I want to kill the fucking hack that came up with this retarded fucking idea

I want to kill the fucking hack that came up with this retarded fucking idea.

Attached: garbage.jpg (1414x2048, 1.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One#Reception
youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg
youtube.com/watch?v=UCHJwu7ozwo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is that the Iron Giant or not? I know nothing about this.

Yes, yes it is.

Yes it is. And this is Johnny Matrix.

Attached: rpo-homage-matrix-vert-dom-2809x4096-master-1520378174843_vere.640.jpg (640x933, 67K)

>book clearly jerking off the 80s
>make a poster for a movie from 99

I refuse to see this movie. I can't stand 2 hours of fucking references pretending to mean anything. Also fuck whomever wrote that Iron Giant line in that script that was leaked

This looks like a shitty photoshop, and I don't even know of what.

Why is there so many fucking posters about it?
As far as i know everyone thinks this is the worst fucking thing to ever happen so why the fuck are there so many posters?
Who is spending money on making all this shit i don't understand.

(I mean, I know Matrix obviously, but the rest of it is a mystery)

>80s

you mean the 90's

They're going all out with the marketing. They think if they have a wide variety of pop culture references, it will peak interest so people will see it

>As far as i know everyone thinks this is the worst fucking thing to ever happen
When has that ever prevented something from taking off? When has that ever NOT ended up helping something become more known about?

That was obviously a joke

No, the book was all 70s and 80s. The movie went 90s because it's more popular now.

It wasn't funny though.

Well I'm glad i'll be able to go sit in a movie theatre to watch this and not have to worry about you being there.

Attached: no fags.jpg (495x500, 59K)

>No, the book was all 70s and 80s.
Not really, he cited a lot of 90s shit like Whedon and Smith.
The book, like the movie, is just a garbage dumb of the lowest common denominators in "geek" pop-culture.

>The Iron Giant
>lowest common denominators in "geek" pop-culture

Oh fuck you

>everyone thinks
It was an incredibly popular mainstream book. Like a bunch of other terrible ass mainstream books. Twilight, Fifty Shades, etc.

When was it ever popular? Most people never heard of it until the movie

The posters are so bad people literally think it's Sup Forums trolls making them

Attached: 1520371621646.png (640x438, 60K)

I have a sneaking suspicion this person was being facetious

twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896

for a second i thought you were hating on the iron giant but then I saw the title and agreed with you

early sxsw buzz is that it's actually great

If you legitimately think that this shit will be a good movie you are fucking autistic

It was a best selling book praised by basically every media outlet at the time and translated into a shitload of languages. People read it. Which is unfortunate because it was shit, but it was pretty prominent when it was released.

I'm not one to shit on people for liking just for fun things that don't have a lot of inherent quality but Jesus Christ I am still fucking baffled by that.

Best

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One#Reception
Shit's pretty fucking crazy.

Early buzz also said Suicide Squad was a masterpiece

>implying it wasn't

I'm trying to think of an equivalent book, utter trash that got so well received and I'm blanking.

Sword Art Online was similar but it's flaws were pointed out if minimized. And that's not ewuivlant because for all it's flaw it never defaulted to the level of reference in place of prose that RPO and Armada had.

the book also occasionally jerks off the 90s and 2000s because lol what's consistency

Twilight
Hunger Games

When I saw that reference I clapped!

Attached: 1520831502356.jpg (643x782, 97K)

>becca Serle of The Huffington Post described the book as "the grown-up's Harry Potter"

Attached: 2576866.png (500x280, 166K)

I'll shit on both those to a great degree but they were both at least semi competently written. Meyer had issues but she could string a paragraph and it was consistently fucking creepy.

Jesus christ, as a vydia fan these types of movies are fucking middle finger to me.

It is an obvious cash grab exploiting the popularity of gaming icons and you know kids and brainlets are gonna go see it just because they saw one or two references.

The premise is mediocre and shows exactly what I hate about the gaming community, all the normie-fag shit.

It's like this movie is made to trigger the most deep level of my autism, because it actually bothers me it exists. Hell, and it's worse when people start to associate you with this type of stupid bullshit.

This is the equivalent to DragonBall Evolution in some way I can't point out exactly...

Attached: 6055c3fd-8d1f-4c03-9f29-57d88634bd87.jpg (540x533, 27K)

It's basically Big Bang Theory: the movie

what makes it exceptionally stupid is the moral of the book goes "capitalism is bad and corporations are evil" and this movie is being produced by a big fucking movie studio as a fucking cash grab

Attached: 1477715780587.png (362x259, 156K)

The moral is that you should not spend all your time in a fake world because you have to experience reality.

