It's Time for Another Good Trope, Bad Trope

>Good Trope
Hero's evil counterpart has a similar personality and motivations.

>Bad Trope
Hero's evil counterpart is an over-the-top, baby-eating psycho with a similar costume.

Attached: good-idea-bad-dea.jpg (400x276, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qDWzTVIE7Go
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Good Trope
Main characters best friend is a heroine.
>Bad Trope
Main characters best friend is heroin.

>Hero's evil counterpart is an over-the-top, baby-eating psycho with a similar costume.
>Bad
Shut your face.

Attached: thawne.jpg (650x325, 51K)

Attached: 64fb70caa0085b06eeb6b5d4d8ec43b4.jpg (736x1084, 234K)

>Good Trope
Hero is an absolute paragon, earnest in his righteousness, and will fight for good at all times, no matter the risk to himself. Can't save everyone but damn will he try.
>Bad Trope
Hero has a flimsy moral compass that serves whatever plot contrivances the writer has thought up or even worse, is used as a prop for a writer's asinine and pretentious drivel they're attempting to pass off as a story.
you got that mixed up

Yeah, righteous heroes are often much more consistent characters than anti-heroes. One minute Jack Edge will risk his life to save a little girl, and another he'll let a whole planet explode if it benefits him.

Speaking of Anti-Heroes:

>Good Trope
Character has a tragic past.

>Bad Trope
Character never shuts the fuck up about their tragic past.

Attached: BatmanBook.jpg (500x583, 35K)

>Good trope
Hero connects multiple dots to reach a startling realization.
>Bad trope
Hero generates wild conclusions based on flimsy conjecture.

Attached: 81kLAIsdE4L._AC_UL320_SR208,320_[1].jpg (208x320, 25K)

Don't worry, they're super smart so of course they know the scratch marks on the wall mean it's Timothy J. Alton who happened to own a cane with similar spaced talons as the marks on the wall. They used their unbelievable high tech analysis systems to compare the wall markings to the 3D composite of the cane they had for reasons and it was a perfect match. If you think it's conjecture then you must have missed the amazing foreshadowing of Timothy appearing in the one panel with the cane in the background. Don't think about any of the numerous ways these marks could be a coincidence, or the motive of the culprit, he will reveal all these details immediately the moment he's confronted with this one totally open and shut connection

He also knew that Tim Alton wasn't really a sailor like he said he was because he said "Knots per Hour"! Any sailor knows that "Knots per Hour" is a redundant term! It can't be that Tim misspoke, it's that he's secretly the victim's old enemy, Archibald Blackheart, in disguise!

Attached: Kurgan.png (443x344, 173K)

>Good trope
Villian has good intentions but his henchmen plan to betray him/are actually evil
>Bad trope
Villian has no good intentions but his henchmen sell him out to the good guys

>Good
A villain is introduced that antagonizes the hero and his original villain and they have to team up to stop him

>Bad
Villain switches from being totally innocuous and friendly to hellbent on dicking over the hero and alternates between these two

>A villain is introduced that antagonizes the hero and his original villain and they have to team up to stop him
This works best and creates an interesting dynamic if the original villain is well-intentioned, like Sinestro. If an otherwise evil bad guy gets one-upped by a newer bad guy, it makes him look impotent.

>Good trope
Villain rewards and punishes his henchmen as situation demands, and may even feel compassion/camaraderie for those loyal to him
>Bad trope
Villain constantly performs summary executions and torture on his henchmen for minor inconveniences, or failing to beat the invincible hero in a straight fight

Attached: Vamp.jpg (1280x720, 119K)

Better yet

Villain had good intentions, but changed their mind to a self-destructive plot that will benefit no one. Henchman plans to usurp them and carry out the original plan, or rather their own version of it.

Attached: IMG_3547.png (200x309, 60K)

>Good trope
Hero gets genderbent
>Bad Trope
Hero gets replaced by opposite gender.

>Good Trope
Villain killing/mistreating his henchman is a sign of him breaking down mentally, and alienates his other henchmen.

>Bad Trope
Villain kills henchmen willy-nilly and nobody on his side cares.

I just like it when the henchmen are treated as humans, with normal human emotions and reactions.

Ah the old guy gardener

Neither of those is bad, let fiction have variety.

I wonder if we'll ever see such story lines again?

Attached: ggw42-opening2.jpg (1321x1013, 563K)

>Good Trope
A menacing villain who is pretty much untouchable until the end of story but still vulnerable
>Bad Trope
A retard who gets caught repeatedly and only survives/doesn't get imprisoned till the end of story by sheer luck and idiocy of the main characters

One of my favourite examples of the good trope is in Land before Time
>That's it! I've had it with that blowhard!
>I know! I know! But be patient let HIM lead US to the stone!
>Oh yeah. Yeah. I get ya! Then it will be time to make a few changes in the pecking order!

