What was the point of deaging Barbara Gordon to roughly the same age as her successor, Stephanie Brown...

What was the point of deaging Barbara Gordon to roughly the same age as her successor, Stephanie Brown, along with transplanting a large chunk of Stephanie's personality-wise into the "Original". If they wanted us to see Barbara as Batgirl again, the series could easily have been set in the past. All DC's done is make me hate the character.

Attached: oracle4.png (770x1048, 1.19M)

To be fair the run prior to the current one was part of the Nu52 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was dark and gritty and felt like a genuine Batbook, and the whole aspect of her dealing with her psychotic brother was really interesting.

Then DC decided the demographic they wanted for Batgirl was tumblr

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (648x1000, 230K)

But don't you like quirky, down to earth, diversity loving Barbara, user?

Attached: c574f82dc4242b7b6ecff9fef9b3d915.jpg (1988x1024, 486K)

Marketing. DC wanted a bat character new female readers could pick up, and Babs is the most well known Batgirl. They basically fixed her legs and made her less interesting for the sake of attracting new readers

I honestly would have found Babsgirl more interesting if they went back to the '70s and made her a congresswoman. Maybe the series would be see in Washington.

It would be interesting to explore a bat vigilante who tries to help society from both inside and outside of the system. Deal with the limitations of the system, and the ethical dilemmas of bypassing it.

Then I would have had the "young sparky university-student bat character" remain to be Steph, putting her in a partner book with Nightwing. By day, she interns under Grayson for a division is of the Wayne Foundation that runs a youth programme for at-risk kids. By night, they fight crime. It'd be the light-hearted dynamic duo. Instead of brooding Batman and rude Robin, it'd be the carefree carny Nightwing and the plucky stoner Spoiler (having a hero who hits the bong sometimes may be considered risque and edgy by the older guys at DC, but come on, she's a college kid, and smoking doesn't have the stigma it once had, with reefer madness being discredited and states seriously looking at legalization).

And Detective Comics? Instead of being the batfam team book, it'd be the Batman title that has stripped down mystery and noir stories, rather than high-stakes supervillain stories, which would be saved for the main Bat title.

Make me Batfamily editor, DC. I have no experience, but I post on Sup Forums a lot.

Hell I'd read it.

I think you'd do better than most of the experienced editors over at DC.

DC has never had a clue about what to do with the Batgirl mantle. The most the higher ups know now is that the name has some value and they should milk it like any other Bat somehow. Current Batgirl is just the result since synergy, age, social justice and nostalgia fags always gets mixed into that conversation nowadays.

That direction sounds like loads of fun and the progression makes sense historically for the characters, so you probably wouldn't get the job.

I guess I'll just have to accept my reality of batumblr barbara, steph being written as a shrew, needlessly divisive soap opera with infighting instead of superheroics over in detective and nightwing trying to relive the 90's.

Because they have no clue how to handle Barbara. They tried dark/grimmy, they've tried tumblr, and now they're trying to have their cake with Oracle and tumblr at the same time. It's all failed.

The other reason is, Barbara just doesn't do good as a lead. She's better as a mentor or guiding force.

The problem is the best Batgirl who can handle an ongoing with no problems by herself is also the one they kind of hate.

Barbara is in her mid 20s.
Steph is 16, 18 tops.

Steph was younger... In the begin of Burnside DC said that Barbara age is 21 years(before rebirth)...
And I canĀ“t compare her with Steph Batgirl.. Burnside idea ruined Barbara as character..

She needs a change.. FORGET ALL BURNSIDE run, the opposite..
Show again that she is one character of Dick generation, not one adolescent again.

Burnside is a perfectly fine direction to take the character in, the issue was that they went too far in the de-aging. Even then it is still miles ahead of Simone's CRAWLING IN MY SKIN run. They just need to tone down some of the childishness of the Burnside stuff.

This is the biggest fail of burnside CHILDISHNESS things.. Even Supergirl is more serious.. And she has 16 years now..

People who didn't actually read the comic they are complaining about.

? I've literally slogged through all of Burnside and this thread is completely accurate

It's more her doing things like pinning for boys. I swear only one issue has not been about Barbara and a love interest.

>Barbara just doesn't do good as a lead. She's better as a mentor or guiding force.
Those aren't mutually exclusive. She does fine as a lead but there's little to no character growth in her EITHER of her ongoings (Why do we even need two? Nightwing only has one solo right now. All they need to do is make Birds of Prey her only solo. They can still incorporate elements of Burnside into it but there needs to be some sense of story progression). It's really not hard to make something well-rounded. Barbara is a dynamic character that can pull off gritty and cute at the same time, the writers have just been abysmal since the start of Burnside since they can't seem to find that middle ground.

They should just give her a steady love interest. Maybe an older man, on the other side of the law to play her "catwoman" type. Someone rich and handsome to hit those Fifty-Shades vibes to get the female readers in.

Attached: BabsMoth.jpg (648x523, 69K)

And that's the other issue I've had. Burnside was the only run to cover Killer Moth. And he was barely in that run. WHY?!

So Daredevil?

It'd be hard to take seriously if she wasn't called Batwoman or Oracle.

Which is fine, because post-Rucka/Williams Kate has no value.

>her successor, Stephanie Brown
I think you made a typo there OP

Attached: 1517617150434.png (1200x898, 1.2M)

There's room for two.

Attached: _bringbackourbatgirls_by_rockyhoward-d7k8lkd.jpg (954x750, 159K)

>team book never ever

I kinda wished they'd stayed in limbo.
Their backstories are worse and the only interesting thing done with either of them is Cass' friendship with Clayface.

still wanting a "Black Bat&Spoiler, the Girl Wonder" series

That just leaves them open for better writers to make use of though, right? It's not like they're Marvel characters, DC will hire writers who are at least okay. Right?

Attached: BENIDS.jpg (1280x721, 339K)

1) Camstew was between the current run and the N52 one
2) Simone's run was incredibly mediocre, was bogged down by events, and could not move past Barbara's trauma

>I honestly would have found Babsgirl more interesting if they went back to the '70s and made her a congresswoman. Maybe the series would be see in Washington.
I like this idea in theory, but I have 0 confidence in DC writers being able to handle political drama.

Forget drama. I want to see this bad boy used in some superhero combat!

Attached: WilliamsDC.jpg (318x472, 55K)