Was there a better time to be a batfag?

Was there a better time to be a batfag?

Attached: reborn.png (974x976, 1.73M)

1986-1987

Attached: Miller.png (1642x1274, 2.34M)

>tfw they forced Hawk and Dove into Simone's BOP, ruining it
Had they not done that it probably would've been good like the rest of her BOP.

And you forgot the first 12 issues of Red Robin. That was good too.

>And you forgot the first 12 issues of Red Robin. That was good too.
I didn't forget it, but RR was largely just *ok* and kind of paled in comparison to the other stuff coming out at the same time. I also felt it would derail the thread with people angrily saying how much they hate/love Tim/Damian.

That was more about Miller being at his absolute peak than anything else. Outside of those two stories Batman was pretty bad during that time.

Attached: ten nights of the beast.jpg (800x1285, 292K)

The late 90s?

>And you forgot the first 12 issues of Red Robin. That was good too.
Now THAT was good.

Honestly Post Crisis - Knightfall is insane in the level of quality, even excluding Miller's two works

Doug Moench and Kelly Jones
Alan Grant/John Wagner and Norm Breyforgyle
Shadow of the Bat
Legends of the Dark Knight
Chuck Dixion and Graham Nolan
Peter Milligan
Jim Starlin
Batman and the Outsiders

Attached: Detective_Comics_603.jpg (1009x1513, 425K)

Mid 70s.

Simone's second BoP run had way more problems than Hawk & Dove.

Most of that is late 80s-early 90s, not the 86-87 range that user stated. Also Chuck Dixon is incredibly mediocre.

>Also Chuck Dixon is incredibly mediocre.
No.

Yeah I said the Post Crisis - Knightfall period, not just a one year span.

The only time Dixon writes anything better than "okay" is when someone else does all the plotting and he just fills it in (eg Knightfall, Batgirl: YO)

DCYou was actually pretty great for batshit

>Snyder still on Batman
no

all the spinoff shit like Gotham by Midnight and Gotham Academy was pretty cool though

is right now the worst time to be a Batman fan?
>King's autism
>Snyder's retardation
>Tynion is Snyder's bisexual and less talented friend
>SGM can't write
>Busiek's book delayed
>more Azz

That's why I said Batshit and not Batman
>Grayson
>Gotham Academy
>Robin SOB
>Valentine Catwoman

>>Busiek's book delayed
Wait what? When is the next one out?

April 11

>is right now the worst time to be a Batman fan?
Off the top of my head, the last time we didn't have at least one solid Bat title would probably be the early 80s.

I mean I would count Brave and the Bold as a Bat title and it was solid

Early 2000s

I prefer Tynion to Snyder, but then again I've only read his Detective Comics.

>tfw this was the era I started reading comics
>Read every title and looked forward to every Wednesday discussing this with the employees of my favorite LCS
>10 years later, shop is closed, Batman corner of DCU has everything mentioned and can't stand reading cape comics anymore.

Attached: 1478584059287.png (893x799, 855K)

hello, me

>Nightwing is more mediocrity with mediocre to shit art
>Batgirl has cute art but that's about it
>Batwoman has good artists that don't last more than 5 issues and that's about it
>BOP is shit writing and shit art
A-at least RHATO has pretty good writing and great art...

Attached: apt.jpg (1979x3042, 2.48M)

Stop being a little bitch, you fucking casual. There are plenty of good books right now.

it's not fair, bros

>A-at least RHATO has pretty good writing and great art...

RHATO is solidly in the "okay" category, but that's such a huge step up from Lobdell's previous stuff that Jasonfags talk about it like it's the second coming

If you're going to shill, you might as well list some.

Doctor Strange and Thanos are fun but Marvel is retarded and relaunching Strange with a new writer/ending Thanos in a couple months
Runaways is the best the title has been since the original run
Shade the Changing Woman is good
Doom Patrol is good when it actually comes out
Green Arrow WAS good but a new writer is taking over next month so we'll see how that goes.
Deathstroke and New Super-Man are still going strong

>Runaways is the best the title has been since the original run

not him and I think the book is actually fine, but this a rather low bar

I'm the person you're replying to.
>Deathstroke
>Doom Patrol
>Aquaman
>Detective Comics
>Curse Words
>Super Sons
>New Super-Man

Detective Comics hasn't been good since the first arc. Brief bits of Cass and Basil don't make up for the rest of the mediocrity

Just because it isn't Deathstroke doesn't mean it's bad. League of Shadows was pretty good, Azrael was fine, and I didn't mind the future Tim arc. The victim syndicate was also fine from what I've read but I'm like 3 issues behind.

