What went right?

What went right?

Attached: C3ADAD33-ECD2-495A-9ADE-4F2762752D8F.jpg (1024x549, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wojq9vj4BK4
youtube.com/watch?v=anndNbRjOeE
youtube.com/watch?v=KUgO7NtgNF0
youtube.com/watch?v=AqkThUecFxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9mfNOW0vTV8
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It’s a movie about black people
Any other outcome and there would’ve a huge backlash eventually leading to Civil War 3: Race War.

Eh, it was a plain solid movie.

On the better half of Marvel films

What always goes right

It's Based Marvel baby

It was already a large franchise with loyal customers to begin with, mixed with promises of something new enough to differ from the vast majority the other films but not different enough to scare away customers.

Brownie points, easily the most overrated superhero movie ever.

>mcu movie
>one of the best mcu movies
>solid marketing

If you want me to say because black people then that's only part of it.

A lot

Attached: 1520293222036.jpg (299x622, 70K)

Whoops, here's it updated

Attached: 1520789249403.jpg (293x566, 71K)

Is BP Marvel’s fastest movie to reach 1 billion? Or was that Avengers 2?

Engaging plot, strong and likeable supporting cast, interesting and unique setting and costume design, and a villain that kind of had a point.

Identity politics pandering

you just keep screenshots of the money movies make on your computer?

They aparently (didn't see it, don't plan to) made one of the better Marvel movies. If it was bad it would die alongside A Wrinkle in Time.

Notice how cape movie threads are always about "sales = quality"?

Because those threads are filled with Sup Forums fags

He asked why it was successful, not why was it good. In this case it managed to be both but one doesn't equate the other.

It's just one guy, actually. He used to be a namefag.

>In this case it managed to be both
Yeah, right. If it had flopped you'd be hating it to death.

Amazing movies that should succeed but fail miserably exist all the time.

Fuck dude, Rango was a financial failure and that is objectively the greatest animated film of the 21st century.

>In the BHM
>Praised by all the left
>Lots of free advertisements
>Nobody can say that is bad
Best marketing campaign ever for an average Marvel flick about a literally who hero

>pretending to like good movies
Too late, Sup Forums.

>good movies
It's alright user, as long as you agree with me that Rango is good you'll always be my nigga.

Niggers got a movie that was not by the Wayan's brothers or Tyler Perry and now think they have goten the intellectual blakc culture equivalent of a Orson Welles movie on screen.

You know why it is so simple to make "great movies about black culture"? Because blacks have a shit culture to begin with in america and the most basic achievements in storytelling are already raising the bar

>Brownie points

Heh.

>Let's just do the exact same thing we always do but with African people

>Being this mad

Who hurt you? Was it Tyrone?

Claw
B. Jordan
The whole idea of Wakanda

But the "good guy" characters were rangking from meh to annoying like the inventor sister which made the whole foundation (the emotional conflict) very flawed and non-engaging. The poor acting didn't help.
Action scenes were brilliant for a regular movie, but 6/10 for a Marvel movie.

Most people think it's a good movie but you're not gonna convince anyone who thinks otherwise.

So with that off the table people are settling for a thumb in the eye of the morons who keep predicting the next Marvel movie will finally be the first one that flops because those people are so wrong and pathetic it's fucking funny.

inb4 salty white people saying it succeeded because BP is black despite their claims to the counter and that it would fail in china for that very reason

>Most people think it's a good movie
Those people are so wrong and pathetic it's fucking funny. And thank you for proving me right, Ladderbro.

>no u
You have to go back.

Less humor, more focus on an interesting villain, better soundtrack.

Pretty much everything that people usually bitch about Marvel movies lacking.

No. Watching Hamilton and realizing that THIS is the absolute state of american entertainment culture.

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with Blakc Panther. What I saw was entertaining.

But everyone who says it is the most progressive movie about black people out there...
come on. Is the general state of "cultural art" in the west so low by now, that a movie that combines your average Marvel tropes with Lion King, is somehow the greatest thing ever?

Says the Sup Forums reject.

>interesting villain
The guy dressed like an ape?
>better soundtrack.
Fuck yeah, American rap. African af.

There she is

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO FLOP THIS CANT BE HAPPENING REEE

Attached: 1520701373979.jpg (1000x800, 213K)

>interesting villain
Yes Klaw was great but last just 30 mins, Killmonger was shit tbqh

Pity you cannot evanpost anymore. I miss evanposting ;_;

Racial identity politics are in full swing these days.

This is true, however white Americans love Adam Sandler and low common denominator films so maybe America never had any good culture from the start.

It called "race war nao" type guys idiots.
So the movie was a bit anti-SJW.

remember when it was announced and Sup Forums swore it would crash and burn?

lol

Ladderbro likes to do that so Sup Forums takes the bait and pays the ticket.

