4 non-country

Global conflicts post-WWII became cloak-and-dagger proxy wars for two warring factions withinf the United States government: Team Blue, headed by the Department of State, versus Team Read, headed by the Department of Defense.

This is why all these revolutionaries that require American engagement seem to be so flush with new means of war; they were previously supplied by one of the prior sides.

Cuba dosen't count? It was the most impressive military failure of it's time. In fact, it was so failed they decided to pretend they never tryed to liberate the country.

I Went to Vietnam during the summer. Wonderful country with wonderful people.
I Went to all museums I could, I checked out the tunnels, I spoke to people about the war.
What the fuck did you guys do? Its the greatest war crime ever commited and nobody is held responsible for it. Fuck you America.

At least our country exists.

If I remember correctly Cuba wasn't a formal invasion. America could have invaded Cuba easily if they didn't have nukes.

Yeah, fuck us for helping. Have fun with Russia because we won't be making that mistake again.

>The entire political establishment is butthurt that Trump won
>because Hillary Clinton was supposed to take up smoking and become the Administrator
Mère de Dieu.

i took a class on the history of the Nam so i'm pretty much an expert on the subject.
those gooks have been at war for over 1000 years, the frenchies wanted a pet asian country like the other countries, they picked the wrong one. us of a goes in to save france, france hauls ass and leave us there. politicians fuck everything up, we pull our limp dick out, nva kill a shit load of the non vc, now they are not at war since.

I'm visiting in janurary. flying into Hanoi, and then leaving from HCMC 1.5 months later.

any tips?

World hegemony.

For the wealthy elite anyway.

>invaded

it started out as us helping the French keep their colonies in order. then the French bailed, so we made it a fight against communism