By all means though, keep making excuses so you don't have to read comics.

Barr's Tec was pretty good. Kys

>Red Hood is the best book in the entire Batline
this is our reality

Not gonna lie, I was really enjoying Red Robin at the time too.

When was the last time the actual batman book was the best of the batline?
Right now is red hood
Before that was Grayson
Tomasi's batman and robin
Batman inc
Morrisons batman and robin.
Seriously was batman rip the last time the actual batman book was the best of the batline, that's 10 years ago.

>okay
No, it's legit good book and has been consistent from the beginning compared to most of rebirth books.

Late 80s Batman? With Alan Grant and Peter Milligan and Norm Breyfogle and Jim Aparo? 'fuck outta here

why exactly does Batman and Robin not count as an actual Batman book

It's just the worst time to be a DC fan.

>Tomasi's Batman and Robin
No, it wasn't.

By actual batman book I mean the books titled batman or detective comics since they've been the main batman books for more than seventy years.

Most of these aren't good comics. Fucking Detective Comics? Oh joy the book in which I get to see batman getting castrated by Batman spin off characters. It's good that you have low standards, but remember that not everyone does.

what do you like, user

I agree with you that detective comics is pretty mediocre but the rest of that guys picks are solid. Comics are a niche market so it wouldn't hurt you to be less of a cunt when people are just trying to say what books they like.

>you're a cunt if you don't like these comics that I like
excuse you?

I was talking about the mid 80s, when TDKR and YO actually came out. All the heavy hitters you mentioned were later

Cassfags .

Detective continues to rehash old plots and be repetitive.

Gee, I wonder who's hiding behind these posts?

I honestly don't know how Tynion is employed. Batman Eternal is some of the worst dreck put to paper, it makes Kings run look revolutionary.
Luckily I grew up reading sixties Batman, old issues of Knightfall and Brubakers run, if I started reading Batman now I would probably hate him.

Because reddit goes gaga over Rebirth.

. Tynion should get off 'Tec, the Tim wank needs to end.

Favourites Eras:
Batman Reborn
Is there a good name for the Knightfall-No Man's Land era? I just call it the Dixon Era.

Gee, I wonder who's hiding behind these kind of posts

>Sup Forums hates Tynion's Tec
Huh. Why?
I'm a Timfag, so make be it for me.

I really miss Tomasi writing Batman. Tynion has reduced Bruce to a dumb rich guy with gadgets and is constantly trying to hold him down so that Tim and Kate could measure up. this fight scene alone was MUCH better than tynion's whole garbage fest of a run.

Attached: Superman-37-Super-Sons-of-Tomorrow-DC-Comics-Rebirth-Universe-Spoilers-4.jpg (1988x3056, 1.17M)

As long as DC comics endures, there will be a constant flood of Batman™ and Batman-related comics merchandise, of wildly varying quality.

And fanboys who will convert their cash into piles of it. Can't really say what would be the "best" time to be part of that cycle.

Attached: Batcard.jpg (584x324, 38K)

with Tomasi writing it notice how Bruce was taken by surprise while he was unarmed and he's actually fighting back properly. Under Tynion's pen Tim would have one shotted Bruce already.

Yeah, Drake couldn't handle the Bat so he had to attack Bruce in fuggin' t-shirt and jeans and on top of that Drake used a gun.

He is getting of 'Tec. They announced that a while back

Good.

is it confirmed that he's leaving or just his current long saga is ending?

>DETECTIVE COMICS #981
>“Batmen Eternal” finale! This is it—the unbelievable conclusion of James Tynion IV’s Batman epic! It’s the last stand of the Gotham Knights, fighting a monster they helped inspire…and a destiny they won’t accept! What will become of the greatest crime-fighting team Gotham City ever saw?

This is phrased as Tynion's last issue. Ever since Morrison, every Bat writer has tried to pretend that their overly long run is some planned out "epic"

Me, I'm celebrating Tynion's departure.