Ignoring the fact that all of his fucking friends were states away and every single positive human experience he had came from interacting with people online.

isn't the moral of the book "go outside sometimes"

Forgive me for asking a simple question, but isn't this making money off a ton of IPs that don't neessarily belong to the studio? How did this guy publish a book with these dozens of references to mostly popular and influential IPs and be allowed to sell it in the first place? Did he/ will the movie studio have to ask all these companies for permission, or pay them to use their property likenesses or? How did this all work out? It's not like it's a parody or anything, these are the straight up characters, like Miss Overwatch herself in some of the trailers and the Iron Giant.

Attached: SMASHING IN PROGRESS.jpg (400x400, 87K)

for the movie, it's a combination of properties they own, properties they paid for, and properties that paid to get into the movie

for the book, no one's really sure how it got published

This book is an absolute dumpster fire

Attached: Holy fucking shit.jpg (1252x1666, 778K)

>calls EVA units mechs when they're organic lifeforms i.e. not robots

Attached: 1518725569156.png (604x1724, 193K)

>Robotech
>not Macross
Why even bother then?

this movie just "her dur i know the ip"

The moral is "escapism is bad even when everything is shit"

When will Tails Gets Trolled or The Ultimate Showdown become full-fledged movies?

And that was a crock of bull because Cline didn't describe escapism. He described in an odd way the grind of somebody going after a longshot dream and putting the work in.

There was nothing really escapist in it aside from it being in VR.

Shame the book is still shit. At least that moral would've been neater than what we got.

I legitimately think you're a faggot.

My opinion on the movie will wait until I've seen it.

I saw the trailer. Would rather not watch a movie that's just a checklist of lame references. The only cool one was The Interceptor briefly appearing.

Attached: interceptor-mad-max-134.jpg (980x551, 36K)

>being this fucking delusional

Attached: 1517100584700.png (500x474, 133K)

They do kinda look like Sup Forums user art collabs

At least people are still reading?

SLAMMED

I saw someone on here the other day describe this flick as the cinematic equivalent of shaking keys in front of a baby and I can't help but think that was the most perfect description I could imagine.

This is the most vapid shit ever made and people will devour those member berries like they're starving.

Those were closed screenings.
This was shown at a film festival. Big dfference.
Lots of other movies also got screened today

You're gonna want to watch the movie for Spielberg's touch. He's the key to this movie's quality.

Pop culture roflmao! Lolzors!

Haha, epic! Epic for the win!

Us gamers, right?

Put on your best tumbrl face, fellow memers! ME NO GUSTA! *coolfaces* :-)

Attached: 1513093601686.jpg (800x600, 167K)

>the soy skull

please refrain from posting this genetic abomination anywhere outside /an/

Look at the box

Attached: the-iron-giant-557-6092-2.jpg (1541x1040, 144K)

Literrally The Reference The Movie The Book The Meme The Life

Its one of the best examples of a book/film with a target audience.

Its written to give nostalgia to a very specific group of people and those are the people that are the rabbid fans of it. Middle aged guys in middle America who can go i watched that as a kid. I remember living through that or watching that.

I refuse to believe this shit is from real book. It's like I'm reading some low tier fanfiction made by some autist from /tg/, with my sympathy towards /tg/

>Stated to be 80s nostalgia, but covers the Matrix, LotR, and Star Wars prequel trilogies, which came out in the late 90s/early 00's
>Anime barely gets mentioned despite the East and West influencing each other all the time
>Vidya is his "specialization" but goes into no detail about what he's good at or prefers, just mentions two titles

>Willingly piloting an Eva, a notoriously difficult to control mech prone to going berserk, and requiring an external power source
>Willingly piloting an Eva when the pilot feels the fucking pain from the damage the Unit receives, one of the biggest reasons why Shinji didn't want to get in the fucking robot
Wanna know how I know this faggot never watched Eva?

Attached: 1411274945956.jpg (306x265, 15K)

The difference is that when /tg/ wants to make retarded wish-fulfillment, it's perfectly capable of doing so in a functional RPG, with everything logically statted, or at least writing a setting that isn't pants on head retarded and relying ENTIRELY on references.
No seriously, /tg/ and writefaggotry goes hand in hand. They could probably make this plot a lot less shitty. Probably.

Ewwwww, stop calling people fake nerds! Communities must stop bullying, racism and sexism and be more inclusive! Stop telling people they cant talk or make movies about their favorite shows even if they never had the time to watch a single episode of it!

Attached: nerd girl problem.jpg (1280x960, 183K)

I think this movie will just overwhelm everyone with references, shout outs, and cameos from pop culture and video games. It will be too much that the story will be a mess and everyone will be too busy going "OH hey it's blah from blah".

Attached: 1322165208447.png (349x308, 30K)

Isn't the gundam in this too?

