Did they deliberately not invite Maleficent or was it an oversight?

Did they deliberately not invite Maleficent or was it an oversight?

Attached: maleficent-inspired-items-article-052317.jpg (800x500, 218K)

In the most popular version of the fairy tale it's because she's old and lives in isolation so everyone thought she was dead so an oversight.

I think the Queen mentioned that they didn't think she'd want to come.

did some digging

The Disney film seems to imply she wasn't invited on purpose.

>Maleficent: I really felt quite distressed at not receiving an invitation.

>Merryweather: You weren't wanted.

>Maleficent: Not wanted? Oh dear, what an awkward situation. I had hoped it was merely due to some oversight. Well, in that event I'd best be on my way.

>Queen: And you're not offended, your excellency?

In the German Little Brier-Rose, she wasn't invited on purpose, but not because she was evil. There are 13 wise woman in the kingdom, but the king only has 12 golden plates, so he only invites 12 of them. The one who was left off is no more evil than the rest, she was simply offended by not being invited so she showed up with a curse.

In the French The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood, all of the 7 known fairies in the kingdom receive invites. But the 8th fairy was not invited because people thought she was dead or bewitched, since she hadn't been seen or heard from in 50 years. She shows up to the christening and a place is immediately made for her. But because the king had commissioned 7 special place settings of gold and jewels for the fairies, the place setting for the 8th isn't as grand, and she believes she's been intentionally insulted. So when the fairies all line up to give their gift, hers is a curse.

Fairies tend to blow things out of proportion. The live action movie missed the mark so hard on this.

I’ve always wondered what it was that the fairy that hadn’t been seen in 50 years and was presumed dead had been up to for those 50 years. Perhaps she really was bewitched but had been unenchanted like the day before the party and was cranky that the first thing that happens after she’s uncursed is she gets insulted.

I haven’t seen Maleficent, but if that movie didn’t explore this idea, they wasted an opportunity.

The movie only pulled that BS because of how popular Maleficent is. So they wanted to make her not evil or bad, but misunderstood. But we (those who read old myths and fables) know that fairies usually are cunts. It is best for humans to stay away.

Attached: 541.jpg (1512x2644, 504K)

Fucking faes. Malefic shouldve killed em

Maleficent is a fae user. She is not a demon or a real dragon. Pic related is a demon.

Attached: Halpas.jpg (1461x1432, 862K)

She was described as an "old creature" in the French version, so I always just assumed she just avoided everyone due to being old.

This. I hate that fairies are all seen as good and shit these days instead of the shitty little dickheads they really were. Gnomes too fuck'em.

Expanding on this, it's kind of interesting how quite a few adaptations Sleeping Beauty have her being snubbed or insulted to the point where you can understand her feelings even outside of her being a fairy and therefore prone to overreacting.

In the HBO's Happily Ever After, not only is she not invited, when she shows up the court... page? whoever he is, says "we must have lost your invitation in the mail! but don't worry, we do have a place for you" and shows her this shit.

Attached: sleeping.png (601x378, 391K)

It’s important that the audience understand why she’s angry. Still, it’s not something worth killing a baby over.

The entire point of fairy tales is that the fair folk are anything but, and we grovel and call them such grandiose names instead of just fairy because they [i]will[/] kill and eat a baby.

I think the emphasis on her being genuinely insulted in an almost exaggerated way--like a chipped, dingy place setting--is because of how far removed modern audiences are from the typical concept that people in the 17th-19th centururies would have held about fairies. Those audiences would have understand that it's in a fairy's nature to react in an extreme way to any perceived insult. Turning you into a donkey, stelaing a baby, leading you to your death, etc, were the consequences for not paying due deference to a fairy. So a fairy not receiving a gold place setting reacting by cursing a baby to die would not be seen as ridiculous or outrageous, but a typical response from that type of creature in a story.

Likewise, it's why in The Sleeping Beauty ballet, the wedding finale originally included the "wicked" fairy showing up, after the princess is woken up, married, and all is said and done. She is greeted by the king and queen cordially and enjoys the wedding with her creepy little rat companions. It was portrayed as a fact of life--they pissed off a fairy, were lucky enough to have another fairy to counteract the curse, reaped the consequences, but in the end they must co-exist with the fairy realm and all returns to the status quo once Aurora awakens. This ending was gradually removed during the 20th century, and now the ballet either ends with Carabosse being killed by the good Lilac Fairy or she's banished and never seen again.

But during the 20th century the concept of fairies radically changed to be, overall though with some exceptions, softer and kinder. Little winged girls who lived in flowers and had magic wands. It's pretty telling in the movie Labyrinth when the concept of fairies being little shits is used as a contrast to Sarah's childishness. "What did you expect fairies to do?" "I thought they did nice things like granting wishes."

Attached: 1920s_sleeping beauty.jpg (388x500, 42K)

Technically she would have killed a teenager

>it’s not something worth killing a baby over.
You know nothing of the fae

Better question: could Maleficent have been convinced to take back the curse if the King had humbled himself and begged for mercy and/or had Merrywether executed on the spot?

I think she wouldn't have given the curse if Merryweather hadn't jumped in with "you weren't wanted!" and the king and queen humbled themselves and begged forgiveness, then made a grand show of accommodating her.

Why are fairies assholes?

Nah. Faeries have weird laws and rules that they follow to a letter. They don't always make sense, and oftentimes they'll do workarounds that seem like cheating, but they do follow their own rules meticulously.

So if she's been slighted, she HAS to curse this girl. Doesn't matter if the King personally noshes her out afterwards, the curse is already going to happen.

completely alien psychology. Minor infractions by a human could be seem as an extreme transgression to them, and egregious, intrusive shit they might pull isn't a big deal to them.

Basically they all have aspergers.

Well that's what you always tell to someone you didn't want t invite if they show up anyway.