What does Sup Forums think about Gotham City Sirens? I thought it was alright but it lacked direction. It read like a slice of life story a lot of the time.

Anons, I'm thinking of getting No Man's Land, is it worth it? The premise sounds pretty cool.

Don't forget image of Batman and his tragedy is forver ruined by DCEU.

Not really.

Tynion does what DC asks him, DC wants a book focus on other characters and they want to push the stupid batwoman cause her book doesn't sell

Dini wrote a great run but it was short just 12 issues more or less and then the new writer didn't share the tone and in general was a little boring and then n52 cancelled everything including Gotham City Sirens.

No Man's Land is fantastic, especially if you care about the various members of the Batfam.

Some parts are interesting but you should try it first, what I liked more was the idea of this post-apocalytic ambient. I enjoyed it but it's long and some characters that are there because of the crossover aren't important.

Ok guys after I finish 52 I'm gonna give it a try.

Start from Cataclysm, and then Road to No Man's Land part 1 (part 2 is not great and can be skipped without missing much)

You forgot Red Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne, and Batman Inc. Even Cornell's Knight and Squire mini was top shelf. And no, no there wasn't.

>You forgot Red Robin
See >Return of Bruce Wayne, and Batman Inc
I was specifically referring to the early 2009-2010 era. For instance, Morrison's B&R was never running at the same time as Inc

Well if you want to be pedantic about it Return of Bruce Wayne was running concurrently to that era. Also you are mistaken about Red Robin, it's probably the best modern globe-trotting adventure Bat story and I'd put it slightly above Dini's Tec (and well above Sirens) and about the same as Miller's Batgirl. Keep in mind I love them all.

>Also you are mistaken about Red Robin, it's probably the best modern globe-trotting adventure Bat story and I'd put it slightly above Dini's Tec (and well above Sirens) and about the same as Miller's Batgirl
I can't help your bad taste

Sick rebuttal. Great discussion.

What discussion do you expect to have? I've been down this road before; I'll make some argument and then you'll just say "doesn't matter I still liked it." It's almost impossible to convince you didn't like something, so why bother? RR had nothing special going for it and was filled with generic drama and plotting, but something about self-insert meandering hits a lot of buttons for you, so you like it.

Well maybe keep talking about how I'll say your opinions don't matter because I like a certain comic because I'm a pathetic self inserter and let's see what nuggets arise from that. A character that's existed for a decade losing his father and surrogate father in quick succession and subsequently abandoned by his peers that he has always relied upon as paranoid while going on an international mystery tour and mixing it up with villains both well established and brand new (and interesting) does not have "nothing special going for it," in any stretch of the imagination.

No. It was freaking fantastic.

The existence of a tragic backstory does not make a story good.

>mixing it up with villains both well established and brand new (and interesting)
RR does nothing of note with the old villains (except have Ra's call Tim "Detective" which caused all Timfags to cream their pants) and the new villains were instantly forgettable.

Pretty much exactly this. Dini's issues were ace, but when he left, the book became less and less fun and more and more Joker wanking. Then the ending was just unnecessarily depressing.

Ah I should have known better than to attempt conversation with a sycophantic Damian fan.

I never said anything about Damian, but go ahead and assume everyone who disagrees with you is in one group that could be written off. Also sycophantic doesn't mean what you think it means.

Cassfags ..nobody gives a shit about you.

Assam whines all day about Cass. not getting enough feats. Batgirls is shit anyway and shouldn't exist.

all this whining about Damifags are just Cassfag or the occasional Timfag being their usual selves .

You don't have to worry much about Cassandra .King or Tynion will kill her.

Ah I should have known better than to attempt conversation with a sycophantic Cass fan.

Attached: ää.jpg (1208x634, 176K)

>Red Robin
>good

lel

Goddammit Damifag, I really hate when you agree with me because it makes my "side" look retarded. And before you call me or anyone else who disagrees with you Jasonfag or whatever CBR user you're currently fighting with, be aware that "Damifag" is not a general term for someone who likes Damian, it's specifically you: the teenage girl from Germany who can't use English properly and has an obnoxious obsession with Damian.

cassfags are all cancer. bat girls is shit anyway and shouldn't exist.

No, we cannot agree you faggot. can you go get raped you tryhard cass fag faggot .she is right Bat- girls are cancer.