Attached: Rinkus_&_Sierra.jpg (600x453, 70K)

>Good Trope
Having a gay/lez stereotype with some thought & effort into it, while having some romance to a minimal.

>Bad Trope
Having a gay/lez stereotype in your face because they're gay/lez.

Attached: uggggghhhh.gif (200x183, 644K)

It happened in Justice League 3001

Attached: Green_Lantern_3001.jpg (1457x1093, 663K)

>Hero generates wild conclusions based on flimsy conjecture.

Actually this in itself can be salvageable
>Good
The story treats this process as an insane feat logical disconnect and mental gymnastics that just happened to reach the right conclusion at the end, and is played as a joke.

>Bad trope
The character Is treated as completely correct and this is supposed to be proof of their intelligence.

>Good Trope
Visitor from the future comes back in time and says main character is important
>Bad Trope
Ancient prophesy says the main character is the chosen one

Attached: Bill & Ted meet Rufus.jpg (768x432, 38K)

You know, that's probably one of the reasons why I figured the ending of Naruto was stupid because I remembered the fucking Chunin Exams arc where Naruto told Neji that fate and destiny was a load of malarkey!

Coming from the child of prophecy to save the world, the son of the 4th Hokage, who was the student of one of the three great Sannin, who were taught by the 3rd Hokage, who was the student of the Second Hokage, who was the First Hokage's brother.

Destiny and fate were stacked in Naruto's favor from the GOD DAMNED START!

wow the titular hero survives to the end and has all the magic powers?? damn I could tell just from reading the front fucking cover

It seems like LGBT characters are all made into ridiculous slutty stereotypes (to be cool and counter-cultural), or portrayed as overly normal and wholesome to the point of being boring (to fight stereotypes). The result is never appealing.

As a bisexual myself, I'd prefer to see a gay character who had some development, like a self-hating gay guy who wants to be more masculine, and goes down a dark path to try and achieve this. Or maybe a badass anti-villain/antagonist who's trying to kill the hero because the hero killed a previous villain who was the current antagonist's gay lover or something.

There just needs to be more romanticism in the way that LGBT people are portrayed. It'll make more memorable characters.

Attached: thoughtful.jpg (440x450, 38K)

Khan did this well in Star Trek II. He's legitimately very intelligent and dangerous, but he's half-crazy and out of his element, so he makes some understandable mistakes.

Attached: Khan.jpg (1000x1265, 850K)

What about Prophecy being written by a visitor from the future that visited a more distant past?

This can be good. Aquaman's twin from a mirror universe, Thanatos, is just a huge, cartoonish douchebag and it's hilarious.

bump

>Good Trope
Villain's sadism is shown through actions and subtle implications
>Bad Trope
Villain can't shut up about how much he or she loves to inflict pain on others and grins like a maniac all the time

>Good Trope
Heroes face tough villains, and are occasionally outmaneuvered.

>Bad Trope
Heroes job to every villain.

Attached: FuriousFive.jpg (1920x815, 209K)

When Pterano, Rinkus and Sierra think Ducky fell to her death
>Poor thing, so young, so full of life
>So what?
>I was responsible for that little swimmer and now I've lost her
>Well Pterano, you should be used to this kind of thing by now

>Good Idea:
Having a character become a couple with another character

>Bad Idea:
Having a character become a couple with another character as the end goal of the show.

>the villain mourns his fallen henchmen
thats what I loved about cy-kill

Well it wasn't exactly selling out Shen to the heroes but Boss Wolf refused to kill their own before the 5 reached Shen and got killed for it
That was pretty good

Attached: No.gif (448x210, 1.86M)

>good idea
a scientist main character that is not a mary sue and ocasionally can fuck up
>bad idea
a scientist that literally pulls bulshit moves/gadgets out of his ass and always gets away with it
guess the series

>Good trope
A character has a laid back personality and lack of ambition that keeps them in a low level position despite their latent talent/intelligence that they eventually overcome by either learning the value of their abilities or motivated by changing circumstances in their lives
>Bad trope
A character has genius level intellect despite never picking up a book and doesn't attempt to even write his name down on a piece of paper because even that is something he considers a waste of time

>Character never shuts the fuck up about their tragic past

See, this is why Adam West Batman is the best. He never once mentioned his parents because he moved on from that shit. Not to mention his Gotham isn't an irredeemable shithole, just an average, somewhat run down with with colorful gang leaders.

Attached: 1474313246088.png (121x145, 36K)

>Good idea
Main character switches bodies with his sister
>Even better idea
He has to go on a date with her boyfriend so he doesn't know anything happenned
>The best idea ever
The boyfriend keeps trying to kiss the main character since he was planning on having their first kiss tonight

>Detective Conan.jpeg

>ancient prophecy
>chosen one
>bad
Generally, it's only bad in parodies which write it in specifically to tell you how bad it is. They tend to make it an arbitrary and nonsensical thing that's just randomly there and have stupid people believe it for no good reason. When stories play "the chosen one" straight, they tend to actually do something with it, like giving a reason why it's there and why people believe it or have the characters question the prophecy and/or use it to their advantage.