There was barely any rap in it, it was mostly african tribal ambient stuff.

>ambient
African af.

Civil war did a pretty good job of setting him up.

I think this is a bigger deal than people realize.

Please tell me what you think identity politics is about. I could use a good laugh.

Good movie that an underrated demographic came out to see. Memorable characters. Unforgettable villain. Great music. Fresh take on the Marvel formula. Mature story.

You don't know shit about Africa.

>If you want me to say because black people then that's only part of it.

less that it had black people and more that "look at all the black people!" was part of the marketing, it was a planned move to release it in the middle of black history month. it's not a coincidence that they're doing the same thing next year with captain marvel releasing a couple of days before international women's day

Like that can't be said for every overhyped movie with a white led cast in the history of cinema.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wojq9vj4BK4
>Marvel: Writing the Perfect Villain

youtube.com/watch?v=anndNbRjOeE
>Black Panther Fixes Marvel's Most Common Flaws

youtube.com/watch?v=KUgO7NtgNF0
>Is Black Panther's Killmonger the Best Villain Since the Joker? – Wisecrack Quick Take

youtube.com/watch?v=AqkThUecFxQ
>Why Black Panther Has Marvel’s Best Villain Ever

youtube.com/watch?v=9mfNOW0vTV8
>Killmonger - 3 Screenwriting Reasons WHY he's a Great Villain

Let's go back eighteen months before the first trailer dropped and see what the complaints were:
>Marvel movies are all quippy comedies!
BP's a stoic and the jokes are kept to a minimum.
>Marvel movies all look like samey shit! There's no directorial signature
BP's got a unique aesthetic to it.
>All MCU villians are shit!
Killmonger at least has SOME depth to him. Enough to discuss.
>The scores are shit and not memorable!
If you look at this movie's score (not the soundtrack which is a different thing) it's got some tracks that stand out.
>It's all just ads for the next movie!
BP ended up being surprisingly self contained. I'm glad they didn't bother throwing in an infinity stone.

Black Panther addressed a lot of the complaints people had about the MCU for the last two years. Then that trailer dropped, with hip hop in the background, and the goalposts got moved so now it can't ever have fixed problems or done anything right; its success is tied only to politics and race baiting.

So solid marketing

It helps that February is considered a dead month with very little competition. Deadpool benefited from releasing then as well.

Not him, but Killmonger is a pretty good example of identity politics used as a villain. "I'm a black therefore I speak for all blacks, doesn't matter that I'm a son of a direct African and thus have nothing to do with post-slavery American blacks". Like his line near death about ancestors jumping ship not to live in slavery – bitch, you're a royal heir to a throne of a sci-fi supercountry.

Also "all white people are colonizers". That was cringeworthy considering it was coming from a person living in a country that hasn't been colonized (as the MCU Wakanda was never discovered by anyone before Klaue).

In many African countries whites are the oppressed minority nowadays. What does this have to do with crime rates in the US? In Eastern Europe black people don't form ghetto communities; Gypsies are known for that instead.

Identity politics is group identity superseding individual identity and forming politics based on those identities. Basically it's "well intentioned" racism when used by the leftists and just plain old racism when used by the alt-right (as both those ideologies run on identity politics).

It's true, white supremacy is on the rise, which is why it's great that this movie has succeeded despite that

Even if it's "on the rise" actual white supremacy is still a political non-entity in the US. It's a boogeyman.

I guess a boogeyman just shot up a school in Florida then

does anyone have an update to the Sup Forums on suicide watch pic that counts down the money BP made?

>Like his line [...] about ancestors jumping ship not to live in slavery – bitch, you're a royal heir to a throne of a sci-fi supercountry.

He might have meant on his mother's side.

There's a lot of cases like that. That guy that shot up a bunch of cops before he got taken out by R2-Bomb-U

They invested a lot of money into a very good director's vision, and gave him enough freedom to carry it out.

It's really not hard, but studio execs are some of the least intelligent living humans.

>actual white supremacy is still a political non-entity in the US

The Republican Party is a political non-entity in the US?

Was he a white supremacist going on a race war spree? First I hear of it. All I know from this case is that he was a depressed boy with a chip on his shoulder and access to guns that everyone ignored, despite him being obviously off.

And even if he was, that was one oddball. The guy who shot 50 people in a gay bar was a Muslim and they aren't vilified by the left.

>mfw

Attached: condoleezza-rice.jpg (512x331, 31K)

>we can't be racist, see, here's a token minority, pay no mind to us catering to white supremacists for decades with the Southern Strategy, just look at our token minorities, pay no attention to anything else

this was a 700-800 million dollar movie through and through

black people alone are going to throw another 50% at least on top of that

I saw it for the first time yesterday, and all the showings were sold out except for just a few single seats, shit is still doing fucking phenomenally

>Was he a white supremacist going on a race war spree?

