Who was in the wrong here?

Who was in the wrong here?

Attached: really makes you think.jpg (480x539, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SmCLgAH2eVo
youtube.com/watch?v=VeQyHc5En08
twitter.com/AnonBabble

since when does the government call themselves heroes?

Superman

I will never support someone with a union jack tatoo on their chest even if they're 100% right

What is it about killing that doesn't make you a "hero"?

Is Manchester a City or united guy?

Attached: Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-17 um 01.01.59.png (1292x270, 55K)

I fucking hate this mentality. The entire thing plays out like every sitcom ever.
>Character discovers a talent, gets rich, becomes smart, or takes a supplement and becomes a great person
>Overdoes it and becomes a bad person
>by the end of the episode they completely give up that one thing and go back to normal
>the moral is fuck moderation
I hate that they had to make them completely irredeemable assholes just so that Superman doesn't come off as wrong.

You for not reading the comic instead

Good guys != heroes

Wait - That's a tattoo? I always thought it was a shirt.

if hes actually from Manchester, then hes probably a City fan.

It's extra dumb when they were 100% right about the Atomic Skull. That guy absolutely needed to be put down, he kills random civilians just to get the attention of Superman for a fight

> Killing him would be wrong, instead lets turn him into a living battery to power this prison in what is somehow not a human rights violation

And now you're just splitting hairs. Manchester's point would have been the same if Superman had said "the good guys".

But they were wrong

Is anyone a fan of the city? I hear it's a shithole

So, who protects the weak from the ones who protect the weak? Huh, Jack?

The entirety of the army.

>Good guys != heroes
Lol do you even read comics? Scratch that, do you even speak English?

Attached: smugs in digital.jpg (669x696, 78K)

Are you retarded?

Wrong about one thing doesn't make every point they ever had wrong.

You know we don't really do enough with Manchester as a Superman rogue. It's nice to have one that doesn't exploit natural Kryptonian weaknesses like Kryptonite or Red Sun Energy, and he's another opposite of Superman's character.

Attached: Manchester Black.jpg (480x604, 47K)

You have to question whose to blame in that scenario though. Superman, for not killing Atomic Skull, or the people in charge of corrections for not building a cell good enough to contain him. It's not Supes fault that supervillains keep breaking out, and he shouldn't be held accountable for it. It's like getting up the police officer who takes in a wanted fugitive, but that fugitive then escapes a jail he doesn't work at.

"Good guys" don't imply heroic acts only a rightful position like defending yourself.

Well he kind of committed suicide in his second arc

I miss when DC animated movies were good

And the rest of the team ended up on an off shit JL team with The Flash.

DC in the 2000's

Well it doesn't help that his mind is stuck in a cow.

It's funny that you think the not-Authority is badly written when they go overboard but when a government decides to put a powerful supervillain to use as a battery it's not. Or that those are irredeemable mass murderers, completely inhuman and absolutely beyond regret. That's totally common.

Yeah him and a whole bunch of other villains they introduced just to barely use.
Well not the exploiting Kryptonite point for one of these obviously but you know what I mean.
Bring back Ignition or Russian Zodd rather then breaking up Clark and Lois!

Attached: Kancer_And_Iggy.png (780x608, 1.06M)

And if the people choose to have him executed using the system, watch as Superman will step in and stop them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You know comics, always a way around this shit. Guy is a telepath, a ridiculous one at that, might as well make him a body hopper

Do not speak ill of JL Elite

When has Superman stopped a government sanctioned execution? That's bullshit. In fact, Jesus, what kind of deranged writer would publish that story?
The only executions Superman would stop are the ones of wrongfully convicted people, proving their innocence in the nick of time.

Thats a perfect way of putting it

I thought it was more they were a direct commentary of The Authority, personalities and all.
Like yeah, they're assholes, but it fits the original characters they're based on. It just happens to work with making them look like they're in the wrong!

Attached: 20110629frozenbubbles.jpg (608x911, 246K)

Easily Manchester Black. Superheroes aren't judge, jury, and executioner.

Why wouldnt the government not execute the guy and use his remains to figure out how to build a battery that doesnt want to kill random people? Why are they not executing these mass murderers and instead spending millions to billions on super prisons they seem to always break out of? In the USA youll get the death penalty for rightfully shooting a cop who accidentally tried to kill you on a no knock raid on the wrong house, but these supervillains who off dozens of cops always end up in prison. Its all contrived bullshit you shouldnt even waste your time thinking about. Its not a realistic world so its completely pointless to try to frame the viewpoints of these characters in a realistic setting.