>a scientist that literally pulls bulshit moves/gadgets out of his ass and always gets away with it
>guess the series
Either Rick & Morty or a forensic cop show.

>He never once mentioned his parents because he moved on from that shit.
And that right there makes him much more likeable than MUH PARENTS-Man. Someone who smiles or stays quiet to hide the pain is sympathetic. Someone who can't stop whining about it is a child.

>Not to mention his Gotham isn't an irredeemable shithole, just an average, somewhat run down with with colorful gang leaders.
That's a pretty good point as well. Gotham is often so horrific that it's ridiculous that anyone would live there.

But the point is that it completely undermines the message it was trying to sell. Naruto was painted as an underdog protagonist from the start, so logically he should stay as one rather than retconning everything to where he was always meant to win. You may as well scrapped Naruto altogether and just used Rock Lee as the MC, because at at least then it would be consistent.

we got a winner
yes its Rick & Morty

>Bad Idea
Main Characters and supporting cast are killed off willy-nilly/job to new villains to "set the steaks"
>Good Idea
Main Characters progressively get scars and injuries from battles that they carry with them throughout the series.

Attached: maxresdefault (3).jpg (1280x720, 77K)

It's amazing how quick people started to hate that show. They must've fucked up bad.

>Good trope
Have a convoluted plot and finish the episode without a resolution for comedic effect
>Bad trope
Have every episode have a convoluted plot and finish all of them without a resolution for comedic effect

got old pretty quick
but that is for another thread

Not really, IMO. For some reason, People began to stereotype Rick and Morty viewers as pretentious elitist neckbeards at the beginning of season 3. At this point, it becomes less about the show and more about hating the fanbase (which, outside of the McDonalds controversy isn't really that vocal?).

The homosexual character is a slut:
>Urgh so in-your-face!
The homosexual character isn't a slut:
>Urgh so boring!

I don't mean that non-slutty gay characters are inherently boring, I just mean that they're usually fobbed off in uninteresting secondary roles, like the hero's best friend or the exposition-dropper.

Is Jeri Hogarth an example of a good LGBT character? How about Omar? Not attacking just curious.

>Jeri Hogarth
>good anything
Jesus wept.

>which, outside of the McDonalds controversy isn't really that vocal?

That is almost entirely because the McDonalds controversy was THAT bad. No one wants to associate themselves with a group of spergs that would openly embarrass themselves. Before that the fanbase was so vocal and pretentious it was absurd.

It also doesn't help that the show itself went downhill, giving people even more reason to disassociate themselves from it.

Bill and Ted still has the absolute greatest use of time travel in any form of media

youtube.com/watch?v=qDWzTVIE7Go

Attached: 3dpacha.jpg (800x775, 86K)

>Bad Trope
Killing the Villain.

>Good Trope
Have them suffer an ironic punishment.

>Bad Trope
The Evil Overlord of the Evil Empire is killed and overthrown because he's Evil, just shut up and accept it. The nation flourishes in a post-war economic miracle, now that it is given its freedom.
>Good Trope
The war is negotiated to a close after several severe exchanges on both sides, leading to a compromise most people are happy with while still leaving some problems unsolved as an unfortunate result of reality.

This was the only reason I'd watch animaniacs, just loved these bits

Following up on this:
>Bad Idea
Mentor is killed off to show how much more powerful the villain is than the MC.
>Good Idea
Main villain is killed by the mentor and backup villain steps up, kills the mentor now that he's weakened from his fight, and mockingly thanks the mentor for helping him take over because he knew he couldn't take his boss in a straight fight.

This. Go get fucked, OP.

Attached: 1505875682092.jpg (500x159, 36K)

Bullshit. Final Crisis Ultraman was fun because he wasn’t anything like Superman. He was a brute and a bully and frightening in how base he was.

What makes it work is that sometimes his better judgement wins out like when Kirk tried to bait him into coming down to the planet. He’s at struggle with himself and it’s fun to watch.

My favorite part of the movie.

Exactly, or when he leaves Chekov and Terrel on the satellite, knowing Kirk'll lead him to Genesis. Khan's more than a little nuts, but he's no fool.

>Bad Idea
Making a hero and villain related or have past bond for cheap drama without exploring how they split directions.
>Good Idea
Showing related characters or former friends explore their relationship, its breakdown, and come to a natural resolution of either permanent severance or reconnection.

>Making a hero and villain related or have past bond for cheap drama without exploring how they split directions.
This is such a soap opera thing to do.