Yeah, he even carved swastikas into his guns and bullets and stuff

You know you can just google it.

>200 million budget
>700-800 million dollar movie

Over half a million foreign.

Fuck off Sup Forums

Kinda felt like Dark Knight Rises but with more black people.

>Was he a white supremacist going on a race war spree? First I hear of it
oh look, the "it didn't break through my magic shell of willful ignorance and therefore it didn't happen" response

classic poltard move

It made money and kept alive the hope among some studios that you can race bait and white guilt your way to box office success.

>a movie stars black people
>RACE-BAITING, WHITE GUILT, THIS IS WHY TRUMP WON

I love seeing all this dicksuckers, pretending this movie didn't deserve it's success

the fact is Black Panther was a popular character even before they put him in the Captain America movie. You dicksuckers will never acknowledge that fact, that there were people truly excited about a Black Panther movie, but it's true. Black Panther is a cool superhero

Attached: 1449672365742.jpg (232x357, 31K)

I agree. The Black Panther movie was announced as part of Phase 2 how many years ago? No doubt it would have done with the same range as say Guardians of the Galaxy #1; 700-800 (maybe 900) million box office. However, events and the resulting soci-cultural movements in the past many years guaranteed more butts in seats and repeat viewings.

Did Black Panther have his lightsaber?

Attached: mpv-shot0130.jpg (1920x1080, 284K)

Black people actually paid to see it, instead of just buying the bootleg.

Well you see it was the first time black people have ever been shown on film
In fact it was the first film to ever exist they invented the technology for this movie.

Like GotG and Jurassic World, it was an okay 7/10 movie during a time when nothing else was out.

Why are this obvious Sup Forums threads alowed?

I don't get it, it was a 4/10 film at best

That's because you are measuring it as a regular movie and not a cape movie.

>A movie makes a big fucking deal about being "the first ever black superhero movie" even though it's not, every PR event in the buildup to the release makes a point of saying that if you don't see if seven times in the theater you're a nazi, and review websites openly declare their intention to remove any negative critical reviews at the time of release, leading to the movie becoming one of the most critically acclaimed sci-fi action film in history and unironically being called "a defining moment in the history of cinema" by many in the industry, having a higher critical rating at the time of its release than Jurassic Park, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, ET: The Extra-Terrestrial, Alien, Aliens, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Matrix, Star Wars, and every other Marvel film released to date.
>omg you're just jelly
Black Panther is the most shameless display of bought-and-paid-for critical reviews and PR hype I've ever seen.

>Like his line near death about ancestors jumping ship not to live in slavery – bitch, you're a royal heir to a throne of a sci-fi supercountry.
Remember, he's only half-Wakandan

I saw it on a Tuesday night workday at like 9 PM with a friend and the theater was sold out. I've never seen that ever, a sold out crowd in the middle of the week nowhere near any holidays. Figured it was a lock to make a billion at that point

Tied with AOU and CA:CW (24 days), behind Iron Man 3 (22 days) and The Avengers (19 days).

Burgerclaps unironically consider this political activism.

I don't understand. Before its release, everyone was saying that BP was going to be gigantic flop, thus proving that the whiny left has no buying power and that niggers were a worthless demographic to pander to. Now everyone's saying that BP's success was an obvious foregone conclusion because of lefty pandering. Which story am I supposed to buy?

more diversity and less white people

Definitely not the former one. Get Out had already proved that wasn't the case

Batman Begins and the first Avengers movie are both more overrated.

You've got companies and activist groups quite literally giving away free tickets to Black Panther.

A frat in Florida gave away something like 150 tickets in exchange for donations to a canned food drive. Save Our Streets in New York gave away like 400 tickets, Walmart in Houston gave away 300, and there were a bunch of high profile local stories opening weekend about black singers, actors, rappers, and businessmen buying tickets for entire high schools and shit. I guarantee if you add up all the giveaways there's probably millions worth of tickets that were just passed out for free.

A lot of people had a lot riding on Black Panther being a success - so they made sure it was a success.

Attached: tickets.png (616x355, 12K)

>>>/pol

Everyone on Sup Forums does it.

Everyone.

>m-marlel will never get niggers to sell to a mass audience!
>500 million foreign box office
>m-muh virtue signaling!!!!
>500 million foreign box office

THIS C AN’T BE HAPPENING

Millions? Sure, why not, let's go with that. But it's made *562* separate millions domestically alone, and no conspiracy can account for all of that, or even a slightly significant portion of that.