And if they are appointed so by the system, then what? Are going to say that they are wrong?

The dudes who were running around bragging about killing people, then deliberately fished for a fight so they could kill a superhero to prove how awesome they were.

I'm not thinking it in a realistic setting. In fact I'm thinking it from a narrative point of view. Who wants to read a story in which any of that shit happens, in a superhero comic of all places? Or even if it's in one, in fucking Superman?

Russian Zod was an awesome story.

That'd be a completely different situation

Batman fucks with corrupt cops all the time. If that situation happens, then you're living in a State with no due process that should be overthrown.

Youre right for thinking it how you think it, at least thats what I think

Now let us take this to the next level. Going to play devil's avocate again...Now let us say that there is a race of being on another world who lives this way, and they; the people like it this way. If superman encounter them on their world, is it right for him to stop their way or system? Is it the place for heroes to interfere with other world systems?

Depends how you look at it and given the setting. Logically Superman is wrong because yeah, sometimes police shoot the crazy fuck before shit goes south and save a bunch of innocent people from getting fucked over.

Obviously in a setting of superpowered freaks and monsters, the "hero" should be able to reign themselves in depending on the level of the threat, but if it comes to a fucking psychotic monster with wacky powers that shows up every so often and wipes out a city block's worth of people and the government can't or won't do shit about it then the gloves come off

Isn't that theme literally the storyline of a recent Superman book where some aliens kill themselves in the name of their God and Superman has to explain why it's their right to do so to his son?
Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Superman is an American citizen, though. He's got every right to resist an oppressive government.

I fucking miss pre-9/11 America
Now we're stuck with this murica bullshit and no one can openly criticize the government in cartoons anymore

That's happened before and the resolution is always either a) Superman rightfully allows them to make their own decision or b) shows them evidence of their government being corrupt or secretly evil

If true they literally ripped off a Star Trek TNG episode, but that's OK

Show the universe the power of FREEDOM, huh? I like you. The whole universe will come to love the joys of a good Cheeseburger.

I find "but the people like it" as justification of an oppressive, trigger happy regime a bit flimsy.
>But people love Ming the Merciless! Look how happy they are, waving in their control collars

Superman is super smart and has access to Kryptonian technology in his Fortress of Solitude, why couldn't he design a prison for these fuckers?

And this is why we must bring Shariah, women can't understand how oppressed they are by Western degeneracy.

But isn't this the reason the Phantom Zone exist, so Superman can't put the baddest of baddies no prison can't hold in without resorting to capital punishment?

>so Superman *can

Hilariously enough that is literally the exact logic Doomfags use constantly.
>Doom took over the world and everyone was happy!
>Please ignore how he literally brainwashed the planet without consent to do so
>look see, these brainwashed people are praising him! That means they must enjoy being enslaved!

me for still coming to this board

Does anyone have that gif of a guy punching Superman hard enough his arm explodes?

I hate when people use real life as an argument in the comics. If Superman were real, there wouldn't be any wars.
>B-but muh bottle...!
No. There wouldn't be any wars.

>somehow not a human rights violation
due process face
:^)

Since recorded history

Why dont these fucking superheroes chip in to keep them locked up, they have such a fucking obession of not killing but apparently not enough to actually help the system keep them contained, which it CLEARLY needs.

Let's say that happens. Good guys provide supertech, deter crime and lock up with no possibility of escape every supervillain. Some eventually reform, others carry out life sentences and die in prison.
You just turned all superheo comics into SoL, user. Is this what you wanted, user? IS IT.

>Kelly was so asspained by The Authority that he wrote this shitty story

uhhh yeah that way I can get comics of Clark and Bruce just going out to get ice cream cones!

>You just turned all superheo comics into SoL, user. Is this what you wanted, user?
Yes

I'm happy the Phantom Zone doesn't get used very much. It;s such a "Get out of difficult decisions" free card.

Arkham, Blackgate, Iron Heights, Stryker's Island and others all have state of the art technology for containing superhumans. They break out because they're smart or accidents happen, not because the systems are flawed.

Manchester obviously. Just because you have superpowers doesn't mean you can act like God; dishing out death and judgement.