To use a Sup Forums example, they did it in the second Zatoichi movie, and had Ichi's one-armed evil brother show up as the villain. The brother has almost no backstory other than the fact that he lost an arm feuding with Ichi over a woman they both loved, and as a result the character is totally flat. Even a few of the random Yakuza in the later sequels are more interesting than this character who's supposed to be the protagonist's fucking brother.

Why do people settle for such lazy, unambitious writing? It drives me nuts.

Attached: pissed-off.jpg (305x425, 42K)

>Good trope
Scientist's advanced technology has a base on reality and follows certain rules which makes it believable within its own world
>Bad trope
Scientist just makes magic happen and calls it technology. There's nothing they can't do if they spend a couple of hours in a laboratory; bending the laws of physics just to make a cool gadget can happen no problem.

>Bad Idea
Bad guy's son is either a spoiled brat or a permanent momma's/daddy's boy, never able to break out from under the 'original's' shadow. Killed off without a second thought.
>Good Idea
Turns out growing up under an iron-fisted tyrant makes you really good at subtle manipulation. And that bloodline boost makes him not-too shoddy in the power department, either. Bonus points if he's actually stronger than his parent and just hasn't brought it up yet.

Which reminds me: Children of heroes tend to be equal to or stronger than their parent. Children of villains are by default weaker, for some reason.

>Children of heroes tend to be equal to or stronger than their parent. Children of villains are by default weaker, for some reason.
I think the idea is that the hero is a great father who raised a child who surpassed him, while the villain is a shit father who raised a spoiled freak.

I do hate this trope, though. The villain's son is much cooler when he's a dark prodigy.

>Good Idea
The villain is shown to care for those working under him.
>Bad Idea
The villain kills his own henchmen to show the audience how evil he is.

Shit opinions

>good trope
No gay characters
>bad trope gay charactrr

Ftfy

Nah, ancient prophecies can be a good thing, you still don't know how exactly everything will turn out. On the other hand, what stops a visitor from the future from just telling the main hero everything, why he's important and what he has to do step by step?

Reverse that.
>they build advanced tech out of office supplies

>actually thinking this
Your taste are shit

The second one isn't really bad, so long as the work on question isn't really grounded in reality or trying to be serious to begin with. It's just typical Silver-Age silliness, but it needs the tone to pull it off.

Bisexuals aren't people

>The Evil Overlord of the Evil Empire is killed and overthrown because he's Evil, just shut up and accept it. The nation flourishes in a post-war economic miracle, now that it is given its freedom.

Yeah, like that would ever happen in real life.

Attached: 1477500749557.jpg (424x282, 66K)

>Good idea
What-if story about the US if the confederacy had won the civil war

>Bad idea
tumblr

Attached: 1475763665685.png (528x778, 295K)

>Bad idea
YET ANOTHER FUCKING "lolwhat if nazi germany had won WWII through extremely contrived writing?".
That shit is beyond tired by now.

...you do know what happened to Germany in between WW2 and the 1990s right?
Germany had like 20 years of not being shit, because right now it's worse off than it was under Soviet rule.

>Good idea
Sympathetic and redeemable villain is thoroughly pathetic.
>Bad idea
Supposedly a big threatening villain with no redeeming qualities is thoroughly pathetic.

I hate this trend of making villains laughable retards for "complexity"

None of what you said is what I said

>What if the traitors have won?
I like it. Fund it.

Fuck you Encyclopedia Brown, I put my wallet in my left pocket with my right hand just to spite you

>>What if the traitors have won?
You mean like how the US were created?

Whats wrong with having superhero with drug problem?

>Good Trope
Unskillled character fails at something in a critical moment so they must train themselves in order to succeed later on
>Bad Trope
Unskilled character shows complete inability to do something for the entire story and then conveniently succeeds at a crucial moment

No wonder Roy hates being called "Speedy."

The bad trope there is, of course, wonderful when applied to a comedy show. Especially when the villain let's those henchmen in training who haven't even earned their wings drive the Monarchmobile

Archer?

>bad trope
Ancient prophecy is divine and is fulfilled because it was always true.
>good trope
Ancient prophecy is horseshit and is only fulfilled because someone was ignorant enough to believe it.

> Good trope

Sword-wielding hero cuts something hard in one slice and there's a slight delay before you see the top piece slide off the bottom piece

> Bad trope

Sword-wielding hero does a whole bunch of complicated slashing, only to watch a mook's clothes off, except their underwear, so they slink away embarrassed.

Attached: ezgif-4-d1e6c61041.gif (285x214, 2.91M)

I love Samurai movie tropes. All of 'em. They're just so cool.

It's like there's a ban on cool villains in Hollywood lately. Just a bunch of CGI monsters with growly voices and stupid emo kids like Kylo Ren.

> Bad trope
Magic versus Technology

> Good trope
Magic plus Technology

You seem confused, you listed two good tropes.