Hey Sup Forums I’m back

Hey Sup Forums I’m back.
I made this thread back in October to help me with indentifying the original Disney Cels I found in a puzzle box I bought at a thrift store. A lot as happened since, but the Mickey piece, an original from Mickey’s rival in 1936(identified by the anons here) just sold for $10,000.
Also through this, I met the son of the background artist. An Oscar winning digital animator in his own right. He did a lot of detective work and found the full story as to how the needed up where I found them. He’s a really cool guy and I would say we’ve become decent friends so far. Naturally he wanted me to give him the cels, but was understanding when I said no.
Just wanted to update you all

Attached: 1A8E73B6-65D4-47E7-87B6-ED1012AD2E81.jpg (2048x1536, 558K)

Go on, please.

What would you like me to say? I can retell the entire story since the archives are gone now I guess

Attached: 100A193D-B6CF-4758-89DE-7F4824E82427.jpg (2048x1536, 521K)

Prepare for greentext
>back in October I went to a local thrift store just to browse around. My mother collects those creepy porcelain dolls that look like they’re steal your soul. I found a puzzle with the dolls on the cover and thought it’d be a nice $2 gift. The box was taped shut with packing tape.
>when I got home I opened it and found 5 cels along with a note explaining that they were original Disney cels that were given to the owner, Harriet reed by her cousin, famed Disney background artist Brice Mack in the early 1940’s.
I immediately came here and posted them and we did detective. The anons helped me search every pre-40’s Disney short to find the exact cartoons and frames they are from and we dug I to Brice Mack to verify the story

To be Continued-

Attached: 2D9B02BD-B867-47BE-91BB-066550426199.jpg (2048x1536, 574K)

That's pretty neat OP

I was wondering if Disney tried to sue you or something. They're such copyright Nazis.

Hey I was wondering about that. Good on ya m80.

What are you gonna blow the 10 grand on?

This is pretty cool stuff dude.

I believe the rules are different for original art.
All of Kirby's legally belonged to him.
I'm sure OP can fill us in though.

Continue
>the note also spoke of Brice’s son Kevin, saying he starred in commercials as a kid and saved up money for his college fund. That’s how the letter ended.
We were able to track down Kevin because he has an IMDB Page and is currently working on this new VR technology. I reached out to him and he got back to me within a week asking for pictures of the letter. He confirmed to me that he did indeed star in the commercial that the letter spoke of, him finding a penny in his shoe, but that he starred in several commercials. He also gave me a lot of personal stories about his dad. Apparently the cels were given to his father because he painted the backgrounds.
>the Mack household needed to be renovated in the mid 40’s, so they had to store a lot of stuff in their cousin’s basement. These cousins, the Reed’s lived in my area since the late 1800’s, according to Kevin, they claimed the cels were lost and his Fathe me never spoke to them again because of this. Kevin himself claims he had no knowledge of them personally and that mkst is this was told to him both by his now deceased father and his older brother.
>we talked some more about a lot of things, I learned a lot about his family, his personal work(he animated the opening to fight club) and he invited me to his exhibit. He wanted the cels for free, but said “If you have to sell them, all I want is high quality scans” and even put me in contact with an animation art house that could be trusted to sell them.
>Kevin was able to verify that these cels had indeed gone missing in the 30’s by talking to his contacts with Disney, so they hadn’t 100% authenticity. I no longer own Mickey, it’s in France now, and the other 4 are still T the art house waiting for a buyer

Attached: 26DDC420-02FD-420F-9DB7-6773F2D7B1E4.jpg (2048x1536, 555K)

According to Kevin, Disney in the 30’s didn’t care about their cels. He told me that his father once said they would give them away for $10 to anyone who called up the studio. That’s why a lot of vintage cels from this area are now lost to time.
However, there’s both a statute of limitations on things, and it has already passed so many hands that legally they were my property when I bought them.
I’m kinda mad I deleted the time stamp picture. I remember one user taking a moment to acknowledge the weird reality of a time stamped original Mickey cel. But like a schmuck I deleted it

Attached: 8176E57F-3087-45D2-8E4D-DAD366DE0949.jpg (2048x1536, 480K)

Thank you OP.

The only remaining mystery is that no one knows how they ended up in a puzzle box st a thrift store or how long they were at the thrift store.

Kevin got me in contact with other animators and I’m using it as a budget to put together a pilot to then pitch to Disney. I got it because of animation, I love animation, this is the best solution. I still have the others to sell as well

Attached: 97D81729-5AF8-48BF-9166-4845E60E2340.jpg (3024x4032, 1.89M)

Oh, that's actually really neat and genuine. Good luck with that.

Thanks. If things work out I will definitely let Sup Forums have input in someway. But sure how though

Be careful with that, as it might infringe on some kinda copyright or rule or something.

I’d make it work in someway. Depends on how the contract works. It’d probably something stupid like a shout out somewhere. I mean all these shows currently think it’s cool to put loss in their shows and nothing has happened. Of course I wouldn’t pick something that cringe

I remember that thread. Great to hear that it turned out well for ya. You got a nice windfall and a cool story to tell your kids. Not bad for 2 bucks!

I don´t think its a good idea to let an autistic hivemind have a desicion on important things, but you could ask us for feed back, or have a character named after Sup Forums or just show a 4 leaf clover somewhere.
Best of luck to you and the pitch guys!

Thanks for the update!

> I’m using it as a budget to put together a pilot to then pitch to Disney.

Bad idea. The last 10 years or so Disney has been rejecting pitches and using them as source material. You'd end up like the zootopia guy.

Pitch to someone else or don't pitch at all. Disney will end up copying you.

Went on a tour at Disney Studios. They did indeed state that they gave no shits about the cels at the time, and that when Roy E Disney was a kid, the staff would do stuff like lay them out in the tunnels and let Roy slide around on them.

My idea is to have a neon sign with a clover and have only the Co and the clover light up for a brief second

Well once it gets made, still in the early planning phase so we’re like 10 months off at the earliest, I will shop it around all over

>Bad idea. The last 10 years or so Disney has been rejecting pitches and using them as source material.
Do you have some stuff to back this up? It's not even that I don't believe you but I've been hearing this more and more and want to know if I can read more about it somewhere.

Not the poster, but anyone who has ever pitched to a tv network has to sign a contract stating that they cannot sue if a similar show is made after the pitch. This effectively makes it possible for them to do this. So I would believe it. But as the saying goes “ten people already have your idea and two people already pitched it” so it could be an honest coincidence

adding to this, instead of just pitching your idea to disney maybe you can enter in festivals where you can show and sell said IP. Like the CTN.

I remember the thread. damn, it's already almost half a year, fuck me. started to write my thesis during that time. good for you, mate. hope you do good with the money

Yeah, I can’t believe it’s been that kinda either. Especially because I got hit with a ton of natural disasters in that’s short span of time
Good luck with your thesis

Good for you user. Glad everything has worked out well. Appreciate the update, it's an interesting story.

Oh, I was in the original thread! Thanks for the update, OP!

We really are here forever, aren't we?

Who bought the Mickey cell?

Of course. I want to keep you all updated throughout the process, but there was no news for months.
Yep.
Some guy in France