Has there been any writer with a bigger grudge than him?

Has there been any writer with a bigger grudge than him?

Attached: B60A40C0-A0D1-4253-8772-397376254077.png (588x688, 951K)

Probably, but I don't blame him for having a grudge. He puts out Watchmen and the only thing the industry and the fans take away from it is how gritty it is. So all the clones that come out are just dark and gritty with zero substance. Almost all of his work has been repurposed for a quick dollar. In the past few years we have seen a Watchmen prequel, a DC event centered around the Watchmen, and it doesn't end there. Tom Strong has shown up in the new Mr. Terrific series and Promethea showed up in Justice League of America. We aren't too far off from V showing up in Batman.

Lots probably, yeah. The "grudge" is made legendary by fans and media. To him it's, "eh, fuck the big two I'm gonna a do my own thing, now on with it..."

BYRNE.

such a sad timeland

The grittiness is literally the entirety of what Watchmen was, though. It was just first and well written.

The newest DC event is literally DR MANHATTAN VERSUS SUPERMAN: GRUDGE MATCH so he ended up being totally justified.

DC made the exact mistakes with comprehending Watchmen that he knew they would

1. It was not first
2. It was a reaction to the direction the industry was going in. It was saying "this is the logical extreme of superheroes taking themselves so seriously: something that's no longer really superheroes at all"
Instead of taking this as a message that Marvel and DC should take a look at where they're going and keep themselves rooted in idealism and fantasy, most writers and fans chose to fully embrace the cynical future that Watchmen was showing.

Moore himself doesn't seem to have that much of a grudge since he really only complains about the people who fucked him when asked by interviewers, he doesn't really go on incoherent ramblings without notice like how Sup Forums perceives him to be. That being said, he got fucked pretty royally by DC. They essentially scammed him out of Watchmen's rights then stole his ABC line right from under him not long after. I'm surprised he's not more bitter.

>The grittiness is literally the entirety of what Watchmen was, though.
That's a really shallow reading of Watchmen.

Right. Really, his whole attitude for the situation was simply, "OK, I don't like how DC handled this situation, therefore I won't work with them again", and then ABC got bought out and he found himself involuntarily working for DC again.

The grittiness was a critique. It was Moore saying "When your heroes are like THIS they end up as a bunch of self-absorbed perverts."

He should've know he was having too many faith in people's average intelligence, honestly. It you pull out something cool and somehow thoughtful, most people is gonna get from it what makes your work look cool and thoughtful, not actually what makes it be so.

It's just how the world works most of the time. But it's especially true for works of fiction that are aimed for a public that goes looking for entertainment.

Even then it was how WB treated him not DC that made him leave the second time. Paul Levitz did his best to mend bridges.

Some producer for the V for Vendetta movie lied and said he had spoken to Moore and gotten approval, Moore understandably was pissed. Levitz went to WB to have the statement recanted, but of course WB backed a major producer over just a comic writer. So Moore left.

If anything, that's one of the reason why I love Moore as a writer. He trusts his readers to have the intelligence. Still has faith in his fellow people.
In spite of it all.

Todd MacFarlane?

what happened with him?

I get it, but damn, he definitely set himself to disappointment.

got butthurt at Marvel because he didn't own anything he created there and so he stopped working with them and made Image comics

yeah it's kinda annoying

I can see the point, but he should also consider it flattering that his work is so popular that people want some extension of it. Don't get me wrong, I HATE Before Watchmen, Doomsday Clock, and any other half-asses continuation/prequel of his stuff, but if I was him I'd be flattered.

>Has there been any writer with a bigger grudge than him?

DITKO

>He puts out Watchmen and the only thing the industry and the fans take away from it is how gritty it is.

That didnt really happened and the industry in general wasnt affected by it.

>That didnt really happen

Have we been through the same 90s?
More recently, I can't but be flabbergasted at the number of comments about both the abortion movie and the comic that see Rorschach as the "badass hero".

Dave Sim, with his grudge against half of the human race.

>Writers with bigger grudges

In Sup Forums media? No.

In /lit/ media? Everyone is salty as fuck.

When Fry did the audio for the first HP audio book, and JK mentioned she was making another, he condescendingly went 'good for you'.

She then decided to put the line 'Harry pocketed it' in every single book, because he said he had trouble saying it.

The author of the Witcher series is pissed because he took a slightly higher amount of initial money over a share of profits/merchandising rights for the games, which has fucked him over financially.

Tolkien got annoyed anytime someone compared his books to WW2.

Orwell... to be fair, he had a really rough life in terms of the causes he supported, who were either crushed or turned corrupt. But yeah, he was slightly bitter.

There was someone Terry Pratchett remarked about disliking, but I can't remember who it was.

Oh, and I suppose King probably dislikes a couple of people, unless he's just a really chill guy. There's only so many times someone can butcher your work, especially when some of it wasn't that great to begin with.

This isn't even getting into the people who write succesful novels, and immediately scream into the mouthpiece 'You know who I hate? FAGGOTS', thus ending their career.

>Have we been through the same 90s?

The 90's had nothing to do with watchmen you dumb faggot.

>it was just first

LMAO, wow, you need to read more.

The "grittiness" of Watchmen wasn't even a thing, it just the style that he went into it, to try and pull back the curtain on super hero's lives (which had already been done numerous times before).

Watchmen was just really, really good. That is all. It wasn't some huge "critique" on the industry like revisionists like to think, it was just a neat idea that turned into a classic comic.

The way it reads is really out-dated though, and I would happily suggest other runs from even earlier over Watchmen nowadays.

Squadron Supreme > Watchmen though, right?

He's a pretty chill guy if you actually read whole interviews, aside from being pissed at Marvel/DC/Hollywood, which, fair enough. The only thing you can say is that he begrudges people dumb superhero stories that he used to enjoy too, but after you've written Watchmen or Top 10, everything else would start to look pretty useless too, admit it.

No, but is great, thanks for talking about it. I'm tired of manchildren pretending they know shit.

>This isn't even getting into the people who write succesful novels, and immediately scream into the mouthpiece 'You know who I hate? FAGGOTS', thus ending their career.
Who are these people? I want to read their books.

>HOW DARE YOU MAKE FANFICTION OF MY FANFICTION

He's kind of a hypocrite.

Watchmen is as much as a fanfiction of the Charleston characters as Deadpool is a fanfiction of Deathstroke.

Kirby's kids are still suing DC and he's been dead 30 years.

I was just lazy b8ing Watchmen is definitely better