Anyone have that iconic panel of superman sheltering people from rubble. it's kinda like pic related

anyone have that iconic panel of superman sheltering people from rubble. it's kinda like pic related.

Attached: 10533a46e4ab1a678a9a5426524eaaa4.jpg (1270x1231, 500K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aIeAQyWzAbI
youtube.com/watch?v=aYUuWF9a1Dc
youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI
youtube.com/watch?v=pX9O4xDW0Kc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'll do you one better.

youtube.com/watch?v=aIeAQyWzAbI

>80 year old cartoon putting today's animated shows to shame
what a thing of beauty. must have taken forever to do.

thanks user! didn't realize the panel was an homage.

It's probably not, really. Fleischer Superman was a landmark of animation; it's the birthplace of rotoscoping (Yes, that's rotoscoped! They just did it really well instead of straight tracing the model.) It wormed its way into the public consciousness and changed visual iconography in comics and animation forever. Budget was...I think a million dollars per episode? Which back then was insane.

Unless you mean whatever Superman panel you were talking about, in which case yes, it almost certainly is. The comics borrowed a bunch from those cartoons.

Here's a vaguely related video essay. A bit biased, but it goes over a bit of why animation today isn't like that.
youtube.com/watch?v=aYUuWF9a1Dc

Also, you might be thinking of this.

It's a commonly reused pose referencing Superman #1. He isn't holding anything up on that cover, but he tends to be in homages. Superman lifting things in general is popular because...you know. It's an easy visual way to communicate the idea.

Attached: Silky Smooth 1080p.png (602x979, 1.16M)

>This triggers the snyderfag
youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI

I'll never get why anyone bothers trying to paint Clark as some deeply flawed figure. Flawed, yeah, sure, that works fine. But when he's got no self-control the character is boring as fuck.

nope, thinking of a panel that pretty much recreates this moment fromthe mechanical monsters cartoon, except with rubble instead of lava, and two people underneath superman.

rotoscoping makes sense. i was looking at the numbers on those robots and marveling at how well the animators kept the proportions and perspective from frame to frame. doing something like that without any guides would be absolute torture for anyone but the most gifted of draftsmen. still not done with the doc, but it's an eyeopener.

Attached: supes.png (1068x602, 573K)

Fleischers Superman is the best thing to come out of that studio

>That Lois voice

It's definitely their best use of rotoscoping. It just feels wrong most of the time in their other shorts. I'm more partial to Koko.
youtube.com/watch?v=pX9O4xDW0Kc

It would be absolutely impossible to turn it around as fast as they did (about a year, I think) if they didn't use references. They clearly aren't just tracing so it's still mindblowing.

I'm going to get strung up for this but I think a lot of this early stuff is way too floaty.

A lot of it could use with more weight, but the way Koko expresses himself is wonderful. It's like how in the short where Koko sings "St. James Infirmary," the motion is more fluid once it's rotoscoped but his expressiveness isn't as impactful since they need to alter the character model to fit the pictures.

I have to say that stuff that takes a million dollars to make is objectively bad art.

Don't get me wrong. It looks beautiful. But I strongly feel art should also be a tool for the common man and not just look good.

Art should be prized for its utility in communicating everyones thoughts and feelings not just for a height of aesthetics which isn't even accessible for most people.

>dat animation

Attached: 1355341398488.jpg (300x303, 30K)

I would never call it bad. You can just see how they were still figuring out animation as an art.
Still gorgeous though.

I know this is bait, but it didn't cost a million to make.
It cost a million to get finished in the period of time it was slotted for. A single person could have done it if they also invented rotoscoping and were fine talent, but it would take them much longer.

It’s from the wedding album special, the Curt Swan story.

Look. How is a poor starving homeless guy supposed to make such a thing? If your definition of good art is unreachable by the masses then it will only serve the interests of the rich.

>Unreachable by the masses
What if the masses made it? Who says it has to be one guy? Why is man tied to only what they can do as a singular individual?

The content of that video was good, but the narration could not sound any less interested

I think art is more like a form of language then a type of valuable.