>They break out because they're smart or accidents happen, not because the systems are flawed.
If the system only work under ideal situations were criminals are dumb are accidents never happen, then the system is flawed.

It sounds like 9/11 was really convenient for the american government.

Attached: 1479937900400.jpg (1047x757, 367K)

Last I checked, capital punishment is the duty of the court system.

Attached: cdc.jpg (577x537, 65K)

>no one can openly criticize the government in cartoons anymore
The anti-Trump stuff is the a form of anti-government, so there is at least some.

its a shirt
I think new 52 made it a tattoo for a bit

bump

No one hates the government, they just hate Trump. The moment he leaves office, it'll be blind worship once again, especially if Oprah gets elected.

It was always a tattoo

Attached: Action Comics V1938 #775 - What's so Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way_ (2001_3 (1536x2048, 438K)

Superman, of course. There is nothing wrong with killing a dangerous villains. This whole story is just a strawman convincing audiences that it's OK for Superman and other capes to maintain the status quo. These types of stories aren't about progressing stories or real ideologies. They're created just to excuse reusing villains and getting nerds to buy the same comics over and over gain.

Attached: 250px-Kamen_rider_eurodata.png (250x375, 178K)

You're not really wrong. It's more of a problem with trying to make them dramas while keeping them perpetual and shared universe bullshit. Silver Age whacky nonsense Superman can totally last forever. John Byrne Superman has an expiration date.

At least they weren't fucking David Graves.
Remember David Graves?! He's going to turn the superhero monomyth on its head, guys!!

Geoff honestly thought that character was gonna go somewhere.

the real solution is to dial things back to how they were in the Silver Age and Early Bronze age where Supervillains killing was an extremely rare occurrence, at least for recurring villains, makes it so "Heroes don't kill" isn't really much of an issue anymore

agreed Ignition was a great concept

>This whole story is just a strawman convincing audiences that it's OK for Superman and other capes to maintain the status quo
lol no
The Authority was hot shit at the time and it spawned a bunch of me-too "edgy justice league" style heroes that sucked balls and is honestly more responsible for the 90s edge meme than Rob Liefeld's entire body of work. Warner Bros, who at the time didn't own Wildstorm yet, were pushing DC to make the Justice League, particularly Superman, into a dangerous killer that might take over the world at any given moment. It's obvious to everyone that this is a shitty idea that wouldn't work, but that's mostly because of this story (as well as general market exhaustion with the concept). It was a necessary cleanse after the Authority.

In the movie he has a quick offhanded line about getting the union jack on his chest.

No, Good guys just mean people who are just, doesn't mean they are heroes. Dipshit.

You question the God of War Himself?

Friendly reminder that if Superman and other superheroes start goes around killing, they've effectively proven that Lex Luthor is right.

It'd at least make a nice change of pace after all these years of the same circular bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=SmCLgAH2eVo

youtube.com/watch?v=VeQyHc5En08

Nope.

>Friendly reminder that if Superman and other superheroes start goes around killing, they've effectively proven that Lex Luthor is right.

You doubt the infallible wonder that is Lex Luthor? The follower of luthorferianism will show you your imstake.

Doomsday can just Super Buu his way out of the Phantom Zone because the writers love to continue to write themselves further into a corner.

>Super Hero: I will not kill because that would make me a killer. However I will assault the guy who does all the assaulting.

Really thinks me make!

Is that Union Jack?

Family Guy seems like the one show that had moderation is good as a moral. Peter was overdrinking and died and went on a journey with Death, and at the end of the episode, he still drinks beer, but throws away all but two beer cans.

Superman was in the wrong, there's no argument.

>Silver Age whacky nonsense Superman can totally last forever. John Byrne Superman has an expiration date.
This is the truth about comics. Serious comics should have a start and end, while SA can go continuously and should be the main universe.

Caped heroes are supposed to be better than governments

Manchester Black

Family Guy is one of the biggest offenders.
>Peter is amazing at football but can’t play because he goes overboard
>Peter runs an amazing cookie store with strippers, but gives it up because he goes overboard
>Peter and Quagmire are great musicians but get carried away and don’t sing anymore
>Chris is an amazing painter, but doesn’t make art anymore because he doesn’t want to give up his family
>Peter and Quagmire make an amazing cooking show but go overboard and give it up
Don’t even get me started on the times Peter realizes he doesn’t treat Lois well and promises to not do the exact same thing he does until the next time they recycle the plot