Successful show airs for a long time

>successful show airs for a long time
>start adding new characters to the main cast
Dil was the worst part of this show, and Kimi made it even worse.
Why do shows think this shit is a good idea?

Attached: TommyAndDil.jpg (361x322, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/clarissa-explains-it-all-reboot-starring-melissa-joan-hart-works-at-nickelodeon-1094940
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They run out of ideas and adding new cast members can give some fresh perspective.
Usually doesn't work, though.

In the case of the Rugrats the show started off experimentally, with Peter Chung designing the characters and setting the tone - following Nickelodeon's push for FAMILY entertainment. Something that adult would watch with their kids. It was more successful than they expected, the creatives left, and the corporate suits took over, orienting it purely towards kids. By season 3 Rugrats was already trash.

It had also basically finished production, but when Nickelodeon decided to make a movie, they revived it and made new seasons to tie in to the movie. Unfortunately the first movie was a big success so they kept making episodes, with a sequel movie inevitable, despite the lack of ideas/massive drop in quality and fundamental disassociation with the premise that made the show a success in the first place.

The corporate suits would continue to dumb down and aim the show at younger and younger audiences, until the show about babies could only be described as a show for babies. The second movie bombed, but by now it had reached 'brand' status and Nick and even more so Klasky Csupo refused to let it die. The third movie bombed and effectively killed Klasky Csupo.

The writers could just be bored and wanting to spice things up a little for themselves.
Like how Archer completely reinvents its premise every couple of seasons.

Hey, it worked for Fairly Oddparents

Not once, not twice, but THREE fucking times

why does she wear cowboy boots

Attached: 0c3.png (600x886, 264K)

That movie was suprisingly dark.

>Tommy was literally gonna kill Dil

I think it kind of makes sense in Rugrats' case. Getting a new sibling is a big part of being a kid.

New character in established pack always turns out into shit

That's why Ed Edd Eddy works because there are no new ones and people hate school episodes because it's something different instead of established Cul Sac location
People don't like changes in shows

They're afraid of the fact that they need new writers. They don't want to fire their friends. Writers have limited ideas, they need to know when to bench some of them.

To be honest Cosmo and Wanda having a baby wasn't a bad idea, it was a natural progression akin to the Flinstones having Pebbles, it's the execution that served as a harbinger of things to come, they made it too LE ZANY RANDOM with Cosmo being the one to get pregnant, and instead of using the new characters for new ideas, they just repeated Star Wars jokes including that incredibly shitty three hour movie which was essentially a poor man's Something Something Dark Side.

The other two characters were just inexcusably lazy though.

Making fun of Westaboos, a popular trend in Asia to fetishize American culture. Look up Asian greasers for a good hearty laugh.

Attached: Mr._Hyunh_Goes_Country.jpg (768x576, 260K)

I mean, that even applied to classic Simpsons--the original writers were great but once you've seen enough John Swartzwelder episodes, you know more or less what to expect, which is a lot of Hitler references and jokes about stuff that happened in the early 20th century.

Swartzwelder hung on way too long anyway, he was writing scripts into Season 15?

Bill Watterson said he quite doing C&H because he said everything he had to say. Also he never added new characters after the first year of the strip, I think because he understood

Are you mocking the mighty banchō?

Attached: 1510858567331.jpg (799x599, 83K)

It worked for Peanuts. Schulz introduced Peppermint Patty like 16 years into the strip?

first two movies are legit great though

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/clarissa-explains-it-all-reboot-starring-melissa-joan-hart-works-at-nickelodeon-1094940

Get lost, Famicom.

Kimi was okay, but by the time they brought her in, they were already losing steam.

Then Amanda Bynes became their babysitter and the show finally keeled over.

Kimi was certainly less obnoxious than Dil, but she had no personality other than Girl Tommy.

>By season 3 Rugrats was already trash.
Why are you making shit up? Everyone with a brain knows that the original seasons all the way up to the Passover finale are classic. Rugrats only turned to shit after it was uncanceled for the movie. So, once they changed the animation but slightly before they added Dil.

ENTIRE CARTOON IS BABIES

Attached: 150px-Icon_heavy.jpg (150x150, 6K)

To let you know she’s quirky.

I’m more confused as to why Kira dresses her in cowboy boots. Did she let Kimmy pick her own clothes herself?

It never made sense to me in a show like Rugrats where the characters aren’t supposed to age for there to be a sudden nine month timeskip. That is a lot of time in infant development and if you think about it too much it leaves very little room for all of the pre-Dil epidodes. Technically Didi should be gradually pregnant through the whole show.

>Premise of the show is that babies can talk and act "adult" to each other
>Tommy's brother can't do anything of this

was he retarded?

Damn, I barely remember that. That shit was so weird. And the way the parents just suddenly opened that cafe thing out of the blue and then All Grown Up came out and they still had the cafe. I halfway expected the babysitter to be in All Grown Up too but I don’t think she was.

>season 3
>Stu Gets A Job
>Angelica Breaks A Leg
>The Mysterious Mr. Friend
>Angelica's Worst Nightmare
>Home Movie
How was Rugrats so based?

>Angelica Breaks A Leg

LIGHT UP THE NIGHT

bringing cartoons back from cancellation never works

The Jetsons
Rugrats
Doug
Dexter's Lab
Family Guy
Futurama
Celebrity Deathmatch
The Critic
King of the Hill
American Dad
Samurai Jack
ReBoot

none of those were any good after being brought back except a handful of Futurama episodes (namely The Late Philip J Fry) and the first 3 Samurai Jack S5 episodes.

Attached: babyfucker.jpg (650x366, 57K)

>Rugrats only turned to shit after it was uncanceled for the movie
Also EG Daily started doing squeaky voice Tommy. I don't understand the reason for that, but his voice in Seasons 1-3 was a lot less obnoxious.

Chuckie got squeakier-sounding too--they must have gotten a new voice director.

Wasn't that because Nancy Cartwright took over as his VA?

The New Doug was better than the Old Doug
You just think it was bad because Doug sucked in all its iterations

Attached: tianhua-x-26di.jpg (1500x1494, 305K)

IIRC he sounded squeaky when Christina Cavaugna was still doing the voice.

Why did they make dil a strange weirdo in All Grown Up? What was the reasoning behind it?

The others actually remember accidentally dropping him on his head as baby.

All Grown Up could of been great but god the execution was just shit. They ruined Drew and others. The only episode I liked from that show was when Suzy got scammed. That was some heavy shit. Also little to no Grandpa was terrible. Lou made the last seasons of Rugrats at least worth a watch.

Now hold on a minute there, Old Doug has some great episodes like the date one, and the beets songs were great, and a lot of other good ones. Rogers episode about his dad was fucking amazing. Disney Doug didn’t have much good episodes sadly.

>Also little to no Grandpa was terrible
I assume it was implied that he was really freaking old by that point and not very active or able to get around anymore.

Cause kid me fucking loved it. Sure as an adult i can see the lack of quality but as a child this was the dopest thing ever. WHAT THEY'RE ADDING NEW BABIES??! The dil episodes sucked but I remember loving the kimi ones. Grandpa lou moved out the house and got married, there was a huge amount of change and it was flashy and cool

Attached: single female lawyer.jpg (709x2658, 365K)

Because that's how life is. Tommy's still a baby, so it makes sense his parents would have another baby. Charles & Kira's marriage was a reflection on blended families in real life.