Iron Giant vs Gundam

>They're basically makes a Pooh's Adventures movie

Attached: Halloween_hassle_at_dracula_s_castle_poster_redo_by_yakkowarnermovies101-d5pth54.jpg (900x563, 368K)

inb4 iron giant wins /m/ gets mad as hell

>requiring an external power source
How does that work? Do they just drag a huge power cable behind them?

youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

Yup. It actually gets cut in a few episodes. They only have 5 mins of operational power without it.

Yes, they seriously do just have a giant power cable sticking out their backs, and their batteries only last five minutes without it.
In the show, they built an entire city based around supporting the Eva units; in addition to power sources scattered around, there are building-sized structures that can move around to deploy weapons, and it can also shoot up walls and shit.

(visual aid)

Attached: Umbilical_cable_attached.png (1440x808, 410K)

I never noticed in what little I've seen. But that's kind of neat

Yeah, Eva has some pretty unique mech design, and it's an anime classic. You should give it a watch sometime.

Attached: 1423494003727.jpg (800x815, 338K)

But I actually really liked the book..

youtube.com/watch?v=UCHJwu7ozwo

I read the book when I was in recycle status on during Ranger and I could either sit on my bunk all day for 20 days straight with nothing to do or read what few books we had.

I didn’t think it was terrible, but it wasn’t good writing either. All the “reveals” at the end were pretty cringe worthy along with the teenage love melodrama. The only thing it had going for it were pop culture references.

If I was rating everything I read while I was stuck there I’d put it below the Hunger Games, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, and the Rifleman Dodd series.

It was really not good. The references were fun that was about it.

Probably but I feel at this point it won't live up to all the constant praise and hype. It has been on thr list though

The book’s moral is supposedly “give a fuck about reality and don’t waste time on escapism,” but every problem except one, MAYBE two was directly solved by the main character burying himself in escapist media. If that doesn’t sum up the problems with the book, I don’t know what will. Still an okay dumb airplane book though. Kind of like watching The Running Man, just turn your brain off bro.
Devil’s advocate, those were the grunt bad guys nobody gave a fuck about and who only got through the task by cheating. They probably picked the first one they recognized. Plus I’d totally forgotten how shitty piloting an Eva was until you reminded me.

>those wiki pages
Not even once

Attached: 2A92D87B-ACA9-4391-B5A2-1B443B908C6E.jpg (700x1034, 248K)

I thought the world building and concept was kinda cool tho, references aside. I also enjoyed SWO, so take that as you will. The generic "find the crystals, win the girl, save the day" storyline was nothing special, but a lot of decent fiction does that.

Welll welll well.....

Looks like Kino is back on the menu, boys!!!

Seriously though, never doubt Based Spielberg again. Capeesh?

*mic drop*

Attached: C1FAD6DE-421D-4A48-B6B0-4230F84585B6.jpg (632x1724, 314K)

>Deadpool 2 getting panned by audiences.
>Ready Player One is being praised to heaven and back.

Uh Oh.

Is this Memberberries: The Movie?

The general plot and concepts were okay. Even the references weren’t too bad once the author got past the initial firehose of references. But the actual writing itself and execution of the story was pretty sub par. I mean you can’t look at and and say that’s what good writing looks like.

>Standing on the left side of the runway was my battle-worn X-wing fighter. Parked on the right side was my DeLorean. Sitting on the runway itself was my most frequently used spacecraft, the Vonnegut. Max had already powered up the engines, and they emitted a low, steady roar that filled the hangar. The Vonnegut was a heavily modified Firefly-class transport vessel, modeled after the Serenity in the classic Firefly TV series. The ship had been named the Kaylee when I’d first obtained it, but I’d immediately rechristened it after one of my favorite twentieth-century novelists. Its new name was stenciled on the side of its battered gray hull. I’d looted the Vonnegut from a cadre of Oviraptor clansmen who had foolishly attempted to hijack my X-wing while I was cruising through a large group of worlds in Sector Eleven known as the Whedonverse.

Its a masterpiece

no no no No No NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NNNOOOOO! NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! THIS WASNT SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN!!!!!! It’s a lie! It’s a fucking lie!!! There is no way this-this-this ABOMINATION could ever find praise!!! It should be scientifically impossible! Who is responsible for this hate crime against humanity!

>Seriously though, never doubt Based Spielberg again. Capeesh?

Ridley Scott managed to make a good movie out of The Martian, which was a similar level of cringe in book form.

The fact that they've got a pre-eminent auteur on this dumpster fire of a book is the only reason I have even a sliver of hope.

>But I had a serious cute-geeky-girls-playing-ukuleles fetish
Dammit user I fucking hate you I LIKED THIS BOOK WHY DO YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME ABOUT THE REASONS I SHOULDNT